Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,581 members, 7,820,103 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:43 AM

Aside Fintech, What Should Nigerian Developers Build ? - Programming (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Aside Fintech, What Should Nigerian Developers Build ? (2525 Views)

Nigerian Developers How Did You Master Algorithm And Problem Solving / Nigerian Developers Celebrate Wordpress 15th Anniversary / Nigerian Developers Aren't Creative (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Aside Fintech, What Should Nigerian Developers Build ? by Unbiased1: 9:49am On Jan 13, 2023
truthCoder:

You are very right.

It is expensive, not only in terms of cash but in skills, time and commitments. But no one says it should be his resources.

He needs to build a prototype. A small part of the gameplay that represents the concepts and ideas. This needs to be of very high quality.

He then can seek for funding to expand on this idea. He would need a business strategy to ensure that investors get returns.

There are angel investors everywhere who are ready to fund viable projects.

I have seen guys with just a laptop and nothing else get funding for their projects.

The most painful part of all this would be the day someone launches this project with less resources than what he has and he regrets not even trying.

I have checked the guy's comments on this thread and I can tell that the guy is a prospective web developer probably with a system capable of handling web development so I feel we should suggest more web dev or software/app dev projects which can be run with 4gb RAM systems. If you check the system requirements of Unreal Engine or Unity 3d, you will see that the guy needs a laptop of about 800k or so to get started because the laptop must have a minimum dedicated graphics card of Nvidia RTX 1060 so game Dev should be left alone for now.
Re: Aside Fintech, What Should Nigerian Developers Build ? by WebMind: 9:54am On Jan 13, 2023
This is funny. Build whatever has a problem it solves.
Re: Aside Fintech, What Should Nigerian Developers Build ? by YoungCabal: 11:18am On Jan 13, 2023
LittleBigDick:

Foss stuffs pays well

You just have to do creative work and publish your works so that the world can see

Everybody just want to build startups
No one is building creative works anymore

There are a Linux distro made by a few Africans with two nigerians involved

http://linuxforniggers.us/about
( The website link seems dead)

There are a lot of things that need building
Build free first , money will surely come

There are companies sponsoring Nigerians doing creative work eg the guy dat did mvrd lookup on GitHub

When I started building a linux distro back then my goal was to offer a monthly subscription for ''paid support'' and a macOS like user interface, I'm not the kind of person that likes to wait for manner to fall from the sky, I prefer to be in charge of my destiny and I believe that's how anyone who wants to go far in life should think.

If you want to run a business, you must start thinking about how to make profit from day 1 not luck, even the largest open source company REDHAT use to offer paid certification and a paid support before they got acquired by IBM, you need a stream of revenue to keep the company running in the early days before you get that partnership or support from a bigger company else you will shut down in few months and lose all your investments.
Re: Aside Fintech, What Should Nigerian Developers Build ? by YoungCabal: 11:52am On Jan 13, 2023
Unbiased1:

I have checked the guy's comments on this thread and I can tell that the guy is a prospective web developer probably with a system capable of handling web development so I feel we should suggest more web dev or software/app dev projects which can be run with 4gb RAM systems. If you check the system requirements of Unreal Engine or Unity 3d, you will see that the guy needs a laptop of about 800k or so to get started because the laptop must have a minimum dedicated graphics card of Nvidia RTX 1060 so game Dev should be left alone for now.

The problem with most people on NL is that when you bring up a discussion, they prefer to give advice rather than discuss and when you disagree with them, they derail the thread and start insulting you.

It might shock you to know that I have a game dev experience, it's why I refused to engage that guy in the first place, godot doesn't require that much specs you listed up there and you can export 3d assets from blender to godot these days, the hardest aspect is cash to pay your partners to keep them motivated, it's not a job one can do alone especially the 3d modeling and sound creation/voice overs.

BTW! You are right to some extent about me, I'm a full stack engineer with a security background, I've worked as a sysadmin before, I use golang and php/laravel on the backend and tailwindcss with vuejs on the frontend, I settle with flutter for cross platform development.

I wouldn't want to reveal more about myself here

3 Likes

Re: Aside Fintech, What Should Nigerian Developers Build ? by YoungCabal: 12:03pm On Jan 13, 2023
WebMind:
This is funny. Build whatever has a problem it solves.
LMAO! Your comment cracked me up.
Re: Aside Fintech, What Should Nigerian Developers Build ? by Ajibade123(m): 12:06pm On Jan 13, 2023
qtguru:

EduTech / B2B (Ideas that help a business grow)

B2C are hard
Don't you think there are lotbor edutech already?
Re: Aside Fintech, What Should Nigerian Developers Build ? by Ajibade123(m): 12:19pm On Jan 13, 2023
truthCoder:

First, you are just a php thing. Nothing bad with php or your choice but thats just you. You cannot see beyond your templates and scripts. This is why you see other projects as unreachable.

Secondly, i dont give a hoot if you use php or angel blood to write your codes. If you can deliver, thats all that matters. Just dont start feeling like other people cannot achieve what you have decided you cannot achieve.

Third, you know almost nothing about linux. If you can open your mouth waaaa to say linux should be profitable, then you really dont get it…no matter what you claim to use.

Except you are Linus Torvalds, your dick-wagging claims of using gentoo sounds so absurd and out of place that one begins to understand your inferiority complex .

There are over 600 active linux distros which were built by humans…not aliens. Anyone with time and skill can fork his own Linux and start tweaking. This does not give you Voltron or SuperTed powers.

You have a Nairaland clone with bad colors. Neon and black everywhere like a cheap brothel’s romp night. If i was commenting on that clone, you would have yanked me off for disagreeing with your myopic views. But here, only seun or the mods can yank me off.

Now, cry me a river mister CloneLand

I feel both of you guys have a point
Both of you should try to swallow your ego and see from each other endpoint thoroughly
Re: Aside Fintech, What Should Nigerian Developers Build ? by JoyousFurnitire(m): 1:22pm On Jan 13, 2023
YoungCabal:
AI for what exactly ?

AI for anything damn thing you can think of. Yesterday I was chatting with an AI built for the purpose of sexting lmao grin

1 Like

Re: Aside Fintech, What Should Nigerian Developers Build ? by Unbiased1: 8:04pm On Jan 13, 2023
YoungCabal:

The problem with most people on NL is that when you bring up a discussion, they prefer to give advice rather than discuss and when you disagree with them, they derail the thread and start insulting you.

It might shock you to know that I have a game dev experience, it's why I refused to engage that guy in the first place, godot doesn't require that much specs you listed up there and you can export 3d assets from blender to godot these days, the hardest aspect is cash to pay your partners to keep them motivated, it's not a job one can do alone especially the 3d modeling and sound creation/voice overs.

BTW! You are right to some extent about me, I'm a full stack engineer with a security background, I've worked as a sysadmin before, I use golang and php/laravel on the backend and tailwindcss with vuejs on the frontend, I settle with flutter for cross platform development.

I wouldn't want to reveal more about myself here

Good to know. I also know a thing or two about game development and full stack web development. I work with React on the front-end, node js, mongoose and Mongodb on the back-end and React Native for cross platform development.
I actually started game development a few years back but my system was too slow to run Unreal Engine so I just had to quit game development for the mean time after I had learnt the basics of C++ and was also learning Unreal Engine blueprint.
I also build 3d models with blender and animate them and I know how long it takes me to build a 3d model that has good topology with the minimum amount of polygons to make it light when I import it into Unreal Engine that was why I was trying to explain some of the stress involved in creating the kind of AA game the other guy wants you to create.

1 Like

Re: Aside Fintech, What Should Nigerian Developers Build ? by YoungCabal: 8:39pm On Jan 13, 2023
Unbiased1:

Good to know. I also know a thing or two about game development and full stack web development. I work with React on the front-end, node js, mongoose and Mongodb on the back-end and React Native for cross platform development.
I actually started game development a few years back but my system was too slow to run Unreal Engine so I just had to quit game development for the mean time after I had learnt the basics of C++ and was also learning Unreal Engine blueprint.
I also build 3d models with blender and animate them and I know how long it takes me to build a 3d model that has good topology with the minimum amount of polygons to make it light when I import it into Unreal Engine that was why I was trying to explain some of the stress involved in creating the kind of AA game the other guy wants you to create.
I was just laughing behind the scene when I read where the guy suggested building part of the game and using it to convince angel investors.

Lol! If only he knew the amount of work that is needed to build a single episode of such game, he wouldn't have mentioned it. You'll have to go through a long session of work without pay before you can even come up with anything tangible enough to convince any investor.

He thought I was talking cluelessly, I have worn the shoe and I know where it hurts most, a lot of us who build apps today wanted to be game developers as kids, after you see hell, nobody will tell you to look for something else to do with your gift

3d game development is not a child's play even abroad, small companies don't attempt to build big games like that, you have to be a well established game studio.
Re: Aside Fintech, What Should Nigerian Developers Build ? by LittleBigDick(m): 5:35am On Jan 14, 2023
YoungCabal:
I was just laughing behind the scene when I read where the guy suggested building part of the game and using it to convince angel investors.

Lol! If only he knew the amount of work that is needed to build a single episode of such game, he wouldn't have mentioned it. You'll have to go through a long session of work without pay before you can even come up with anything tangible enough to convince any investor.

He thought I was talking cluelessly, I have worn the shoe and I know where it hurts most, a lot of us who build apps today wanted to be game developers as kids, after you see hell, nobody will tell you to look for something else to do with your gift

3d game development is not a child's play even abroad, small companies don't attempt to build big games like that, you have to be a well established game studio.

Building games especially 3d requires great knowledge of math and physics .

Games like Minecraft, Doom, Duke Nukem were built solo first before it became big

With the help of internet and tools , anyone can release a full fledged 3d game provided he has the knowledge to do so

1 Like

Re: Aside Fintech, What Should Nigerian Developers Build ? by LittleBigDick(m): 5:42am On Jan 14, 2023
Unbiased1:

The kind of game you are asking him to build (Biafran war game) is not the kind he can build at his level now. A war game is like a Battle Royale game and requires 3d artists, programmers, knowledge of gaming engines, high end PC with high-end graphics cards etc. I'm not sure the op is financially buoyant enough for such project. If you know how much time he will spend creating the models alone if he decides to go solo in the game making process, you will pity him. Do you know much 3d artists sell their works or how much they will charge you to join your team of designers? What of the amount of money required to purchase the necessary hardware and the monthly cost of electricity to create the game. Game development is not easy especially when you want a high class game like a war game.

There are tools that can handle that like dalle

Blender is another great tool to do so

AI is now making game dev easier than ever
Re: Aside Fintech, What Should Nigerian Developers Build ? by truthCoder: 7:51am On Jan 14, 2023
YoungCabal:

Thanks for letting us know you cannot.

Don’t assume others cannot too.

Here is a link to last year’s Unity Developer Day held in AD. Next one is coming up soon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2hnPNjIRyI

This is my alt account so I won’t be revealing much more than necessary but the event was held not far from me and i know someone who attended and got his current role from the networking he made there.

The simple fact that you cannot do it doesn’t mean others cannot.

You are just being obtuse.
Re: Aside Fintech, What Should Nigerian Developers Build ? by YoungCabal: 9:28am On Jan 14, 2023
LittleBigDick:

Building games especially 3d requires great knowledge of math and physics .

Games like Minecraft, Doom, Duke Nukem were built solo first before it became big

With the help of internet and tools , anyone can release a full fledged 3d game provided he has the knowledge to do so
Shup up, please ! There are lots of resources on the internet doesn't mean anyone can just jump on to anything and succeed at it in 20 minutes, no matter how smart you are, we all have 24 hours in a day, you can't beat time.

I don't blame you though, it's online where you can compose rubbish and post while pretending to be woke, deep down, you know what reality is so, I won't bother arguing with you.
Re: Aside Fintech, What Should Nigerian Developers Build ? by YoungCabal: 9:40am On Jan 14, 2023
truthCoder:

Thanks for letting us know you cannot.

Don’t assume others cannot too.

Here is a link to last year’s Unity Developer Day held in AD. Next one is coming up soon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2hnPNjIRyI

This is my alt account so I won’t be revealing much more than necessary but the event was held not far from me and i know someone who attended and got his current role from the networking he made there.

The simple fact that you cannot do it doesn’t mean others cannot.

You are just being obtuse.
You know someone who attended but it wasn't you ? Why weren't you there yourself, loser ?

CLUMSY ATTENTION SEEKING MOFO !

Like I said earlier, I won't engage you directly no matter how you cry. I'm out of here, the thread is all yours to feed on
Re: Aside Fintech, What Should Nigerian Developers Build ? by truthCoder: 9:53am On Jan 14, 2023
YoungCabal:
You know someone who attended but it wasn't you ? Why weren't you there yourself, loser ?

CLUMSY ATTENTION SEEKING MOFO !

Like I said earlier, I won't engage you directly no matter how you cry. I'm out of here, the thread is all yours to feed on

Dear Goat,
I started commenting on this subject by stating that i am not a game developer. I dont claim what i dont have, unlike you and your neon-themed Nairaland.

Why would i attend a gamers’ seminar when i am not one?

You have said it many times that you are out of this thread, yet you are still here sounding dumber than a donkey with each comment.

If you comment on this thread again, then you are a vomit-eating despicable composition of rejected cells who should never be taken seriously.
Re: Aside Fintech, What Should Nigerian Developers Build ? by LittleBigDick(m): 9:55am On Jan 14, 2023
YoungCabal:
Shup up, please ! There are lots of resources on the internet doesn't mean anyone can just jump on to anything and succeed at it in 20 minutes, no matter how smart you are, we all have 24 hours in a day, you can't beat time.

I don't blame you though, it's online where you can compose rubbish and post while pretending to be woke, deep down, you know what reality is so, I won't bother arguing with you.

Oga , once you're very skilled in mathematics and Physics not secondary School mathematics and Physics, I'm talking about motivic cohomology and l'hospital rule

Nowadays we have full fledged game engines that can do the work for us

Back in the day , most people didn't have that option , they were using the likes of game libraries like sdl, sfml

I've been developing games for a while so I know most of the things

There are a lot of things one need to know before creating a game

You can even create a game with Java with the help of tools like Libgdx and publish it in a week

I started with Visual basic creating text based games for my GBA in Jss3 which I dropped and move to Java in 2015 and start creating games for symbian phones

1 Like

Re: Aside Fintech, What Should Nigerian Developers Build ? by bougeemarvel(m): 11:18am On Jan 14, 2023
Deleted
Re: Aside Fintech, What Should Nigerian Developers Build ? by javaRookie: 12:02pm On Jan 14, 2023
YoungCabal:
One of the reasons I have refused to engage you in this thread is because you are too insultive and childish, shift abeg let people who are worth responding to see space, stop derailing my thread

Leave that clown alone. He thinks building a game is same thing as cooking indomie.

Dope games like GTA, took 5 to 6 years to complete with billions of dollars spent on both manpower and ads.

There are several aspects to building modern games which includes:
Sound Engineering.
Scenery designer
Screen Writers
Voice Over artist
Background Designer
Character design
Game logic Devs
And tons of other stuff.

Also, building is not where it ends, you need to invest heavily in ads across social networks to get people to install your game.

Like I said before, leave that clown alone, once he mentioned that he was not a developer, I stopped taking him serious.

Just one bug can take you weeks to debug, not to talk of a large codebase found in Game development.

You might even build a game and the revenue generated hits the floor. Then you declare bankruptcy and surrender to poverty.

1 Like

Re: Aside Fintech, What Should Nigerian Developers Build ? by truthCoder: 12:24pm On Jan 14, 2023
javaRookie:

Leave that clown alone. He thinks building a game is same thing as cooking indomie.

Dope games like GTA, took 5 to 6 years to complete with billions of dollars spent on both manpower and ads.

Sound Engineering.
Scenery designer
Screen Writers
Voice Over artist
Background Designer
Character design
Game logic Devs
And tons of other stuff.

Also, building is not where it ends, you need to invest heavily in ads across social networks to get people to install your game.

Like I said before, leave that clown alone, once he mentioned that he was not a developer, I stopped taking him serious.

Just one bug can take you weeks to debug, not to talk of a large codebase found in Game development.

You might even build a game and the revenue generated hits the floor. Then you declare bankruptcy and surrender to poverty.

Says the !clown who makes posts like these:

Re: Aside Fintech, What Should Nigerian Developers Build ? by Arrayman: 9:40pm On Jan 15, 2023
javaRookie:

Sound Engineering.
Scenery designer
Screen Writers
Voice Over artist
Background Designer
Character design
Game logic Devs
And tons of other stuff.

2d games are easier to build though.
Re: Aside Fintech, What Should Nigerian Developers Build ? by tfwebbs: 1:22pm On Jan 16, 2023
On demand service
Re: Aside Fintech, What Should Nigerian Developers Build ? by Alphabyte1: 2:11pm On Jan 16, 2023
I have many game source codes in Unity or unreal some are 2 to 3 gigabyte rpg games for a single game
Re: Aside Fintech, What Should Nigerian Developers Build ? by Fourpockets: 8:42pm On Jan 16, 2023
YoungCabal:
Asking for a friend because na only fintech dey my head so
Games especially web3 type games.
Re: Aside Fintech, What Should Nigerian Developers Build ? by Unbiased1: 10:20pm On Jan 16, 2023
javaRookie:

Sound Engineering.
Scenery designer
Screen Writers
Voice Over artist
Background Designer
Character design
Game logic Devs
And tons of other stuff.

That guy thinks its the same thing as doing rock paper scissors game with JavaScript.
Re: Aside Fintech, What Should Nigerian Developers Build ? by tartar9(m): 10:38pm On Jan 17, 2023
YoungCabal:
Yes, many things dey to build but how many can generate a reasonable amount of revenue to sustain a startup in Nigeria ? Last time I checked, Nigerians don't like paying for software or any form of online service no matter how small the fee is
How many of the popular software we use everyday do we pay for?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Who Can Teach Me Programming Around OTA, Ogun State / Gurus In The House: Macbook Or Windows, Which Is Best For Programming ? / How Long It Takes For Back Links To Reflect In Serps

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.