Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,761 members, 7,824,184 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 03:20 AM

Traders Reject New Naira Notes In Niger - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Traders Reject New Naira Notes In Niger (23716 Views)

Long Queues As Residents Rush For New Naira Notes In Kano (pics) / Traders, Transporters Reject New Naira Notes / New Naira Notes Unveiled (Pictures) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Traders Reject New Naira Notes In Niger by DamnnNiggarr: 6:32pm On Jan 10, 2023
Traders reject new naira notes in Niger

With few weeks to the final withdrawal of the old Naira notes from circulation, most traders especially in the rural areas are rejecting the new notes for business transactions.

For those who are aware of the new notes in circulation, see the January 31st deadline for the withdrawal of the old notes as not realisable and have therefore demanded an extension.

However, the Central Bank of Nigeria,(CBN) has made it clear to them that the January 31st remains unchanged and therefore urged them to beat the deadline.

The Central Bank of Nigeria, Minna branch led by the Niger Branch Controller, Ademola Mohammed Saheed had gone on a sensitization drive on the new naira notes to the traders at the Ultra Modern Kure Market in Minna yesterday.

The traders said transactions with many traders especially in the rural areas had been very difficult because they are refusing the new notes from them.

They also said Banks and ATMs across the state are still dispensing the old banknotes thereby forcing them to be transacting their businesses with the old notes.

One of the traders, Yusuf Mohammed said, “those in the rural communities are not aware of the new banknotes and the deadline and they are not even collecting the new notes from those of us who are privileged to have them. I think there is a need for increased sensitization of the new notes to convince them that they are legal.

Speaking in the same vein, the Market Woman Leader, Rebecca James also lamented that the traders have refused to collect the new banknotes when it is being given to them for goods brought thereby making business transactions very difficult.

Some of us are aware of the deadline but the banks and ATMs are still giving us the old banknotes. When we go to the bush markets, the villagers there are not collecting the new money. If you give them the new money alongside the old ones, they will pick the new ones out and tell you to change them.

From all indications, traders in the villages and bush markets do not know about the new banknotes and they need to know. It would not be fair if they have money that they will not be able to spend or spend later for no reason of theirs but because of a lack of adequate sensitization. It is from these bush markets that we buy our goods and this is why we are asking that the withdrawal should be extended”, she suggested.

The Niger Branch Controller of the Central Bank of Nigeria, Ademola Mohammed Saheed while responding assured that there are enough new banknotes in the CBN Treasury adding that banks and ATMs have started dispensing the new Naira notes.

“For six weeks now, we have not been giving the banks the old currency. The old currency still in circulation is there because of the quantum which is so much. We have been giving banks new currency to dispense and we have been calling them to come and collect the new banknotes as we have them in the treasury.

On the January 31st deadline, the Branch Controller said that it remains sacrosanct as there would be no extension unless the CBN Governor or the government decides otherwise.

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2023/01/traders-reject-new-naira-notes-in-niger/

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Traders Reject New Naira Notes In Niger by Nbote(m): 6:34pm On Jan 10, 2023
What is even more annoying is why are banks still paying the old notes to customers?? After asking ppl to deposit old notes they are still paying out old notes

160 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Traders Reject New Naira Notes In Niger by Muhammad234: 6:44pm On Jan 10, 2023
True

Last week I went to buy meat in tunga i see many people rejecting the new currency �

11 Likes

Re: Traders Reject New Naira Notes In Niger by DamnnNiggarr: 6:50pm On Jan 10, 2023
Went to purchase some items from a shop that is owned and managed by a sexagenarian and got the shock of my life when the old lady rejected the new naira notes with which I'd wanted to pay for the good, saying she didn't know the type of money that was.

34 Likes 1 Share

Re: Traders Reject New Naira Notes In Niger by Felabrity: 8:00pm On Jan 10, 2023
This change go hard for Nigerians to accept in 1 month

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: Traders Reject New Naira Notes In Niger by kereman1: 8:00pm On Jan 10, 2023
I believe the cost of production of this new notes is less compared to the old ones, because of the reduction in color quality,

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: Traders Reject New Naira Notes In Niger by Sonnobax15(m): 8:00pm On Jan 10, 2023
grin
They should continue fooling themselves......The fact is that the new currency has come to stay whether they like it or not lipsrsealed.

34 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Traders Reject New Naira Notes In Niger by MANNABBQGRILLS: 8:00pm On Jan 10, 2023
Sensitize them

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Traders Reject New Naira Notes In Niger by Terrorwrist: 8:01pm On Jan 10, 2023
The government! They failed us!!

5 Likes

Re: Traders Reject New Naira Notes In Niger by wisdom042(m): 8:01pm On Jan 10, 2023
I entered keke one morning na so the driver say if na new currency I wan pay with him no go accept and na only 1k new naira note dey my hand. Na so fight start o

22 Likes

Re: Traders Reject New Naira Notes In Niger by MANNABBQGRILLS: 8:02pm On Jan 10, 2023
DamnnNiggarr:
Went to purchase some items from a shop that is owned and managed by a sexagenarian and got the shocked of my life when the old lady rejected the new naira notes with which I'd wanted to pay for the good, saying she didn't know the type of money that was.
Damn!
Illiteracy is not a disease,
It's something worse.

15 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Traders Reject New Naira Notes In Niger by MANNABBQGRILLS: 8:02pm On Jan 10, 2023
wisdom042:
I entered keke one morning na so the driver say if na new currency I wan pay with him no go accept and na only 1k new naira note dey my hand. Na so fight start o
Lol cheesy,
@the bolded,
Who come win now...

We too like gist for dem MANNA

wisdom042:

Omo me run o the guy carry plank I no get him strength
Hehehehe grin cheesy wink
Shey u no break person papa head o grin cheesy

9 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Traders Reject New Naira Notes In Niger by toyinjimoh(m): 8:02pm On Jan 10, 2023
They do not have choice than to accept it as long as is not fake..the old new naira note will be worse though

1 Like

Re: Traders Reject New Naira Notes In Niger by Nobody: 8:02pm On Jan 10, 2023
The new notes are in circulation in Minna already. In no time, these rural areas will catch up wink.

4 Likes

Re: Traders Reject New Naira Notes In Niger by phemmyfour: 8:02pm On Jan 10, 2023
Illiterate 5.0

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Traders Reject New Naira Notes In Niger by Father4all: 8:02pm On Jan 10, 2023
There is too much confusion in this Buhari's Government

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Traders Reject New Naira Notes In Niger by IGoComotYaTeeth: 8:03pm On Jan 10, 2023
Illiteracy is much in the north and They are fixated on making a drug Lord and commander of awawa boys the president of Nigeria, were finished for this country

6 Likes

Re: Traders Reject New Naira Notes In Niger by anytexy: 8:04pm On Jan 10, 2023
They must be high on something right?
Re: Traders Reject New Naira Notes In Niger by seanwilliam(m): 8:04pm On Jan 10, 2023
E look like fake
Re: Traders Reject New Naira Notes In Niger by MANNABBQGRILLS: 8:04pm On Jan 10, 2023
Father4all:
There is too much confusion in this Buhari's Government
Keep silent and stop confusing yourself.

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Traders Reject New Naira Notes In Niger by MarketDispatch: 8:04pm On Jan 10, 2023
Nbote:
What is even more annoying is why are banks still paying the old notes to customers?? After asking ppl to deposit old notes they are still paying out old notes

Too damn right. CBN told people to deposit old notes, Banks decided to be paying out the old notes deposited...this is part of the rascality PO is talking about.

Why is CBN not asking banks to deposit their old notes with CBN

10 Likes

Re: Traders Reject New Naira Notes In Niger by Obaofaba: 8:04pm On Jan 10, 2023
The new naira notes looks like fake

2 Likes

Re: Traders Reject New Naira Notes In Niger by REALretep(m): 8:05pm On Jan 10, 2023
Cruise MBuhari administration
There's nothing bad in changing currency but it should be done sensibly, taking a lot of factors into consideration
Re: Traders Reject New Naira Notes In Niger by werisetogether(m): 8:05pm On Jan 10, 2023
But seriously

The photographer who took this pic deserves some sort of award. (Or maybe it's the lighting or some graphics stunt)

Saw the N1000 note today and I was a bit disappointed

But hey, we'll still get used to it...

9 Likes

Re: Traders Reject New Naira Notes In Niger by blowjohn(m): 8:05pm On Jan 10, 2023
Omo I reject am today o.

The thing no look real

3 Likes

Re: Traders Reject New Naira Notes In Niger by kingsways: 8:05pm On Jan 10, 2023
Rubbish

People should stop using cash. They should use other channels

2 Likes

Re: Traders Reject New Naira Notes In Niger by Enddy50ty(m): 8:06pm On Jan 10, 2023
You
Re: Traders Reject New Naira Notes In Niger by Nursepepeye(f): 8:06pm On Jan 10, 2023
Nbote:
as in ehn! You can imagine how confused Nigeria is.
Re: Traders Reject New Naira Notes In Niger by Sabadon(m): 8:06pm On Jan 10, 2023
Nbote:
like seriously, thats my annoyance, can anything work in Nigeria

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Michael Ikuku's N4M, $150k, Phones, Bag, Cheque Stolen At His Son's Wedding / Have You Mistakenly Credited A Bank Account Before? Share Your Experience / Abideen Olasupo Returns $2,397 Credited To His Account In Error (Pix)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.