Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,742 members, 7,824,142 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 12:23 AM

Was Abiola An International Drug Baron? - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Was Abiola An International Drug Baron? (23335 Views)

Mko Abiola's Daughter Bags £100,000 Deal At Dragons Den Uk / With Waseet, Kola Abiola Bounces Back Into Media Business / How Do I Get An International Passport (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Was Abiola An International Drug Baron? by mekusxxx: 1:21am On May 05, 2010
Was Abiola an International Drug Baron?

The late Bashorun Moshood Kashimawo Olawale Abiola was indeed a famous powerful distinguished Nigerian who unfortunately suffered state terrorism for his dogged insistence on actualising his June 12 1993 presidential mandate criminally usurped by the military cabal in power led by Gen. Ibrahim Babangida. Chief Abiola was allegedly beaten to death in detention after Gen. Abacha suddenly died while playing the game of intimacy with imported love-peddlers which constituted one of his hobbies.

Prof. Humphrey Nwosu, the man who headed the electoral commission that flawlessly organised the June 12 poll has told us recently what transpired during those tensed days before, during and after the clean poll. According to the magniloquent professor of political science MKO Abiola won the presidential election without any 'wuru-wuru' or 'mago-mago' which sadly characterised the April 2007 electoral exercise.

Bashorun Abiola, in the consciousness of millions of Nigerians remained the best president Nigeria never had after the late sage, Chief Obafemi Awolowo. MKO Abiola's rag-to-riches story was widely known. As a child of destiny he was said to have sold firewood to be able to sponsor his elementary education having been born to poor parents.

Before the June 12 martyr met his tragic death in the Abacha gulag he had famously become one of the celebrated richest Nigerians, a benevolent billionaire whose business empire included the defunct 'Concord' media group, Abiola bakery, Abiola bookshops, Abiola farms and other industrial investments at home and abroad.

This treatise was motivated by an article entitled "Nwosu, June 12, Two Party System" published Thursday, 19 June 2008 online, and authored by one Dr Abayomi Ferreira.  Nothing really was wrong with the piece but one of the registered respondents with a moniker "Ocnus" had raised a serious issue in his reaction which must not be ignored.

Dr. Gary K. Busch alias 'Ocnus' had the following to say about June 12 and late Abiola: "At the risk of annoying people I shall point out again that while it is no doubt true that IBB voided the June 12 election and precipitated a national emergency the truth behind that has never been fully understood by the Nigerian populace. The Nigerian military were adamant that the Babangida government should never allow Abiola to run for office. The basis for this was the information being circulated in Washington, London and Lagos of Abiola's alleged ties to the drugs business. The US, in particular, had expressed its strong opposition to Abiola as President; not because of his politics or allegations of corruption, but rather for the evidence they felt was correct about Abiola's alleged drugs connections.

This was raised in the Military Council on three occasions and Babangida was warned. He refused to take a decision until it was almost too late. When he did he precipitated the crisis of June 12. His friends in the military supported him but were let down by IBB's lack of decisiveness. US Ambassador Walker and others visited IBB and told him but he dithered which made the impact worse." 

Ordinarily one should have dismissed the 'Ocnus' submission as a wild claim or

a weird speculation of a distant observer struggling to be recognised and heard but given Dr. Gary K. Busch's many published exposés on the dog-eat-dog politics of the Nigerian military -- something crucially profound that investigatively cast him aside (much like Mr Max Siollun) as either a well-paid foreign spy or a confidential insider in the Nigerian power house -- the drug-running connections to which the late Abiola was linked must not pass without raising interesting questions.

Was MKO Abiola an international drug baron? Or was that pinned on him by his local and foreign enemies as grounds to deny him his deserved electoral victory? It is often said that behind every great fortune there's a great crime but in MKO's case behind his vast fortune Nigerians had thought rightly or wrongly that he meritoriously worked for it and took time out to narrate how it all began, how he had dreamt and pursued his dreams and ideas of overcoming poverty.

Again one is obliged to ask: was the drug-running connections the major reason behind the annulment of Abiola's presidential poll triumph? Or better still was that what IBB explained away to the assembled high-profile traditional rulers from Yorubaland led by the Ooni of Ife during the June 12 national political crisis after which Ooni Sijuwade told a bewildered nation that "Babangida was making some sense"? He never told us the kind of sense Babangida was making?

Well 'Ocnus' must throw more light on this subject-matter since he appears to know more and possess more classified documents and infos that are not in our possession. Dr Busch is presumably an American who knows the Nigerian military power game more than many of us. No one is begrudging him for that deep knowledge of the inner workings of our depraved generals but he needs to come forward with more facts in support of his statement.

Abiola was no saint! Like many other successful Nigerians of his generation he had his shortcomings. Nigerians however never needed America to tell us that Abiola was a murderer, a chronic polygamist, an ITT fraudster or a drug baron before we voted for him en masse. We chose him because we believed in his humane qualities and demonstrated ability to change our society for better. Americans had voted in Presidents whose character portraits were nothing much to write home about. We never decided for them in such situations nor questioned a Clinton for 'Lewinskygate', a Nixon for 'Watergate' or a W. Bush for 'Iraqigate'.

The June 12 controversial presidential poll and its incontrovertible outcome was annulled by a military cabal warring over succession. Gen. Babangida must have reached some oral agreement with late Gen. Abacha that power would be surrendered to him after his reign. But succumbing to both local and international pressure (having guilefully manipulated and manipulated times and times again his handover date) IBB sought to undo the oral accord but met a brickwall in the dark-goggled one and his military cabal.

Having helped to stabilise Babangida's regime in all loyalty for eight giddy years Abacha, then power hungry and desperate, could not understand or come to terms with why Babangida should not reward him and reciprocate the loyal military gesture. Allowing an Abiola presidency would have put paid to the Abacha ambition but the dead duo would have possibly been alive today.

Alas Bashorun Abiola and June 12 became the sacrificial lamb. And Nigeria the principal victim of this military poisoned politics of the coup-plotting generals. And Nigerians are still paying a huge price for the rot the military left behind. 

http://www.nigeriansinamerica.com/articles/2689/
Re: Was Abiola An International Drug Baron? by mekusxxx: 1:24am On May 05, 2010
Article posted to highlight why Abiola was crooked and did not deserve the presidency. I still wonder how Nigerians voted for him. perhaps because most of them are crooked as well.

''Babangida made sense in cancelling June 12'' - Oni of Ife

http://www.nigeriavillagesquare.com/articles/sunny-chris-okenwa/ooni-sijuwades-many-royal-blun.html

Also google ''Oni of Ife and June 12 Elections''

Now let's see how it goes with the ostriches
Re: Was Abiola An International Drug Baron? by jumobi1(m): 1:34am On May 05, 2010
Abiola won because the average Nigerian has a below average political IQ. People just voted because they were desperate, was popular and frankly, Tofa wasn't a better option. People don't do their research. Idk if he was a drug baron but he was no anger. Heard he funded coups and stole money from a contract he was given to provide phone lines for Nigerians.
Re: Was Abiola An International Drug Baron? by naijamini(m): 3:23am On May 05, 2010
You guys like to debate yourself. Wasn't Babangida himself accused of being a drug baron?

These unsubstantiated allegations are not the reasons people are opposed to IBB, at least not in my book. In the same way, it is not closing one's eyes to unsubstantiated allegations that is the reason for supporting the June 12 election.

No. The reasons are:

1. IBB stole government - and unashamedly, even today, calls himself president. And that's just one of his many "mistakes" as he would like us to believe.
2. We had a free and fair election, which IBB canceled, and now he is trying to become president in Nigeria.

Wasn't IBB still maximum ruler, with all the powers of state b/4 the election? Couldn't he have, with good evidence, arrested the man and prevent a criminal from contesting the elections? You might say that would have been difficult, but not really, IBB was banning and unbanning at will.

In reality, no sane reason exists for canceling the vote of the entire nation, and destroying their psyche for generations to come. Have you seen any students on the streets since the latter days of IBB and the early days of Abacha? What happened to the Nigerian fighting spirit? I'll tell you what happened. We got dejected & depressed because a free and fair vote was openly canceled, the man who canceled it would not offer up an explanation & lives on the "mountain-top" as if soldiering leads to riches, while the winner of the election sat and died in jail.

Let me tell you, as much as Abiola and his family suffered (mind you nobody brought up the issue of being a drug baron all those days, not even IBB), generations of Nigerians to come are the ones that really suffered both now and in advance.

IBB is the worst thing to have ever happened to Nigeria. My guts tells me that he was taking orders from above (and there are a couple of them) or from his, until then, foot soldiers, Abacha & Co.

The enemy of your enemy is not necessarily your friend!

jumobi1:

Abiola won because the average Nigerian has a below average political IQ. People just voted because they were desperate, was popular and frankly, Tofa wasn't a better option. People don't do their research. Idk if he was a drug baron but he was no anger. Heard he funded coups and stole money from a contract he was given to provide phone lines for Nigerians.
Re: Was Abiola An International Drug Baron? by mekusxxx: 3:43am On May 05, 2010
How is IBB different from Buhari who has contested for presidency twice without anyone making much ado about it? The anger of Yoruba against IBB stems from nothing but the cancellation of June 12 election, despite that they have been compensated and the fact that MKO was a confirmed crook. Tribalistic morons.
Re: Was Abiola An International Drug Baron? by naijamini(m): 4:30am On May 05, 2010
How are they different? Are you kidding me?

They both stole government, that is where the comparison stops. And you have not seen me supporting Buhari for president (although he would be much, much better than IBB, if that was the choice), have you?

Buhari was never part of the cabal that holds Nigeria by the jugular, but definitely a beneficiary. IBB and his cohorts used him and Idiagbon until they were ready to dump them - they were the ones behind the coup alll the way. Xteristically, when Idiagbon proved to be unwilling to follow the rules he got sacked. Babangida was participating in coups before he got out of diapers.

Mention Buhari and what word comes to your mind? - spartan discipline, straight-shooter, perhaps with some less encompasing religious views.

Mention Babangida and what word comes to your mind? - schemer, price-is-right kind of person, full of hidden agenda - would hide his real religious agenda as long as it serves his ambitions, etc

In addition, Buhari did not rule the country for 8 years, thanks to who? IBB. Buhari & Idiagbon's short reign, like Muritala's, was a time of purpose. Buhari's mistakes are childs-play compared to the "mistakes" of IBB. The major one being backdating the Press Decree to convict the two Guardian reporters. The other is they were a little overzealous in their enforcement of the WAI. These were some of the things IBB came to rectify back in 1985. Look where that got us. Go, support IBB. A few years hence you will come here to recant.

Lastly, even if that was IBB's only "mistake" cancelling the June 12 elections was enough reason to deny him the benefit of the same process, forever. What is he going to do this time? Wake up Abiola and take us back to 1993? June 12 is not even the main reason I personally don't want to ever see him "lead" this country again.

The man is a complete charlattan and a schemer. If a man would execute his best friend and the best man at his wedding for "thinking" (and we don't even know that this was true) about engaging in the same business they have been involved in for years, especially without even allowing the due process of appeal to run its course, I would not let him run my toilet. And that is still not my reason for not wanting him as the captain of the Nigerian ship, no matter how wretched our ship looks.

mekusxxx:

How is IBB different from Buhari who has contested for presidency twice without anyone making much ado about it? The anger of Yoruba against IBB stems from nothing but the cancellation of June 12 election, despite that they have been compensated and the fact that MKO was a confirmed crook. Tribalistic morons.

1 Like

Re: Was Abiola An International Drug Baron? by mekusxxx: 4:34am On May 05, 2010
Naijajimi:

sO Buhari is not part of the cabal? Buhari who truncated the well-laid out democratic process in the second republic is not part of the problem that has led us to the present sorry pass. I do not even know how to describe you.
Re: Was Abiola An International Drug Baron? by naijamini(m): 4:51am On May 05, 2010
mekusxxx
You are reading me wrong. He was never part of the main cabal. He was a beneficiary, so it may appear that he was part of the cabal. You and I know that IBB and his cohorts were the movers behind that coup. Like I said they merely used Buhari and Idiagbon until they were ready to take over proper. In any case, that doesn't absolve Buhari of stealing government, which is one reason why his political ambition never took off. IBB's ambitions must likewise be rendered impotent.

mekusxxx:

Naijajimi:

sO Buhari is not part of the cabal? Buhari who truncated the well-laid out democratic process in the second republic is not part of the problem that has led us to the present sorry pass. I do not even know how to describe you.
Re: Was Abiola An International Drug Baron? by metalgong5(m): 8:26am On May 05, 2010
IBB really saved Nigeria from a ticking bomb by annulling the June 12 charade. . . That kleptomaniac called MKO is not even qualified to be a community organizer.
Re: Was Abiola An International Drug Baron? by Myself2(m): 8:39am On May 05, 2010
YES

YES

[size=16pt]YES[/size]

Remember Gloria Okon and BCCI?
Re: Was Abiola An International Drug Baron? by tkb417(m): 8:50am On May 05, 2010
hehe

i can bet this is an enclave for mofos cheesy cheesy cheesy

LOL
Re: Was Abiola An International Drug Baron? by WilyWily5: 9:32am On May 05, 2010
In Every Yoruba family there is a Bank Fraudster, Embezzler or a Drug Baron.
Corruption is a Culture in Yorubaland.
Thief Abiola will never rest in peace.
Re: Was Abiola An International Drug Baron? by tkb417(m): 9:37am On May 05, 2010
Wily+Wily:

In Every Yoruba family there is a Bank Fraudster, Embezzler or a Drug Baron.
Corruption is a Culture in Yorubaland.
Thief Abiola will never rest in peace.
in every Niger Deltan family i guess there is an armed robber, cultist, suicide bomber and kidnapper
violence and blood letting is a norm in the whole of Niger Delta shey?

may all ur ancestors dead and alive ( Dokubo, Saro Wiwa) and co never have rest of mind on earth and in the grave

amen!!!

LOL!!!!

i like Nairaland. confuzzled twats around grin cheesy grin
Re: Was Abiola An International Drug Baron? by WilyWily5: 9:55am On May 05, 2010
Yorubas are natural Thieves, any thief u see in ND are Coached by the Yorubas or have a Yorubas Boss.
Re: Was Abiola An International Drug Baron? by tkb417(m): 10:03am On May 05, 2010
Wily+Wily:

Yorubas are natural Thieves, any thief u see in ND are Coached by the Yorubas or have a Yorubas Boss.

so who is coaching Ibori, Alams, Dokubo and co
Re: Was Abiola An International Drug Baron? by WilyWily5: 10:15am On May 05, 2010
tkb417:

so who is coaching Ibori, Alams, and co
Are u deaf, They were Coached by Yorubas.
Re: Was Abiola An International Drug Baron? by tkb417(m): 10:19am On May 05, 2010
Wily+Wily:

are you dumb?
who are the yorubas that coached them?
Re: Was Abiola An International Drug Baron? by bookface: 10:23am On May 05, 2010
Poster should have known by now that we aren't just so dumb to believe just any article that gets ripped right from the internet, more absurd is the fact that the Poster has refused to provide a link to the said article, so we can proceed with assumptions that the piece was written by poster himself in a pathetic and desperate bid to spoil any integrity Abiola might have left, and worse still, draw the gullible ones amongst us into forgiving IBB for taking Nigerians for a ride.

Second, why exactly, is this piece just coming up after IBB has declared his intentions to run for presidency, when we all know that the dead cannot give counter arguments to ediots attempting to defile their name.
Re: Was Abiola An International Drug Baron? by faoni572(m): 11:33am On May 05, 2010
I don't think this mekusxxx is a normal human being.
Re: Was Abiola An International Drug Baron? by Felibaby(f): 3:47pm On May 05, 2010
Not at all. As his name suggests, he has the brain of a rat. Always eager to post one rubish or the other, especially ones that will slight a yoruba or hausa man. Stop disgracing the rest of us and wake up from your slumber. Anuofia! cool
Re: Was Abiola An International Drug Baron? by sjeezy8: 3:53pm On May 05, 2010
lol
Re: Was Abiola An International Drug Baron? by Felibaby(f): 3:57pm On May 05, 2010
Not only ekusxxxxx. Metal-gong and wilywily too. Bunch of tribalistic fools. I wonder if they are educated undecided
Re: Was Abiola An International Drug Baron? by ziga: 4:03pm On May 05, 2010
Felibaby:

Not only ekusxxxxx. Metal-gong and wilywily too. Bunch of tribalistic fools. I wonder if they are educated undecided

Don't be surprised if they are all the same person. They have the same style. . . . Always trying to create sh.it where it doesn't exist
Re: Was Abiola An International Drug Baron? by bawomolo(m): 4:04pm On May 05, 2010
Wily+Wily:

ROFLMAO  cheesy cheesy

we need an NL assylum.
Re: Was Abiola An International Drug Baron? by sjeezy8: 4:08pm On May 05, 2010
Wily+Wily:

tkb417:

so who is coaching Ibori, Alams, Dokubo and co

Wily+Wily:

lmfao funny stuvs
Re: Was Abiola An International Drug Baron? by Katsumoto: 4:10pm On May 05, 2010
Myself2:

YES

YES

[size=16pt]YES[/size]

Remember Gloria Okon and BCCI?

Go and get your story straight. Gloria Chinyere Okon was connected to IBB. It was her connection to IBB that resulted in the death of Dele Giwa.
IBB was also connected to BCCI; whatever pushed you to associate those two issues to MKO?
Re: Was Abiola An International Drug Baron? by mekusxxx: 4:32pm On May 05, 2010
Add drug trafficking to the numerous military coups bankrolled by MKO and you get a thieving demagogue that used his ill-gotten wealth to almost hoodwink Nigerians until IBB stepped in and put a clog on his wheel. MKO's case is pure good riddance to bad rubbish. It is no wonder that Awo hated him like shi-t and would have scorned him even in death. I hope they meet in the after-life, what a wrestling bout to behold.Hahahah
Re: Was Abiola An International Drug Baron? by dayokanu(m): 4:39pm On May 05, 2010
Wily-wily,
The greatest Thief in the history of Nigeria Lawrence Anini was from Niger Delta
Re: Was Abiola An International Drug Baron? by Katsumoto: 4:47pm On May 05, 2010
dayokanu:

Wily-wily,
The greatest Thief in the history of Nigeria Lawrence Anini was from Niger Delta

Actually, Anini was from Edo.
Re: Was Abiola An International Drug Baron? by dayokanu(m): 4:59pm On May 05, 2010
Edo counts as South South I guess
Re: Was Abiola An International Drug Baron? by Nobody: 5:01pm On May 05, 2010
mekusxxx:

Add drug trafficking to the numerous military coups bankrolled by MKO and you get a thieving demagogue that used his ill-gotten wealth to almost hoodwink Nigerians until IBB stepped in and put a clog on his wheel. MKO's case is pure good riddance to bad rubbish. It is no wonder that Awo hated him like shi-t and would have scorned him even in death. I hope they meet in the after-life, what a wrestling bout to behold.Hahahah
absolute rubbish.fyi,all these theories against Abiola were not sufficient enogh to stop nigerians including IGBO tribe to vote for him.they were claims that he financed coup but the only question i would ask you is to list the coup he financed with his money with substantial evidence.
Abiola can just likened to today's otedola,dangote or Adenuga who also have several business scandals following them and there was NO evident he dealt in drugs.
Immediately after the annulment,the most circulated propaganda against his presidency was that he would turn nigeria to an islamic state which IBB himself had initially supported by registering nigeria with the organisation of islamic countries.
secondly was allegations of his anti-western policies that the US govt was not in support.some others said we was a CIA agent who went AWOL.so forget the issue of drug trafficking.
Re: Was Abiola An International Drug Baron? by mekusxxx: 5:03pm On May 05, 2010
Dayokanu

I doubt that Anini was greater than Oyenusi (Yoruba)-the first global thief from Nigeria. Next comes Anini (Niger Delta) and Shina Rambo (Yoruba)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply)

Man Gifts Tony Elumelu A Pair Of Custom Made Shoes (pics) / Tony Elumelu And President Emmanuel Macron In Lagos (Photos) / How To Send And Receive Payment Online Internationally In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.