Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,851 members, 7,813,896 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 08:58 PM

Airtel Acquires 5G, 4G Spectrums For $317 Million To Offer 5G Service In Nigeria - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Airtel Acquires 5G, 4G Spectrums For $317 Million To Offer 5G Service In Nigeria (8961 Views)

We Unlock All Types Of Router's And Mifi From 5g,4g & 3g / Airtel Nigeria Acquires $317 Million Spectrum Ahead Of Its 5G Launch / ICT Expert: How To Make 5G Service Work In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Airtel Acquires 5G, 4G Spectrums For $317 Million To Offer 5G Service In Nigeria by Enenim(m): 5:58am On Jan 11, 2023
Airtel Nigeria on Monday announced the acquisition of 5G spectrum and an additional spectrum for its 4G network for a total sum of $316.7 million.

According to a statement by the local unit of Airtel Africa, the decision is part of its commitment to deepen higher-speed connectivity in Nigeria by way of 5G cellular technology.

The company said that it purchased 100 MHz of spectrum in the 3500MHz band and 2x5MHz of 2600MHz from the Nigeria Communications Commission (NCC), for a gross consideration of $316.7m, payable in the local currency.

A strategic strand of a broader plan to boost Airtel Nigeria’s mobile data network as well as the power of its fixed wireless home broadband, the spectrum purchase raises Airtel Nigeria’s current capacity ahead of the rollout of 5G technology.

The company seeks to gain the timely traction needed to earn itself a good place in the fifth-generation technology segment of Africa’s largest telecom market where two early birds secured operational licenses in 2021.

“The acquisition of 5G spectrum will underpin our growth strategy by enabling the launch of higher speed connectivity to enhance customer service and accelerate digitalisation for consumers, enterprises and the public sector,” the document said.

On Monday, shares in Airtel Africa climbed 5.2 per cent to N1,630 per unit on Lagos’ Customs Street at 13:28 WAT after the news hit the market, pushing its market value above N6.1 trillion, the biggest by any publicly traded company in the country.

Airtel Nigeria gave up an early chance to run 5G technology in Nigeria when, in December 2021, big rival MTN Nigeria and Mafab Communications snapped up the two available permits at the premier auction arranged by the NCC.

While MTN teed off operations in August, Mafab sought a five-month extension due this month from the regulator for its own launch.

Nigeria is the biggest market of both Airtel Africa and the MTN Group (the parent company of MTN Nigeria).

Airtel Nigeria has assured the expansion drive will ease connectivity at a faster pace to enable improved customer service delivery and fast-track access to digitalisation for consumers, businesses and the public sector.

The corporation is weighing up “the (shallow) penetration of data customers in Nigeria”, where Alliance for Affordable Internet say fewer than 44 per cent of the people have access to smartphones and sees the gap as a room to foster growth.

“Nigeria is a market with enormous potential for future growth in mobile services,” said Segun Ogunsanya, CEO of Airtel Africa.

“Investment in new technologies and local infrastructure to enable this growth is a strategic priority for the group and will ensure we are able to provide reliable and affordable services to local communities across the country,” he added.
https://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/more-news/574763-airtel-nigeria-acquires-317-million-spectrum-in-push-for-5g-launch.html

9 Likes

Re: Airtel Acquires 5G, 4G Spectrums For $317 Million To Offer 5G Service In Nigeria by MMempire(m): 6:08am On Jan 11, 2023
Enenim:
Airtel acquires 5G, 4G spectrums for $317 million to offer 5G services in Nigeria

Airtel acquires 5G, 4G spectrums for $317 million to offer 5G services in Nigeria✅

Channel: @thesammymove
#thesammymoveNews

Airtel Nigeria has announced the acquisition of a new 5G spectrum and an additional spectrum for its 4G network for a price of $316.7 million. With this acquisition, the company can now roll out a 5G network and expand its 4G services in Nigeria.

Spectrum acquired
5G – 100 MHZ in the 3.5 GHz band. Per GSMA, this is usually the most appealing band for 5G networks globally.

4G – 2x5MHz in the 2.6GHz band, the usual standard for 4G.

However, Airtel will face competition from MTN Nigeria and Mafab, which have already acquired 5G licenses. MTN has already rolled out 5G in the country and faces challenges in implementing the technology, particularly in rural areas where 4G handset penetration is low, and the rollout costs are high.

Airtel, like MTN, will be launching a home broadband service, and it will be interesting to see how it differentiates itself from the competition in the race for 5G. Nonetheless, the competition will be good for us customers.

Today's Booking Codes

Yesterday's Winnings

Manchester United vs Charlton

Home Ov 3 @ 1.82✅

No @ 1.86✅

Newcastle vs Leicester

Ov 4.5 cards @ 3.20✅

Today's Booking Codes

Booking Code ➺ 788800 @ 84.26

Booking Code ➺ 788801 @ 3.50

All Bet Odds exclusive to Naijabet
Na airtel 5g news you dey spread abi na naijabet you dey use style advertise?

30 Likes 1 Share

Re: Airtel Acquires 5G, 4G Spectrums For $317 Million To Offer 5G Service In Nigeria by Skyfornia(m): 6:14am On Jan 11, 2023
Nice one.. I'm definitely buying a 5G phone before the end of the month..

3 Likes

Re: Airtel Acquires 5G, 4G Spectrums For $317 Million To Offer 5G Service In Nigeria by Allison012: 4:23pm On Jan 11, 2023
OP,did Nairabet abi Betnaija launch the 5G network with airtel?

Launching 5G with shitty network. Banza

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Airtel Acquires 5G, 4G Spectrums For $317 Million To Offer 5G Service In Nigeria by Searchingvictor: 7:14am On Jan 12, 2023
Issokay

1 Like

Re: Airtel Acquires 5G, 4G Spectrums For $317 Million To Offer 5G Service In Nigeria by Toneypen247(m): 7:14am On Jan 12, 2023
Interesting
Re: Airtel Acquires 5G, 4G Spectrums For $317 Million To Offer 5G Service In Nigeria by BOLATINUBU01: 7:14am On Jan 12, 2023
Very good
Re: Airtel Acquires 5G, 4G Spectrums For $317 Million To Offer 5G Service In Nigeria by ArinzeAnthony03: 7:15am On Jan 12, 2023
Airtel the best network as far as data is concern

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Airtel Acquires 5G, 4G Spectrums For $317 Million To Offer 5G Service In Nigeria by sqlPAIN: 7:15am On Jan 12, 2023
Where are all those false prophets shouting 666 and end time's ?

6 Likes

Re: Airtel Acquires 5G, 4G Spectrums For $317 Million To Offer 5G Service In Nigeria by daniska3yaro(m): 7:15am On Jan 12, 2023
The should please try and work on their data value, 20gb seems to be 200mb in value, I don run from airtel.

26 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Airtel Acquires 5G, 4G Spectrums For $317 Million To Offer 5G Service In Nigeria by Neimar: 7:15am On Jan 12, 2023
Still slow like Tinubu angry

6 Likes

Re: Airtel Acquires 5G, 4G Spectrums For $317 Million To Offer 5G Service In Nigeria by everythinggirly(f): 7:15am On Jan 12, 2023
Nice development wink

1 Like

Re: Airtel Acquires 5G, 4G Spectrums For $317 Million To Offer 5G Service In Nigeria by LordErrk: 7:16am On Jan 12, 2023
E sure me say that their 5G go still slow. They should use it for their office.
The only 5g I'm waiting for is MTN or glo, those ones are a little more serious

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Airtel Acquires 5G, 4G Spectrums For $317 Million To Offer 5G Service In Nigeria by jimetagambo: 7:17am On Jan 12, 2023
Better late than never. 5G is awesome.

1 Like

Re: Airtel Acquires 5G, 4G Spectrums For $317 Million To Offer 5G Service In Nigeria by Abolodje: 7:17am On Jan 12, 2023
Watch Airtel give us crappy 5G network and nerf the 4G to make it extra more frustrating lol.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Airtel Acquires 5G, 4G Spectrums For $317 Million To Offer 5G Service In Nigeria by TooMuchSense1(m): 7:18am On Jan 12, 2023
A
Re: Airtel Acquires 5G, 4G Spectrums For $317 Million To Offer 5G Service In Nigeria by SmartPolician: 7:20am On Jan 12, 2023
Nigerian telcos are really trying to keep us at par with the rest of the world.

I hope they know how much 5G-enabled smartphones cost though.

4G is good. I don't know why the world is in a hurry to get into 5G.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Airtel Acquires 5G, 4G Spectrums For $317 Million To Offer 5G Service In Nigeria by Samunique(m): 7:20am On Jan 12, 2023
Allison012:
OP,did Nairabet abi Betnaija launch the 5G network with airtel?

Launching 5G with shitty network. Banza
grin
You no see me say I dey laugh grin

Very useless network undecided

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Airtel Acquires 5G, 4G Spectrums For $317 Million To Offer 5G Service In Nigeria by GardenOfGod(m): 7:21am On Jan 12, 2023
Congratulations to my most preferred network of choice

1 Like

Re: Airtel Acquires 5G, 4G Spectrums For $317 Million To Offer 5G Service In Nigeria by Orire01(m): 7:23am On Jan 12, 2023
OK

My Siggy looks better
Re: Airtel Acquires 5G, 4G Spectrums For $317 Million To Offer 5G Service In Nigeria by Brian47(m): 7:23am On Jan 12, 2023
This is good oo.
Airtel is the most cheapest network service provider in terms of The Internet.
Na MTN be the cheapest for calls.

1 Like

Re: Airtel Acquires 5G, 4G Spectrums For $317 Million To Offer 5G Service In Nigeria by tempest01(m): 7:26am On Jan 12, 2023
What happened to the quota system Mafab? A company with no pedigree handed over a 5G licence. A vehicle registered for the sole purpose. I would also assume the funds used was also handed over from our coffers.

An inept, corrupt and backward government. I really see the economy crashing soon if care is not taken. Hopefully Nigerians will do the right thing, I really cannot bet on that.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Airtel Acquires 5G, 4G Spectrums For $317 Million To Offer 5G Service In Nigeria by ElijahIme1992(m): 7:27am On Jan 12, 2023
daniska3yaro:
The should please try and work on their data value, 20gb seems to be 200mb in value, I don run from airtel.
looooool no it's not, dis is wat dey do, Airtel opens up the tunnel wide so dat the faster u browse the quicker ur data gets exhausted... LoL u ppl shouting for 5G, I hope u have money to sub for data? Because dat 20g will not even last u up to a week....

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Airtel Acquires 5G, 4G Spectrums For $317 Million To Offer 5G Service In Nigeria by stano2(m): 7:28am On Jan 12, 2023
Nice but Airtel should work on their data value. 40gb seems more like 8gb compared with mtn.
Airtel data zapping is too much.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Airtel Acquires 5G, 4G Spectrums For $317 Million To Offer 5G Service In Nigeria by Ehins22(m): 7:29am On Jan 12, 2023
cheesy
Re: Airtel Acquires 5G, 4G Spectrums For $317 Million To Offer 5G Service In Nigeria by Dreamhighnow(m): 7:30am On Jan 12, 2023
Then they embezzle it
Re: Airtel Acquires 5G, 4G Spectrums For $317 Million To Offer 5G Service In Nigeria by Nobody: 7:32am On Jan 12, 2023
APC urchins hate development
Re: Airtel Acquires 5G, 4G Spectrums For $317 Million To Offer 5G Service In Nigeria by ElijahIme1992(m): 7:34am On Jan 12, 2023
SmartPolician:
Nigerian telcos are really trying to keep us at par with the rest of the world.

I hope they know how much 5G-enabled smartphones cost though.

4G is good. I don't know why the world is in a hurry to get into 5G.
for Artificial intelligence, AI robots needs a faster wireless network to be able to process trillions of informations in a split seconds and make decisions.. take for example self driving cars

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Airtel Acquires 5G, 4G Spectrums For $317 Million To Offer 5G Service In Nigeria by BinamRex: 7:35am On Jan 12, 2023
When their 4G is nothing to write home about. Shouldn't Airtel learn to crawl before it learns to fly?
Re: Airtel Acquires 5G, 4G Spectrums For $317 Million To Offer 5G Service In Nigeria by faceland: 7:36am On Jan 12, 2023
Abolodje:
Watch Airtel give us crappy 5G network and nerf the 4G to make it extra more frustrating lol.

How would they gain back their investment.

The network is currently working fine, I hope they don't ruin it (like Glo) because customers would migrate to another network.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (Reply)

Mtn Now Partner With Opera App For Free Browsing / Help With Free Antivirus For Java Phones. / Pls Recommend A 4g Fone

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.