Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,208 members, 7,818,706 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:21 PM

My Computer Science Degree That I Relegated In Nigeria Opens Doors Abroad - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / My Computer Science Degree That I Relegated In Nigeria Opens Doors Abroad (25514 Views)

Kazakhstan Opens Doors To Visitors, Nigerians Can Now Enter Without Visas / Canada Opens Doors To Ukrainian Refugees Fleeing Russian Invasion / Travelling Out With A Psychology/social Science Degree In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Computer Science Degree That I Relegated In Nigeria Opens Doors Abroad by sqlPAIN: 11:57am On Jan 11, 2023
BRIMBRAM:

It's just an irony of life my brother. But it is the Truth. Even Steve Jobs and Bill Gates were University drop out. There is not so much focus on University Degrees this days in that field of endeavor.
that's what I'm telling you nawww grin no get degree grin
Re: My Computer Science Degree That I Relegated In Nigeria Opens Doors Abroad by Nobody: 11:58am On Jan 11, 2023
GloriousGbola:

There must be an empty space between your ears

I am talking about employment as a worker

The man said he did not use his computer science degree in Nigeria and that he got a computer related job.

Just the other day I saw a friend on linkedin, one who was head of dept in a bank, now employed in Canada as an accounting analyst. His 15 + years of banking experience counted for nothing.

But yet a person who never even worked with his degree is claiming it opened doors.

On top of that, you are conflating admission to paid university programs (a source of income for the uk) with employment.

You are exactly the kind of suckers those agents love. One incapable of rational thought and who thinks the streets of the west are paved with gold for the picking

Is that what he told you OR you're are implying?

There are so many people that their Nigerian experience helps them, Canadians will rather hire someone with enough experience that someone without. 15 years experience in Banking is not beans, all you need to do in Canada is to write certifications required to go into Finance Analyst route. Your experience in Finance will go a long way to separate you from others. With this type of nonsense opinions, I doubt if any of you here has worked for a top bank in Nigeria before. With certifications required to go into the analyst route, you can apply for companies like JP Morgan Chase and co.

There are a lot of Unilag students recruited by Bloomberg, JP Morgan and co. straight from graduation, even as interns from Unilag. Your Nigerian degree can open doors for you if you know how to use it.

5 Likes

Re: My Computer Science Degree That I Relegated In Nigeria Opens Doors Abroad by Emmanuel909090: 12:04pm On Jan 11, 2023
Congratulations
Re: My Computer Science Degree That I Relegated In Nigeria Opens Doors Abroad by Nobody: 12:06pm On Jan 11, 2023
Pymetrics:

You're a liar. Nigeria degree are very much rated abroad. UK for example accepts Nigeria degree direct to Msc. Some of their schools also accepts waec and neco in place of IELTS. Also your degree in Nigeria with solid years of experience will get you similar job in UK or you add UK master degree and join similar jobs.
In US, Nigeria degree can be use to obtain direct PhD admissions without writing toefl, gre and with full funding. Canada and Australia nko. You will do Wes evaluation for Canada and that's all. Virtually all countries accepts our degree. Don't just lie and castigate Nigeria. We are not that bad.

Don't mind them, always finding ways to talk down on their country. Nigeria degree is rated abroad & I know many Unilag and University of Ife students who got jobs and internships from after graduation. No be say dem tell me, I know them. Just last year, Goldman Sachs UK recruited students from Unilag who applied for internship.

6 Likes

Re: My Computer Science Degree That I Relegated In Nigeria Opens Doors Abroad by everythinggirly(f): 12:19pm On Jan 11, 2023
Nigerian leaders just spoil education system for us.
If you tell someone the course you're studying and it's not a professional course, they'll say ok, but if you tell them you're studying a professional course, you will hear, wow! Wow! Wow!
Nonsense kontry!
Re: My Computer Science Degree That I Relegated In Nigeria Opens Doors Abroad by Rilwayne001: 12:19pm On Jan 11, 2023
Pymetrics:

You're a liar.

Hi, do you know much about pymetrics test?
Re: My Computer Science Degree That I Relegated In Nigeria Opens Doors Abroad by CartelKenneth: 12:28pm On Jan 11, 2023
I feel sorry for those who studied useless course in school

They’ve taken the graduation pictures now but what happens next after graduation?
Re: My Computer Science Degree That I Relegated In Nigeria Opens Doors Abroad by ednut1(m): 12:44pm On Jan 11, 2023
psalmson001:
You're just lucky, so thank your stars.
Only very few get to make use of their Nigerian academic qualifications to secure jobs abroad.
this is false. The doctors, nurses, auditors, tech people being hired from Nigeria studied where The Nigerians in Canada and USA getting good jobs are also using their 9ja degrees

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Computer Science Degree That I Relegated In Nigeria Opens Doors Abroad by Nobodysboo(m): 12:46pm On Jan 11, 2023
We all know say nigeria no be am
Re: My Computer Science Degree That I Relegated In Nigeria Opens Doors Abroad by Anakazo22: 12:48pm On Jan 11, 2023
psalmson001:
You're just lucky, so thank your stars.
Only very few get to make use of their Nigerian academic qualifications to secure jobs abroad.

That's a fat lie ... many have used theirs to secure..stop badmouthing our degree
Re: My Computer Science Degree That I Relegated In Nigeria Opens Doors Abroad by LagBlogger(m): 12:53pm On Jan 11, 2023
Amaggedon:
Did you read what that guy wrote?

Did you understand what I meant?
Re: My Computer Science Degree That I Relegated In Nigeria Opens Doors Abroad by Mobolaaji(m): 12:53pm On Jan 11, 2023
GloriousGbola:
The man is lying. Nigerian degrees are not rated abroad. Even more so if you do not have relevant working experience. No one is going to employ an inexperienced Nigerian on the basis of his degree alone.

Sit down there and keep saying everything is a lie.My degree is from a state university in Nigeria. I’m working for a multinational. Not just at ordinary level.
I just got a regional recognition for an outstanding performance. Keep saying everything is a lie.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Computer Science Degree That I Relegated In Nigeria Opens Doors Abroad by Mobolaaji(m): 12:59pm On Jan 11, 2023
GloriousGbola:

There must be an empty space between your ears

I am talking about employment as a worker

The man said he did not use his computer science degree in Nigeria and that he got a computer related job.

Just the other day I saw a friend on linkedin, one who was head of dept in a bank, now employed in Canada as an accounting analyst. His 15 + years of banking experience counted for nothing.

But yet a person who never even worked with his degree is claiming it opened doors.

On top of that, you are conflating admission to paid university programs (a source of income for the uk) with employment.

You are exactly the kind of suckers those agents love. One incapable of rational thought and who thinks the streets of the west are paved with gold for the picking
You are lying still. You can compete with your degree from Nigeria at any level. I’m using my degree with a multinational.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Computer Science Degree That I Relegated In Nigeria Opens Doors Abroad by GloriousGbola: 1:02pm On Jan 11, 2023
Mobolaaji:

Sit down there and keep saying everything is a lie.My degree is from a state university in Nigeria. I’m working for a multinational. Not just at ordinary level.
I just got a regional recognition for an outstanding performance. Keep saying everything is a lie.

Nigerians working imnmultinationals and from big 4 firms can make a smooth japa as long as they are within the same organisation. This goes to the 200s and before. Why are you stating the obvious?

Is this the scenario being painted here? Or are you just being deliberately obtuse?

The man by his own words had no work based computer science experience, but he claims he got a computer science job because of his Nigerian degree.

Also, Be exited from your company for any reason and see how far the Nigerian degree will then carry you.
Re: My Computer Science Degree That I Relegated In Nigeria Opens Doors Abroad by GloriousGbola: 1:06pm On Jan 11, 2023
Mobolaaji:

You are lying still. You can compete with your degree from Nigeria at any level. I’m using my degree with a multinational.

You were not employed because of your degree slow thinker, you were employed because of your experience within that organisation.

Are you so vacuis that you think if you were working outside your company you would have had that transition?

Why do you keep harping on something that is common knowledge?

1 Like

Re: My Computer Science Degree That I Relegated In Nigeria Opens Doors Abroad by toprealman: 1:09pm On Jan 11, 2023
sqlPAIN:
Thank God you said "abroad"... You can't study such Course in a third world country like Nigeria and not expect to suffer after graduation, except japa don sure for you after graduation.. You were lucky to have been able to travel but what of those that can't?
Geoinformatics( GIS) is offered by some Nigerian universities bro
Re: My Computer Science Degree That I Relegated In Nigeria Opens Doors Abroad by GloriousGbola: 1:09pm On Jan 11, 2023
Mobolaaji:

If you know what's good for you, you are working on a masters degree in the country where you reisde. If you are as dumb as your posts portray, you will keep cruising on your lateral transfer until there is a layoff and then you see just how precarious your position really is and how Nigerian degrees are viewed

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Computer Science Degree That I Relegated In Nigeria Opens Doors Abroad by phemmyfour: 1:17pm On Jan 11, 2023
Sukkyy2010:

You yourself have you japa?
You don't want to know where I m typing from grin
Re: My Computer Science Degree That I Relegated In Nigeria Opens Doors Abroad by BRIMBRAM: 1:54pm On Jan 11, 2023
sqlPAIN:
that's what I'm telling you nawww grin no get degree grin

First of all do you know who Bill Gates and Steve Jobs is?!
Re: My Computer Science Degree That I Relegated In Nigeria Opens Doors Abroad by Litmus: 2:14pm On Jan 11, 2023
Nigerians study books in higher schools like it is popularly believed that Koranic students study Koran or Jewish students the Torah, which is from cover to cover. I was shocked when I left UK and attended collage in Nigeria. I had to know or memories my chemistry, physics, literature books entirely. I hold a healthy respect for educated Nigerians.

In spite of the concerted efforts by some Africa and foreign nations to portray Nigerians in a way that make Nigeriains pariahs, the world will gradually see and recognise Nigerians for the positive force for good that they are.

Some Nigeriains abroad - and I mean the genuine Nigeriains abroad - need to consider Nigerians in Nigeria befor making comments whose long term effects affect the economy of Nigeria by negatively impacting investments. In addition, causes foreign nations to make things difficult for Nigeriains that may wish to travel abroad for the verous reasons peculiar to each individual.
Re: My Computer Science Degree That I Relegated In Nigeria Opens Doors Abroad by Gerrard59(m): 2:17pm On Jan 11, 2023
GloriousGbola:
The man is lying. Nigerian degrees are not rated abroad. Even more so if you do not have relevant working experience. No one is going to employ an inexperienced Nigerian on the basis of his degree alone.

Yet Nigerians are getting employed in the same abroad with ease? Abi the Nigerians working with Nigerian degrees in Canada, US, UK, Germany are what? Aliens?

For mainly science-oriented degrees, the opportunities are immense. The degrees are rated equal in getting a job, ascendancy through the ranks might another issue. But it is entirely false to say Nigerian degrees are disregarded in the abroad.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Computer Science Degree That I Relegated In Nigeria Opens Doors Abroad by GloriousGbola: 2:25pm On Jan 11, 2023
Gerrard59:

Yet Nigerians are getting employed in the same abroad with ease? Abi the Nigerians working with Nigerian degrees in Canada, US, UK, Germany are what? Aliens?

For mainly science-oriented degrees, the opportunities are immense. The degrees are rated equal in getting a job, ascendancy through the ranks might another issue. But it is entirely false to say Nigerian degrees are disregarded in the abroad.

Are Nigerians getting those jobs with no working experience? Is that not the implication of the story? I never used this degree - therefore I have no working experience in the degree yet I am getting jobs with it?

Everyone I know who got a job abroad with his Nigerian degree did a lateral transfer ie he was working in a multinational company with standardized training.

But maybe you can tell me more

2 Likes

Re: My Computer Science Degree That I Relegated In Nigeria Opens Doors Abroad by Gerrard59(m): 2:30pm On Jan 11, 2023
GloriousGbola:

If you know what's good for you, you are working on a masters degree in the country where you reisde. If you are as dumb as your posts portray, you will keep cruising on your lateral transfer until there is a layoff and then you see just how precarious your position really is and how Nigerian degrees are viewed

When I read the profile of a recently retrenched Facebook AI developer who attended Stanford University and MIT for his BS & PhD, I asked myself, is it by degrees obtained or universities attended?

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Computer Science Degree That I Relegated In Nigeria Opens Doors Abroad by GloriousGbola: 2:37pm On Jan 11, 2023
Gerrard59:

When I read the profile of a recently retrenched Facebook AI developer who attended Stanford University and MIT for his BS & PhD, I asked myself, is it by degrees obtained or universities attended?

If you have been employed long enough or witnessed a round of layoffs you already know getting laid off can be extremely random and all that may save you are political connections, not competence or education or achievements

2 Likes

Re: My Computer Science Degree That I Relegated In Nigeria Opens Doors Abroad by shegzhkn: 3:25pm On Jan 11, 2023
Gerrard59:

Re: My Computer Science Degree That I Relegated In Nigeria Opens Doors Abroad by Siminialaye20(m): 3:39pm On Jan 11, 2023
Re: My Computer Science Degree That I Relegated In Nigeria Opens Doors Abroad by abbey621(m): 3:59pm On Jan 11, 2023
ednut1:
this is false. The doctors, nurses, auditors, tech people being hired from Nigeria studied where The Nigerians in Canada and USA getting good jobs are also using their 9ja degrees

It's a game of percentages, if you took time to research the data, you'll discover less than 20% of Nigerian degree holders actually secure a professional job in their field without additional education/certification/training abroad. Once people set this realistic expectation, abroad can be very rewarding, either way having that bachelor/first degree is very crucial because it is way better than starting from scratch!

2 Likes

Re: My Computer Science Degree That I Relegated In Nigeria Opens Doors Abroad by Sukkyy2010: 4:17pm On Jan 11, 2023
phemmyfour:
You don't want to know where I m typing from grin
Where else if not Ajegunle
Re: My Computer Science Degree That I Relegated In Nigeria Opens Doors Abroad by Myketuale(m): 4:53pm On Jan 11, 2023
BabaAgba79:

Yes ooo. Westerners are recruiting Africans into their labour force! Nigerian doctors, nurses, all health related workers, engineers, IT gurus, Accountants, Teachers are being recruited by the West! Yet they claim that African universities are the worst on earth! Imagine! Keep spinning their economy and make more money, since our leaders dont want to receive sense! One day, if Nigeria still exists, only old men and women will be left right here!

The young ppl go don Japa

1 Like

Re: My Computer Science Degree That I Relegated In Nigeria Opens Doors Abroad by emmaodet: 5:48pm On Jan 11, 2023
truthsayer009:

Is that what he told you OR you're are implying?

There are so many people that their Nigerian experience helps them, Canadians will rather hire someone with enough experience that someone without. 15 years experience in Banking is not beans, all you need to do in Canada is to write certifications required to go into Finance Analyst route. Your experience in Finance will go a long way to separate you from others. With this type of nonsense opinions, I doubt if any of you here has worked for a top bank in Nigeria before. With certifications required to go into the analyst route, you can apply for companies like JP Morgan Chase and co.

There are a lot of Unilag students recruited by Bloomberg, JP Morgan and co. straight from graduation, even as interns from Unilag. Your Nigerian degree can open doors for you if you know how to use it.

Don’t mind them.

My FIL worked with nigeria certificate in saudi and most of my friends are now in USE, saudi, Qatar working with nija pali.
Even 2 of my colleagues just got a job with a Yatch cruise company in US last November with nija license

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Computer Science Degree That I Relegated In Nigeria Opens Doors Abroad by Nobody: 6:03pm On Jan 11, 2023
emmaodet:

Don’t mind them.

My FIL worked with nigeria certificate in saudi and most of my friends are now in USE, saudi, Qatar working with nija pali.
Even 2 of my colleagues just got a job with a Yatch cruise company in US last November with nija license

Yes, even a friend of mine got a job from Goldman Sachs with University of Ife Pali too. They even contacted the school while doing background checks to confirm the authenticity of the certificate.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Computer Science Degree That I Relegated In Nigeria Opens Doors Abroad by tete7000(m): 7:06pm On Jan 11, 2023
GloriousGbola:
You are funny to conclude a man you don't know and have not met is lying while narrating his experience. Let say your opinion is correct, haven't you heard there can be exceptions to the rule?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

South-African Policeman Tears Nigerian's Passport To Pieces (Pic) / 72-Hour Closure Of 3rd Mainland Bridge, 48-Hour Partial Closure Of Lagos-Ibadan / LASEMA At Accident Scene On 3rd Mainland Bridge (pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.