Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,909 members, 7,814,070 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 05:32 AM

Internet Writing Guide (A Must-Read!) - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Internet Writing Guide (A Must-Read!) (4158 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Internet Writing Guide (A Must-Read!) by Seun(m): 9:28am On Jul 07, 2005
Hello,

The Internet Writing Guide, written in 1999 by a certain Timothy Campbell, is a must-read for every active member of this forum, especially those that have volunteered to be moderators. It teaches you how to write on your website, on forums and discussion groups, e-mail, et cetera.

I'd like to urge you to go to the site right now to read the guide:
http://members.aol.com/intwg/guide.htm

When you've finished with it, you can come back to this thread to discuss it. Let's combine our efforts to make Nairaland a more reader-friendly forum!

Seun.

1 Like

Re: Internet Writing Guide (A Must-Read!) by Greatpeter(m): 10:11am On Jul 07, 2005
Seun, I have read through and I commend you for the information. It's very useful.

I think with this we will improve in our messages and conversations.

great!
Re: Internet Writing Guide (A Must-Read!) by pkrix(m): 12:36pm On Jul 07, 2005
I, like Greatpeter, have read through the Internet Writing Guide (a must-read) but I am yet to know, I guess, how I am going to contribute to the Nairaland intellectual and constructive enhancement.
Re: Internet Writing Guide (A Must-Read!) by Motee(f): 1:44pm On Jul 07, 2005
Resourceful. Thanks
Re: Internet Writing Guide (A Must-Read!) by matrix(m): 2:22pm On Jul 07, 2005
interesting piece of work.Bravo cheesy
Re: Internet Writing Guide (A Must-Read!) by CimonJorr(m): 2:56pm On Jul 07, 2005
I agree with most of what the author says.. it's really the basics.. but the only point I'm at variance is with the issue of brevity..

I guess it's because I try to express my thots as clearly as possible, and tend to get verbose in the process...

still, how do you reckon the thing would be applied here, considering the fact that we have a lot of perculiarities which make this forum unique..  one being that it's a nigerian forum [hence we're definitely going to have influences from a lot of our local languages, pidgin or broken english inclusive].. two, some people are bound to feel more strongly on issues than others, hence the need to express themselves accordingly.. and thirdly, we being who we are [nigerians] are still trying to acquire the "internet culture".. some habbits will die hard, and others will still take a while to change..

One suggestion, is to create a "rules" book.. which every participant has to abide by.. which will iclude, amongst other rules..

1. politeness being paramount..
2. use of as proper english as possible [within one's abilities.. not everyone has the same level of ability..]
3. no excessiveness or vulgarity..

[more as they come along..]

this is just a suggestion.. maybe some others have similar or contrary thots on the matter..

Saint.
Re: Internet Writing Guide (A Must-Read!) by Seun(m): 6:19pm On Jul 07, 2005
Is there anyone who wants to help me draft the rule-book?

The only rule I've been able to enforce so far is the one that says, "the admin is always right!" grin
Re: Internet Writing Guide (A Must-Read!) by pkrix(m): 9:34pm On Jul 07, 2005
The admin is actually right in everything relating to editing the site cos he knows the retrictions placed by the greater admin. Seun innit?

But then mr. Admin what are the rules and what steps do you intend to take in actualizing this issue of editing, modifying and upgrading?
Re: Internet Writing Guide (A Must-Read!) by hotangel2(f): 9:01am On Jul 22, 2005
that was good.
Re: Internet Writing Guide (A Must-Read!) by pkrix(m): 3:21pm On Jul 22, 2005
It may also enable the people volunteered to be of help know if they can really render the help.
Re: Internet Writing Guide (A Must-Read!) by Freestyl(m): 12:51pm On Nov 21, 2006
U're doing a great job. keep it up. atleast somebody will be able to know what he/she did not know before.

great!
Re: Internet Writing Guide (A Must-Read!) by alarinka(m): 4:14pm On Nov 21, 2006
seun,this is brillant and concise, perhaps many of the guys in this forum need to learn one or two things, it didnt talk about the irritating/mischievious smileys!!!!
Re: Internet Writing Guide (A Must-Read!) by Seun(m): 5:38pm On Mar 27, 2007
Moving to Nairaland section. This is something every Nairaland member needs to read!
Re: Internet Writing Guide (A Must-Read!) by timmfikk(m): 7:16am On May 07, 2008
Good job Seun, i think a lot of us need to improve our self more instead of knowing what we need to write about firmly before proceeding. wink
Re: Internet Writing Guide (A Must-Read!) by wealthmag: 12:25pm On Jul 18, 2008
hi seun,
i am highly interested in the the booklet INTERNET WRITING GUIDE, but unfortunately the site is no longer active and the site owner only said the reason for the closure is philosophical. So, do you have a copy?
Then another thing, each time i finished sending my post. I always found out my website does not show fully. Only the name will appear, whereas people that replied to my post have their websites fully displayed.
Re: Internet Writing Guide (A Must-Read!) by Nobody: 11:58pm On Feb 04, 2009
I am rather new here, by the time i got the internet guidelines page on aol, the area has been deleted, and the posters are complaining bitterly to aol for shutting them out. So in short, i missed the message.
Maybe i can get a recap from somebody.
Re: Internet Writing Guide (A Must-Read!) by shaddi(m): 1:01pm On Feb 28, 2009
its nessery
Re: Internet Writing Guide (A Must-Read!) by stargrow(m): 6:19pm On Jun 30, 2010
@ Seun,

How do I post a link legitimately on ur forum?

Thanks
Re: Internet Writing Guide (A Must-Read!) by JimmyWei(f): 2:50am On Sep 21, 2010
how can I post my topic here.
I just want to make friends here, but it's my first time come to Nairaland Forum, who can tell me how can I post a topic here, thnx!!!!
Re: Internet Writing Guide (A Must-Read!) by Orikinla(m): 11:09am On Sep 21, 2010
JimmyWei:

how can I post my topic here.
I just want to make friends here, but it's my first time come to Nairaland Forum, who can tell me how can I post a topic here, thnx!!!!

See New Topic.
Re: Internet Writing Guide (A Must-Read!) by aktexter: 4:43pm On Oct 27, 2010
Ueah bro plz how do i post to the forum/ autos??
Re: Internet Writing Guide (A Must-Read!) by Kaabeejii(m): 2:13pm On Jul 11, 2011
I love the way you spoke! My name is Abdullahi Adamu, If you like to know.

(1) (Reply)

The 7 Realms / Think Big, Gifted Hands And The Big Picture: Ben Carson / Diary Of A University Girl [episode 1] The Beginning

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.