Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,217 members, 7,818,735 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:31 PM

Emefiele Must Go Protests Storm CBN Headquarters - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Emefiele Must Go Protests Storm CBN Headquarters (1037 Views)

Protesters Storm CBN Headquarters, Demand Emefiele’s Arrest, Resignation / Emefiele Must Go Protest Storms Aso Rock / “Nsima Ekere Must Go!”: Protests Rock NDDC Headquarters (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Emefiele Must Go Protests Storm CBN Headquarters by ganisucks(f): 4:47pm On Jan 11, 2023
The National Youth Council of Nigeria (NYCN) and a coalition of Civil Society Organisations (CSOs) have reinforced the call for resignation of Godwin Emefiele from his role as governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) over alleged terrorism financing.

Members of the coalition, who staged a protest in front of CBN headquarters, Abuja, on Wednesday, January 11, urged the CBN governor to submit himself to relevant authorities for investigation in order to clear his name from allegations of economic crimes and terrorism financing, The Nation reports.

The coalition, in a letter to Emefiele, asked him to honorably resign from his role.

The coalition’s letter was co-signed by Comrade Dr. Solomon Adodo, president of NYCN, Hon. Yusuf Ibn Tom, secretary-general of NYCN, Comrade Okpanachi Jacob, convener, Civil Society Advocacy Groups for Accountability and Probity and Comrade Balarabe Musa.

The coalition, while pressing home its demands, noted that it had previously led a protest on December 23, 2022, requesting Emefiele’s immediate resignation, and giving the reasons for the call.

The coalition, in as statement, said that, “We need not remind you that you are fully aware of the true reason why the Department of State Services (DSS) seeks to question and to investigate you fully.

“The fact that you have introduced politics into your alleged crimes against the nation cannot change the fact.

“And after all the drama, you will still have to answer to the alleged crimes.
“It is on record that other deputy governors and directors of the CBN who were invited by the DSS were all allowed to go after clearing themselves.

“Your decision to resort to blackmail is therefore very strange and inexplicable.

“Just recently in far away London, the founder of Daar Communications Plc, Chief Raymond Dokpesi, underwent a routine security questioning, and thereafter was released.

“We wish to remind you that ordinarily you know that it is normal for security examination to be conducted of Very Important Persons (VIPs) and high public office holders.”

The group also encouraged Emefiele to stop running away from the law, noting that if he had no case to answer, there would be no need for him to leave the country.

The statement reads, “It appears that you are hunted by your own activities which are suspected to be treasonable.

“Let us at this juncture make it clear to you that the invitation by the DSS has absolutely nothing to do with any of the policies of the CBN.

“The claims of your hirelings are not only irresponsible, but an unfortunate mischief taken to a ridiculous level.

“It is on record that in all your voodoo economic policies, destructive forex regime and alleged corruption, the DSS has never for once interfered.
“The agency has never expressed any economic opinion directly or indirectly because it is outside its mandate, and it has conducted itself always very professionally.

“Therefore, your claims of persecution have no nexus, history, variables and certainly, no fact. The truth is that you are a fugitive from justice.
” It is our firm position that you have in recent times clearly abused sections 9 and 11(2) (a & c) of the CBN Act and therefore have no more legal or moral currency to remain as the governor of CBN.

“For the records, section 9 of the CBN act forbids you from venturing into any activity that will distract you from your full-time duties.
“The NYCN maintains its stand that your not-too-covert aspiration for the presidency of the country while in office was a monumental distraction contrary to the above quoted section.
“Furthermore, we contend that you cannot continue to run an important institution like the CBN from overseas.

“And since you have not formally sought an asylum, which the NYCN will gladly support you if it has merits, the only other reason that must have kept you abroad or away from office for so long must be ill-health, except you wish to admit that you are running from justice.

“Consequently, you are in breach of section 11 (2) (a & c) of the CBN act, and should cease to be in office.

“The section states that: “The governor, deputy governor or director shall cease to hold office in the bank if he: (a) becomes of unsound mind or owing to ill-health, (b) is incapable of carrying out his duties (c) is guilty of a serious misconduct in relation to his duties under this act

“Either way, both conditions apply in your instant case and you should be honourable, even if it is for once.

“Consequently, we demand that you begin the process of your resignation as stated under the CBN act 2007, or face a nationwide youth mass action.

“For someone who has aspired for the office of the President of Nigeria, you should cease to continue to bring shame to yourself and the exalted office of CBN governor.”

https://thestreetjournal.org/csos-protest-at-cbn-headquarters-insist-on-resignation-of-emefiele-over-alleged-terrorism-financing-photos/

Re: Emefiele Must Go Protests Storm CBN Headquarters by Karlovych: 4:48pm On Jan 11, 2023
grin Paid Agbado urchins and their masters haven't seen anything yet. Nice move from Emefiele, anything to prevent this on the eve of the election is highly commendable.

#OBIdience

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Emefiele Must Go Protests Storm CBN Headquarters by meobizy(f): 4:48pm On Jan 11, 2023
Not even in front of the building. Unserious lot. Here I was thinking they’d block the intersection to show seriousness. Make una dey one end of Nigeria dey protest while activities continue unhindered for another end of the country.
Re: Emefiele Must Go Protests Storm CBN Headquarters by ganisucks(f): 4:49pm On Jan 11, 2023
Everyone knows who is sponsoring these protests. They are the same people organizing 5k rallies all over Nigeria. The same way they organized the rallies, is the same they are organizing the protests.
February is not far.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Emefiele Must Go Protests Storm CBN Headquarters by Richardonald(m): 4:52pm On Jan 11, 2023
Imagine na youths dey carry this protests, that was financed by crook politicians..

This country tire me

All this old thieves have been fighting CBN gov. Because of new naira notesgrin

Emefiele carry Dem handicap

Re: Emefiele Must Go Protests Storm CBN Headquarters by PrinceOfLagos: 4:52pm On Jan 11, 2023
Tinubu and his urchins should go and sit down , Godwin emefiele is going nowhere
Re: Emefiele Must Go Protests Storm CBN Headquarters by fiizznation: 4:54pm On Jan 11, 2023
Went to a bank to get my own personal money, not anybody's money, and these people that I entrusted my money with are telling me that I CAN'T withdraw the amount I wanted to withdraw. That I have to withdraw the money in batches.

And the next thing you will hear is; this new policy is from CBN. Why are these people bent on frustrating the common man. I'm not a politician but a businessman. Why can't I have access to my own money?

Re: Emefiele Must Go Protests Storm CBN Headquarters by ganisucks(f): 4:56pm On Jan 11, 2023
fiizznation:
Went to a bank to get my own personal money, not anybody's money, and these people that I entrusted my money with are telling me that I CAN'T withdraw the amount I wanted to withdraw. That I have to withdraw the money in batches.

And the next thing you will hear is; this new policy is from CBN. Why are these people bent on frustrating the common man. I'm not a politician but a businessman. Why can't I have access to my own money?

Bear with them for now. After the election, you'll be free to withdraw as much as you want.
Re: Emefiele Must Go Protests Storm CBN Headquarters by fiizznation: 4:57pm On Jan 11, 2023
PrinceOfLagos:
Tinubu and his urchins should go and sit down , Godwin emefiele is going nowhere
If you are business person you won't be saying the nonsense you just said.

Some of you are just impossible

1 Like

Re: Emefiele Must Go Protests Storm CBN Headquarters by CharleyBright(m): 4:58pm On Jan 11, 2023
Okay.
See how Emefiele allowed himself to be deceived, used and dumped by Buhari and his cabals.
Didn't Emefiele says he has Buhari's 100% backing in all his actions?
So why hasn't Buhari called off his attack dogs that have been unleashed on Emefiele?
They set him up for disgrace by promising him he will be the next President and he should go ahead and declare to contest. And the brainless idiot fell for it and went to spend billions in campaign funds to contest election.
Now DSS are after him for that.
Maybe Buhari is not even aware that DSS is even after Emefiele.
Las Las he will be booted shamefully out of the CBN.
After all he has even over stayed there sef.
Slowpoke puppet on a string.
Re: Emefiele Must Go Protests Storm CBN Headquarters by fiizznation: 5:02pm On Jan 11, 2023
ganisucks:

Bear with them for now. After the election, you'll be free to withdraw as much as you want.
Bear with who? How about if the business runs down before they fix whatever that have to fix? Huh?

A business colleague wanted to withdraw some money from the bank and this foolish cashiers were telling him he has to part away with a whooping 200,000 thousand if he wants to get the money. Who does that for God sake.
Re: Emefiele Must Go Protests Storm CBN Headquarters by greatiyk4u(m): 5:03pm On Jan 11, 2023
Go where exactly?
Re: Emefiele Must Go Protests Storm CBN Headquarters by MadamExcellency: 5:03pm On Jan 11, 2023
fiizznation:

Transfer the money to the beneficiaries. It's simple, I can transfer N5 million in a single transaction with one account to my supplier. No more abuse of naira notes.

There must be traces for large bulks. We want to know those sponsoring terrorists, trace bandits, kidnappers and money launderers

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Emefiele Must Go Protests Storm CBN Headquarters by Fkmodhi: 5:06pm On Jan 11, 2023
This is where the useless police should fire teargas on these nuisances of protesters
Re: Emefiele Must Go Protests Storm CBN Headquarters by Anambra1stSon(m): 5:09pm On Jan 11, 2023

Re: Emefiele Must Go Protests Storm CBN Headquarters by Foolishbuhari: 5:10pm On Jan 11, 2023
fiizznation:

Make a transfer and don't be crying here. The new naira notes and withdrawal restrictions must hold till at least after the elections. Nonsense vote buyers
Re: Emefiele Must Go Protests Storm CBN Headquarters by gaby(m): 5:10pm On Jan 11, 2023
I'm no Emefiele supporter but just look at these urchins.

Just take a good look at their shoes and you'll understand where they are trekking down from.

Youths who'd do anyone's bidding not minding how detrimental to their future it would all become at the end of the day so long as they are instantly gratified for the now.

What a shame.

I know 90% of these urchins. We call them protesters for hire.

You'll find them under the bridge at the Federal secretariat where those women sell ago and food.

This is their stock in trade...lol
Re: Emefiele Must Go Protests Storm CBN Headquarters by Foolishbuhari: 5:14pm On Jan 11, 2023
MadamExcellency:

Transfer the money to the beneficiaries. It's simple, I can transfer N5 million in a single transaction with one account to my supplier. No more abuse of naira notes.

There must be traces for large bulks. We want to know those sponsoring terrorists, trace bandits, kidnappers and money launderers
I even transfer more by either being physically present at the bank or giving instructions/authorization to my BO. Maybe na POS the guy dey do sha. All these nairaland "northern billionaires" grin grin
Re: Emefiele Must Go Protests Storm CBN Headquarters by beejaay: 5:16pm On Jan 11, 2023
fiizznation:

make transfer to whoever you are doing biz with... the cbn is an appointtee of the same buhari u sworn defend all d time...if your biz is legit make transfer..u can transfer as much as u want

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Emefiele Must Go Protests Storm CBN Headquarters by beejaay: 5:18pm On Jan 11, 2023
fiizznation:
Bear with who? How about if the business runs down before they fix whatever that have to fix? Huh?

A business colleague wanted to withdraw some money from the bank and this foolish cashiers were telling him he has to part away with a whooping 200,000 thousand if he wants to get the money. Who does that for God sake.

this is a big lie.. the only way you will pay such ridiculous amount is if u want to withdraw well over a billion naira cash and what will your friend want to do with a billion naira cash if not scamming things..tell your friend to do transfer and its cheap and faster..let you transaction be traceable oga

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Emefiele Must Go Protests Storm CBN Headquarters by fiizznation: 5:24pm On Jan 11, 2023
MadamExcellency:

I know about the transfer. But if your business is about dealings with the locals, nobody will want any transfer from you. Besides even the transfer has its limit. I tried to transfer to some persons and my account was barred. Went to complain to the bankers, and these guys were still telling me is a new policy from CBN.

Emefiele is just clueless. How can redesigning currency or reducing people's daily withdrawal limit be an antidote to tackling terrorism or banditry. Does that even make any sense?

What's the work of the security agencies in the country? I don't even understand the silliness behind currency redesign

1 Like

Re: Emefiele Must Go Protests Storm CBN Headquarters by ganisucks(f): 5:25pm On Jan 11, 2023
Fkmodhi:
This is where the useless police should fire teargas on these nuisances of protesters
How will they?! When the police and protesters are like Barcelona male and female soccer club; and one big man from Lagos is their Carlos LaPorta. And he has in the NASS, his own Xavi Hernandez.
Re: Emefiele Must Go Protests Storm CBN Headquarters by NwaMamaIwota(f): 5:27pm On Jan 11, 2023
Drugnibu

Re: Emefiele Must Go Protests Storm CBN Headquarters by Suunnn(f): 5:42pm On Jan 11, 2023
Re: Emefiele Must Go Protests Storm CBN Headquarters by fiizznation: 5:42pm On Jan 11, 2023
beejaay:

this is a big lie.. the only way you will pay such ridiculous amount is if u want to withdraw well over a billion naira cash and what will your friend want to do with a billion naira cash if not scamming things..tell your friend to do transfer and its cheap and faster..let you transaction be traceable oga
And what's anybody's business if he decides to withdraw whatever amount from his account? Is it not his money? The politicians that emefiele said he is fighting are still getting any amount from their various bank managers and nobody is sanctioning them.

Why will Emefiele policy only affect SMEs, small entrepreneurs, locals and rural dwellers? A banking system that tax almost anything you do with a bank is just setting up receipts for disaster. You can't even get decent loans from the banks without outrageous interest. And all these silly policies are emefiele's handwork.

Anyway I don't blame him, rather I blame buhari for retaining that incompetent man for almost 8yrs. And look at the disaster the man brought to the country because of his incompetence.

Most of you here have zero idea about the kind of damage emefiele did to the banking sector that's why you will support him.

Anyways his time is almost up!

1 Like

Re: Emefiele Must Go Protests Storm CBN Headquarters by Phantom233: 5:55pm On Jan 11, 2023
He has already ran away to uk na
Re: Emefiele Must Go Protests Storm CBN Headquarters by T9ksy(m): 6:19pm On Jan 11, 2023
fiizznation:
I know about the transfer. But if your business is about dealings with the locals, nobody will want any transfer from you. Besides even the transfer has its limit. I tried to transfer to some persons and my account was barred. Went to complain to the bankers, and these guys were still telling me is a new policy from CBN.

Emefiele is just clueless. How can redesigning currency or reducing people's daily withdrawal limit be an antidote to tackling terrorism or banditry. Does that even make any sense?

What's the work of the security agencies in the country? I don't even understand the silliness behind currency redesign

@ bolded.......... of course, it doesn't make any sense (to any sane mind) however, to many in that country where their leaders have democratically weaponised poverty, right across the country, it sounds just about the right thing to do to combat kidnappers' ransoms, vote-buying, money laundry etc
Re: Emefiele Must Go Protests Storm CBN Headquarters by ican2020: 6:20pm On Jan 11, 2023
Foolish people
Re: Emefiele Must Go Protests Storm CBN Headquarters by Felabrity: 6:25pm On Jan 11, 2023
It was organized by someone that wants to be his successor
Re: Emefiele Must Go Protests Storm CBN Headquarters by Felabrity: 6:26pm On Jan 11, 2023
Emefiele turned 200naira/dollar to 800 naira
He bought APC presidential form
They didn't arrest him or link him to terrorism until he decided to work against them, by changing the currency
Re: Emefiele Must Go Protests Storm CBN Headquarters by Champa(m): 8:09am On Jan 12, 2023
Good day all

REGISTER YOUR BUSINESS WITH CAC

Are you a
business owner
firm owner
contractor
consultant
NGO/school/church/club owner
self employed or intending to start any business in the future .

Is your business name registered with Corporate Affairs Commission-CAC ?

IF YOUR ANSWER IS NO!
KINDLY DM ME NOW ON WASSAP/CALL 07054810684

Lets get you registered within 2week @affordable Price.

BENEFITS OF GETTING YOUR BUSINESS/COMPANY REGISTERED WITH CAC

* With the new CBN policy, registering your business will help you to open business/cooperate account and be able to make withdrawal of 5m maximum in a week without being charged unlike individual account,you can only withdraw 500k in a week.

* Safaguading your business/company name from being used by others.

*. Registered business name can get you a contract from government

*. Issuance of certificate of incorporation by CAC

*. It serves as an assurance to your client that you are doing a legitimate business

*. Business trip to other country etc

(1) (2) (Reply)

Again Peter Obi Leads In Offline Opinion Poll / ESN Neutralised Some Ebubeagu Security Outfit Today - IPOB / Atiku Won A Local Government In Osun State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.