Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,183 members, 7,822,005 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 12:47 AM

I Never Wanted Third Term Presidency - Obasanjo - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / I Never Wanted Third Term Presidency - Obasanjo (14509 Views)

Presidency: Obasanjo Woos North For Obi/Baba-Ahmed - Newtelegraphng / Dokpesi, Others Sells Atiku One-Term Presidency, Explains How It Favours SE / Presidency: ‘Obasanjo Shocked Over Atiku’s Emergence As PDP Flag Bearer’ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Never Wanted Third Term Presidency - Obasanjo by Ofunaofu: 8:18am On Jan 13, 2023
• Constitution amendment, devolution of power sacrosanct
• Lawmakers apportioning their salaries, wrong
• I’m not in Obi’s campaign train

Former President, Chief Olusegun Obasanjo, yesterday, refuted claims that he wanted a third term as President of the country, noting that he would have, if he did.

Obasanjo, who stated this at a virtual engagement organised by Africa Leadership Group, which has as theme, “Leadership and nation-building,” and anchored by Pastor Itua Ighodalo, said, “I never asked for a third term. If I wanted a third term, I would have got it. I am audacious enough to know how to get it.”

He noted that getting debt relief for the country, which was almost impossible, was a pointer, as he “got it.”

He, however, stated that the biggest problem of Africa today is leadership, saying it imparts on governance and nation building.

According to him, “Nigeria is where we are because of leadership. We must decisively look for men and women who have the character, attributes, skill and attitude that we need for leadership that will deliver this country.”

When asked if he would mobilise former head of states to support the candidature of the Labour Party’s Peter Obi, having given him an open endorsement, Obasanjo said he would not go on campaign train for anybody.

“I am not on his campaign train. I do not belong to any political party. I will not join any campaign train. I’ve said what is best for the country.”

Speaking on the Nigerian Constitution, Obasanjo called for an amendment, noting that no constitution is perfect. “Some people blame the constitution for everything in Nigeria. Of course, our constitution is not perfect, and there is no constitution that is sacrosanct and it can be amended.”

He said part of what should be included in the amended constitution is devolution of power.

Obasanjo also queried how Nigerian lawmakers apportion salaries to themselves, noting that they go beyond the boundary of their lawmaking to give themselves obscene salaries.

The lawmakers have no right to fix their own salary. The salary and bonus of our lawmakers is supposed to be fixed by revenue mobilisation but they took it upon themselves to do that. Where is that done? When I was there, whatever I believed should not be paid, since I have to release the fund, I don’t release. There was a time they threatened to impeach me.”

While lamenting the amount of petroleum products that are being stolen, which he said are mind boggling, he said the level of corruption, kidnapping and banditry in the country is worrisome.

“With this type of situation, the economy will not grow the way it ought. People will not come and invest in a country that is not secure and safe. Unless there is investment there will not be growth.

“We don’t have absolute control of our oil industry. Since the discovery of oil in commercial quantities in 1956 up to today, we are still flaring gas. The amount of money we are flaring in gas is colossal, those who are exploring and exploiting our oil, didn’t feel they need the gas, if all we have done is to produce that gas for our domestic use by now, our situation would have been different. ”

MEANWHILE, Obasanjo has denied the allegation that he was planning to rig the 2023 presidential election in favour of Obi.

Unverified media reports had alleged that Obasanjo gave the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) N5 billion to rig next month’s presidential election in favour of Obi.

“The former President, Chief Olusegun Obasanjo is not responsible for the viral stories on some discredited platforms on the forthcoming general elections in Nigeria,” his spokesman, Kehinde Akinyemi, said in a statement issued yesterday.

Akinyemi, Special Assistant on Media to the former President, stressed that the viral story was completely false.

“Also, apart from the letters dated January 1, 2023 respectively, one which was addressed to the Nigerian youths and the other to Prof. Toyin Falola on his 70th birthday, there has been no other public or private letter written to anybody by the former President.

“The reading public is for the umpteenth time reminded that only a statement duly signed by His Excellency, Chief Olusegun Obasanjo or by his Media Assistant, Kehinde Akinyemi are to be allowed into the media space.

“If need be, necessary checks can be made to confirm the authenticity of such documents before publication to avoid any embarrassment,” the statement said.

https://guardian.ng/news/nigeria/i-never-wanted-third-term-presidency-says-obasanjo/

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Never Wanted Third Term Presidency - Obasanjo by MICHEALADEX(m): 8:57am On Jan 13, 2023
Oyo

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Never Wanted Third Term Presidency - Obasanjo by Curious345: 9:19am On Jan 13, 2023
Nigeria best leader ever . Rated next to Yar'adua..

He (Obasanjo) was good and he brought a good man to take over (Yar'adua)

Buhari is an error , yet he is bringing a vegetative, Demented , close-to-the-grave balabluu buzuubaba bubarblala to inherit his seat

What could be worse?

73 Likes 6 Shares

Re: I Never Wanted Third Term Presidency - Obasanjo by Curious345: 9:19am On Jan 13, 2023
Obasanjo remains the best president this current Nigeria never heard ..

he is Nigeria's version of a PAUL KIGAME(president Rwanda}.. he should have been left to rule until death.. if only we knew ..

24 Likes 4 Shares

Re: I Never Wanted Third Term Presidency - Obasanjo by Throwback: 9:20am On Jan 13, 2023
Liar liar

32 Likes 3 Shares

Re: I Never Wanted Third Term Presidency - Obasanjo by Jahwinaboy(m): 9:20am On Jan 13, 2023
Baba Ijebu the underground champ. Though not perfect, I still value your kind of politics

5 Likes

Re: I Never Wanted Third Term Presidency - Obasanjo by Thiefnubudrugki: 9:20am On Jan 13, 2023
Obasanjo is a big fraud, everyone knows that OBJ wanted third term only obi mobs will agree with this big lie from their godfather

59 Likes 7 Shares

Re: I Never Wanted Third Term Presidency - Obasanjo by Coolestguy2023: 9:20am On Jan 13, 2023
Lamba. No worry, since you have endored Peter Pandora, ipob miscreants will believe you, support you and defend your lies.

45 Likes 5 Shares

Re: I Never Wanted Third Term Presidency - Obasanjo by Divoc19(f): 9:20am On Jan 13, 2023
We know
Re: I Never Wanted Third Term Presidency - Obasanjo by Nyanabo(m): 9:20am On Jan 13, 2023
Yea, I find it hard to believe an employee would be the one to determine his paycheck at the end of the month. There should be a seperate body for that. Maybe the FIRS under the ministry of Finance and budget planning. Because how can an employee be given the power to determine his salary and you expect him to take peanuts? Laughable.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Never Wanted Third Term Presidency - Obasanjo by Nobody: 9:20am On Jan 13, 2023
Throwback:
Liar liar
I blv him.
Till today, no one has produced video evidence, voice note, transcript etc. I v read all journals of that time and found nothing to insinuate OBJ wanted third term.
Maybe a thought or in one of his careless talks. Or a suggestion. But he knew he doesn't need to do it and he stopped it.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Never Wanted Third Term Presidency - Obasanjo by ENGINEERG(m): 9:20am On Jan 13, 2023
If OBASANJO had ruled Nigeria for Third or fourth term, Nigeria would have been better than now.
Because Nigeria had direction then.
Nepotism was low, and competent people were holding positions.
We knew they were corrupt too, but corruption of APC government is so much than their own.

In Rwanda, Paul Kigame is now doing 4th term in office of 7yrs each term...And the country is doing well.
Even international communities are still disturbing them that they don't follow rule of law and democracy, but citizens are happy with him. And they want him to continue.
Life expectancy of Rwanda is now 70yrs, and they have the best government.

11 Likes

Re: I Never Wanted Third Term Presidency - Obasanjo by Dikaveli(m): 9:20am On Jan 13, 2023
No explanation baba

We believe you

Atiku and tinubu supporters can go to hell

4 Likes

Re: I Never Wanted Third Term Presidency - Obasanjo by nairalee(m): 9:20am On Jan 13, 2023
Baba, this rumor has been on since 2007 and you're just debunking in 2023? After 16 years?

The reason why you've been quiet all these while should continue

10 Likes

Re: I Never Wanted Third Term Presidency - Obasanjo by Donedeal1(m): 9:21am On Jan 13, 2023
But you really wanted it then?.

5 Likes

Re: I Never Wanted Third Term Presidency - Obasanjo by Judolisco(m): 9:21am On Jan 13, 2023
That's correct... If he really wanted it, he would have gotten it...na Africa we dey...

1 Like

Re: I Never Wanted Third Term Presidency - Obasanjo by akpaulite(m): 9:21am On Jan 13, 2023
Mini dictator

2 Likes

Re: I Never Wanted Third Term Presidency - Obasanjo by malali: 9:21am On Jan 13, 2023
But you wanted Fourth Term........Baba Iyabo.... grin

2 Likes

Re: I Never Wanted Third Term Presidency - Obasanjo by bincesuccess: 9:21am On Jan 13, 2023
“I never asked for a third term. If I wanted a third term, I would have got it. I am audacious enough to know how to get it.”

This have finally buried the issue of "Third term propaganda"

Kindly contact me if you have infection. Any type, including staphylococcus aureus. Zero seven zero 35*44*82*67
Re: I Never Wanted Third Term Presidency - Obasanjo by DSC7: 9:22am On Jan 13, 2023
No need to shalaye Baba Agba...

Leave urchins to continue with their campaign of Calumny and Stale propagandas...
Re: I Never Wanted Third Term Presidency - Obasanjo by aieromon(m): 9:22am On Jan 13, 2023

1 Like

Re: I Never Wanted Third Term Presidency - Obasanjo by Dogalmighty17: 9:22am On Jan 13, 2023
Liar! Late senator Mantu was the man OBJ used to push that plot. We all saw the huge ghana must go bags of money that they distributed in the Senate. That plot failed because Atiku and some governors like George Akume of Benue state foiled it. Obj should keep quiet. Enough of the lies.

25 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Never Wanted Third Term Presidency - Obasanjo by Mayng01(m): 9:22am On Jan 13, 2023
Once upon a country
Re: I Never Wanted Third Term Presidency - Obasanjo by windvane(m): 9:22am On Jan 13, 2023
OBJ and lies....continue...your daughter's open letter is still fresh like kepus

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Never Wanted Third Term Presidency - Obasanjo by sultry69(m): 9:23am On Jan 13, 2023
This old man still dey lie.

As old as you are,instead of you to be seeking forgiveness from God.

No president was as corrupt as OBJ and his Vice, Atiku since our returned to democracy,not even GEJ,not even Buhari.

He has the golden opportunity to turn Nigeria around just as that Rwandan president did,but he choose corruption instead,I refused to blame GEJ,Buhari and any future president in this country because the foundation was totally faulty and OBJ/Atiku laid the foundation I'm talking in 99.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Never Wanted Third Term Presidency - Obasanjo by NOETHNICITY(m): 9:23am On Jan 13, 2023
The self acclaimed saint is now ashamed of his past.
Big lesson for those desperate for power

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Never Wanted Third Term Presidency - Obasanjo by extol1(m): 9:23am On Jan 13, 2023
It would have been better for this country for life if not all these insurgent, bandit and kidnapping wouldn't have existed

1 Like

Re: I Never Wanted Third Term Presidency - Obasanjo by Elxandre(m): 9:24am On Jan 13, 2023
Don't whine us sir.

6 Likes

Re: I Never Wanted Third Term Presidency - Obasanjo by Nobody: 9:24am On Jan 13, 2023
Nigeria
Re: I Never Wanted Third Term Presidency - Obasanjo by Racoon(m): 9:25am On Jan 13, 2023
You lied sir. Abi you dey whine us ni?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Never Wanted Third Term Presidency - Obasanjo by michoim(m): 9:25am On Jan 13, 2023
Curious345:
Nigeria best leader ever . Rated next to Yar'adua..

He was good and he brought a good man to take over from himself

Buhari is an error , yet he is bringing a vegetative Demented close to the grave balabluu to inherit his seat

What could be worse?
What do you know? It would have been better if just keep quiet...

6 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Obi Gets 12 States, Tinubu 13, Atiku 8 With Two Undecided States. / Suicide Bomber Arrested In Bauchi / Our Target Is To Make Lagos Third Largest Economy In Africa – Ambode

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.