Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,231 members, 7,818,781 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:53 AM

Lithium Is The New Oil, Gov’t Must Control Its Exploitation – Malami - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lithium Is The New Oil, Gov’t Must Control Its Exploitation – Malami (23148 Views)

2023: Atiku Must Control His Cabal - Zakari Alfa / Arewa Controls Its Gold But Niger Delta Can't Control Its Oil - Rep Dagogo Angry / “Why We Must Control Social Media” - Garba Shehu (Buhari Spokesman) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lithium Is The New Oil, Gov’t Must Control Its Exploitation – Malami by Talawaka: 11:46am On Jan 13, 2023
nedu666:
Does nigeria have the technology to process lithium
Does nigeria have the technology to extract lithium
Or govt own is to be shouting lithium lithium.

So Nigeria should simply allow unfettered access to its reserves, because it currently lacks the technology to process lithium, huh?
There I was thinking that sort of colonial-mentality was sunsetted last millennium. cool

Note: Anyone foreign actor not interested in improving our value chain is simply not welcome anymore - Talawaka cool
Re: Lithium Is The New Oil, Gov’t Must Control Its Exploitation – Malami by WebMind: 11:50am On Jan 13, 2023
Lithium cells power many things. Electric cars, gadgets, back ups.
Re: Lithium Is The New Oil, Gov’t Must Control Its Exploitation – Malami by Emmani360(m): 11:52am On Jan 13, 2023
This is why it drives me nuts when people open their mouth to accuse other countries of sucking Nigeria. Our govt is just useless, from Obasanjo to Goodluck and then Buhari.

Why do we have to wait till it's too late to give attention to sectors with very big revenue generating potential. Each govt enters and keep their focus on oil when the world is trying to move away from fossil fuel.

Nigeria would have stood to greatly benefit from this Russia-Ukraine war had we invested heavily in gas but we didn't even when we have one of the biggest gas reserves in the world.

Didn't even know we had lithium, something so important to the whole going electric that the western world is pursuing and we are not investing to make it a viable sector in our economy.

We will wait for the foreign companies to come and bribe their way into the whole sector and make huge profits without investing to maintain our environment then we will come and start casting blames on govts doing better for the people in their countries.

Saudi Arabia has oil but they are fully in control of their oil through Saudi Aramco which is among the top 5 biggest oil companies in the world but look at NNPC

Our greed and incompetent leaders is our problem not interference from foreign govts

3 Likes

Re: Lithium Is The New Oil, Gov’t Must Control Its Exploitation – Malami by Yankee101: 11:52am On Jan 13, 2023
After Chinese don dey exploit am for nigeria already
Soon you go hear 'bandits' don take over the area
Re: Lithium Is The New Oil, Gov’t Must Control Its Exploitation – Malami by geosegun(m): 11:53am On Jan 13, 2023
nedu666:

Nigeria can stat to develop those technology. You don't have to wait until its too late.
Re: Lithium Is The New Oil, Gov’t Must Control Its Exploitation – Malami by Ojiofor: 11:54am On Jan 13, 2023
mrvitalis:

Yes ....afikpo is straight down river to calabar ... perfect for inland see port

Correct but that isn't direct access to the sea as your post suggested.
Re: Lithium Is The New Oil, Gov’t Must Control Its Exploitation – Malami by adecz: 11:56am On Jan 13, 2023
Fulani in control of every strategic
sector in Nigeria ❗️❗️☹️☹️☹️
Re: Lithium Is The New Oil, Gov’t Must Control Its Exploitation – Malami by AfonjaConehead: 12:02pm On Jan 13, 2023
mrvitalis:

Bro there is no sharing everyone control what is on your land ...you have no business with what's on someone's land
.that's how it is in Europe till date families still own land

America's is a settler country with no or little indigenous people ,same Europeans practicing our system in America would never attempt such in Europe

Europe fought for 100s of years till they drew boundary along ethnic lines

The few having issues are the ones who want to control other ethnic nationalities , Spain for exam , Italy
Thank you so much for the matured way and manner you handled that empty head mullah who thinks he's got substance upstairs....
Re: Lithium Is The New Oil, Gov’t Must Control Its Exploitation – Malami by mrvitalis(m): 12:10pm On Jan 13, 2023
Ojiofor:

Correct but that isn't direct access to the sea as your post suggested.

I didn't say they had contact with the sea
Re: Lithium Is The New Oil, Gov’t Must Control Its Exploitation – Malami by Horokrox: 12:22pm On Jan 13, 2023
FreeStuffsNG:

smh. You better read up on mining, it is not ipob politics and low IQ Asiwaju Tinubu bashing passtime o.

To build a functional mine takes between 5 to 10 years and if you are here "commanding FG leave oil NOW! " then you are obviously not knowledgeable about economic matters.
Oil is way far ahead of Lithium and mining is not a rival to oil, it is complementary.

Coal, oil and gas will still power the main to recharge the Lithium cell besides because fossil fuels remain the cheapest and relatively easy to mine. There are other metals apart from Lithium that can be less expensive and more adaptable in later years.

Finally, info like this are not only to read and go, they tell you were money is going; follow the money.
check my signature for free stuffs!
Especially when the activists of "Green Energy" in Europe Such as Germany are now using dirty Energy Sources like Coal due to Energy Warfare with Russia also Polish citizens are resorting to any source of Energy including burning of Refuse and morever there is an insufficient supply of Energy (Oil and Gas) from Azerbaijan and Kazakhstan,etc to sustain German Industries grin
Re: Lithium Is The New Oil, Gov’t Must Control Its Exploitation – Malami by Horokrox: 12:28pm On Jan 13, 2023
GeneralPula:

A journey of thousand miles do start with a single step..
Even in woke EU and the USA there is still dependence upon Fossil Fuels and morever the resource base of Rare Earth Metals is limited and it will take MANY decades for the World to phase out Fossil fuel usage undecided
Re: Lithium Is The New Oil, Gov’t Must Control Its Exploitation – Malami by slimfit1(m): 12:44pm On Jan 13, 2023
Madmohamed123:
our brothers from Niger Delta lose the opportunity, now oil will be useless soon still yet no any tangible development in Niger Delta what are they going to tell their unborn children that they ones have oil and fill to listen to igbo brother to take back their oil from Fulani.

I hope they will not blame Igbo for that

Don't talk about those people they have half brains.
Re: Lithium Is The New Oil, Gov’t Must Control Its Exploitation – Malami by Ojiofor: 12:47pm On Jan 13, 2023
mrvitalis:

I didn't say they had contact with the sea

Okay.
Re: Lithium Is The New Oil, Gov’t Must Control Its Exploitation – Malami by simonsayz: 12:48pm On Jan 13, 2023
Make one company buy rights and build company in Nigeria giving us employment and relevance
ijustdey:

https://leadership.ng/lithium-is-the-new-oil-govt-must-control-its-exploitation-malami/
Re: Lithium Is The New Oil, Gov’t Must Control Its Exploitation – Malami by Occurstaem(m): 12:48pm On Jan 13, 2023
Malami commended the minister of Mines and Steel Development, Arc. Olamilekan Adegbite, for protecting the interest of Nigeria while responding to Tesla’s bid to mine and export lithium from the country.

“Arc. Adegbite told the car manufacturing giant – Tesla – that he would not grant permission for their mining bid in Nigeria unless they will establish a lithium battery manufacturing plant in Nigeria,’ Malami said.

Brilliant from the minister.
We must avoid the mistake of crude oil.
Nice one from Mr. Malami too.
Tinubu/Shettima will harness our resources best.
So vote Tinubu/Shettima of APC.
Re: Lithium Is The New Oil, Gov’t Must Control Its Exploitation – Malami by christistruth01: 12:49pm On Jan 13, 2023
Does this mean that Communities with Lithium on their Lands will be driven off their Land and into the Jungle in the name of National Interest, because in Nigeria discovery of Valuable resources always leaves the community in which it was found
Polluted,and very worse off if not destitute and in desperate poverty?

In Nigeria discovery of Valuable resources is a Tragedy and very great Calamity for that Community

It has often been the beginning of the end for that Community

Updated

Our Oyo state has Lithium in Commercial Quantities I just found out

Hmmmm, it is looking like a disaster
Re: Lithium Is The New Oil, Gov’t Must Control Its Exploitation – Malami by BalticGold: 12:51pm On Jan 13, 2023
Kogi, Kwara, Ekiti and Cross River states that's were u find lithium in Nigeria ...now they want to control it

I have always known kogi , Kwara ,cross River, Benue and ebonyi are the richest states in Nigeria but generally have bad leaders ...if I govern any of those states ... revenue per year would never be below 2 billion dollars

Benue ,Kwara , cross River have the potential to dominate the world ethanol market ...

Ebonyi has the best rice in the world for me ...the taste is wonderful , that's just 5% of their potential , their straight access to see can make them the perfect window Northern export

We need to restructure this country abeg.

Indeed Nigeria is a very bless country. The only problem is lack of leadership and political will to execute policies. I am from Cross River State, l traveled just this past December to my village and discover that we have gold in commercial quantity in my village. I saw mined gold in it raw state.
Re: Lithium Is The New Oil, Gov’t Must Control Its Exploitation – Malami by famouscargo4u: 12:53pm On Jan 13, 2023
mrvitalis:
Kogi, Kwara, Ekiti and Cross River states that's were u find lithium in Nigeria ...now they want to control it

I have always known kogi , Kwara ,cross River, Benue and ebonyi are the richest states in Nigeria but generally have bad leaders ...if I govern any of those states ... revenue per year would never be below 2 billion dollars

Benue ,Kwara , cross River have the potential to dominate the world ethanol market ...

Ebonyi has the best rice in the world for me ...the taste is wonderful , that's just 5% of their potential , their straight access to see can make them the perfect window Northern export

We need to restructure this country abeg

Especially Kogi. Very rich in mineral resources.
Re: Lithium Is The New Oil, Gov’t Must Control Its Exploitation – Malami by mrvitalis(m): 12:55pm On Jan 13, 2023
famouscargo4u:

Especially Kogi. Very rich in mineral resources.
All of them Nigerian farmers farm cassava and get 10 tons per hectare , southern Africa farmers came to kwara and got average of 50 tons ...you know how many litters of ethanol Kwara can produce ?

Starch , glucose,high fructose syrup that's just one crop
Re: Lithium Is The New Oil, Gov’t Must Control Its Exploitation – Malami by brandsoncharlie: 12:57pm On Jan 13, 2023
nedu666:
They don’t, they won’t invest now to harness it after looting the hell out of it, matters start arising.
Re: Lithium Is The New Oil, Gov’t Must Control Its Exploitation – Malami by Golan007: 1:06pm On Jan 13, 2023
richeeyo:
I use to think you get Lithium from Cobalt
Abi
Ayam confused ooo undecided undecided lipsrsealed

Cobalt is a separate element from Lithium.

1 Like

Re: Lithium Is The New Oil, Gov’t Must Control Its Exploitation – Malami by brandsoncharlie: 1:09pm On Jan 13, 2023
Raheeqilmaktoom:

That's why they need the investors to come in, govt does not need to have knowledge and competence in the extraction of these resources, all they need is to have enough knowledge to manage, control and provide effective oversight such that the county's interests are protected.
Nigeria government needs to build infrastructures to fully own it with adequate management and maintenance, not some sharing formula like shell and others gulping almost 60% of profits of crude oil.
Take loans and build it, employ expertise in the field , pay them standard then transfer knowledge through training of Nigerian citizens as time goes on it will refinance the project .
Nigeria government will never do it because they’re very corrupt.

2 Likes

Re: Lithium Is The New Oil, Gov’t Must Control Its Exploitation – Malami by DaveHarry(m): 1:14pm On Jan 13, 2023
kafeii123:

If this is true... I'll advise yourself and your family to go survey the area very well...there may already be and underground tunnel dug into your land from far outsiderl the place...where the ore is being secretly mined... It's happening in Osun state currently...families will suddenly find tunnel in there yard while trying to dig water well....not knowing they had been sitting on a gold mine for years... without their knowing
Na chance wey I neva get, I for don start some waka sf
Re: Lithium Is The New Oil, Gov’t Must Control Its Exploitation – Malami by Ebubu: 1:41pm On Jan 13, 2023
mrvitalis:

Afikpo sits at the bank of the ITU river which flows straight to the ocean

Afikpo is best for agro processing n inland port for goods produced in the middle belt ,north east corridor
if the point where it flows to the ocean, does not have seaport, sorry about it undecided
Re: Lithium Is The New Oil, Gov’t Must Control Its Exploitation – Malami by Bonjovi13: 1:43pm On Jan 13, 2023
ijustdey:

https://leadership.ng/lithium-is-the-new-oil-govt-must-control-its-exploitation-malami/

I just hope these self serving leaders would listen and act accordingly.
The operative phrase is ... to act in the political and economic interests of the country."
Let them prioritise the county's interest before personal interest and enact the needed legislation and policies that would ensure that the entire value chain in Lithium exploitation is nationalistic in view.
With the available and potential Lithium reserve Nigeria has, we would be poised to turn the fortunes of the country around for good in the next decade.
Let them not do what they did with oil.
Let everyone begin to advocate and influence Government in the right direction.
Re: Lithium Is The New Oil, Gov’t Must Control Its Exploitation – Malami by Raheeqilmaktoom: 1:44pm On Jan 13, 2023
brandsoncharlie:

Nigeria government needs to build infrastructures to fully own it with adequate management and maintenance, not some sharing formula like shell and others gulping almost 60% of profits of crude oil.
Take loans and build it, employ expertise in the field , pay them standard then transfer knowledge through training of Nigerian citizens as time goes on it will refinance the project .
Nigeria government will never do it because they’re very corrupt.

There are many factors to these things, it's not just corruption.

And atimes especially given our history of managing govt owned enterprises, it's better to have private investors come in while the govt find ways to protect it's citizens interests. The two are not mutually exclusive.
Re: Lithium Is The New Oil, Gov’t Must Control Its Exploitation – Malami by richeeyo(m): 1:45pm On Jan 13, 2023
kafeii123:

Lithium is different from cobalt.... lithium is needed for the battery electrolyte... graphite for the anode..then Nickel.. Manganese and Cobalt (NMC) for the cathodes
Thanks for that bto
Re: Lithium Is The New Oil, Gov’t Must Control Its Exploitation – Malami by brandsoncharlie: 1:55pm On Jan 13, 2023
Raheeqilmaktoom:

There are many factors to these things, it's not just corruption.

And atimes especially given our history of managing govt owned enterprises, it's better to have private investors come in while the govt find ways to protect it's citizens interests. The two are not mutually exclusive.
We have to employ foreigners with Nigerians with foreign background to manage it and integrate them with local one’s.
I have researched on Saudi Arabia, uae, Qatar etc they own 100% Of their resources not sharing formula like this niger delta corruption.
That’s why i like Arab they don’t have technology they will call you to build for them then own it 100% profits, simple.

1 Like

Re: Lithium Is The New Oil, Gov’t Must Control Its Exploitation – Malami by ShaqFu: 2:13pm On Jan 13, 2023
Is it just me, or did he forget to tell us how many kilos of lithium 5000 dollars can buy?
Re: Lithium Is The New Oil, Gov’t Must Control Its Exploitation – Malami by eben97: 2:17pm On Jan 13, 2023
mrvitalis:

We need to restructure this country abeg
Uare not far from d truth sir,our northern.. understand most of this permutations than every other geo~location in nigeria,hence their power of unity.The south has trouble with been united and focused.The average southerner can be very proud n selfsh,his greed wont allow him to see a greater cause
Re: Lithium Is The New Oil, Gov’t Must Control Its Exploitation – Malami by Raheeqilmaktoom: 2:24pm On Jan 13, 2023
Fiscus105:
Malami again?

NASRDA-(sci research) HALILU SHABA AHMED

NITDA(info tech) KASHIFU INUWA

MIN OF ICT.......... .ISA PATAMI.

ALL these men came from where education less disadvantage policy favor them.

People that will say they are less disadvantaged yesteryears, are the one Manning agencies that require rigorous brainstorm to today.

No thanks to nepotism and clannishness!
Why won't we be dancing backward?

Like seriously?

Tell me the education background of those people and weather they merit their posts or not.

I get, you just resent seeing an Ahmad or Ibrahim managing anything because in your bigoted mind, it does not fit him. Well get used to it or die trying.
Re: Lithium Is The New Oil, Gov’t Must Control Its Exploitation – Malami by Raheeqilmaktoom: 2:28pm On Jan 13, 2023
jimter44:

You didn't read the news. This Malami is different from the minister of justice and Attorney general.

Rearing is a chore you know. grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Masari Stops His Convoy To Help Accident Victims In Katsina. PICS / Buhari Not Critically Ill, Not In Hospital, Says Lai Mohammed / "Buhari’s Recovery Is A Miracle" - Dave Umahi, Ebonyi Governor

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.