Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,602 members, 7,812,972 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 12:40 AM

Lithium Is The New Oil, Gov’t Must Control Its Exploitation – Malami - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lithium Is The New Oil, Gov’t Must Control Its Exploitation – Malami (23133 Views)

2023: Atiku Must Control His Cabal - Zakari Alfa / Arewa Controls Its Gold But Niger Delta Can't Control Its Oil - Rep Dagogo Angry / “Why We Must Control Social Media” - Garba Shehu (Buhari Spokesman) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lithium Is The New Oil, Gov’t Must Control Its Exploitation – Malami by Menclothing: 2:29pm On Jan 13, 2023
Ok oooo
Re: Lithium Is The New Oil, Gov’t Must Control Its Exploitation – Malami by VawuIenceProMax: 2:58pm On Jan 13, 2023
Lithium is one of the most toxic minerals to mine. Education is power

1 Like

Re: Lithium Is The New Oil, Gov’t Must Control Its Exploitation – Malami by tctrills: 3:05pm On Jan 13, 2023
Madmohamed123:
our brothers from Niger Delta lose the opportunity, now oil will be useless soon still yet no any tangible development in Niger Delta what are they going to tell their unborn children that they ones have oil and fill to listen to igbo brother to take back their oil from Fulani.

I hope they will not bleam igbo for that
You guys are evil. If was our evil federal government and oil companies that destroyed the Niger delta. You polluted their lands, kill freedom fighters like Sarowiwa and ensured that only corrupt politicians rule their land then you turn round to blame the people.
Re: Lithium Is The New Oil, Gov’t Must Control Its Exploitation – Malami by drnoel: 3:31pm On Jan 13, 2023

1 Like

Re: Lithium Is The New Oil, Gov’t Must Control Its Exploitation – Malami by TheAlchemist: 3:43pm On Jan 13, 2023
sammirano:
First of all petrol cars cannot be phased out

For Africa to progress we need to change our mindset.
Re: Lithium Is The New Oil, Gov’t Must Control Its Exploitation – Malami by Broveens42(m): 4:07pm On Jan 13, 2023
Raheeqilmaktoom:

That's why they need the investors to come in, govt does not need to have knowledge and competence in the extraction of these resources, all they need is to have enough knowledge to manage, control and provide effective oversight such that the county's interests are protected.

This is why reasonable people like MNK.. are asking out of NIGERIA..
Lithium is just a raw material, why do you need an investor to extract something you can sell to other countries who may require them for other products?

Why shouldn't you as a government have knowledge about extraction of lithium at Least, through your various science and technology institutes/agencies.
No body is even asking you to produce battery and all that.
Why are you comfortable with the slave role?...

It has become clear, the only hope for Africa is an emergence of a Nation with radical minds and not afraid to take charge of their resources, in a way that its citizens feel the positive impact. Proceeds from the sales can cover social welfare programs for unemployed, as obtainable in some climes (utility)..

1 Like

Re: Lithium Is The New Oil, Gov’t Must Control Its Exploitation – Malami by Broveens42(m): 4:13pm On Jan 13, 2023
VawuIenceProMax:
Lithium is one of the most toxic minerals to mine. Education is power

And that doesn't mean you can't mine it with the right safety protocols ...
Enlightenment is key
Re: Lithium Is The New Oil, Gov’t Must Control Its Exploitation – Malami by VawuIenceProMax: 5:51pm On Jan 13, 2023
Broveens42:

And that doesn't mean you can't mine it with the right safety protocols ...
Enlightenment is key
oil una no fit drill without destroying naija delta , na lithium wey go destroy people in a matter of weeks una go fit mine abi.?
Re: Lithium Is The New Oil, Gov’t Must Control Its Exploitation – Malami by Emmanuel909090: 5:58pm On Jan 13, 2023
Nigeria is really blessed, but bad leaders won't let her shine.
Re: Lithium Is The New Oil, Gov’t Must Control Its Exploitation – Malami by akosh005: 6:11pm On Jan 13, 2023
Kwara lithium.

Re: Lithium Is The New Oil, Gov’t Must Control Its Exploitation – Malami by Raheeqilmaktoom: 9:00pm On Jan 13, 2023
Broveens42:

This is why reasonable people like MNK.. are asking out of NIGERIA..
Lithium is just a raw material, why do you need an investor to extract something you can sell to other countries who may require them for other products?

Why shouldn't you as a government have knowledge about extraction of lithium at Least, through your various science and technology institutes/agencies.
No body is even asking you to produce battery and all that.
Why are you comfortable with the slave role?...

It has become clear, the only hope for Africa is an emergence of a Nation with radical minds and not afraid to take charge of their resources, in a way that its citizens feel the positive impact. Proceeds from the sales can cover social welfare programs for unemployed, as obtainable in some climes (utility)..

Guy, there are various models of owning and operating public enterprises, govt waiting for investors is not in any way a bad idea. Besides, this is just the beginning, more will follow and the model of ownership can be restructured to suit whatever model the country needs. E.g NNPC, NLNG, etc.
Re: Lithium Is The New Oil, Gov’t Must Control Its Exploitation – Malami by Abdogood(m): 9:15pm On Jan 13, 2023
ijustdey:

https://leadership.ng/lithium-is-the-new-oil-govt-must-control-its-exploitation-malami/

See how the north will protect this new oil. South una go get sense.

1 Like

Re: Lithium Is The New Oil, Gov’t Must Control Its Exploitation – Malami by Konquest: 10:15pm On Jan 13, 2023
FreeStuffsNG:

smh. You better read up on mining, it is not in the league of your unpatriotic support for ipob terrorist killing of innocent poeple, politics of envy, hate, ignorance , hate and bigotry and low IQ Asiwaju Tinubu bashing idle passtime o.

To build a functional mine takes between 5 to 10 years and if you are here "commanding FG leave oil NOW! " then you are obviously not knowledgeable about economic matters.
Oil is way far ahead of Lithium and mining is not a rival to oil, it is complementary.

Coal, oil and gas will still power the main to recharge the Lithium cell besides because fossil fuels remain the cheapest and relatively easy to mine. There are other metals apart from Lithium that can be less expensive and more adaptable in later years.

Finally, info like this are not only to read and go, they tell you were money is going; follow the money.
check my signature for free stuffs!
Word!
Re: Lithium Is The New Oil, Gov’t Must Control Its Exploitation – Malami by Broveens42(m): 11:00pm On Jan 13, 2023
Raheeqilmaktoom:

Guy, there are various models of owning and operating public enterprises, govt waiting for investors is not in any way a bad idea. Besides, this is just the beginning, more will follow and the model of ownership can be restructured to suit whatever model the country needs. E.g NNPC, NLNG, etc.

So now you have NNPC and NLNG, what is its value to the ordinary Nigerians..? Would you blame them when this foreigners have ripped you off your resources??... that's what I'm talking about. You are comfortable with a foreigner/investor doing your extraction only (obviously because your science and tech can't come through)and hoping to form your own arm of extraction again without positive impact on the citizens.. notice my emphasis.. "UTILITY"

If you are talking about investors refining the raw to whatever products, then I would be eager for a conversation.
Re: Lithium Is The New Oil, Gov’t Must Control Its Exploitation – Malami by Broveens42(m): 11:19pm On Jan 13, 2023
VawuIenceProMax:
oil una no fit drill without destroying naija delta , na lithium wey go destroy people in a matter of weeks una go fit mine abi.?

That's why Kanu called Nigeria a zoo..
Oh you think he was referring to a particular tribe?.. No! He was referring to the system in Nigeria that allows even the foreigners(so called guys with technology know-how) to flare gas, and contaminate the environment with crude because they know your country is lawless as evident in the powerless environmental laws.

Mining isn't rocket science. Only a society that is enlightened with sound minds of their own can actually make progress.

Your foreign education doesn't matter, because you can actually remain stagnant with it as a country.

#Enlightenment is key

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Lithium Is The New Oil, Gov’t Must Control Its Exploitation – Malami by Broveens42(m): 11:47pm On Jan 13, 2023
Until people start illegal mining of lithium that's when you'll know it's no rocket science...

The Nigerian mind has been badly affected with a funny curriculum only to overthink what our forefathers saw as normal.
So I'm not surprised.. how can an adult not imagine mining of lithium as abstract when all he did in the secondary school was to cram about the earth structure and labelling all those troposphere, stratosphere

You cram dydx, Boyles law, Charles law with nothing to show for it

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Lithium Is The New Oil, Gov’t Must Control Its Exploitation – Malami by Omodua(m): 12:03am On Jan 14, 2023
mrvitalis:

In my earlier days of nairaland I used to write my ideas ...lol I am Igbo there is a limit to what I can do in Nigeria
Very sad. How do we develop if we don't unearth hidden talents from its citizens. Yours is a classical example of untapped talent from Nigerian state to revamp the economy and social infrastructures.
What a nation in dire straits missing opportunities!
Re: Lithium Is The New Oil, Gov’t Must Control Its Exploitation – Malami by mrvitalis(m): 12:08am On Jan 14, 2023
Omodua:
Very sad. How do we develop if we don't unearth hidden talents from its citizens. Yours is a classical example of untapped talent from Nigerian state to revamp the economy and social infrastructures.
What a nation in dire straits missing opportunities!
When we look back and take the advice the British left in 1959 wilinks report ....go back to 10 political equal 10 regions every region functions how they fell like
Re: Lithium Is The New Oil, Gov’t Must Control Its Exploitation – Malami by Omodua(m): 12:10am On Jan 14, 2023
mrvitalis:

When we look back and take the advice the British left in 1959 wilinks report ....go back to 10 political equal 10 regions every region functions how they fell like
You're a scholar bro.
Salute!
Re: Lithium Is The New Oil, Gov’t Must Control Its Exploitation – Malami by Konquest: 8:52am On Jan 14, 2023
ijustdey:

https://leadership.ng/lithium-is-the-new-oil-govt-must-control-its-exploitation-malami/
That's awesome!

A good thing that Tesla's plan to export Lithium out of Nigeria was rejected by the Minister of Mines and Steel Development, Olamilekan Adegbite.

Value-addition is the way to go for any resource-rich country.

Unfortunately, a lot of illegal mining is going on in the DRC with that country losing a lot of legit revenue running into billions of USD annually based on the undercover investigations I've seen.
Re: Lithium Is The New Oil, Gov’t Must Control Its Exploitation – Malami by GideonG(m): 4:28pm On Jan 14, 2023
Anyone in need of Lithium from Gombe state. Contact me
Re: Lithium Is The New Oil, Gov’t Must Control Its Exploitation – Malami by kafeii123: 8:39pm On Jan 14, 2023
DaveHarry:

Na chance wey I neva get, I for don start some waka sf
try do that I... although if you're going to even exploit it.... you'll have to first do it illegally....unless you have the money to apply for and get a mining license Since solid minerals like crude oil is also on the exclusive list
Re: Lithium Is The New Oil, Gov’t Must Control Its Exploitation – Malami by ebenhealth(m): 3:44pm On Jan 15, 2023
DaveHarry:
This particular lithium was discovered in my family land few years back, contractor promised to return but issues here n there no make dem fit continue even wen dey came back.
Which state is your family land situated please?
Re: Lithium Is The New Oil, Gov’t Must Control Its Exploitation – Malami by ebenhealth(m): 3:45pm On Jan 15, 2023
mrvitalis:

In my earlier days of nairaland I used to write my ideas ...lol I am Igbo there is a limit to what I can do in Nigeria
I think I'm disheartened by this, in any case, you never can tell who will reward your intelligence not minding your tribe
Re: Lithium Is The New Oil, Gov’t Must Control Its Exploitation – Malami by DaveHarry(m): 8:35am On Jan 16, 2023
ebenhealth:

Which state is your family land situated please?
Delta
Re: Lithium Is The New Oil, Gov’t Must Control Its Exploitation – Malami by Idiko1: 8:57am On Jan 16, 2023
ijustdey:

As the world moves from fossil-fuel cars to electric cars, the federal government has been strongly advised to formulate deliberate policies to control the exploration, mining, production and exportation of lithium in Nigeria.

Chairman of the Board of the Solid Minerals Development Fund (SMDF), Uba Sa’idu Malami, who made this call during a press briefing in Abuja yesterday, said lithium will soon replace oil as a strategic economic resource across the world, and formulating such policy would enable Nigeria to be in full control of the entire lithium value chain in order to make maximum benefit from the scramble for Nigerian lithium that is already in the offing.

Malami, a co-founder of the Geological Society of Nigeria (GSN), said: “Lithium is the new oil that could significantly control global wealth and economy of nations in the coming decades,” adding that the new economic order will be largely dictated by the ability of nations to take advantage of emerging opportunities afforded by lithium resources.

Discussing the strategic importance of lithium in modern technology and global economy, Malami said, “Diesel and gasoline were the energy source of cars for decades. Now, cars have migrated from the hydrocarbon to battery-charged cars, otherwise known as electric cars. So, the energy required by cars are the batteries, while lithium is the key component of batteries.”

He revealed that the price of lithium has risen from $500 to $5000 within three years adding that “Lithium is too strategic to be left open for exploration without control, especially as it is in global demand.”

According to him, the current regime where a company gets a licence and starts mining lithium without proper control and regulation is not in the best of the country.

The COMEG-certified geologist and businessman, who served on the Boards of some notable companies in the extractive industry before his appointment as SMDF Board chairman, said: “Any foreign investment in lithium must be controlled in a way that prioritises the political and economic interest of the country.

”We must be jealous and quick to develop very intentional policies that will protect this prime mineral resource (lithium) like we did for oil and gas decades ago. If this is not done, it is a disservice to the nation and the continent of Africa.”

The SMDF board chairman noted that Nigeria should lead the way for the governments of African nations to take advantage of this opportune moment in history, and said if Nigeria controls local and foreign investments in lithium with patriotic fervor, it will attract enormous wealth to the country and strengthen her position in the emerging global economic order in the way as crude oil.

Malami commended the minister of Mines and Steel Development, Arc. Olamilekan Adegbite, for protecting the interest of Nigeria while responding to Tesla’s bid to mine and export lithium from the country.

“Arc. Adegbite told the car manufacturing giant – Tesla – that he would not grant permission for their mining bid in Nigeria unless they will establish a lithium battery manufacturing plant in Nigeria,’ Malami said.

LEADERSHIP reports that Nigeria is home to commercial quantities of lithium spread across states of the federation, but mined by artisanal miners in Nasarawa, Kogi, Kwara, Ekiti and Cross River states.

The SMDF board chair called for the establishment of a special-purpose fund for the exploration of lithium in the country saying: “We must be ready and deliberate in developing funds for lithium exploration and exploitation in Nigeria, just like we have the Petroleum Technology Development Fund (PTDF). A special purpose fund for lithium exploration and exploitation must be urgently made available to relevant authorities in order to ensure that Nigeria is positioned to occupy its prime place in the comity of nations in near future.

The geologist also called for a deliberate marketing strategy that will help the country control the rush for lithium that will come upon Nigeria and, in fact, Africa, so that they can attract the deliverables of the emerging global rush and trade with regards to lithium.

Malami who first made the call for strict control of lithium mining in 2019 after the discovery of high-grade lithium ores in the country said: “If we are going by numerical facts, there are millions of cars in use today in the world and the number may well be on the increase. These cars are in millions; they will require lithium as a source of energy.”

He explained that advancement in technology shows that the world is progressing to a future where diesel engines and petrol will be phased-out and replaced with cars that are powered with lithium batteries.

“When this happens, you can imagine how much lithium resources will be required to fire the electric vehicles that will be in use across the world!” he said.

Malami recalled the Climatic Resolutions of the 2021 United Nations Climate Change Conference (commonly referred to as COP 26), noting that the Resolutions passed by the nations aim to safeguard the environment.

He said: ‘The COP 26 resolutions called for the production of lithium battery-powered cars that will gradually replace the hydrocarbon engines,’ adding that “by various ways, lithium is the new oil.”

Malami who has been on the forefront of the advocacy for patriotic development of Nigeria’s mineral resources, further said he foresees the scramble for Nigeria’s lithium among developed economies.

‘The Chinese are here for lithium; the Americas are here, too, and even the Europeans. They are all here for Nigeria’s lithium resource. We must safeguard our future even though we desire foreign investment. We need to control foreign investment so that we don’t embrace investments that will take away our mineral wealth while impoverishing our people and country,” he added.

A typical nonsense from a deluded and idiotic Nigeria. Which study conducted by silly Nigerians gave rise to the above conclusion on lithium?
When I hear the names of goons who lead anything in Nigeria, it brings sigh to my mouth. Who said every country on earth should follow the craziness proposed by certain goofy Americans and Europeans? Nigerians can still build vehicular engines that run petroleum. Do the self-appointed policemen of the earth stop Africans from using their resources to support their inventive ingenuity? Germans revived the use of goal mechanisms at threat of Russia-Ukraine war. Where is the so-called global warming?

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Aviation Authorities To Demolish 7,000 Telecom Masts / Budget Padding Crisis Beyond APC Now – Chief Whip / $500,000 Bribe: Supreme Court Affirms Farouk Lawan’s Five-year Sentence

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.