Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,125 members, 7,811,167 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 04:41 AM

Please Programmers Here Your Advise Is Needed - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Please Programmers Here Your Advise Is Needed (699 Views)

What Is It With Programmers here? / Please Programmers In The House,what Are The Benefits Of Programming / Most "Programmers" Here Are Not Programmers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Please Programmers Here Your Advise Is Needed by Nobody: 12:09pm On Jan 13, 2023
I have saved 50k and I want to buy a laptop for programming. I am learning HTML/CSS currently from freeCodeCamp. Please with that amount what laptop can I get to learn front end? When I at least get a job/gig with the skills I have learnt I can upgrade later. Please your reply is needed. Thanks.
Re: Please Programmers Here Your Advise Is Needed by yrhuhfy113: 12:29pm On Jan 13, 2023
4gb ram laptop
500gb hdd

That's the kind of laptop you can get.... if you buy from jiji.

I wish you well on your journey
Re: Please Programmers Here Your Advise Is Needed by LikeAking: 12:51pm On Jan 13, 2023
I have saved 50k and I want to buy a laptop for programming. I am learning HTML/CSS currently from freeCodeCamp. Please with that amount what laptop can I get to learn front end? When I at least get a job/gig with the skills I have learnt I can upgrade later. Please your reply is needed. Thanks.

Don't buy anything below core i5, battery must b follow come. Age shud not be less than 5 years from manufacturing date. That money too small... Be patient..

I don't think u will see a good core i5 of 50k.
Re: Please Programmers Here Your Advise Is Needed by truthCoder: 3:09pm On Jan 13, 2023

Raise it to 80k

Buy a Lenovo Thinkpad T540P core i7. Not E or L or ideapad or anything else…Thinkpad T540P

Get it upgraded to SSD and at least 8gb RAM.

Lenovo Thinkpad series come with pro versions of Windows but you can immediately install Ubuntu 22.04 LTS if you want.

Also, ensure the screen is a 1080p screen.

You can get everything within 80k.
Core i7
8gb RAM
256gb SSD

Thats one of the hidden gems of laptops available for cheap.

The only negative is that it doesn’t come with backlight keyboard at that price but with 15k you can upgrade later.

3 Likes

Re: Please Programmers Here Your Advise Is Needed by tensazangetsu20(m): 3:13pm On Jan 13, 2023
truthCoder:

Raise it to 80k

Buy a Lenovo Thinkpad T540P core i7. Not E or L or ideapad or anything else…Thinkpad T540P

Lenovo Thinkpad series come with pro versions of Windows but you can immediately install Ubuntu 22.04 LTS if you want.

Core i7
8gb RAM
256gb SSD

The only negative is that it doesn’t come with backlight keyboard at that price but with 15k you can upgrade later.

Seriously you can get this for 80k. Where abeg. I wanted to help someone get a laptop and even the folio I used to learn to code I didn't see it anywhere for less than 150k. The only Lenovo I saw in the shop was 230k. Had to settle for a HP ProBook with 6th generation corei5 and that was 185k

1 Like

Re: Please Programmers Here Your Advise Is Needed by truthCoder: 3:24pm On Jan 13, 2023
tensazangetsu20:

Seriously you can get this for 80k. Where abeg. I wanted to help someone get a laptop and even the folio I used to learn to code I didn't see it anywhere for less than 150k. The only Lenovo I saw in the shop was 230k. Had to settle for a HP ProBook with 6th generation corei5 and that was 185k

Check jiji.

I got 5 for a friend in November for his new business.

In case you dont get a good one on jiji, you can DM and i would share a plug in Lagos.

Only you though

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Please Programmers Here Your Advise Is Needed by tensazangetsu20(m): 3:25pm On Jan 13, 2023
truthCoder:

Check jiji.

I got 5 for a friend in November for his new business.

In case you dont get a good one on jiji, you can DM and i would share a plug in Lagos.

Only you though

What the hell men. I feel like I was scammed o. Shit
Re: Please Programmers Here Your Advise Is Needed by Sulele04(m): 3:43pm On Jan 13, 2023
truthCoder:

Raise it to 80k

Core i7
8gb RAM
256gb SSD

i7 or ssd which is more relevant for coding.

Let say I am running Visual studio not vs code oo which will run it more smoothly, a laptop with ssd or one with i7.
Re: Please Programmers Here Your Advise Is Needed by truthCoder: 3:50pm On Jan 13, 2023
Sulele04:
i7 or ssd which is more relevant for coding.

Let say I am running Visual studio not vs code oo which will run it more smoothly, a laptop with ssd or one with i7.

SSD.

As long as the CPU is a core i5 or more plus at least a 4th gen or above.

SSD helps a whole lot. Fast boot times, memory swaps, etc
Re: Please Programmers Here Your Advise Is Needed by Sulele04(m): 3:53pm On Jan 13, 2023
truthCoder:

SSD.

As long as the CPU is a core i5 or more plus at least a 4th gen or above.

SSD helps a whole lot. Fast boot times, memory swaps, etc
Oh Interesting thanks, I appreciate.
Re: Please Programmers Here Your Advise Is Needed by thug: 4:03pm On Jan 13, 2023
I get Dell 5280 corei7 16gigRAM 256gigSSD 8th Gen
Price: 220k
Re: Please Programmers Here Your Advise Is Needed by JoyousFurnitire(m): 9:23pm On Jan 13, 2023
truthCoder:

Raise it to 80k

Core i7
8gb RAM
256gb SSD

Not sure about the price you mentioned but that laptop is a solid laptop. A friend is using it (not sure if it's i7 or i5 but it's 8GB RAM) and it doesn't lag
Re: Please Programmers Here Your Advise Is Needed by Jahzrockballer(m): 10:43pm On Jan 13, 2023
Thinkpads are solid and very rugged, no cap
Re: Please Programmers Here Your Advise Is Needed by sanmisamuel: 10:55pm On Jan 13, 2023
My advice to you. If you're just starting. Worry less about the laptop. . Try get a laptop with good back up battery. For your editor, you can use sublime text. Html, css, JavaScript are basic files that don't take much power and space to run. It sometimes annoys me when I read comments like get a core i7, get a this. Get a that.

If you can afford a better laptop. By all means got for an upgrade. They are faster and run smoother. But if it's to practice html, css JavaScript. You will be fine.

Just create your first html file and see.
Re: Please Programmers Here Your Advise Is Needed by sanmisamuel: 10:57pm On Jan 13, 2023
Jahzrockballer:
Thinkpads are solid and very rugged, no cap

ThinkPads are at that price range and are solid for learning. Getting a good battery for them is just work.

Had one hp mini laptop also with 6 cell. Loved it. Don't know why I sold it.

1 Like

Re: Please Programmers Here Your Advise Is Needed by truthCoder: 7:21am On Jan 14, 2023
JoyousFurnitire:

Not sure about the price you mentioned but that laptop is a solid laptop. A friend is using it (not sure if it's i7 or i5 but it's 8GB RAM) and it doesn't lag

I got 5 units at that price and i shared a screenshot of one on jiji.

As with all commodities in a capitalist market, people can sell at whatever price they want but you have more of the x40 series of the ThinkPad hitting the used markets and there is a reason.

The x40 series had a touchpad which many Lenovo ThinkPad enthusiasts do not like. It removed the clickable buttons and made it one solid block, trying to copy the Macbook Pros. They hated that design choice. This is why you have a lot in the used market. The machine itself is solid and once you get past the touchpad (which you can swap out if you like), you are good to go.

The T480 , T580 and X270 are in high demand as they are seen as the 'last' upgradeable 'normal' factor ThinkPad so supply to the used market is low. The X280 lost its upgradability factor but comes with quad-core CPUs (as against dual core on the previous model)

I own an X270 with an upgraded 1080p IPS panel, dual batteries, LTE card and dual boots Ubuntu and Windows 11 and it comes with me everywhere and is sweet in airplanes or back seats of taxis to get some quick work done. My MBP is usually docked.

1 Like

Re: Please Programmers Here Your Advise Is Needed by truthCoder: 7:29am On Jan 14, 2023
sanmisamuel:
My advice to you. If you're just starting. Worry less about the laptop. . Try get a laptop with good back up battery. For your editor, you can use sublime text. Html, css, JavaScript are basic files that don't take much power and space to run. It sometimes annoys me when I read comments like get a core i7, get a this. Get a that.

If you can afford a better laptop. By all means got for an upgrade. They are faster and run smoother. But if it's to practice html, css JavaScript. You will be fine.

Just create your first html file and see.

Apologies if we offended you.

Core i7 and core i5 price differences are minimal when compared to their values. Forget greedy resellers and look for the bulk importers.

Lenovos are business machines and can be gotten relatively cheap if you know how to look. HP and Dell are more expensive because of demand, not quality.

If your laptop cannot run VS Code, then you need a better laptop. This is 2023. Telling people who want to buy a laptop to buy a very low capacity device 'just to start' is unfair. He would be done with HTML in a few weeks. Then what? He starts looking for another Laptop?

If you want to buy a laptop, buy one that will last you for at least a year or more. You cant be learning HTML for one year.
Re: Please Programmers Here Your Advise Is Needed by truthCoder: 7:33am On Jan 14, 2023
sanmisamuel:

ThinkPads are at that price range and are solid for learning. Getting a good battery for them is just work.

Had one hp mini laptop also with 6 cell. Loved it. Don't know why I sold it.

The problem is not the battery but the energy efficiency of the laptop itself. Older laptops have power-consuming CPUs.

You cannot buy a 10 naira watch and expect it to have an alarm.

If you can pull out a 4 hour run from your old and cheap laptop, you have tried. If you want more juice, you gotta pay.

HP mini laptop? What kind of programming do you do with that?
Re: Please Programmers Here Your Advise Is Needed by sanmisamuel: 10:24am On Jan 14, 2023
This laptop would build a normal static website. Reasonable to learn with. At least it was my sidekick during tough times. I didn't have to break the bank or go beyond my means to learn.

Vs code is a great editor. And all but over the years I've come to understand the beauty about programming is the fact that it's for the nobodies. People are now learning even on their phones. Waiting for 80,000 naira laptop or 150,000 naira laptop just makes me laugh.

I got my first laptop an elite book for 10k in installmental payment back in 2016. It changed my life.

I once took a class on credit. Paid halfway through the program. This are decisions I'm grateful for.

It's easy to say the op can go for a better laptop and all that, but we are not in the op's shoe. But I believe we can learn on a budget.

Html, css, JavaScript, python, c. Are just a bunch of files. The editors we use are tools. And if that's the case, there are tools for even a pentium 3. This same laptop every one is complaining about were once used to build crazier things.

But a static website is what you require a bazooka for.

Op. It's a good advice to get a good laptop If you can. If you are working with frameworks you would need better laptops. Not because the older laptops can't do the job. But because they require patience to work with. Their boot time is work. And they would process a lot slower. But if you decide on getting a laptop for the long term. And you arr willing to save a lot more. Go for a MacBook.

Even if you had a 100k budget. Same people would tell you it's not enough get a better one.

You would Hardly get a core i5 for less than 60k. Even the Acer mini with the picture I attached is about 30k currently I think(not so sure) and once used it to edit a couple of things on some website. I might not like because it's slow. But if I had no choice it's a keeper. What am saying is op. Get your foot in. If you're still learning html, css and JavaScript. You would only be working with files.

But which ever way you go. I believe you will be fine. Best of luck

Re: Please Programmers Here Your Advise Is Needed by sanmisamuel: 10:34am On Jan 14, 2023
truthCoder:

Apologies if we offended you.

Core i7 and core i5 price differences are minimal when compared to their values. Forget greedy resellers and look for the bulk importers.

Lenovos are business machines and can be gotten relatively cheap if you know how to look. HP and Dell are more expensive because of demand, not quality.

If your laptop cannot run VS Code, then you need a better laptop. This is 2023. Telling people who want to buy a laptop to buy a very low capacity device 'just to start' is unfair. He would be done with HTML in a few weeks. Then what? He starts looking for another Laptop?

If you want to buy a laptop, buy one that will last you for at least a year or more. You cant be learning HTML for one year.

We all know html and css can be understood even in a day. But a lot more people get stuck on JavaScript for longer period. JavaScript is where you ask yourself if you really want to program.

My first editor was notepad++, before I came across sublime text. Then vs code, tried atom but went back to vscode. Vscode makes work easier no doubt. It's like comparing a car with manual to automatic. Anybody can learn with both manual or automatic. They would be fine. But saying don't learn in beetle because it's manual is how I relate to your advice. If you can afford a Benz. Fine but a beetle also does the job.

And by the way am not offended. I just want more struggling people to get in the field. That's all
Re: Please Programmers Here Your Advise Is Needed by sanmisamuel: 10:48am On Jan 14, 2023
truthCoder:

The problem is not the battery but the energy efficiency of the laptop itself. Older laptops have power-consuming CPUs.

You cannot buy a 10 naira watch and expect it to have an alarm.

If you can pull out a 4 hour run from your old and cheap laptop, you have tried. If you want more juice, you gotta pay.

HP mini laptop? What kind of programming do you do with that?

Help me understand what kind of programming you do. I built a website with that hp mini laptop.

What would you now call people that work with vi editors or enmacs.

Or people can't build website with that as well?
Re: Please Programmers Here Your Advise Is Needed by truthCoder: 11:26am On Jan 14, 2023
sanmisamuel:

Help me understand what kind of programming you do. I built a website with that hp mini laptop.

What would you now call people that work with vi editors or enmacs.

Or people can't build website with that as well?

There is a saying in Yoruba that if we prepare pounded yam on leaves and cook the accompanying stew in a groundnut shell, those who would be satisfied, would be.

1 Like

Re: Please Programmers Here Your Advise Is Needed by silento(m): 11:29am On Jan 14, 2023
Omor
Re: Please Programmers Here Your Advise Is Needed by JoyousFurnitire(m): 11:37am On Jan 14, 2023
truthCoder:

I got 5 units at that price and i shared a screenshot of one on jiji.

As with all commodities in a capitalist market, people can sell at whatever price they want but you have more of the x40 series of the ThinkPad hitting the used markets and there is a reason.

The x40 series had a touchpad which many Lenovo ThinkPad enthusiasts do not like. It removed the clickable buttons and made it one solid block, trying to copy the Macbook Pros. They hated that design choice. This is why you have a lot in the used market. The machine itself is solid and once you get past the touchpad (which you can swap out if you like), you are good to go.

The T480 , T580 and X270 are in high demand as they are seen as the 'last' upgradeable 'normal' factor ThinkPad so supply to the used market is low. The X280 lost its upgradability factor but comes with quad-core CPUs (as against dual core on the previous model)

I own an X270 with an upgraded 1080p IPS panel, dual batteries, LTE card and dual boots Ubuntu and Windows 11 and it comes with me everywhere and is sweet in airplanes or back seats of taxis to get some quick work done. My MBP is usually docked.

Interestingly he told me he got it for like 70k few years back.
Re: Please Programmers Here Your Advise Is Needed by JoyousFurnitire(m): 11:41am On Jan 14, 2023
sanmisamuel:

Op. It's a good advice to get a good laptop If you can. If you are working with frameworks you would need better laptops. Not because the older laptops can't do the job. But because they require patience to work with.

If anyone is recommending laptops of > 80K, it's for this reason you mentioned ^.

Times are changing, you can't even get an internship without knowing a framework + building project(s) with the framework in 2023.

I've seen people talk about installing Linux OS on old/smaller computers OP could read on that.

1 Like

Re: Please Programmers Here Your Advise Is Needed by mayemaye(m): 1:47pm On Jan 14, 2023
tensazangetsu20:

come let me give you i7, 7th gen 16gb 512gb @₦190k

(1) (Reply)

Blogging @it's Best / Cms / My Suggestion On This Forum

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.