Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,998 members, 7,810,776 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 03:13 PM

What Is It With Programmers here? - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / What Is It With Programmers here? (678 Views)

Please Programmers Here Your Advise Is Needed / Need Urgent Help From Kind Hearted Programmers Here Pls / Most "Programmers" Here Are Not Programmers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is It With Programmers here? by LocalStandard1(m): 8:13pm On Oct 18, 2022
Before I decided to dive into programming I visited the programming section and I was repelled. I said to myself I wouldn't come back till I learned programming. You know why?

The programming section is filled with highly insecure and toxic people, very.
You think cos you're "programmers" you're super intelligent? Nope.

You're only doing a job people. Go on YouTube and other platforms and see people boasting of many languages under their belts. I was lambasted the other time cos I dared to say I am learning multiple languages at ones.

A guy, sqlPAIN, made a post with a very valid point which I noticed here even before going into programming and the entire responses were direct insults targeted at him. You know what? He is right, you guys are not programmers, most of you are just developers, website and app devs. While most of the rest are DATA analysts. Period.

For your info, that c++ you guys said was hard is an easy language, but developers using programming frameworks won't know that. I can say to myself I am an intermediate Python, C++ and HTML/CSS programmer in only some months of going into the field. And I not sweating or spending ten hours a day learning.

I know politics section is about ideologies so I understand the savagery there, but what's with you people here? You're supposed to teach the newbies and have intelligent discussions not being so negative.

Get down your high horses cos being a programmer is not the real measure of intelligence (although I admire the critical thinking abilities and the cash it attracts) but make wanna dey calm down here. Haba!!

1 Like

Re: What Is It With Programmers here? by LocalStandard1(m): 8:20pm On Oct 18, 2022
I've learned with White and Asian guys and I would tell you programming is far more than website/app development or data science. Those aren't even five percent of the field, which is all you people talk about here.

That why you've crowded the entire section with "I will build your website/app", to the extent one can't even navigate the section. No be that one be programming O!!
Re: What Is It With Programmers here? by chukwuebuka65(m): 8:48pm On Oct 18, 2022
Greatigboman , food is ready.

The problem is not learning c++. I think its a question of getting c++ jobs here in nigeria. I believe the language i mainly used for building desktop apps like ms word , fl studio( for making music) , desktop browsers, games etc. these softwares require a lot of resources and time ( years ) to build and it appears that not many Nigerian company are into it. And for those of us that will learn it , we will probably end up working for foreign companies like Microsoft and then probably relocate. But I believe there are nigeria developers working with c++.
Re: What Is It With Programmers here? by doggedfighter(f): 8:55pm On Oct 18, 2022
chukwuebuka65:

Isn't he one of the problems in the programming section?

1 Like

Re: What Is It With Programmers here? by niel63(m): 8:56pm On Oct 18, 2022
Let me be honest with you.

You are doing exactly the same thing you're criticising.
Double standard bro!

Mobile app, software dev, website design... and everything you mentioned are programming bro. Don't do that which you intend to do. It won't take you far. Hate no one, Hate no process, Hate no critics.

You never dey work with oyinbo or projects wey go take you months to deliver... then you will understand a bit more of the journey. Being self thought is hard.

No go dey pop ur chest say you be intermediate anything. At the end, it's all about what you love and what makes you money.

Don't be bitter about this. Dem all be programming inugo?

You'll do fine I'm sure. Just try to dey ignore critics and no take anyone to mind. We all move at different pace.

Peace.

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Is It With Programmers here? by chucks185: 8:58pm On Oct 18, 2022
LocalStandard1:
Before I decided to dive into programming I visited the programming section and I was repelled. I said to myself I wouldn't come back till I learned programming. You know why?

You're only doing a job people. Go on YouTube and other platforms and see people boasting of many languages under their belts. I was lambasted the other time cos I dared to say I am learning multiple languages at ones.

A guy, sqlPAIN, made a post with a very valid point which I noticed here even before going into programming and the entire responses were direct insults targeted at him. You know what? He is right, you guys are not programmers, most of you are just developers, website and app devs. While most of the rest are DATA analysts. Period.

For your info, that c++ you guys said was hard is an easy language, but developers using programming frameworks won't know that. I can say to myself I am an intermediate Python, C++ and HTML/CSS programmer in only some months of going into the field. And I not sweating or spending ten hours a day learning.

I know politics section is about ideologies so I understand the savagery there, but what's with you people here? You're supposed to teach the newbies and have intelligent discussions not being so negative.

Get down your high horses cos being a programmer is not the real measure of intelligence (although I admire the critical thinking abilities and the cash it attracts) but make wanna dey calm down here. Haba!!
don't mind them, they want to make it seem programming is near impossible skill to learn. so the field won't be over saturated. i don't blame them somehow though

1 Like

Re: What Is It With Programmers here? by niel63(m): 9:04pm On Oct 18, 2022
niel63:

Double standard bro!

Mobile app, software dev, website design... and everything you mentioned are programming bro. Don't do that which you intend to do. It won't take you far. Hate no one, Hate no process, Hate no critics.

You never dey work with oyinbo or projects wey go take you months to deliver... then you will understand a bit more of the journey. Being self thought is hard.

No go dey pop ur chest say you be intermediate anything. At the end, it's all about what you love and what makes you money.

Don't be bitter about this. Dem all be programming inugo?

You'll do fine I'm sure. Just try to dey ignore critics and no take anyone to mind. We all move at different pace.

Peace.

Below is a screenshot of a caption on my portfolio website.

https://daniel-dozie.dev

So, develop your passion if you have it.

Re: What Is It With Programmers here? by LocalStandard1(m): 9:08pm On Oct 18, 2022
niel63:

Double standard bro!

Peace.
I don't mean to out you down bro, sorry. The thing is the programmers here are something else. They insulted a guy here for relaying his observations, which are true. Instead of welcoming they have become very harsh and repulsive. Someone needs to point these out here.

They are making money and seem more intelligent than average, then what is the cause of the negativity here?

1 Like

Re: What Is It With Programmers here? by Nobody: 9:10pm On Oct 18, 2022
doggedfighter:

Why do u think I'm the problem?

My comments although sometimes mean are more beneficial than yours

3 Likes

Re: What Is It With Programmers here? by LocalStandard1(m): 9:15pm On Oct 18, 2022
Re: What Is It With Programmers here? by LocalStandard1(m): 9:15pm On Oct 18, 2022
chucks185:

don't mind them, they want to make it seem programming is near impossible skill to learn. so the field won't be over saturated. i don't blame them somehow though
Programming is not like oil or real estate. The field is intangible. I think with more people coming into it more idea and creativity is discovered which will lead to more companies and start-ups thereby creating more jobs.

Besides I think everyone should learn a programming language or two cos it might become a criteria just like being a computer literate soon. Especially R and SQL for data management

2 Likes

Re: What Is It With Programmers here? by chucks185: 9:21pm On Oct 18, 2022
LocalStandard1:

Programming is not like oil or real estate. The field is intangible. I think with more people coming into it more idea and creativity is discovered which will lead to more companies and start-ups thereby creating more jobs.

Besides I think everyone should learn a programming language or two cos it might become a criteria just like being a computer literate soon. Especially R and SQL for data management
i agree with you to a large extent.

2 Likes

Re: What Is It With Programmers here? by niel63(m): 9:21pm On Oct 18, 2022
LocalStandard1:

I don't mean to out you down bro, sorry. The thing is the programmers here are something else. They insulted a guy here for relaying his observations, which are true. Instead of welcoming they have become very harsh and repulsive. Someone needs to point these out here.

They are making money and seem more intelligent than average, then what is the cause of the negativity here?

I understand you brotherly.

The IT space is beyond just programming... writing scripts or setting up servers. Why do you think most companies usually do this test for character and behaviour... plenty people are savage in nature. Whilst we need to caution them, we should equally not behave like them in the process.

E get people wey dey here wey know plenty things but you won't here them talk plenty. Na so e be.

To each, its own.

1 Like

Re: What Is It With Programmers here? by chukwuebuka65(m): 9:23pm On Oct 18, 2022
LocalStandard1:

Concerning the guy that made a post about c++, I believe the cause for all the arguments was his choice of words , “real programmer”.
Does it mean if you are not writing c++, then you are a fake programmer? What’s hard about the c++ in first place? We don’t have a lot of the developers because there not a lot of jobs for it .
Lets say , about a million vacancies for c++ jobs pops up on job sites by tomorrow morning and those jobs pay one 1M naira per hour, believe me , in just a month , you will not be able to count the number of c++ devs in nigeria.
Re: What Is It With Programmers here? by Nobody: 9:23pm On Oct 18, 2022
You guys like creating threads without thinking it through.

That guy didn't come to look for C++ programmers

He came here seeking for self gratifications because he thinks he's a big deal just because he's learning C++ ( I won't even say he knows C++)

Why would he say they're no "Real programmers in this section"
Because he hasn't seen anyone making post about C++?

That's an insult to those who spent sleepless nights, months and years learning the programming language they're interested in .

All the negative replies he got were well deserved.

If u ever want me to see you as a better programmer.

I'll have to see what you've built with your tool, your contribution to any public repository or how good you are with solving algorithm problems.

Only argument he could make was, C++ programmers have much more programming disciplines to some other programmers.

And also... they're good guys in this section who are always willing to help.

I have personally observed you can't post a question or a problem you're having in this section without getting a positive reply from someone willing to help you.... if you think otherwise.

I dare you to post any question a newbie asked here without that newbie getting a positive reply.

sad

6 Likes

Re: What Is It With Programmers here? by Nobody: 9:30pm On Oct 18, 2022
chukwuebuka65:

Concerning the guy that made a post about c++, I believe the cause for all the arguments was his choice of words “real programmer”. Does it mean if you are not writing c++, then you are a fake programmer? What’s hard about the c++ in first place? We don’t have a lot of the developers because there not a lot of jobs for it . Lets say , about a million vacancies for c++ jobs pops up on job sites by tomorrow morning and those jobs pay one 1M naira per hour, believe me , in just a month , you not be able to count the number of c++ devs in nigeria.

Well said.

There's no how people who actually spend sleepless night trying to fix a bug or follow a 50 hours tutorial online won't feel insulted by his choice of words.

Dude doesn't know once u learn how programming logic works, the only thing you'd need to be familiar with in a new language is How the syntax works, and the typing rules in that language

3 Likes

Re: What Is It With Programmers here? by LocalStandard1(m): 9:38pm On Oct 18, 2022
chukwuebuka65:

Concerning the guy that made a post about c++, I believe the cause for all the arguments was his choice of words , “real programmer”.
Does it mean if you are not writing c++, then you are a fake programmer? What’s hard about the c++ in first place? We don’t have a lot of the developers because there not a lot of jobs for it .
Lets say , about a million vacancies for c++ jobs pops up on job sites by tomorrow morning and those jobs pay one 1M naira per hour, believe me , in just a month , you will not be able to count the number of c++ devs in nigeria.
C++ is not really that hard. Or maybe it's cos I started with Python and learning them together now makes it easier. Buy the jobs part is true.
Re: What Is It With Programmers here? by LocalStandard1(m): 9:42pm On Oct 18, 2022
GREATIGBOMAN:
You guys like creating threads without thinking it through.

That guy didn't come to look for C++ programmers

He came here seeking for self gratifications because he thinks he's a big deal just because he's learning C++ ( I won't even say he knows C++)

Why would he say they're no "Real programmers in this section"
Because he hasn't seen anyone making post about C++?

That's an insult to those who spent sleepless nights, months and years learning the programming language they're interested in .
All the negative replies he got were well deserved.
If u ever want me to see you as a better programmer.
I'll have to see what you've built with your tool, your contribution to any public repository or how good you are with solving algorithm problems.

sad
I personally don't find his comment offensive at all. Maybe it's cos I am active in politics section where that statement can be considered an opening remark.
Re: What Is It With Programmers here? by Nobody: 9:44pm On Oct 18, 2022
LocalStandard1:

I personally don't find his comment offensive at all. Maybe it's cos I am active in politics section where that statement is be considered an opening remark.

Those who don't take their jobs or current language/tool serious may not find it offensive.

Majority of those who put in effort to be better programmers each day will.

This is his post below and what I myself personally found demeaning.

I barely see any real programmers on this section. majority of the people who call themselves programmers on this section are mostly mere web developers or data analysts. I barely see peeps talk about low level programming languages, or even talk about any other field in tech apart from web development.

3 Likes

Re: What Is It With Programmers here? by AgentGoat: 9:47pm On Oct 18, 2022
doggedfighter:

Yea. The mf is.
Re: What Is It With Programmers here? by LocalStandard1(m): 9:50pm On Oct 18, 2022
GREATIGBOMAN:

Those who don't take their jobs or current language/tool serious may not find it offensive.
Majority of those who put in effort to be better programmers each day will
Nope. Baba you too hot, calm down. Are you doing it cos you love what you do or you're forced and are doing it for war? Flow like water my man.

2 Likes

Re: What Is It With Programmers here? by Nobody: 9:50pm On Oct 18, 2022
AgentGoat:

Yea. The mf is.

Unfortunately there's nothing u can do about me. How do u feel about that?
Re: What Is It With Programmers here? by Nobody: 9:51pm On Oct 18, 2022
LocalStandard1:

Nope. Baba you too hot, calm down. Are you doing it cos you love what you do or you're forced and are doing it for war? Flow like water my man.

Go and reread his post slowly.
Re: What Is It With Programmers here? by dEv400: 11:46pm On Oct 18, 2022
SMH
LocalStandard1:

Re: What Is It With Programmers here? by Sapeleboy911(m): 1:33am On Oct 19, 2022
Yes the programming section and nairaland in general is toxic. But to be honest that guy's post was rude and demeaning. How can you come to a programming section and call other programmers who are not using the same language as your mere programmers or mere web developers? To each his own some find joy in high-level languages others in low-level. At the end of the day, you all will work together to build amazing tools that will change the world. No need to form Dennis Ritchie. There are better ways of asking questions. Can you go to Reddit and ask such degrading questions without receiving backlash?
Re: What Is It With Programmers here? by LikeAking: 10:09am On Oct 19, 2022
LocalStandard1:

Guy, just take good advice move on.

Learn one lang and b good with it . .

As for the toxic guys, just ignore Dem, every wia is toxic.
Re: What Is It With Programmers here? by Fourpockets: 11:49am On Oct 19, 2022
chukwuebuka65:

The problem is not learning c++. I think its a question of getting c++ jobs here in nigeria. I believe the language i mainly used for building desktop apps like ms word , fl studio( for making music) , desktop browsers, games etc. these softwares require a lot of resources and time ( years ) to build and it appears that not many Nigerian company are into it. And for those of us that will learn it , we will probably end up working for foreign companies like Microsoft and then probably relocate. But I believe there are nigeria developers working with c++.
You want greatigboman to do his usual trolling here. ?
Insecure comment
Re: What Is It With Programmers here? by Nobody: 12:09pm On Oct 19, 2022
Fourpockets:

You want greatigboman to do his usual trolling here. ?
Insecure comment

Go and defend yourself sir.

They are already calling you scam in one of your threads.

You're one of those inferior mediocre Web devs they're complaining about in this section.

You don't even have a proper portfolio and you're already creating spammy threads seeking for jobs.

What exactly will you be building for your clients when u haven't hosted even a single page website on a paid host before.

I doubt if you even know the meaning of SSL or SEO.

The only project you have to show was even copy pasted code by code online and have been built by over 1000000 people who use frontendmentor

https://space-vacation-website.netlify.app/destinations

Do yourself a favour and never mention me in your life again

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Job Opportunities. / Build Your Future Now! / Can't Find Error

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.