Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,755 members, 7,809,898 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:49 PM

2023: Elections, Demolitions, Others To Be Expected In FCT - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 2023: Elections, Demolitions, Others To Be Expected In FCT (216 Views)

Demolitions: Don’t Cry Over Split Milk, Ohanaeze President Tells Igbos In Lagos / ‘Buildings Will Go Down’ — Wike Assumes Office, Vows More Demolitions / Lagos Building Demolitions Not Targeted At Igbo – Ohanaeze (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

2023: Elections, Demolitions, Others To Be Expected In FCT by Shehuyinka: 11:40pm On Jan 13, 2023
In Nigeria’s Federal Capital Territory (FCT) as with other parts of the country, the new year will be characterised by political activities due to the general elections to start from February 25, 2023. But beyond political issues, certain other factors are bound to shape the year for residents.

WITH the general elections less than two months away, Nigerians living in the FCT, eager to participate in the voting process, have been trooping in and out of designated collection centres to obtain their permanent voter cards (PVCs).

Residents, mostly youths, can be spotted in clusters at the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) collection centres, wanting to obtain their cards.

Across Nigeria, young people make up over 71 per cent of the nine million new registrants recorded by the INEC. This is reflected in the large number of youths found at PVC collection centres within the FCT, where over 183,000 valid registrations were completed.

A resident of the Jabi area of the city, Amaka Okoye, recounted, in an interview with The ICIR, her experience at the collection centre.

“It did not take me too much trouble to get my PVC, although I think adequate information was not given concerning collection centres. I had to visit the INEC office in Karu first, before I was redirected to the one in Area 10. But once I got there, getting the card was not too difficult, just that the place was crowded,” Amaka said.

As the January 22 deadline for the distribution of PVCs draws closer, crowds at INEC collection centres have continued to increase, making the process more cumbersome for other registrants.

While this may suggest a massive turn-out of voters during the elections, some residents have experienced difficulty with the process as their cards were unavailable at the time of collection.

Another resident of the FCT, Abosede Korede, confirmed that she had attempted to get her PVC from the INEC office on two occasions without success.

“I went to the INEC office at Area 10 to collect my PVC, but they told me my card was not available. I don’t know why they couldn’t find it. They just asked me to write my name and phone number in a paper and check back in two weeks,” Abosede said.

She expressed concern over a possible disenfranchisement ahead of the forthcoming elections.

Beyond the PVC card challenge, other residents have also expressed concern over likely cases of violence during the election. This fear stems from cases of the insecurity recorded within the FCT in 2022.

READ MORE HERE: https://www.icirnigeria.org/2023-elections-demolitions-others-to-be-expected-in-fct/

Re: 2023: Elections, Demolitions, Others To Be Expected In FCT by Urheadmaster(m): 11:45pm On Jan 13, 2023
Make them no forget to demolish the tall gate
Re: 2023: Elections, Demolitions, Others To Be Expected In FCT by Abfinest007(m): 12:42am On Jan 14, 2023
Play any trick.what has been written .has been written.obi is ur president

(1) (Reply)

Stopping The Political Cabals - By Dr. Haruna Bako Goroh / People Should Stop Campaigning For Tinubu And Atiku / News Review: Explosion Rocks APC Campaign In Port Harcourt

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.