Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,713 members, 7,831,242 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 04:01 PM

90% Of UNIMAID Students Can't Afford New Fees-NANS - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 90% Of UNIMAID Students Can't Afford New Fees-NANS (11707 Views)

UNIMAID Lecturer, Dr Abdulkadir Murdered On Campus / UNIMAID Students Protest Fees Hike(pictures) / Prof Aliyu Shugaba Has Been Named New VC Of UNIMAID (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 90% Of UNIMAID Students Can't Afford New Fees-NANS by Deicide: 9:18am On Jan 16, 2023
habsydiamond:
Most of these student's parents are civil servants with stipends coming in as salaries. How do you expect then to pay such exorbitant amount of money.
And Borno for that matter?
Re: 90% Of UNIMAID Students Can't Afford New Fees-NANS by theophorus(m): 9:21am On Jan 16, 2023
Close the School down, if it has no students
Re: 90% Of UNIMAID Students Can't Afford New Fees-NANS by Op80: 9:21am On Jan 16, 2023
They should shout sai baba 3times and the fees will be affordable. Shebi they said reminiscing how Igbos killed ahmadu Bello will give them money and money.they should to the mountain top and shout Igbos are our enemies and the money will come. Make I go cook ofe nsala shop. got nothing to do with finished people

2 Likes

Re: 90% Of UNIMAID Students Can't Afford New Fees-NANS by SIONKPO1(m): 9:26am On Jan 16, 2023
datola:
I hear you!

They cannot afford N200,000 for university education but some of them can afford to pay more than that for private primary school education.

Most of them can also afford phones of N300k.

You want University education free and you still want high standard

Running university is not cheap. Somebody must pay for it, either students or the irresponsible Nigerian government at all levels.

This your comment is bad
Re: 90% Of UNIMAID Students Can't Afford New Fees-NANS by OGHENAOGIE(m): 9:29am On Jan 16, 2023
Brendaniel:
When I saw people blaming ASUU for the strike, I just shook my head, a lot of you do not know that the Police today Nigerians are complaining about are actually under the payroll of Nigerians, the extortion, harrasement and illegal arrests, bribery and so on all boils down to money collected from the citizens, you think it is their meagre salaries that sustains them.

When the government does not pay them well the citizens will, directly or indirectly
the fees isn't much given realities of situation now... Education isn't cheap... The only aspect of education that government should fund free is primary and secondary education... Finish... With a good high school education one can Live a decent lifelihood... Except we just want to deceive ourselves... Private university charges like over one million so...

2 Likes

Re: 90% Of UNIMAID Students Can't Afford New Fees-NANS by tonyashburton: 9:35am On Jan 16, 2023
Nigerian students want cheap education and at the same time want jobs that will pay them millions after graduating.
₦250,000 per annum is too much to pay to study Medicine but is not too much to buy a Samsung Galaxy phone to impress your peers with.l or spend on designer clothes.

2 Likes

Re: 90% Of UNIMAID Students Can't Afford New Fees-NANS by galaxy2020(m): 9:42am On Jan 16, 2023
Performing Governor indeed, is this how to encourage a region that is backward in education?
Re: 90% Of UNIMAID Students Can't Afford New Fees-NANS by tonyashburton: 9:42am On Jan 16, 2023
The majority of these students went to private primary and secondary schools where they paid similar or higher fees but because our mindset is that government services must alway be subsidized,we wail about being charged ₦250,000 to read Medicine.
After paying peanuts the newly inducted doctors will still japa to foreign countries because of higher pay and better work environment.
Pay the new school fees.Una no go die.God will provide.

2 Likes

Re: 90% Of UNIMAID Students Can't Afford New Fees-NANS by MoneyMustBMade(m): 9:47am On Jan 16, 2023
Poverty rate is very high in the North yet they have the power and government
Re: 90% Of UNIMAID Students Can't Afford New Fees-NANS by Judolisco(m): 10:04am On Jan 16, 2023
naijainstinct:
Things have really changed. I recall when I gained admission into UNIMAID in 2005. My first fees as a fresher was N15,000. In subsequent years, I paid between 8,000 and 12,000 except for final year in 2008 when I paid N18,000 because of added field trip fee and an extra 5000 for late registration.

Where are we heading in this country? Tuition fees have risen over 1000%, yet, salary has not risen beyond 200%
dats wat d federal government wants... ASUU is now tired they will only fight for their benefits like salary and allowances jst like NMA...u won't hear medical doctors fight over infrastructure or equipments or high prices of drugs... nothing concern dem... ASUU won't say pim again... Make students and parents fight for themselves

2 Likes

Re: 90% Of UNIMAID Students Can't Afford New Fees-NANS by hush15: 10:24am On Jan 16, 2023
habsydiamond:
Most of these student's parents are civil servants with stipends coming in as salaries. How do you expect then to pay such exorbitant amount of money.

We can see citizens are pure hypocrites. Citizens are the bane of of their progress as a country. When the lecturers went on strike to make legitimate demands, there was no end to the insults hurled upon them from being callous and wicked to insensitive to student plight. They went back to classroom eventually after so much criticism using the arms of government.

Since they are being forced to return back to work, the decided to increase fees to make unis more sustainable, yet students are complaining again. We can't eat our cake and still have it.

When they were protesting against government through the strike, I post severally that students need to exercise patience and support their lecturers cos happy teachers make happy students. Everything in Nigeria today is off the roof and you can't expect them to be lecturing you guys at their own expense and demise.

Citizens lack of honesty in a country like this makes hope bleak. Government won't stick to agreements, students won't pay projected fees and we want Nigeria to be great again, make una just dey play ehn.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 90% Of UNIMAID Students Can't Afford New Fees-NANS by hush15: 10:33am On Jan 16, 2023
sulaak:

Then they should find a trade and not attend university. Nigeria requires more artisans than university graduates

Funny enough, I concur

1 Like

Re: 90% Of UNIMAID Students Can't Afford New Fees-NANS by EMPEROROFDONBAS(m): 10:38am On Jan 16, 2023
U WILL NEVER HEWR ANYONE MENTION SHETTIMA HERE, BUT MAKE E BE ANAMBRA STATE DEM MENTION HERE...

1 Like

Re: 90% Of UNIMAID Students Can't Afford New Fees-NANS by PJ123: 10:49am On Jan 16, 2023
OGHENAOGIE:
the fees isn't much given realities of situation now... Education isn't cheap... The only aspect of education that government should fund free is primary and secondary education... Finish... With a good high school education one can Live a decent lifelihood... Except we just want to deceive ourselves... Private university charges like over one million so...

God bless you!!! Vocational and technical education are what we need in Nigeria
Re: 90% Of UNIMAID Students Can't Afford New Fees-NANS by Nobody: 10:49am On Jan 16, 2023
Well, if the students don't want to pay the fees, that is fine by me, and everyone else. They should not be punished for being poor.

However, they should not complain about bad facilites, bad equipment, and bad libraries, and bad hostels. The fees they pay are not sufficent enough to make things good like universites in sane countries.

Universites in sane countries are good because fees are sky high (and students take loans to pay them back...) or people pay taxes (half their income in some countries like Denmark) to get good and decent universites.

We all get what we pay for. But I doubt that any university can be world class on an income of between 30-60 million dollars a year.

1 Like

Re: 90% Of UNIMAID Students Can't Afford New Fees-NANS by habsydiamond(m): 11:01am On Jan 16, 2023
sulaak:

Then they should find a trade and not attend university. Nigeria requires more artisans than university graduates
even upon the university certificate with no jobs...
Re: 90% Of UNIMAID Students Can't Afford New Fees-NANS by hmohammed(m): 11:01am On Jan 16, 2023
SIONKPO1:

This your comment is bad

The comment is appropriate.

1 Like

Re: 90% Of UNIMAID Students Can't Afford New Fees-NANS by CodeTemplar: 11:03am On Jan 16, 2023
naijainstinct:
Things have really changed. I recall when I gained admission into UNIMAID in 2005. My first fees as a fresher was N15,000. In subsequent years, I paid between 8,000 and 12,000 except for final year in 2008 when I paid N18,000 because of added field trip fee and an extra 5000 for late registration.

Where are we heading in this country? Tuition fees have risen over 1000%, yet, salary has not risen beyond 200%
The FG has limited money and cannot keep subsidizing universities like UniMAID. The days of comfortably distributing oil sale proceeds to fund unproductive venture are over. If the students pay for the education, there will be a sense of purpose around how the schools are run from choices of programs offered, to how students conduct themselves during and after their time in the school.

1 Like

Re: 90% Of UNIMAID Students Can't Afford New Fees-NANS by CodeTemplar: 11:07am On Jan 16, 2023
Kobonaire2023:
Well, if the students don't want to pay the fees, that is fine by me, and everyone else. They should not be punished for being poor.

However, they should not complain about bad facilites, bad equipment, and bad libraries, and bad hostels. The fees they pay are not sufficent enough to make things good like universites in sane countries.

Universites in sane countries are good because fees are sky high (and students take loans to pay them back...) or people pay taxes (half their income in some countries like Denmark) to get good and decent universites.

We all get what we pay for. But I doubt that any university can be world class on an income of between 30-60 million dollars a year.

Lol.

Have you dropped your support for evil subsidy removal?
These are some of the other wasteful and unevenly distributed subsidies the govt wants to maintain with petrol subsidy withdrawal funds.

1 Like

Re: 90% Of UNIMAID Students Can't Afford New Fees-NANS by Jokerman(m): 11:07am On Jan 16, 2023
Poppia:
I'm an orphan and i sponsor myself. I normally pay 33k now they are asking me to pay 125k. Where do I get such amount? More worrisome that I got 2 more sessions to go.

Student loans. And if you are very brilliant, part or full scholarship
Re: 90% Of UNIMAID Students Can't Afford New Fees-NANS by Jokerman(m): 11:08am On Jan 16, 2023
Government should introduce student loans in conjuction with private lenders or banks.

And for extremely brilliant students, part or full scholarship

1 Like

Re: 90% Of UNIMAID Students Can't Afford New Fees-NANS by Brendaniel: 11:11am On Jan 16, 2023
OGHENAOGIE:

Let the government make the economy good and make provisions for educational support programs as it is done abroad before backing out...
Re: 90% Of UNIMAID Students Can't Afford New Fees-NANS by alimiadedayo1: 11:12am On Jan 16, 2023
Brendaniel:
When I saw people blaming ASUU for the strike, I just shook my head, a lot of you do not know that the Police today Nigerians are complaining about are actually under the payroll of Nigerians, the extortion, harrasement and illegal arrests, bribery and so on all boils down to money collected from the citizens, you think it is their meagre salaries that sustains them.

When the government does not pay them well the citizens will, directly or indirectly
God bless you, I have said let ASUU stop fighting government for students sake.. what the government wants is for them to increase the school fees in order to take care of ASUU welfare because they don't want to take full responsibility for it.. by the time all federal university school fees reach like 250k many of the useless students supporting government against ASUU their brain will reset back to normal

1 Like

Re: 90% Of UNIMAID Students Can't Afford New Fees-NANS by CodeTemplar: 11:13am On Jan 16, 2023
Poppia:
I'm an orphan and i sponsor myself. I normally pay 33k now they are asking me to pay 125k. Where do I get such amount? More worrisome that I got 2 more sessions to go.
What you do not realize is FG was putting down hundreds of thousand on your behalf while you were still paying 33k. As things are now, there is inflation and govt is almost broke going by what comes in versus what is used to service debts on ground. That leaves any FG owned institution with the option of sourcing for funds internally, and who else should they bill if not the main beneficiary of the system.

1 Like

Re: 90% Of UNIMAID Students Can't Afford New Fees-NANS by CodeTemplar: 11:18am On Jan 16, 2023
alimiadedayo1:

God bless you, I have said let ASUU stop fighting government for students sake.. what the government wants is for them to increase the school fees in order to take care of ASUU welfare because they don't want to take full responsibility for it.. by the time all federal university school fees reach like 250k many of the useless students supporting government against ASUU their brain will reset back to normal
govt is broke and can no longer do the hidden father Christmas show whereby they subsidies education unconditionally. ASUU or no ASUU, the available money to cater for emerging needs are limited.

1 Like

Re: 90% Of UNIMAID Students Can't Afford New Fees-NANS by alimiadedayo1: 11:25am On Jan 16, 2023
CodeTemplar:
govt is broke and can no longer do the hidden father Christmas show whereby they subsidies education unconditionally. ASUU or no ASUU, the available money to cater for emerging needs are limited.
which government is broke? pls are you okay? are you the CBN governor or accountant general of the federation.. pls don't come into box again.. you are such a disgrace to the youth.. government is broke and billions of dollars are wasting ever day

1 Like

Re: 90% Of UNIMAID Students Can't Afford New Fees-NANS by Ray02: 11:37am On Jan 16, 2023
sulaak:

Lol. Like the all artisans we have already are doing great, enjoying government intervention. Na why most of them dey leave their job to do Okada or ride Marwa.

Ypu can't force people to do something, everything is not by force. Na so you want force people go farm.

1 Like

Re: 90% Of UNIMAID Students Can't Afford New Fees-NANS by tuzle(m): 11:40am On Jan 16, 2023
datola:
I hear you!

They cannot afford N200,000 for university education but some of them can afford to pay more than that for private primary school education.

Most of them can also afford phones of N300k.

You want University education free and you still want high standard

Running university is not cheap. Somebody must pay for it, either students or the irresponsible Nigerian government at all levels.

some of u will just talk. Is it everybody that is using phone above 300k? If u don't know more than half of the population of Nigeria that goes to private school go to schools that are low in standard. Schools that charge less than 40k and most of them still owe school fees. Don't just sit down in your house and assume things. Those using phones of 300k above and can't pay for school fees are those that didn't hustle legitimately to get the phone or those that don't have sense(people that worked for months just to save up and buy an iphone with all the money)

1 Like

Re: 90% Of UNIMAID Students Can't Afford New Fees-NANS by tuzle(m): 11:41am On Jan 16, 2023
Jokerman:

Student loans. And if you are very brilliant, part or full scholarship
which country do they give student loan? Is it Nigeria
Re: 90% Of UNIMAID Students Can't Afford New Fees-NANS by Ray02: 11:42am On Jan 16, 2023
Brendaniel:

Let the government make the economy good and make provisions for educational support programs as it is done abroad before backing out...
These people are just something else, government will just copy a policy from the middle, and they would troop out to defend the nonsense. Na wa o
Re: 90% Of UNIMAID Students Can't Afford New Fees-NANS by tuzle(m): 11:44am On Jan 16, 2023
sulaak:

if our country wasn't so focused on certificate in order to get good paying job then ur idea wouldn't have been so bad. Even the artisants today, not all of them are doing fine because the market is too saturated.
Re: 90% Of UNIMAID Students Can't Afford New Fees-NANS by CodeTemplar: 11:50am On Jan 16, 2023
alimiadedayo1:
which government is broke? pls are you okay? are you the CBN governor or accountant general of the federation.. pls don't come into box again.. you are such a disgrace to the youth.. government is broke and billions of dollars are wasting ever day
govt is indeed broke. Look at debt repayment to income ratio. They have borrowed and want to borrow more. That's should tell you something. I admit there are leakages and wastages but the govt is broke and that's the fact.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

We Will Go After Holders Of Certificates From Degree Mills – Education Minister / Nigerian Wins Best Artificial Intelligence Research Award In Singapore / The Problem Of Admission In Nigerian Institutions

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.