Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,620 members, 7,813,043 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 05:36 AM

90% Of UNIMAID Students Can't Afford New Fees-NANS - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 90% Of UNIMAID Students Can't Afford New Fees-NANS (11674 Views)

UNIMAID Lecturer, Dr Abdulkadir Murdered On Campus / UNIMAID Students Protest Fees Hike(pictures) / Prof Aliyu Shugaba Has Been Named New VC Of UNIMAID (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 90% Of UNIMAID Students Can't Afford New Fees-NANS by CodeTemplar: 11:53am On Jan 16, 2023
sulaak:

Then they should find a trade and not attend university. Nigeria requires more artisans than university graduates
the issue is beyond the skillset or level. It is all about low production and dependency on resources sharing instead of production.
Re: 90% Of UNIMAID Students Can't Afford New Fees-NANS by obagofizzy(m): 11:58am On Jan 16, 2023
Not only them , have seen others schools like UNN
Re: 90% Of UNIMAID Students Can't Afford New Fees-NANS by kafeii123: 12:09pm On Jan 16, 2023
SIONKPO1:

This your comment is bad

There's actually nothing bad about it....most of them use the latest iphones....and laptops... school fees shouldn't be unaffordable for them

1 Like

Re: 90% Of UNIMAID Students Can't Afford New Fees-NANS by omonnakoda: 12:30pm On Jan 16, 2023
naijainstinct:
Things have really changed. I recall when I gained admission into UNIMAID in 2005. My first fees as a fresher was N15,000. In subsequent years, I paid between 8,000 and 12,000 except for final year in 2008 when I paid N18,000 because of added field trip fee and an extra 5000 for late registration.

Where are we heading in this country? Tuition fees have risen over 1000%, yet, salary has not risen beyond 200%
You went to university but did not learn how to ask questions or to think?
Where is he money to subsidise education going to come from?
Government is in trillions of debt yet subsidising petrol ,diesel and basically free university education
Nigeria has nearly 2 million undergraduates in total.
Where we are heading is a realisation that we must be productive as individuals , pay our way and stop looking for freebies
Those people Learning trades e.g. Mechanics,tailors,electricians,plumbers do not get help from government so why pamper undergraduates?

2 Likes

Re: 90% Of UNIMAID Students Can't Afford New Fees-NANS by Nobody: 12:40pm On Jan 16, 2023
CodeTemplar:

Lol.

Have you dropped your support for evil subsidy removal?
These are some of the other wasteful and unevenly distributed subsidies the govt wants to maintain with petrol subsidy withdrawal funds.

Well, people get what they pay for, plus I cannot be paying for petrol at World Bank HQ.....
Re: 90% Of UNIMAID Students Can't Afford New Fees-NANS by Nobody: 12:47pm On Jan 16, 2023
CodeTemplar:
govt is indeed broke. Look at debt repayment to income ratio. They have borrowed and want to borrow more. That's should tell you something. I admit there are leakages and wastages but the govt is broke and that's the fact.

So since government is broke by your assertion, why do you want them to keep paying subsides?

You want debt to increase, ko?

Don't quote me to mock me again. Thanks. You have just proved my point....and I will add that government got into the brokeness by their refusal to remove subsides and improve tax to gdp ratios, as well as bad leadership.

There is no such thing as free lunch.
Re: 90% Of UNIMAID Students Can't Afford New Fees-NANS by Nobody: 12:49pm On Jan 16, 2023
kafeii123:

There's actually nothing bad about it....most of them use the latest iphones....and laptops... school fees shouldn't be unaffordable for them

Many students use affordable android phones..which are as good as iphones. Like Tecno, and even itel.

Personally, while I can afford an I phone, I prefer to use android phones...because they do the same thing essentially.
Re: 90% Of UNIMAID Students Can't Afford New Fees-NANS by kafeii123: 1:05pm On Jan 16, 2023
Kobonaire2023:

Many students use affordable android phones..which are as good as iphones. Like Tecno, and even itel.

Personally, while I can afford an I phone, I prefer to use android phones...because they do the same thing essentially.
We're saying the same thing. The school has to pay for services and generate revenue somehow, if it cannot get that from the government, then it either shuts down or begins to charge students for some of those expenditure. These were some of the reasons ASUU bore an entire eight months without salaries but rather than be appreciated for that stand even the students who would also be direct beneficiaries of improved services were mocking and insulting ASUU then. One would even think that all of them would have transferred themselves to private universities or travelled abroad by the time schools resumed but no, they're still overpopulating lecture halls and trudging to school from all around.

The worst kinds of people to take sides with are politicians. if you think politicians ever do anything that is purely for the citizens and doesnt benefit they themselves, you need to think again.

Now most of them will have to drop out of school, thereby putting a ceiling to their future achievements one way or the other. Polytechnics will also soon be cancelled.... thats when they will know what these politicians really have in store for them.
Re: 90% Of UNIMAID Students Can't Afford New Fees-NANS by SIONKPO1(m): 1:13pm On Jan 16, 2023
kafeii123:

What is the percentage of those using Sophisticated phones?
Some students might have money but believe .me many don't have Garri to soak at home

1 Like

Re: 90% Of UNIMAID Students Can't Afford New Fees-NANS by SIONKPO1(m): 1:14pm On Jan 16, 2023
hmohammed:

The comment is appropriate.
200% increment is quite high,50-75% would have been ideal.
Rent,food,Tfare etc has increase but Salaries remain the same
Re: 90% Of UNIMAID Students Can't Afford New Fees-NANS by kafeii123: 1:19pm On Jan 16, 2023
omonnakoda:
Government is in trillions of debt yet subsidising petrol ,diesel and basically free university education
Where we are heading is a realisation that we must be productive as individuals , pay our way and stop looking for freebies
Those people Learning trades e.g. Mechanics,tailors,electricians,plumbers do not get help from government so why pamper undergraduates?

We have repeatedly said it that the so called petroleum subsidy is nothing but pure stealing, they overstate the amounts of fuel needed, collect subsidy on excess fuel..then go sell the same excess fuel in neighboring countries at normal......unsubsidised prices........... let them remove that..and funding tertiary education will no longer be such pain.... But the days of doing so too are now past.... we need sensible citizens.. these numerous subsidies has cushioned citizens too far..... they need to begin realising that there is direct impact between the quality of leadership they enthrone and their own quality of life in that person's tenure..maybe it will help the people think better about their choices going forward
Re: 90% Of UNIMAID Students Can't Afford New Fees-NANS by Menclothing: 1:23pm On Jan 16, 2023
If u check all.state university and their fee is you will.see this is low
Re: 90% Of UNIMAID Students Can't Afford New Fees-NANS by omonnakoda: 1:43pm On Jan 16, 2023
kafeii123:

We have repeatedly said it that the so called petroleum subsidy is nothing but pure stealing, they overstate the amounts of fuel needed, collect subsidy on excess fuel..then go sell the same excess fuel in neighboring countries at normal......unsubsidised prices........... let them remove that..and funding tertiary education will no longer be such pain.... But the days of doing so too are now past.... we need sensible citizens.. these numerous subsidies has cushioned citizens too far..... they need to begin realising that there is direct impact between the quality of leadership they enthrone and their own quality of life in that person's tenure..maybe it will help the people think better about their choices going forward
That is not the point here though
Even if subsidies are stolen. You talk as if the subsidy money exists in perpetuity and can just be switched to a different use when we like. We are virtually borrowing to pay subsidies. We are fast approaching a point where there is no money for subsidy and nothingto switch to other use when subsidy stops

Let us assume the money was there to switch,why should it be spent subsidising university education
Are those the only stakeholders? We are talking less than 0.5%of the population

There are millions of their age mates who are not in university learning various trades like bricklaying,tailoring,plumbing,etc. Their training is not subsidised
We need to dispense with this sense of entitlement
If you want to go to university pay for it or go and borrow
Re: 90% Of UNIMAID Students Can't Afford New Fees-NANS by nedekid: 1:45pm On Jan 16, 2023
If not that that zone is a no go area, it would have been the best time to apply for high demand competitive courses over there.
Re: 90% Of UNIMAID Students Can't Afford New Fees-NANS by Hemaah: 1:56pm On Jan 16, 2023
As long as they can easily get t-shirt and face cap to campaign for the same people that put them into this mess ......then why should I petty them. I think this is fake new in emilokan voice
Re: 90% Of UNIMAID Students Can't Afford New Fees-NANS by kafeii123: 2:13pm On Jan 16, 2023
omonnakoda:
That is not the point here though
Even if subsidies are stolen. You talk as if the subsidy money exists in perpetuity and can just be switched to a different use when we like. We are virtually borrowing to pay subsidies. We are fast approaching a point where there is no money for subsidy and nothingto switch to other use when subsidy stops

Let us assume the money was there to switch,why should it be spent subsidising university education
Are those the only stakeholders? We are talking less than 0.5%of the population

There are millions of their age mates who are not in university learning various trades like bricklaying,tailoring,plumbing,etc. Their training is not subsidised
We need to dispense with this sense of entitlement
If you want to go to university pay for it or go and borrow

I was at.tge National assembly year...we were there for some sort of training....We looked at nations that started out with Nigeria and how they suddenly grew on to leave Nigeria behind....

One of the few points that stuck out for ALL of them was complete and widespread quality education for all the citizens...so.. subsidizing education is NOT a gift as such...it is the very first thing that any nation that wants to grow *MUST* first do....to not do so...is to shift the foundation laying of our national gtowth forward.

Next is to stimulate productivity...... put up favorable trade policies... encourage the small and medium scale industries...etc...

Thirdn..is to discourage gigantic corruption and embezzlement as this will destroy whatever gains should come from increased productivity and last is is ensured security.

An investment in the populace' education is not a waste/entitlement... because the long term effect will be that foreign companies will be encouraged to bring in their own citizens as staff...for skills that Nigerians should have been able to do and retain forex from.

I agree that our economy has now been destroyed to the level where we're basically at out knes with loans so this may have to be put on hold...

For now, there is need to bosst revenue from almost all sectors
Re: 90% Of UNIMAID Students Can't Afford New Fees-NANS by OGHENAOGIE(m): 2:22pm On Jan 16, 2023
Brendaniel:

Let the government make the economy good and make provisions for educational support programs as it is done abroad before backing out...
I don hear let's be deceiving ourselves that 131k is to much for someone to pay in the name of economy
Re: 90% Of UNIMAID Students Can't Afford New Fees-NANS by OGHENAOGIE(m): 2:23pm On Jan 16, 2023
PJ123:

God bless you!!! Vocational and technical education are what we need in Nigeria
everyone must not go to university but pple no wan gree... China that's developed than us just about 10 percent of her populations have university degrees... The Chinese company I work my GM no be graduate yet he is functioning...

1 Like

Re: 90% Of UNIMAID Students Can't Afford New Fees-NANS by omonnakoda: 2:26pm On Jan 16, 2023
kafeii123:

I was at.tge National assembly year...we were there for some sort of training....We looked at nations that started out with Nigeria and how they suddenly grew on to leave Nigeria behind....

One of the few points that stuck out for ALL of them was complete and widespread quality education for all the citizens...so.. subsidizing education is NOT a gift as such...it is the very first thing that any nation that wants to grow *MUST* first do....to not do so...is to shift the foundation laying of our national gtowth forward.

Next is to stimulate productivity...... put up favorable trade policies... encourage the small and medium scale industries...etc...

Thirdn..is to discourage gigantic corruption and embezzlement as this will destroy whatever gains should come from increased productivity and last is is ensured security.

An investment in the populace' education is not a waste/entitlement... because the long term effect will be that foreign companies will be encouraged to bring in their own citizens as staff...for skills that Nigerians should have been able to do and retain forex from.

I agree that our economy has now been destroyed to the level where we're basically at out knes with loans so this may have to be put on hold...

For now, there is need to bosst revenue from almost all sectors
I
What is education
University is not the only place education happens
In Nigeria university education is wasteful because most graduates have no skills

How many of the Chinese building bridges in Nigeria went to university
Now go to the oil companies how many of those "expatriates " went to university?. Those Indians,Filipino etc

Summary
Public University is not the best place to spend our education budget

We need to spend on apprenticeships and courses that have a proven pathway to paid employment or self employment.
We need infrastructure land so we need people with skills in civil construction,people who can make shoes,belts,furniture and so on
Just go into any bank you find graduates as teller/cashier
Why do you need to do JAMB,to to university an come out to be a teller?

1 Like

Re: 90% Of UNIMAID Students Can't Afford New Fees-NANS by kafeii123: 2:28pm On Jan 16, 2023
omonnakoda:
I
What is education
University is not the only place education happens
In Nigeria university education is wasteful because most graduates have no skillsn

How many of the Chinese building bridges in Nigeria went to university
Now go to the oil companies how many of those "expatriates " went to university?
Summary
Public University is not the best place to spend our education budget

We need to spend on apprenticeships an coursesthat have a priven pathway to paid employment or self employment.
We need infrastructure land so we need people with skills in civil construction,people who can make shoes,belts,furniture and so on
Just go into any bank you find graduates as teller/cashier
Why do you need to do JAMB,to to university an come out to be a teller?

Well... except you are a trained macroeconomics professional.... I will have to believe the existing body of knowledge that says that a good number of well trained university graduates...with a complementary amount of technical professionals are a must for stimulating the growth of any economy.....

We have left the industrial age now .... A single well trained IT/ computer chips designing professional will earn the equivalent of tens of shoe/bag makers and bricklayers....The US has the largest economy in the world and it's dominance over the world's trade... security and economics isn't because it has the largest no of warehouses or manual factories.

We need technical crafts people yes.....but we need a higher earning population and the properly earning jobs aren't accessable to O -level holders
Re: 90% Of UNIMAID Students Can't Afford New Fees-NANS by CodeTemplar: 2:40pm On Jan 16, 2023
Kobonaire2023:

So since government is broke by your assertion, why do you want them to keep paying subsides?

You want debt to increase, ko?

Don't quote me to mock me again. Thanks. You have just proved my point....and I will add that government got into the brokeness by their refusal to remove subsides and improve tax to gdp ratios, as well as bad leadership.

There is no such thing as free lunch.

As long as more unevenly distributed and wasteful subsidies are maintained no problem with petrol subsidy for me.
Re: 90% Of UNIMAID Students Can't Afford New Fees-NANS by kafeii123: 3:09pm On Jan 16, 2023
OGHENAOGIE:
I don hear let's be deceiving ourselves that 131k is to much for someone to pay in the name of economy

For a session of school fee....131k is actually very cheap
Re: 90% Of UNIMAID Students Can't Afford New Fees-NANS by Archbishop88: 3:16pm On Jan 16, 2023
habsydiamond:
Most of these student's parents are civil servants with stipends coming in as salaries. How do you expect then to pay such exorbitant amount of money.
You should have push this question to Ngige, Adamu and Buhari.
Re: 90% Of UNIMAID Students Can't Afford New Fees-NANS by naijainstinct: 3:19pm On Jan 16, 2023
omonnakoda:
Your father at home or in his grave is the one that does not know how to think. Pig
I would have educated you by engaging in an intellectual discuss on the subject matter but you lost that opportunity with your opening sentence. You are still a baby who cannot hold civil conversations without disrespecting or denigrating the other person.
Re: 90% Of UNIMAID Students Can't Afford New Fees-NANS by OGHENAOGIE(m): 4:12pm On Jan 16, 2023
kafeii123:

For a session of school fee....131k is actually very cheap
but pple de cry I saw the fees it's still ok... Pple pay More for secondary self... And no one should bring that blackmail of ASUU fighting for students oooo...
Re: 90% Of UNIMAID Students Can't Afford New Fees-NANS by Nobody: 4:27pm On Jan 16, 2023
CodeTemplar:

As long as more unevenly distributed and wasteful subsidies are maintained no problem with petrol subsidy for me.

You then describe something that would make your problem worse.
Re: 90% Of UNIMAID Students Can't Afford New Fees-NANS by kafeii123: 5:19pm On Jan 16, 2023
SIONKPO1:

What is the percentage of those using Sophisticated phones?
Some students might have money but believe .me many don't have Garri to soak at home

This is very true....let's just hope that the trend doesn't go nationwide...

1 Like

Re: 90% Of UNIMAID Students Can't Afford New Fees-NANS by sulaak(m): 8:06pm On Jan 16, 2023
Ray02:

Lol. Like the all artisans we have already are doing great, enjoying government intervention. Na why most of them dey leave their job to do Okada or ride Marwa.

Ypu can't force people to do something, everything is not by force. Na so you want force people go farm.

The country needs skilled welders, masons- Bricklayers, plumbers, IT programmers (you don't need a degree), oil sea divers, electricians, mechanics etc.

The country doesn't need more than 20 universities to train managers, doctors and engineers.

1 Like

Re: 90% Of UNIMAID Students Can't Afford New Fees-NANS by Ray02: 8:30pm On Jan 16, 2023
sulaak:

The country needs skilled welders, masons- Bricklayers, plumbers, IT programmers (you don't need a degree), oil sea divers, electricians, mechanics etc.

The country doesn't need more than 20 universities to train managers, doctors and engineers.
The ones available, how often are they seeing work. I know lots that even went to learn these skills you are talking about after their tertiary education sef, so what are you on about. You are talking as if people are not learning them.
Mind you, Nigerians gravitate were money is being made, make all these your listed skills profitable and see people going into them.
It's not about forcing people, force people out of education without attracting them to something positive, and see surge in illegalities.
Re: 90% Of UNIMAID Students Can't Afford New Fees-NANS by sulaak(m): 11:10pm On Jan 16, 2023
Ray02:

The ones available, how often are they seeing work. I know lots that even went to learn these skills you are talking about after their tertiary education sef, so what are you on about. You are talking as if people are not learning them.
Mind you, Nigerians gravitate were money is being made, make all these your listed skills profitable and see people going into them.
It's not about forcing people, force people out of education without attracting them to something positive, and see surge in illegalities.

Try building a house and see how many Nigerian plasterers or bricklayers are in Nigeria. The majority of the electrician and welders in the oil industry are from the Philippines.

I agree that Nigeria has no working opportunities, but what if the situation changes this year? The skilled artisan will be available to support the country
Re: 90% Of UNIMAID Students Can't Afford New Fees-NANS by onadana: 6:27am On Jan 17, 2023
Poppia:
I'm an orphan and i sponsor myself. I normally pay 33k now they are asking me to pay 125k. Where do I get such amount? More worrisome that I got 2 more sessions to go.

You're an adult yet you call yourself an orphan.Me too am an orphan lost my dad and mum.Like seriously are you a child,how comes you dey university.The last time I checked orphan is synonymous to children.
Re: 90% Of UNIMAID Students Can't Afford New Fees-NANS by Ray02: 8:19am On Jan 18, 2023
sulaak:

Try building a house and see how many Nigerian plasterers or bricklayers are in Nigeria. The majority of the electrician and welders in the oil industry are from the Philippines.

I agree that Nigeria has no working opportunities, but what if the situation changes this year? The skilled artisan will be available to support the country
Maybe where you stay, many bricklayers I have seen have at least 3 apprentices 2ith them, I have even seen like two with upto 15.
Most 9fbthe people I know have one skills, I mean artisan, despite being graduate. So it is out about peole not learning.
A typical example is a friend who got a certificate in Chemistry, learnt plumbing, and now recruited to the Nigerian army, and I can telll you it is not entirely due to passion

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Imo State University Post Ume Update / Nigerian Defence Academy 66rc Loading / FUTO Gets $6 Million To Execute World Bank Project

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.