Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,128 members, 7,818,379 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:57 PM

Broken Timing Belt Covers Can Cause Engine Damage - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Broken Timing Belt Covers Can Cause Engine Damage (589 Views)

Can Oil Shortage/ Overdue Cause Engine Overheating / 2001 Toyota Camry Timing Belt Issues / 5 Causes Of Timing Chain Noise In Your Car (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Broken Timing Belt Covers Can Cause Engine Damage by TRYGO(m): 10:28am On Jan 15, 2023
Car with timing belts, employ the use of plastic timing bt covers, as a means of protecting the belts(from environmental dust, moisture, etc,), which are known to cause myriads of problems on belts.

Some of the problems associated with exposure of belts(timing) to some of these 'vices', ranges from engine damage as a result of belt getting stuck in to the crankshaft/camshaft sprockets, of such vehicles.

The oil seal located within the cranshaft/cam pulleys, could with time, start leaking. If not noticed early, will generate into a major oil shortage problem(oil starvation),that can damage the valve train(this is a gradual process of wearing out the cam lobes, and bearing caps).

Pls try as much as possible to replace your timing belt covers, when you notice they are broken, or damaged.

These plastic covers are not expensive to replace.

The one shown in the picture here, was the one I replaced from a Honda Accord 2008 V6 engine We recently rebuilt.

2 Likes

Re: Broken Timing Belt Covers Can Cause Engine Damage by Conner44: 12:41pm On Jan 15, 2023
Gard derm shocked did someone deliberately break off the cover or was it degraded by the elements?

That is the worst looking I’ve ever encountered and plastic doesn’t rust undecided
Re: Broken Timing Belt Covers Can Cause Engine Damage by calculation(m): 1:14pm On Jan 15, 2023
Welcome back on board. Long time of posting on the platform. I miss your post.
Re: Broken Timing Belt Covers Can Cause Engine Damage by jceesquare(m): 8:39pm On Jan 15, 2023
Conner44:
Gard derm shocked did someone deliberately break off the cover or was it degraded by the elements?

That is the worst looking I’ve ever encountered and plastic doesn’t rust undecided
I've seen worse cover and lots of cars without one sef.

1 Like

Re: Broken Timing Belt Covers Can Cause Engine Damage by TRYGO(m): 9:25pm On Jan 21, 2023
@Calculation. Yeah, kind of like being busy.
Would try make up suck poat hopefully this year!
Re: Broken Timing Belt Covers Can Cause Engine Damage by magnumwhales(m): 1:51am On Jan 22, 2023
calculation:
Welcome back on board. Long time of posting on the platform. I miss your post.
I share your sentiment
Re: Broken Timing Belt Covers Can Cause Engine Damage by calculation(m): 2:59am On Jan 22, 2023
TRYGO:
@Calculation. Yeah, kind of like being busy.
Would try make up suck poat hopefully this year!
I look forward to more of your post in future

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

I Need Help / Help On 03 Vw Passat / Gear Problem.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.