Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,506 members, 7,816,207 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:38 AM

Anyone For Glasses? - Fashion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / Anyone For Glasses? (7277 Views)

Seven BEAUTY TIPS For Ladies Who Rock Glasses. / Wearing Sun Glasses Indoors: Fashion Or Stupidity? / Geek Clear Glasses Look- Hot Or Not? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Anyone For Glasses? by aieromon(m): 7:00pm On Oct 31, 2011
I'm very very short sighted but i don't think i'll ever wear a pair of glasses till the day i can't make out letters at a comfortable range.
My cousin did the laser stuff in 2004 and has recommended it for me.I prefer that to wearing ''goggles''.lol
Re: Anyone For Glasses? by NnamdiN: 7:21pm On Oct 31, 2011
I thought the thread ws about how to correct the defect permanently.it's so boring wearing glasses to/in the club, and always being called 4 eyes. Nofin spoil sha, na me spoil the eye with eba grin
Re: Anyone For Glasses? by dollypi(m): 7:30pm On Oct 31, 2011
Been using glasses since I was 5 years old. Thanks to observant teachers.
I especially dislike the stiff neck it gives me from having to keep your head at a certain angle in order to see through the lens. I'm going for the laser surgery as soon as I can get access.
Re: Anyone For Glasses? by Jarus(m): 7:45pm On Oct 31, 2011
I just got mine few hours ago and I saw a lot of differences, in fact looks like I had been blind all these years. Things appear clear to me. Now I should be able to drive better. I still will be using it only when I need sha, like when driving at night and under rainfall and I can also sit conveniently at the back in trainings as well as read everything on my TV screen from my chair-distance - these are main areas the short-sightedness affect me.
Re: Anyone For Glasses? by DisGuy: 8:06pm On Oct 31, 2011
dollypi:

I especially dislike the stiff neck it gives me from having to keep your head at a certain angle in order to see through the lens. I'm going for the laser surgery as soon as I can get access.

what sort of glass are you using that requires you to bend your neck? Try another optician

or maybe you're using the reading glass with a special section for normal lens
Re: Anyone For Glasses? by deols(f): 8:20pm On Oct 31, 2011
welcome to d club! av bn using mine for over 11 yrs.
Re: Anyone For Glasses? by dollypi(m): 8:23pm On Oct 31, 2011
Dis Guy:

what sort of glass are you using that requires you to bend your neck? Try another optician

or maybe you're using the reading glass with a special section for normal lens

I use Normal glasses for short-sightedness. Maybe I should re-phrase and say neck strain.
I have used more than 15 pairs of glasses with the same issue, different opticians.
I used contacts for a while and never had the strained neck problem.
Re: Anyone For Glasses? by babyme1(f): 8:27pm On Oct 31, 2011
Been using glasses for 5 years now. Folks at my work place call me 'doc'. But i look hot in them, lol!
Re: Anyone For Glasses? by deols(f): 8:29pm On Oct 31, 2011
dollypi:

aieromon:

I'm very very short sighted but i don't think i'll ever wear a pair of glasses till the day i can't make out letters at a comfortable range.
My cousin did the laser stuff in 2004 and has recommended it for me.I prefer that to wearing ''goggles''.lol

are u guys aware of the side effects of laser surgeries??. It can be very bad
Re: Anyone For Glasses? by DisGuy: 8:36pm On Oct 31, 2011
deols:

are u guys aware of the side effects of laser surgeries??. It can be very bad

?

what are the side effects? is there anything that doesnt have a bad side effect, i think if one percent of a routine operation result in a unfavourable
result it shouldnt be blown out

common child birth has 'very bad' side effects
Re: Anyone For Glasses? by omoola007(m): 8:40pm On Oct 31, 2011
LASIK is great but still a bit expensive with time the price will keep coming down. I am considering doing mine in India while aim on a business trip there next year.nits much cheaper.

As per being a glasses wearer, be careful not to rely on it too much. I have transitional lenses ( turns to sunglasses outside) after so many years my eyes are super sensitive to the sun. I can't go outside without sunglasses or prescription sunglasses.

So be very careful. Even after my LASIK I will still wear sunglasses all the time due to light sensitivity.
Re: Anyone For Glasses? by deols(f): 9:00pm On Oct 31, 2011
Dis Guy:

?

what are the side effects? is there anything that doesnt have a bad side effect, i think if one percent of a routine operation result in a unfavourable
result it shouldnt be blown out

common child birth has 'very bad' side effects
I agree
Re: Anyone For Glasses? by claremont(m): 9:11pm On Oct 31, 2011
I am slightly short-sighted (my focal length is -1.25 for both eyes), and I have been using corrective glasses since 1999 when I discovered this defect. I recently tried using contact lenses, but I just don't fancy the inconvenience of sticking a foreign object into my eye on a daily basis. Some people have said my glasses makes me look scholarly, they couldn't have been more wrong!
Re: Anyone For Glasses? by oc2fish: 9:17pm On Oct 31, 2011
I got mine last year . I hate every thing about glasses. I can read without mine but need lots
of light to see at night, I intend changing the lens to same grade soon. I like the frame and the professoral
look but hate the glass.
Re: Anyone For Glasses? by dollypi(m): 9:20pm On Oct 31, 2011
By the way, my eye-sight has improved over the past 25 years approx. from -2.75 to -0.75 and -1.25.
The glasses actually worked/ is working in my case.
Re: Anyone For Glasses? by Evagreenfields: 9:21pm On Oct 31, 2011
JeSoul:

Lol. I wish I could be as excited as some of you are about wearing glasses. And sorry to be a bit of a downer but I wish someone had told me this years ago -

As veteran eye glass wearer, let me offer some advice for new-wearers -
1- If the strength of your glasses are low, restrict your use to only when you need them. Reason below- 
2- Do not upgrade the strength of your glasses year after year. Your optician will most likely suggest it or even insist it, but do your best not to. Wearing glasses has both a corrective - and detrimental effect on your eyes, in other words, the more you wear them, the more you'll need them because the worse your eyes will get. When it becomes more of a handicap than a fashion accessory, and you can't wake up and see the alarm clock without squiting your eyes, I'm sure many will feel differently. lol.

I currently use contacts and will never go back to frames, its just so much more convenient. But there are pitfalls to using contacts. Take care of them well, use the proper solution to soak, change them when they've expired. When used correctly they can be great, used incorrectly and can result in a host of problems.

Someone mentioned Lasik - fantastic procedure that is done in just minutes with the latest laser equipment. A bit pricey and if not done at a reputable doctor can end in disaster and loss of sight. However, if you don't do your homework and avoid ^things above, you'll be so far gone with your eyes that you won't even qualify for Lasik. There is a cut off Lasik candidates - that is your vision cannot be worse than -7 (i think). Thankfully, there are options for non-lasik candidates.
ur soooo ryt @ point 2. If anyone had told me 11yrs ago to stick to the power wich i started with, i lld really appreciate it. Started @ 12 yrz old with -1L&R. By 16 it became -3.5 on both eyes on axis 180 deg. Nw am on -4.5 for my right eye and -6.5 for my left eye.this ll def be the height that t ll get to cos i aint increasing my optical power no more.
Re: Anyone For Glasses? by Evagreenfields: 9:25pm On Oct 31, 2011
dollypi:

By the way, my eye-sight has improved over the past 25 years approx. from -2.75 to -0.75 and -1.25.
The glasses actually worked/ is working in my case.
arent u just lucky.i really hope my eyesight improves
Re: Anyone For Glasses? by Mcleo007(m): 9:36pm On Oct 31, 2011
Quite a number of people have no need wearing lenses. For them, its just something cool to put on. Been wearing lenses now for the past 10 yrs and must confess its a burden. I'm long sighted. And from observations so far, there is nothing like corrective lenses.
Re: Anyone For Glasses? by smileyprin(m): 10:18pm On Oct 31, 2011
LOL, Got ma frst pair ov Glasses when i waz 19, it was a bit wierd seein with it,but the me (image), is funny initially buddies nd classmates startd Tauntin me, 'Welcum to The Club' but now i'm so used to it couple with the fact that i always have it on.
Re: Anyone For Glasses? by Nobody: 10:20pm On Oct 31, 2011
I so subscribe to Jesoul's opinion. The ones who have been wearing them long enough are sure tired of 'em!
Re: Anyone For Glasses? by Bassie(m): 10:31pm On Oct 31, 2011
Just one side lined thought,in as much as we all should have our eye pressures checked once in two year, If you short sighted, please make it more frequent. There's a greater risk of Glaucoma with Short sighted blacks than their contemporaries.
Re: Anyone For Glasses? by FelaLives(m): 10:40pm On Oct 31, 2011
While we on this optical issue. Anyone done Laser surgery?
And has this enabled u  to now 'dump the specs'?

Yeah! outstrip's comment is true, wearing specs DEFINITELY
makes u look geeky,scholarly,Learned? Wotever Take Your Choice

Hey! Street sweepers or an Office messenger  and or Clerks could
of cos wear Glasses too, ie Bad or deficient eyesight no dey discriminate Aiight!

My Q IS:

Have u done Laser Surgery,
and wot has been the outcome ie your experience after,
Re: Anyone For Glasses? by dustydee: 11:04pm On Oct 31, 2011
got mine early this year. knew my vision wasn't very good but can't see what I used to see before the glasses now without the glasses. I have to wear the glasses to see what i could see before(straining my eyes a little)now. sad my vision without the glass is worse than before.
Re: Anyone For Glasses? by willarrie(m): 11:20pm On Oct 31, 2011
Got mine'bout4yrs ago,back den i was in d university &was refered2as a nerd felt cool,got into d working environment frends&colleagues said looked 2serious,&so wen l misplaced it was sumwhat hapi,until jt last wk,l discovered l nided it more dan ever & avin it on feels like l'v missed a whole!
Re: Anyone For Glasses? by deekseen(m): 11:27pm On Oct 31, 2011
For about three days now i have been having a painful sensation in my left eye and some ache just above it, on the left part of my forehead. I have been staying too long on my phone, even in the dark (and the screen is quite bright), for months now. I think i might have done some damage somehow. Contemplating going for a checkup soon. I really don't like glasses, they make me look like a nerd.
Re: Anyone For Glasses? by DisGuy: 11:32pm On Oct 31, 2011
deekseen:

For about three days now i have been having a painful sensation in my left eye and some ache just above it, on the left part of my forehead. I have been staying too long on my phone, even in the dark (and the screen is quite bright), for months now. I think i might have done some damage somehow. Contemplating going for a checkup soon. I really don't like glasses, they make me look like a nerd.

why dont you just stay off the phone or use it in well lit room
Re: Anyone For Glasses? by deekseen(m): 11:40pm On Oct 31, 2011
I use internet on my laptop when i have heavy stuffs to do, Had to place that restriction so as to save my eyes. But i need the internet every now and then and right now i'm on my phone. Not an addiction, just a necessity.
Re: Anyone For Glasses? by DisGuy: 11:48pm On Oct 31, 2011
then put the lights on or get a side lamp
Re: Anyone For Glasses? by Nobody: 11:58pm On Oct 31, 2011
I've had glasses since the age of 15. Mine are for distance vision (short-sighted). I also wear contacts, when I'm going out.
Re: Anyone For Glasses? by jle(f): 12:24am On Nov 01, 2011
When i had my first glases,it was hard for me but after a while i got used to it
Re: Anyone For Glasses? by Ogaga4Luv(m): 1:03am On Nov 01, 2011
[size=13pt]Kesiena. . . . . . cheesy cheesy wink[/size]

Siena:

I've had glasses since the age of 15. Mine are for distance vision (short-sighted). I also wear contacts, when I'm going out.
Re: Anyone For Glasses? by Haribo: 1:20am On Nov 01, 2011
I've been wearing glasses for the past 20 years. Yep!! 20 fricken years. I lived through being called 4 eyes and coke bottle eyes from a very young age. I have to admit it was hard sometimes  cry But I'm fine now. I still wear glasses and my vision still sucks, but at least now I wear glasses with cute frames and people think I look cool and smart in them (I AM cool and smart). Not to mention now that I'm all grown up I have strong arms and I can slap anyone that calls me four eyes! I dare anyone to try it  tongue

Oh, I have astigmatism in both eyes and I'm myopic (in the medical sense only). Sounds cool right? Not really.

I talked to my doctor last week about laser surgery and he said it's no guarantee that my eyes will get better in the future, so I dropped the issue for now. I'll keep researching it though. Maybe I'll get it done a few years from now.

I tried looking into contacts but I blink 500 times a second whenever anything gets close to my eyes. I can't even put in eye drops cos I blink so much. My doctor said I should just give up! I don't mind though. Contacts are a bit disgusting to me.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

What Makes Clothes Fade? / JIMZSTYLE Concept ,home Of Men Footwear / Rihanna’s Hairstyles Through The Years

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.