Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,070 members, 7,835,607 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 12:27 PM

Nairaland Mathematicians, Please Come And Help Me Solve This - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Nairaland Mathematicians, Please Come And Help Me Solve This (1499 Views)

Mathematicians, Please Help Me With These Quadratic Equations / Nairaland Mathematicians And Physicists, Come And Try This. / Please Help Me Solve This Book 4 Quantitative Reasoning Problem (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nairaland Mathematicians, Please Come And Help Me Solve This by Bam17(f): 12:40am On Jan 17, 2023
Spare124:
Please can you help with this

You're welcome wink
Whenever you see X, just know it's the box I'm talking about. Anyone can check if I'm correct... just in case I made a mistake while hurrying. Got exams. Wish me luck wink

1 Share

Re: Nairaland Mathematicians, Please Come And Help Me Solve This by NaijaphiliaBlog: 1:55am On Jan 17, 2023
The error was in the last step of the calculation i.e.

- 2/X = - 1/2 is correct, but

cross-multiplying will give

- X = - 4 i.e. both sides of the equation are negative.

Thus we need a last step to multiply both sides by minus 1 i.e.

-1(- X) =-1( - 4 )

X = 4

MIRACULOUS123:

Seems I'm the only one that understand you.

I thought the first step before solving anything is to collect the like terms.
1/x +1/2=3/x
Collect the like terms.
1/x -3/x=-1/2
Then finding the LCM.
-2/x=-1/2
Lastly,cross multiply
X=-4

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Mathematicians, Please Come And Help Me Solve This by sqlPAIN: 2:22am On Jan 17, 2023
steeltrust:
that not nice
You can correct me in a calm manner

I’m not God who knows it all
Atlist I made an attempt correct me where I’m wrong not shouting as we are enemies

It not nice
no vex naa bro grin Na how you take convert the question to quadratic equation dey surprise me because I don't understand how you got two answers grin and the worst part come be say no of them correct grin
Re: Nairaland Mathematicians, Please Come And Help Me Solve This by eastgates1: 2:40am On Jan 17, 2023
The answer is 4.
1/x +1/2 =3/x
Subtract the 3/x from both sides
1/x + 1/2 - 3/x = 0
Look for the LCM of the denominators
Which gives 2x.

Our equation now becomes
2+x-6 = 0
______
2x
Cross multiply the denominator with 0.
It now becomes
2+ x - 6=0
Collect like terms
X +2-6 =0
X-4 =0
X=4

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Mathematicians, Please Come And Help Me Solve This by Chaos14: 6:59am On Jan 17, 2023
don4real:
See confidence chai. You are the one that is wrong. Check the solving below
Collect like terms and cross multiply
Re: Nairaland Mathematicians, Please Come And Help Me Solve This by Chaos14: 7:01am On Jan 17, 2023
Drrnie:

Bro leave that one... Na only God know where e get -4 from
Collect like terms then cross multiply
Re: Nairaland Mathematicians, Please Come And Help Me Solve This by steeltrust: 8:20am On Jan 17, 2023
sqlPAIN:
no vex naa bro grin Na how you take convert the question to quadratic equation dey surprise me because I don't understand how you got two answers grin and the worst part come be say no of them correct grin
you no say for warri we de form say we too know

No be our fault
Over sabi de worry us grin
Re: Nairaland Mathematicians, Please Come And Help Me Solve This by padyt007(m): 8:29am On Jan 17, 2023
This solution is correct
steeltrust:
To solve this equation, we can start by multiplying both sides of the equation by x(x+2) to eliminate the fractions:

1/x + 1/2 = 3/x
x(x+2) = (x+2)

Next, we can distribute the x on the left side of the equation:

x^2 + 2x = x + 2

Then, we can subtract x from both sides:

x^2 + x = 2

Finally, we can subtract 2 from both sides:

x^2 + x - 2 = 0

Now, we can factor the left side of the equation:

(x-1)(x+2)=0

This gives us two solutions:
x = 1 or x = -2

Hence the solutions are x = 1, and x = -2
Re: Nairaland Mathematicians, Please Come And Help Me Solve This by JOACHINpedro: 8:39am On Jan 17, 2023
FromZeroToHero:
Very simple
Lol,
What is 0/x?
Re: Nairaland Mathematicians, Please Come And Help Me Solve This by FromZeroToHero(m): 9:02am On Jan 17, 2023
JOACHINpedro:

Lol,
What is 0/x?

Same thing as 0/100= 0.
Re: Nairaland Mathematicians, Please Come And Help Me Solve This by JOACHINpedro: 9:03am On Jan 17, 2023
FromZeroToHero:

Same thing as 0/100= 0.
I don't think you were meant to divide such factorised expression by x, the division is not correct.
Re: Nairaland Mathematicians, Please Come And Help Me Solve This by FromZeroToHero(m): 9:05am On Jan 17, 2023
JOACHINpedro:

I don't think you were meant to divide such factorised expression

That's the beauty of mathematics. You can use different methods and still arrive at the same answer.
Re: Nairaland Mathematicians, Please Come And Help Me Solve This by JOACHINpedro: 9:11am On Jan 17, 2023
FromZeroToHero:

That's the beauty of mathematics. You can use different methods and still arrive at the same answer.
x(x-4)=0
Dividing the two sides by x is not correct because of (x-4)
Re: Nairaland Mathematicians, Please Come And Help Me Solve This by jidepopeson: 9:30am On Jan 17, 2023
Absolute bunkum!
steeltrust:
To solve this equation, we can start by multiplying both sides of the equation by x(x+2) to eliminate the fractions:

1/x + 1/2 = 3/x
x(x+2) = (x+2)

x^2 + 2x = x + 2

x^2 + x = 2

x^2 + x - 2 = 0

(x-1)(x+2)=0

x = 1 or x = -2

Re: Nairaland Mathematicians, Please Come And Help Me Solve This by FromZeroToHero(m): 10:15am On Jan 17, 2023
JOACHINpedro:

x(x-4)=0
Dividing the two sides by x is not correct because of (x-4)

x-4=0

x=4
Re: Nairaland Mathematicians, Please Come And Help Me Solve This by jeromestarks: 10:32am On Jan 17, 2023
Goodlady:

The answer is 2. It's dark here I d v shown you my wokings.
You're chicken.

Put 2 in the equation and see if it's true.
Re: Nairaland Mathematicians, Please Come And Help Me Solve This by PARADIZEPRIEST: 11:16am On Jan 17, 2023
1/x + 1/2=3/x
1/x - 3/x=-1/2
-2/x= -1/2

-2/x. X x/1= -1/2 X x/1
-2= -x/2
-2 X 2 = -x
-4. = -x
4=x
Therefore
x=4
QED
This is just a simple equation.
ABEG IF YOU ARE NO MATHEMATICIAN DON'T COME HERE AND WRITE WETIN YOU NO SABI. because THE THING WEY YOU NO KNOW SENIOR YOU. grin

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Mathematicians, Please Come And Help Me Solve This by PARADIZEPRIEST: 11:29am On Jan 17, 2023
steeltrust:
To solve this equation, we can s ;Dtart by multiplying both sides of the equation by x(x+2) to eliminate the fractions:

1/x + 1/2 = 3/x
x(x+2) = (x+2)

x^2 + 2x = x + 2

x^2 + x = 2

x^2 + x - 2 = 0

(x-1)(x+2)=0

x = 1 or x = -2

grin grin Haa! O boy where you get all these raise to power,na wa o! Just look and learn maths,and stop this esoteric you are writing here.

2 Likes

Re: Nairaland Mathematicians, Please Come And Help Me Solve This by CountryTireMan(m): 11:34am On Jan 17, 2023
Easy

Re: Nairaland Mathematicians, Please Come And Help Me Solve This by Abuventure: 1:19pm On Jan 17, 2023
Re: Nairaland Mathematicians, Please Come And Help Me Solve This by Abuventure: 1:21pm On Jan 17, 2023
This is the answer.

Re: Nairaland Mathematicians, Please Come And Help Me Solve This by ghettochild(m): 9:07am On Jan 18, 2023
steeltrust:

1/x + 1/2 = 3/x
x(x+2) = (x+2)

x^2 + 2x = x + 2

x^2 + x = 2

x^2 + x - 2 = 0

(x-1)(x+2)=0

x = 1 or x = -2

Uncle where ur 3/x disappeared to
Re: Nairaland Mathematicians, Please Come And Help Me Solve This by ghettochild(m): 9:09am On Jan 18, 2023
Spare124:
Please can you help with this
In my days.. these things were straightforward but nowadays na complex ones oooo . .u will need to write it out n then be doing... add or subtract two from both sides..
But those days...we do the straightforward calculations in our heads
Re: Nairaland Mathematicians, Please Come And Help Me Solve This by steeltrust: 12:22pm On Jan 18, 2023
ghettochild:

Uncle where ur 3/x disappeared to
e de irabijigrin

(1) (2) (Reply)

Waec Releases 2009 Results / Priv: Invitation For Aptitude Test : Apprentice Program / UI Students Insist On Cooking In Hostels

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.