Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,298 members, 7,815,526 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:56 PM

How I Earned Bountifully Enough As A Broke Self Learned Developer (Short Story) - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / How I Earned Bountifully Enough As A Broke Self Learned Developer (Short Story) (483 Views)

What Have You Learned From The Recent Layoffs? / The Best Method To Learn And Master Javascript as a broke boy/girl. / What Was The First Programming Language You Learned And Why? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How I Earned Bountifully Enough As A Broke Self Learned Developer (Short Story) by NaijaBoard30: 3:14pm On Jan 17, 2023
Nigeria is a home of super skilled developers either web or software.

Too many projects where orchestrated from Nigeria though some has moved out to other countries due to some National flaws and flops.

It's good anyways, Nigeria still provides the best of itself.

I stated learning script coding such as html, css, JavaScript while I was 15yrs through hell cos then I had internet device, no school to attend around my area and so on.
I live in an town (OMU-IJEBU), Ogun State. {Rural area to say}. There's no single person who is techy skilled when it comes to being a developer. In the whole town, hardly would you see up to 3 so called cafe's or even 1 standard cafe.

I really got my passion from sci-fi movies. I really wanna be like those quantum gurus like Tony in marvel and likes. Indians hacking movies were very captivating and those fast typing stuff all caused a goosebumps ���.

But I don't really know where to start my dreams from, no idea, even my parents don't understand what my future hold whenever I narrate what I wish to be like �.

It all started with my mom's KeyPad Techno Phone which barely has network coverage. I would steal her phone at night, walk out in the dark in search for networks. I would write and write ✍️✍️✍️ from Google search. I had too many notes and my shared room is always littered with papers. So many of my books got burnt by my mom as it was termed litters. My dad would at times lock me indoor so as not to move out at night. With my book, I would keep on writing and writing. Would at times keep the book at my friend's place so as to pick up during my walk to school the next day.

I really wanna be a developer even if I'm not an hacker. At least, build something that would be top notch.

Those bad energies asserted didn't really stopped me from attaining my goals.

One greatest slap on me back then was that I would always try to make use of my school computer system for practices but always get denied. Our School system is always meant to be used only during lecture times. I was in SS1 back then. My computer teacher would always deny me access and at times report me or make use of me to run errands so as to gain access to it but all in all it's just a case of scam, stories would come up if I needed to gain access to it and would at times be given a faulty system to operate on which would turn off occasionally at a maximum of 5 minutes.

All those negative energies really wanted to set me back but I kept on moving.

Long story short, I got my Lenovo phone as it was picked up on the road side (though faulty) but took it to the engineer for a repair which spent like 4mnths before I could pay for the bill. Hmmm. Hurray, I started by installing anWriter on my phone for practices.

My notes were more or less of a dictionary gotten from a garbage � but useful. Prior before now, both written and practicals were all penned ���.

I had no learning layout or let's say table of contents. I would just Google search and learn whatever stumbled on my sight.

At times I would learn Js while still learning html, at times learn css while still at the fundamentals of Js and so on.

That's how I've been rolling over and over.

Though I was a WordPress web design expert and could tone ready made script to my taste using my coding skill in html, css and Js.
Pretty Cool!

The angel in me was pushed out on January, 2021 by a client who needed a vtu website. Ion even know what vtu was back then but I needed the 25k bided by the client as it was like 25m to me. I was actually at my siwes centre while I was in ND2 @Grace Polytechnic so the money really meant alot to me.

I kept on researching and researching about the vtu stuff but no way!
I saw some vtu scripts but the price was #30k which I couldn't afford.

I started learning PHP in Jan 2021 as I discovered that there would be need of API stuffs so I chose PHP over Js. I built my first vtu website using bootstrap and some css touches though it was a rough one, the client was very angry and gave me an ultimatum. I thought of WordPress but no plugin was existing back then to use. I then decided to build one. I started building vtupress at day one while I was learning WordPress plugin development even though I'm still finding it difficult with PHP as I was still a beginner.

I published my first plugin which was damned by so many developers, clients as it was somehow rough but back then it was the best to me � as I'm not the competitive type even till now.

Anyways, I didn't mind the trashed thrown on me. Unfortunately, I dropped out from school due to financial instability with nothing to hold unto expect that project which I'm building. In 6mnths (though it over passed the ultimatum and I lost the client eventually), I could study PHP to a perfect curve, learnt bootstraping too well, Improved in other languages, even WordPress plugin dev became a so called toy to me �.

Now, I have over 2k users based on subscription and lifetime users using the plugin too well that could definitely beat out scripts which has been existing far before it started. Even those developers had to contact me if I've sold the project since it was more than they could imagine would come from me. I'm actually the only developer of the plugin.

Along side vtupress, I built some top plugins which I sold out to the whites especially to indians and could work on diverse kind of projects.

I sticked to WordPress plugin dev as it was highly demanding mostly on script markets and high paying.

I built and rebuilt. Even my so called toy projects became a "wow!!! This has been what I have been looking for".

All Glory to God, I have my personal IT company with subsidiaries along side a hosting company, freelancing company and so on.

When most developers kept talking rash of WordPress due to security reasons, I saw it as a strong hold. Since u can detect security issues why not fix it ���. Anyways, one of my largest project was G-SATA which was built with NASA Api and acts more of Google Map and in connection with some surveillance site api and cameras such as Raptor626, the plugin could turn a site to a live geo-watching system and space record system + checking current satellite positions, status and focus point. It was sold out to an IT company in Diaspora.

Though, I have passion in bringing up upcoming devs, mentor and flush them with serious projects. In most cases at a very cheaper price but �� too many found it too cheap and called it a scam. Some sees 20 - 30k too harsh. E.t.c

Having a record of 46 untouched projects and 16 ongoing projects which are not even monitored by me but my co students. as at today, Im having a training centre in same rural area which I originated from.

Glory to God, I walk by foot on a 2hrs journey to school back then but reverse is the case and with Gods aid I gat more achievements rolling on and on which I couldn't have attained in 10yrs time.

To My Upcoming Devs:-
� Never give up
� Forget about those negs. Energies.
� Forget about your limitations such as no PC and so on as I have once been paying #200/hr to use a cyber cafe @ Ijebu ode and would sleep in people's shop over the night against the next morning since I can't pay transportations to and fro from my place down there.
� Keep on rolling even over chokes and hooks.
� Even if you have no mentors just as I was, Google is your friend.
� Learn from my mistakes such as having biased focus toward my goals which was due to :- I wanna know all at a short time even though it worked for me but you really need the focus-on-one system as it makes one more professional
� I would advice you get a mentor who would push you through and energize you as though you would nearly give up at some point in time.
� Not all mentors are mentors. Some a demons to kill your passion. If the one you're with is really frustrating your dreams kindly move on.
� Even if it takes your last dine to learn, kindly give it out as you can't tell if what you're to learn could change your story. A single line of word could change you or energize your passion towards your dreams.
� Not all opportunities are scams.

To My Gurus and Masters:-
� You're not a demi god of codes so be humble. I really cherished one student who lives in Agbor , Delta state that I had to visit him for a week from Ogun State since his passion is really driving me crazy and today he's a super coder even faster that I am. I really out-poured so many things to his system that at times I would see myself to be a lazy type compared to him. This guy would wake me at noon as if we're to have some prayers but hell no!!!! He actually stumbled on some bugs that he couldn't wait till the day breaks.
� You really need to mark some failures in some upcoming devs as a success but with some advised improvement and not the other way round. What do some the so called dev mean by "What you're doing is trash and my begining state is better than you current state", "Give up and learn other skills like sososososososo", "Get out! You're not worth my time as your dump head".
Some so called dev are nothing but demons and could kill visions.
� Appreciate other projects and give perspectives not damn and condemnations.
� Know that you're the best in your world, don't underestimate as whom you belittle today might become a master mind tomorrow. By God's Grace, some devs whom I ran to for help and couldn't render one are actually submitting CVs or crave to be part of the team.

6 Likes

Re: How I Earned Bountifully Enough As A Broke Self Learned Developer (Short Story) by LikeAking: 3:53pm On Jan 17, 2023
Story! Story!!
Re: How I Earned Bountifully Enough As A Broke Self Learned Developer (Short Story) by NaijaBoard30: 4:01pm On Jan 17, 2023
LikeAking:
Story! Story!!
Once upon a time ooo
Re: How I Earned Bountifully Enough As A Broke Self Learned Developer (Short Story) by Nobody: 4:03pm On Jan 17, 2023
Even if it was hard to read and probably culled from your fantasies, still inspiring.

1 Like

Re: How I Earned Bountifully Enough As A Broke Self Learned Developer (Short Story) by NaijaBoard30: 4:30pm On Jan 17, 2023
GREATIGBOMAN:
Even if it was hard to read and probably culled from your fantasies, still inspiring.
Fantasies you say?
Probably you grew up with a silver spoon. You can read stories of those who grew from trenches and how they had gone through hell then you'd understand what you tagged fantasies as just an introduction compared to theirs

2 Likes

Re: How I Earned Bountifully Enough As A Broke Self Learned Developer (Short Story) by sqlPAIN: 9:00pm On Jan 17, 2023
That epistle is what you called "short story"?
You must be an idiot.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How I Earned Bountifully Enough As A Broke Self Learned Developer (Short Story) by NaijaBoard30: 8:31am On Jan 18, 2023
sqlPAIN:
That epistle is what you called "short story"?
You must be an idiot.
No offence. You weren't forced to read through

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

Python Help Needed ASAP / Tech Partners / How Can I Start Learning Programming

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.