Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,961 members, 7,810,656 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 12:51 PM

Man Mauled By Tiger On The Loose In Johannesburg (Pictures) - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Man Mauled By Tiger On The Loose In Johannesburg (Pictures) (39706 Views)

Snake Hunter Bitten By Tiger Snake Is Facing Multiple Organ Failure in Australia / See Coronavirus Isolation Site for Johannesburg (South Africa) / Boy Survives After Being Mauled By 2 Dogs Who Opened His Head. Graphic Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Man Mauled By Tiger On The Loose In Johannesburg (Pictures) by WannaHowzit(m): 8:46pm On Jan 18, 2023

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7sRWuXLpzg

“I still cannot believe that I am alive.”

These are the words of William Mokoena (39) who was attacked by a female tiger that has been on the loose since Friday.

Speaking to Sowetan from his bed at Kopanong Hospital, Mokoena said he was on his way home in Walkerville, south of Johannesburg, on Saturday night when he was attacked by the tigress known as Sheba.

This was a few minutes after he had left his cousin's place..

Mokoena was using a route that is normally used by pedestrians and cyclists, which cuts through a veld.

He recalled how he had been tying his shoes when the animal, which escaped from one of the plots in the area, attacked him.

“It still feels like a dream that I am alive. I feel numb. I have not had time to digest the incident, but I thank God. What I want is for the animal to be captured because my cousin has young kids and that route is used by children who go to a school nearby.”

As he relates his story, Mokoena said he was just walking, carrying his portable bluetooth speaker and a phone on the other hand.

“I was bending over when something heavy pushed me to the ground. I fell and lay on my back. When I looked up, a giant animal with its mouth open wanted to reach for my face. I was screaming for help.

"I was also using my hands so that it does not reach my face. It then jumped for my legs, grabbing the flesh with its jaws.

“However, I don’t know where I got the strength to be calm in the midst of the whole thing. I kept focusing on its face and following the movement of its body. My cousin eventually came to my rescue and it ran away. After the attack they took me to his house, we could hear that the tiger is outside. It ate a dog. My cousin opened the window but could not see it. I was in pain.”

After the attack, Mokoena had to wait for 12 hours before an ambulance arrived to take him to hospital.

Mokoena's cousin, Andries Mokoena, said: “When I heard people in the area talking about a tiger that attacked someone I was not aware that it was my cousin. I am glad he is alive. But since the incident happened people are living in fear and we all hope to see the tiger being captured. You are afraid to go outside the house at night.”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sowetanlive.co.za/amp/news/south-africa/2023-01-17-man-tells-how-he-survived-attack-by-sheba-the-tiger/

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Man Mauled By Tiger On The Loose In Johannesburg (Pictures) by WannaHowzit(m): 8:54pm On Jan 18, 2023
The tiger killed two dogs and a pig during the five days it was on the loose

The tiger on the loose in Midvaal, South of Johannesburg, has been put down.

The tiger, known as Sheba, escaped from her holding area on Saturday and had been on the loose for five days.

All attempts to recapture Sheba failed despite bait traps and thermal imaging.

Police said that in the early hours of Wednesday morning, Sheba attacked and killed a domestic farm animal and residents in surrounding farms were at risk.

The cat was killed to protect the residents.

6 Likes

Re: Man Mauled By Tiger On The Loose In Johannesburg (Pictures) by eliyke(m): 9:01pm On Jan 18, 2023
Dis kind thing hardly happen 4 my country,d small wild animal wey remain dey hide 4rm jungle justice

84 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Man Mauled By Tiger On The Loose In Johannesburg (Pictures) by SUPERPACK: 9:02pm On Jan 18, 2023
I blame Tinubu for this

17 Likes

Re: Man Mauled By Tiger On The Loose In Johannesburg (Pictures) by WannaHowzit(m): 9:30pm On Jan 18, 2023
Full interview with William Mokoena - the man attacked by Sheba the Tiger.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7sRWuXLpzg
Re: Man Mauled By Tiger On The Loose In Johannesburg (Pictures) by dawnomike(m): 10:01pm On Jan 18, 2023
That his cousin is a brother indeed!!!

30 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Man Mauled By Tiger On The Loose In Johannesburg (Pictures) by TheWolfen(m): 11:07pm On Jan 18, 2023
Yes the man should sue the big cat owner.

They are called wild animals for a reason. Why should anyone try to tame and keep such wild beast in residential area?

44 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Man Mauled By Tiger On The Loose In Johannesburg (Pictures) by MMempire(m): 12:35am On Jan 19, 2023
Thank God for your life.

3 Likes

Re: Man Mauled By Tiger On The Loose In Johannesburg (Pictures) by Vyzz: 7:33am On Jan 19, 2023
cool

Tiger on the loose in Africa...

Something I thought I wouldn't hear ever...

Sorry kid

1 Like

Re: Man Mauled By Tiger On The Loose In Johannesburg (Pictures) by delzbaba(m): 8:08am On Jan 19, 2023
Lucky guy

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Man Mauled By Tiger On The Loose In Johannesburg (Pictures) by Rexymania(m): 8:50am On Jan 19, 2023
Kilode e. Shey the head na glass ni? Lol

eliyke:
Dis kind thing hardly happen 4 my country,d small wild animal wey remain dey hide 4rm jungle justice

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Man Mauled By Tiger On The Loose In Johannesburg (Pictures) by oz4real83(m): 10:10am On Jan 19, 2023
Wildlife keep paying for human mistakes embarassed, instead of euthanizing the animal with a life bullet when other attempts failed, why didn't they use a tranquilizer? Humans should leave wild animals in the wild and stop tampering or encroaching in their environment. Any human who takes an animal from the wild should also get whatever that animal gets when it commits an havoc just like in this case.

9 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Man Mauled By Tiger On The Loose In Johannesburg (Pictures) by Sultty(m): 11:27am On Jan 19, 2023
can u see that we humans are the greatest risk to these big cats. The tigers natural habitat is in d jungle yet u see people keeping it as pet (pathetic) now the expensive animal is killed by a live bullet instead of a tranquilizer gun

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Man Mauled By Tiger On The Loose In Johannesburg (Pictures) by FalseProphet1(m): 11:42am On Jan 19, 2023
Poor man. He'll be fine.

This I have seen.

2 Likes

Re: Man Mauled By Tiger On The Loose In Johannesburg (Pictures) by ZINNYBANKS: 11:43am On Jan 19, 2023
sorry bro bending down driggered the attack. It mistake you for something that looked like an aminal.it a miracle you're alive I watch similar case to on natgeowild. This south african man was also attacked by a lion, the lion and other lions were about to feast on him he screamed so loud that poacher security came to the scene and fired a shot .

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Man Mauled By Tiger On The Loose In Johannesburg (Pictures) by Goodlady(f): 11:43am On Jan 19, 2023
Bad. He should sue them and take possession of that tiger's body.
That's what I ll demand. If not, the owner too must be left with a tiger in a deserted street and let's see if he ll survive!
The owner need to pay for the carelessness anyhow!

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Man Mauled By Tiger On The Loose In Johannesburg (Pictures) by Ejiakusmith(m): 11:45am On Jan 19, 2023
Hhhhhhh
Re: Man Mauled By Tiger On The Loose In Johannesburg (Pictures) by Okortor: 11:45am On Jan 19, 2023
That's the guts we talking about.

Same way I killed a pitbull that attacked me few years back.

When you are strong, you are strong!!!!!!!

1 Like

Re: Man Mauled By Tiger On The Loose In Johannesburg (Pictures) by vacanci: 11:45am On Jan 19, 2023
Looks like Boma or Efe of BBNAIJA?
Re: Man Mauled By Tiger On The Loose In Johannesburg (Pictures) by mbahdi(m): 11:45am On Jan 19, 2023
Tinubu happened to him
Re: Man Mauled By Tiger On The Loose In Johannesburg (Pictures) by PellsKodak: 11:46am On Jan 19, 2023
K
Re: Man Mauled By Tiger On The Loose In Johannesburg (Pictures) by Yba7bnajna: 11:46am On Jan 19, 2023
Damn
Re: Man Mauled By Tiger On The Loose In Johannesburg (Pictures) by LaSenior: 11:47am On Jan 19, 2023
cheesy
Re: Man Mauled By Tiger On The Loose In Johannesburg (Pictures) by PellsKodak: 11:47am On Jan 19, 2023
Yba7bnajna:
Damn
If you Don't run
It won't bite u undecided undecided
Re: Man Mauled By Tiger On The Loose In Johannesburg (Pictures) by Vixenn(f): 11:47am On Jan 19, 2023
Thank God for life

Please how do I change my email on nairaland?

Clicked on Edit Profile
Change Email___ but it didn't work
Re: Man Mauled By Tiger On The Loose In Johannesburg (Pictures) by WibusJaga: 11:47am On Jan 19, 2023
He's Lucky to be alive to tell the story.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Man Mauled By Tiger On The Loose In Johannesburg (Pictures) by Sensiblerealist: 11:47am On Jan 19, 2023
Na people dey go carry wahala come house oio
Re: Man Mauled By Tiger On The Loose In Johannesburg (Pictures) by Urheadmaster(m): 11:47am On Jan 19, 2023
Bat is worst than jubril
SUPERPACK:
I blame Tinubu for this
Re: Man Mauled By Tiger On The Loose In Johannesburg (Pictures) by EmmaLege: 11:48am On Jan 19, 2023
cry
Re: Man Mauled By Tiger On The Loose In Johannesburg (Pictures) by tiswell(m): 11:48am On Jan 19, 2023
RiP to him

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Bank Staff Slumps And Dies In Lagos / Soak Alligator Pepper And Bitter Kola In Coconut Water For This Body Body... / Anayo Isaac With Mouth Cancer Blasts Enugu Governor Ugwuanyi For Not Helping Him

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.