Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,019 members, 7,818,020 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:54 AM

Electricity: Sterling Bank Headquarters In Lagos Goes Off-Grid With Solar Panels - Business (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Electricity: Sterling Bank Headquarters In Lagos Goes Off-Grid With Solar Panels (31389 Views)

NUBIFIE Shuts Down Heritage Bank Headquarters In Lagos Over Mass Sack / Prince Arthur Eze Arrives At The Opening Of Zone 13 Police Headquarters In Style / CBN Headquarters In Abuja Currently On Fire! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Electricity: Sterling Bank Headquarters In Lagos Goes Off-Grid With Solar Panels by MrEverest(m): 10:20pm On Jan 19, 2023
GreaterFuture:

Three Questions pls
What Kind of place is the solar running, size of home and Appliances, as well as office size?

What was the initial cost, you may give me a range?

Batteries take as how much space, what's the size or number of batteries, cos I know that's key, storing power and the load of what you are using, having enough power stored and all ...

Also, do you actually never ever use generator , like at all??

For home, you can have 10 panels of 160watts each. That's 1.6kw. 2 big tubular batteries 240ah each. Big inverter and fairly big charge controller. Everything will cost over a million naira including fixing. It powers standing fridge and deep freezer (but you don't put on both same time to conserve energy). Televisions, home theater, decoder, fans, up to ten bulbs, blender etc. During harmattan, it can be on virtually 24/7. At night you leave only standing fans on till morning. Ceiling fans waste more energy. If you must use AC then you should buy inverter AC of 1.5hp. pressing iron draws a lot of energy too but you should buy inverter iron. However, to use both AC and iron effectively, you may have to increase the capacity to at least double of this i.e. 18/20 panels and 4 tubular batteries.

Batteries can't take up so much space if you're living in a 2 or 3 bedroom flat.

For office, it depends on the size. If it's just a single office, only 4 panels of 160w each and inverter battery of 200v can serve it. Then small inverter and small charge controller. Costs around 400k then. It can power basic things like two fans, a television, a decoder, laptop, and 2 bulbs till closing time.

I understand that panels and batteries are more expensive now due to exchange rate.

2 Likes

Re: Electricity: Sterling Bank Headquarters In Lagos Goes Off-Grid With Solar Panels by Elliotwaveforec: 10:31pm On Jan 19, 2023
I dey enjoy my solar panel here sha, thanks to beebeesolar.
Re: Electricity: Sterling Bank Headquarters In Lagos Goes Off-Grid With Solar Panels by leokid866: 11:06pm On Jan 19, 2023
DryMouth:

Those lumec and MTN solar panel are for people that are on a budget, those product don't last. There are really strong and durable solar panels but it cost alot. I've been saving to install in my own apartment
oga lumec is a power company on its own, their partnership with MTN was a low class version they were trying to use to get into more homes and business......they have other bigger sets.....I spent about 1.8M minus 100k for installation......you think it's the small panels that could only power one bulb and fan I will go buy for the whole house.....I had to buy those circular iron rods to hold up the solar panels then used the under as a shed for my gen.....they could not set it well on the roof, make them no go fall die for my hand I told them to install it in the compound.
Re: Electricity: Sterling Bank Headquarters In Lagos Goes Off-Grid With Solar Panels by Marpol: 11:08pm On Jan 19, 2023
leokid866:
I'm not doubting people are installing alternative power in their homes, what I'm doubting is that the solar panel in your brothers house has been working since 2017......I also installed a solar system with invertef from lumec or what do they call themselves around that time, by 2019 it was barely charging the inverter anymore and I had four batteries and six panels.....if I was dependent on the solar system only God know say I no for dey get light......

Once in a while get a mop and bucket of water and clean the panel surface. Dust reduces the efficacy of the panels if left unchecked for a long time.
Re: Electricity: Sterling Bank Headquarters In Lagos Goes Off-Grid With Solar Panels by leokid866: 11:13pm On Jan 19, 2023
Marpol:

Once in a while get a mop and bucket of water and clean the panel surface. Dust reduces the efficacy of the panels if left unchecked for a long time.
I honestly stopped caring after two years and zeroed my mind that I just jumped on the fad of the moment.
Re: Electricity: Sterling Bank Headquarters In Lagos Goes Off-Grid With Solar Panels by Marpol: 11:15pm On Jan 19, 2023
leokid866:
oga lumec is a power company on its own, their partnership with MTN was a low class version they were trying to use to get into more homes and business......they have other bigger sets.....I spent about 1.8M minus 100k for installation......you think it's the small panels that could only power one bulb and fan I will go buy for the whole house.....I had to buy those circular iron rods to hold up the solar panels then used the under as a shed for my gen.....they could not set it well on the roof, make them no go fall die for my hand I told them to install it in the compound.

There are a lot of charlatans posing as if they know what they are doing. You have to research immensely to enjoy solar power in Nigeria. I have been using mine for over 5years now and apart from battery changes, the solar panels have been superb. I just got them cleaned last weekend to maximize my charging.

1 Like

Re: Electricity: Sterling Bank Headquarters In Lagos Goes Off-Grid With Solar Panels by leokid866: 11:19pm On Jan 19, 2023
Marpol:

There are a lot of charlatans posing as if they know what they are doing. You have to research immensely to enjoy solar power in Nigeria. I have been using mine for over 5years now and apart from battery changes, the solar panels have been superb. I just got them cleaned last weekend to maximize my charging.
okay.....
Re: Electricity: Sterling Bank Headquarters In Lagos Goes Off-Grid With Solar Panels by DryMouth: 11:20pm On Jan 19, 2023
leokid866:
You're diversing from the topic.
Tell me how durable the 1.8m panel is?
Re: Electricity: Sterling Bank Headquarters In Lagos Goes Off-Grid With Solar Panels by Kingabia1998(m): 11:26pm On Jan 19, 2023
Rubyjade:
Do you have someone that can help you? If no, my brother can help you with it
How
Re: Electricity: Sterling Bank Headquarters In Lagos Goes Off-Grid With Solar Panels by Marpol: 11:28pm On Jan 19, 2023
DryMouth:

You're diversing from the topic.
Tell me how durable the 1.8m panel is?

Solar panels are very durable. I have 8 panels of 300watts each and they were installed 5years ago. Once I notice a fall in the charge rate I clean the panels. Dust build up on the surface of the panels will reduce charge efficiency.

1 Like

Re: Electricity: Sterling Bank Headquarters In Lagos Goes Off-Grid With Solar Panels by alimiadedayo1: 11:49pm On Jan 19, 2023
tollyboy5:

I'm staying around Ojo Alaba
can you send me your number
Re: Electricity: Sterling Bank Headquarters In Lagos Goes Off-Grid With Solar Panels by tollyboy5(m): 11:55pm On Jan 19, 2023
alimiadedayo1:
Please send me a mail through my profile I'll reply your mail thanks.
Re: Electricity: Sterling Bank Headquarters In Lagos Goes Off-Grid With Solar Panels by tollyboy5(m): 12:09am On Jan 20, 2023
alimiadedayo1:
Check your inbox, I sent you a mail.
Re: Electricity: Sterling Bank Headquarters In Lagos Goes Off-Grid With Solar Panels by Zackattack: 12:50am On Jan 20, 2023
rexel99:

My friend, I don't live on Nairaland or the social media like jobless lots like you do.

Its unfortunate that you have failed to back up your argument with concrete facts. What a pity you are relying on market woman or beer parlour analysis to push forward your argument. You are obviously not abreast with advances in solar technology as regard the durability and lifespan of its quality materials. Am not reffering to the crap lowlifes like you are used to. Never mind I won't blame you, since you spend your whole life on the social media space, you will have little knowledge of what goes on a global scale.

Seems you are wiser than business's that are going are going solar. See the person that does his petty business on Nairaland trying to advise businesses that know what they are doing. Olodo
Why are you insulting that Person now. You've ruined your points with your insult.
Re: Electricity: Sterling Bank Headquarters In Lagos Goes Off-Grid With Solar Panels by Moh247: 3:30am On Jan 20, 2023
KingOfAmebo:

The dude you replied is a confirmed urchin, urchins are brainless, they lack the capacity to think for themselves, always quick to comment and end up spewing garbage just because they want to be heard, we have a handful of them here on nairaland...grin grin grin

Go through the comments of any of the below urchin and see exactly what I am talking about, they never disappoint...grin grin grin it's like they are programmed to always say rubbish....grin grin grin

NAIRALAND RESIDENTIAL URCHINS:

lhordspy
FreeStuffsNG
Abdul05
drlateef
satan06
DevilAdvocate
I8Xtians
PandoraObi
heliues
omenkaLives
omenka
LeoDeKing
Ayamed
seunmsg
sarrki

TheChameleon
OsunOriginal
ATLIEN2027
Moh247
KingKO22
ItsTutsi
Zulum500
ASAPFERG
yarimo
JAMO84
JoshTim
TheNiceGuy
KingKO22
drlateef
Pakute
Adaisback
LegendHero
Banbutton
Thinkam
ipobarecriminals
Officialgarri
Cromagnon
BATified2023
Softmirror
ifihearam
Godispeace
SWATMan
Peepydelano
Madridguy
igbotormentor
Okealaaye
Mccullum
idealogical
Honourable1901
CoronaVirusRelo
Zulum500
Praktikals
undisputedKOC
burp18
Ireportlive
leokid866
assholemods
Pandev
brainpulse
GeneralPula
JAMO84
Obaofaba
idealogical
KingKO22
peepydelano

The below quote clearly defines urchins:

“Many are destined to reason wrongly, others not to reason at all and some to persecute those who do reason" - Voltaire

You don tire?!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Electricity: Sterling Bank Headquarters In Lagos Goes Off-Grid With Solar Panels by Rubyjade: 6:16am On Jan 20, 2023
Kingabia1998:

How
He can help you purchase and install it
Re: Electricity: Sterling Bank Headquarters In Lagos Goes Off-Grid With Solar Panels by maasoap(m): 9:10am On Jan 20, 2023
ATLIEN2027:

Windmill is more expensive and you need constant wind. There's a better chance of more sunlight than wind in most parts of Nigeria.

Wind is needed mostly during the day just like sun for solar panels. The major hindrance is cost.
Re: Electricity: Sterling Bank Headquarters In Lagos Goes Off-Grid With Solar Panels by Decentlyproud(m): 2:07pm On Jan 20, 2023
What's the difference between Gel and tubular batteries?..which better in terms of durability? And reliable brands.
Re: Electricity: Sterling Bank Headquarters In Lagos Goes Off-Grid With Solar Panels by Jennynexx22: 3:45pm On Jan 20, 2023
Rubyjade:
I don't subscribe to pure sine wave. Go for hybrid inverter

What gibberish is this?
You don't subscribe to pure sine wave inverters? shocked shocked shocked
And what has hybrid (type) got to do with sine wave(electrical waveform) ?

1 Like

Re: Electricity: Sterling Bank Headquarters In Lagos Goes Off-Grid With Solar Panels by Jennynexx22: 3:57pm On Jan 20, 2023
MrEverest:

For home, you can have 10 panels of 160watts each. That's 1.6kw. 2 big tubular batteries 240ah each. Big inverter and fairly big charge controller. Everything will cost over a million naira including fixing. It powers standing fridge and deep freezer (but you don't put on both same time to conserve energy). Televisions, home theater, decoder, fans, up to ten bulbs, blender etc. During harmattan, it can be on virtually 24/7. At night you leave only standing fans on till morning. Ceiling fans waste more energy. If you must use AC then you should buy inverter AC of 1.5hp. pressing iron draws a lot of energy too but you should buy inverter iron. However, to use both AC and iron effectively, you may have to increase the capacity to at least double of this i.e. 18/20 panels and 4 tubular batteries.

Batteries can't take up so much space if you're living in a 2 or 3 bedroom flat.

For office, it depends on the size. If it's just a single office, only 4 panels of 160w each and inverter battery of 200v can serve it. Then small inverter and small charge controller. Costs around 400k then. It can power basic things like two fans, a television, a decoder, laptop, and 2 bulbs till closing time.

I understand that panels and batteries are more expensive now due to exchange rate.

20 x 160 w panels not enough for a/c load carrying.
In fact, an average home needs about 20 x160w to run the home uninterrupted, unless you want to be turning off some things, while others are turned on.
If you make it 10kw panels, you can run a/c and freeze to death if you like
If u can run a/cs at night would depend on battery size.
Its simple maths, available battery power divided by load = hours online.

2 Likes

Re: Electricity: Sterling Bank Headquarters In Lagos Goes Off-Grid With Solar Panels by Jennynexx22: 3:58pm On Jan 20, 2023
leokid866:

Lies.
Re: Electricity: Sterling Bank Headquarters In Lagos Goes Off-Grid With Solar Panels by Jennynexx22: 4:03pm On Jan 20, 2023
Decentlyproud:
What's the difference between Gel and tubular batteries?..which better in terms of durability? And reliable brands.

Both belong to the same lead-acid chemistry
Gel, AGM are maintenance free until they die, as they are dry cells.
Tubular require electrolyte top-up since they are wet-cells everynow and then. Who has time for that?
Lithium is better than both, but way more expensive and riskier. Can burn down ur house if you joke with it.

1 Like

Re: Electricity: Sterling Bank Headquarters In Lagos Goes Off-Grid With Solar Panels by Rubyjade: 12:49am On Jan 21, 2023
undecided
Jennynexx22:

What gibberish is this?
You don't subscribe to pure sine wave inverters? shocked shocked shocked
And what has hybrid (type) got to do with sine wave(electrical waveform) ?
Re: Electricity: Sterling Bank Headquarters In Lagos Goes Off-Grid With Solar Panels by Rubyjade: 12:51am On Jan 21, 2023
Decentlyproud:
Lithium is the best but expensive

1 Like

Re: Electricity: Sterling Bank Headquarters In Lagos Goes Off-Grid With Solar Panels by MrEverest(m): 10:48am On Jan 21, 2023
Jennynexx22:

20 x 160 w panels not enough for a/c load carrying.
In fact, an average home needs about 20 x160w to run the home uninterrupted, unless you want to be turning off some things, while others are turned on.
If you make it 10kw panels, you can run a/c and freeze to death if you like
If u can run a/cs at night would depend on battery size.
Its simple maths, available battery power divided by load = hours online.

20 solar panels of 160w can easily power AC alongside other appliances in the home.

20 x 160w = 3200w or 3.2kw.

You will buy an inverter AC, they have power input of 1.2kw.

1.6kw is enough to power every other household appliance comfortably such as freezers, televisions, fans, bulbs, blenders etc. Electric cooker and pressing iron draw lots of energy and should be avoided but you can buy inverter pressing iron, it's manageable. Also ensure that all your appliances are brand new or inverter for appliances like fridge, AC, Iron etc. You don't make use of second hand imported appliances that are not energy smart.

Of course, nobody abuses solar system energy supply. So, you only put on appliances when they're necessary. For instance, you don't leave television on when no one is watching it or keep freezers on when it's already fully iced. At night you switch off all appliances not in use and leave only the AC or fan. Again, you don't use several high input ratings at the same time. E.g you shouldn't use AC, fridge and blender all running at once otherwise they will overstretch your battery.

I have used solar system for many years so I'm talking from experience.

1 Like

Re: Electricity: Sterling Bank Headquarters In Lagos Goes Off-Grid With Solar Panels by MrEverest(m): 10:57am On Jan 21, 2023
Jennynexx22:

Both belong to the same lead-acid chemistry
Gel, AGM are maintenance free until they die, as they are dry cells.
Tubular require electrolyte top-up since they are wet-cells everynow and then. Who has time for that?
Lithium is better than both, but way more expensive and riskier. Can burn down ur house if you joke with it.

I switched to tubular batteries two years ago and haven't topped up the electrolyte even though I have it standby. The indicator is still on the green side. It's not like you change it every week.
Re: Electricity: Sterling Bank Headquarters In Lagos Goes Off-Grid With Solar Panels by Jennynexx22: 12:16pm On Jan 21, 2023
MrEverest:

I have used solar system for many years so I'm talking from experience.

And me? I don't speak from experience right? 3.2kwp panels will not give you 3.2kwp on the dot in terms of power
YOu're just doing divide and minus. Energy calculations don't work like that sir.
Have you calculated for inefficiencies * 0.7? Energy Losses? Power factor of 0.8 ? Insolation?
You'd be suprised that 3.2kwp will only deliver 2k+ish power at the battery terminals.
Minus 1.2kwp from that and one slight cloud cover that last for a couple of mins; and your battery is in soup.
You were just quick to respond. I said an `average home`. Why do i have to turn off the fridge/ac because i want to blend? Haba
if you want to do off this, to use that, then after using this, off it, and on that. it's shitty
An average home doesn't turn off the a/c or freezer just to blend. or turn off the freezer to use the washing machine. That's what i meant.

1 Like

Re: Electricity: Sterling Bank Headquarters In Lagos Goes Off-Grid With Solar Panels by Jennynexx22: 12:19pm On Jan 21, 2023
MrEverest:

I switched to tubular batteries two years ago and haven't topped up the electrolyte even though I have it standby. The indicator is still on the green side. It's not like you change it every week.

I never mentioned everyweek; besides you having them for 2 yrs don't mean they are better and should be recommended.
I had 16x AGMs for 5 years, yeah u head right, 5 yrs in one bank; before a few of them started showing signs of degradation; so the whole pack had to vamoose.
Re: Electricity: Sterling Bank Headquarters In Lagos Goes Off-Grid With Solar Panels by Jennynexx22: 12:28pm On Jan 21, 2023
Rubyjade:
undecided

You said in summary "dump pure sine wave inverters, go for hybrids"
Aren't you aware that "pure sine" is a type of electrical waveform and thus, even hybrid inverters can be pure sine wave; or modified sine wave (a cheaper and worse alternative to pure sine wave) ?
I am even yet to see a hybrid that is modified sine?
Arent you aware that a hybrid inverter is simply an inverter + charge controller together in one? Instead of having to buy 2 separate units? thus the word "hybrid" as against "off-grid" or even "grid-tie"
you were just mixing terminologies you don't even understand.

1 Like

Re: Electricity: Sterling Bank Headquarters In Lagos Goes Off-Grid With Solar Panels by GreaterFuture(m): 3:27pm On Jan 26, 2023
MrEverest:

Ok.... For the first part, I would want something that powers all devices at all time, not doing permutation combination calculation, so as to manage energy....

For the batteries space, what if it's a duplex with boys quarters, duplex with up to 5 rooms. And say a few Shops... What's the battery space gonna be. NOTE: You wanna have power full power 24/7 without having to calculate what to On or Put off?

(Sorry for the late reply)
Re: Electricity: Sterling Bank Headquarters In Lagos Goes Off-Grid With Solar Panels by Trippledots(m): 11:36pm On Jan 31, 2023
leokid866:
I honestly stopped caring after two years and zeroed my mind that I just jumped on the fad of the moment.

6 panels for 4 batteries, I have feeling youe installation was not well designed from scratch. Solar works.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

How Do I Start Recharge Card Printing / Make Some Cool Cash On EPL (second Half Substitution) / 15 Lucrative Business Students Can Do On School Campus To Make Money

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.