Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,602 members, 7,820,153 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 10:35 AM

How Did You Succeed As A Developer/programmer? - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / How Did You Succeed As A Developer/programmer? (936 Views)

For Developers, How Did You Get Your First Remote Job And What Was The Pay. / In Need Of An Android Developer (programmer ) / A Web Developer/programmer And Web Designer Needed In Enugu Urgently (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Did You Succeed As A Developer/programmer? by Edipet(m): 12:23am On Jan 20, 2023
Please tell us how you succeeded as a developer/programer.

This includes:
° Path taken;
• languages /Technologies learned;
~ sacrifice made;
And,
How did you overcome:
-Frustration;
-Depression (if any);
-Confusions; on which gig and language to to learn first
And finally:
-Wasted effort: if you wasted your Time learning what you shouldn't have.
-your regret: like making a wrong choice of language or stuffs like that.

Then your greatest motivation: ??

Please you can quote a developer you know on nairaland if the are not commenting.
Re: How Did You Succeed As A Developer/programmer? by Maxxim: 9:04am On Jan 20, 2023
Re: How Did You Succeed As A Developer/programmer? by Anonime1105(m): 3:55pm On Jan 20, 2023
Re: How Did You Succeed As A Developer/programmer? by Nickisindigo(m): 10:00am On Jan 21, 2023
I have an idea of creating a podcast to interview devs who are 1+ into their jobs
Re: How Did You Succeed As A Developer/programmer? by Maclink288: 5:53am On Jan 22, 2023
Any developer/designer that can overcome frustration, have increase their chances of success by 50%

1 Like

Re: How Did You Succeed As A Developer/programmer? by stanliwise(m): 8:21am On Jan 23, 2023
I simply became more pragmatic and realistic with my expectations and the deal breaker for me is that I went ahead to explore how things actually work in real life. Lol and behold it was different from what I had in mind
Re: How Did You Succeed As A Developer/programmer? by Maxxim: 9:29am On Jan 23, 2023
stanliwise:
I simply became more pragmatic and realistic with my expectations and the deal breaker for me is that I went ahead to explore how things actually work in real life. Lol and behold it was different from what I had in mind
Can you give an example of this, might be a summary

1 Like

Re: How Did You Succeed As A Developer/programmer? by stanliwise(m): 7:07pm On Jan 24, 2023
Maxxim:

Can you give an example of this, might be a summary
To develop a personal project for personal use vs to develop project that are useful to others outside yourself is a totally different ball game.

Also the way software developed, good software are developed through collaboration and iterative development rather than staying in a fortress and single handedly crafting Magics.

Also learning part of a skill that translate to immediate value as per you can use it to do something for someone is far better approach to other form of learning. This time you don’t choose just what to learn but you learn just what you need to get the job done.
That part of getting the job done learning is the hardest part, because you will be forced to be pragmatic with your learning.

Be value driven is the summary of all I am trying to say

6 Likes

Re: How Did You Succeed As A Developer/programmer? by dauddy97(m): 10:02pm On Jan 24, 2023
I learn and i teach others

2 Likes

Re: How Did You Succeed As A Developer/programmer? by LUAN(m): 10:42pm On Jan 24, 2023
Good, what about how to overcome frustration
Re: How Did You Succeed As A Developer/programmer? by Maxxim: 10:49am On Jan 25, 2023
stanliwise:

To develop a personal project for personal use vs to develop project that are useful to others outside yourself is a totally different ball game.

Also the way software developed, good software are developed through collaboration and iterative development rather than staying in a fortress and single handedly crafting Magics.

Also learning part of a skill that translate to immediate value as per you can use it to do something for someone is far better approach to other form of learning. This time you don’t choose just what to learn but you learn just what you need to get the job done.
That part of getting the job done learning is the hardest part, because you will be forced to be pragmatic with your learning.

Be value driven is the summary of all I am trying to say
I get, thanks for sharing.
But when it comes to developing some projects going solo, I'll like to believe there are exceptions right.
And the later has to be one of the greatest hack to have learned, thanks 😊
Re: How Did You Succeed As A Developer/programmer? by Millerules(m): 11:43am On Jan 25, 2023
Leaving passion aside and making money the primary motivation. Think business, not the tech.

For starters, when choosing what to build for portfolio projects, choose something marketable and useful for other users. Something they would want to pay for to use (premium or freemium) and target the US market. Sincerely some $100/$200 monthly from couple of apps will keep you motivated while you prepare the big guns.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Did You Succeed As A Developer/programmer? by LikeAking: 1:56pm On Jan 25, 2023
Op forget about getting any concrete info..

It's obvious mostof us here are facing d same dilemma...
Re: How Did You Succeed As A Developer/programmer? by qtguru(m): 3:02pm On Jan 25, 2023
Please tell us how you succeeded as a developer/programer.

This includes:
° Path taken [Freelance, Remote work and personal consultation]
• languages /Technologies learned; [JS/TS/ Dart/Java,C]
~ sacrifice made [Social Hangouts, Events, Studying everyday, Hardware]
And,
How did you overcome:
-Frustration [Patience, Networking, Joining Community, LinkedIn, Exercise, Referrals]
-Depression (if any); [Mega Depression but learnt not to compare myself with others. GREATIGBOMAN might be great at Java doesn't mean I have to, choose what works for you ]
-Confusions; [Reading the whole book vs reading enough to start, Over-information, Analysis Paralysis of stack and framework to choose, Stack Path]
And finally:
-Wasted effort: [Not Wasted effort but the wrong approach, I'm the type to over-read topics instead of focusing on the needed topic to know]
-your regret: [None]

Then your greatest motivation: [Feedback, Support from Colleagues/Friends and Family]

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Did You Succeed As A Developer/programmer? by qtguru(m): 3:04pm On Jan 25, 2023
Millerules:
Leaving passion aside and making money the primary motivation. Think business, not the tech.

For starters, when choosing what to build for portfolio projects, choose something marketable and useful for other users. Something they would want to pay for to use (premium or freemium) and target the US market. Sincerely some $100/$200 monthly from couple of apps will keep you motivated while you prepare the big guns.

Agree

1 Like

Re: How Did You Succeed As A Developer/programmer? by stanliwise(m): 3:59pm On Jan 25, 2023
Maxxim:

I get, thanks for sharing.
But when it comes to developing some projects going solo, I'll like to believe there are exceptions right.
And the later has to be one of the greatest hack to have learned, thanks 😊
A solo project will look solo that is all. You can’t go solo and build Google search engine

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (Reply)

Ur Advice / Sql 2000 Need Help / Receipts With Asp.net

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.