Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,713 members, 7,820,494 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 03:53 PM

Ovie Of Otuo: Comrade Oshiomhole We Know You, We Will Deliver You - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ovie Of Otuo: Comrade Oshiomhole We Know You, We Will Deliver You (7050 Views)

Oshiomhole: We Must Return Edo To APC For Sustainable Development / Oshiomhole: We Won’t Lose Edo State If Obaseki Leaves APC / INEC Replies Oshiomhole: We Obeyed Supreme Court On Bayelsa Like We Did On Imo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ovie Of Otuo: Comrade Oshiomhole We Know You, We Will Deliver You by Primusinterpares(m): 9:02am On Jan 20, 2023
Only you go deliver am...

#midwifeoviee
Re: Ovie Of Otuo: Comrade Oshiomhole We Know You, We Will Deliver You by techWriter3: 9:10am On Jan 20, 2023
Oshiomole ieds a rugged basis man
Re: Ovie Of Otuo: Comrade Oshiomhole We Know You, We Will Deliver You by hollywater: 9:11am On Jan 20, 2023
Chelseanababa:
Omo see English...
Professor are you buying petrol cheaper than me?
Re: Ovie Of Otuo: Comrade Oshiomhole We Know You, We Will Deliver You by Seekhimnow: 9:13am On Jan 20, 2023
Definitely Osho baba will win his Senate seat.
Re: Ovie Of Otuo: Comrade Oshiomhole We Know You, We Will Deliver You by AutomaticMotors: 9:19am On Jan 20, 2023
Efewestern:

Oba is no way Edoid, has no root whatsoever.

SPEAK ONLY ON WHAT YOU KNOW AND WITHIN YOUR BOUNDARIES!!!
Re: Ovie Of Otuo: Comrade Oshiomhole We Know You, We Will Deliver You by AutomaticMotors: 9:20am On Jan 20, 2023
Efewestern:

Urhobo/Isoko being the largest

Lol!! Your Ogogoro is weighting heavy on your brain better rest!! And stop dragging isoko into your muddy embrace they stand alone and separate!!
Re: Ovie Of Otuo: Comrade Oshiomhole We Know You, We Will Deliver You by Indispensable85(m): 9:20am On Jan 20, 2023
OkoRemi2023:
in that Edo state North, there is still going to be another senatorial election because OShiomole is needed in Tinubu's cabinet

Absolutely
Re: Ovie Of Otuo: Comrade Oshiomhole We Know You, We Will Deliver You by Indispensable85(m): 9:22am On Jan 20, 2023
Only fools will doubt oshiomole's victory in Edo north. He'll sweep all the LGA there. If you're not from Edo State and you don't know the politics of the State just shut up.
Re: Ovie Of Otuo: Comrade Oshiomhole We Know You, We Will Deliver You by Light78: 9:26am On Jan 20, 2023
Impregnable101:
Oshiomole is the loved politician in Edo state. Way better than the effigy we have as governor now. Our anger with him is, since he joined the party that has brought untold hardship to Nigerians, he became something else. You can't act God to the average Edo man. We don't need a political jugganut who will be telling us who to vote for and who not to vote for

You people forget things quick in this country. You forgot how he was when APC was ruling in 2015 -2019 when he was the chairman.

I just hate the way some Nigerians reason. Too easy to deceive.
Re: Ovie Of Otuo: Comrade Oshiomhole We Know You, We Will Deliver You by Efewestern: 9:37am On Jan 20, 2023
AutomaticMotors:

Lol!! Your Ogogoro is weighting heavy on your brain better rest!! And stop dragging isoko into your muddy embrace they stand alone and separate!!

No name calling bro. What I stated is fact. The Urhobos had the largest population in Midwest/Bendel. Having more population than almost all other sub-edoid group put together.
Re: Ovie Of Otuo: Comrade Oshiomhole We Know You, We Will Deliver You by garfield1: 9:40am On Jan 20, 2023
Efewestern:

Ovie is an Edoid word. Most Edoid related group use Ogie. Urhobo/Isoko being the largest popularized the world that doesn't mean other group doesn't make use of it.

Oba is no way Edoid, has no root whatsoever. Ogie/Ovie means leader/head/king.

Ibori has endorsed Joel thomas
Re: Ovie Of Otuo: Comrade Oshiomhole We Know You, We Will Deliver You by garfield1: 9:42am On Jan 20, 2023
Efewestern:

No name calling bro. What I stated is fact. The Urhobos had the largest population in Midwest/Bendel. Having more population than almost all other sub-edoid group put together.

Delta igbos are the largest
Re: Ovie Of Otuo: Comrade Oshiomhole We Know You, We Will Deliver You by Efewestern: 9:43am On Jan 20, 2023
AutomaticMotors:

SPEAK ONLY ON WHAT YOU KNOW AND WITHIN YOUR BOUNDARIES!!!

Perhaps you should educate me.

Why aren't there any trace of Oba in other edoid languages? Why is Ogie more prominent in almost all edoid languages but not Oba? In what way is Oba edoid?

You should also note that all sub-edoid group one way or the other retained some archaic edoid words but I haven't seen one making use of Oba.

3 Likes

Re: Ovie Of Otuo: Comrade Oshiomhole We Know You, We Will Deliver You by Skyehigher1: 10:19am On Jan 20, 2023
OkoRemi2023:
in that Edo state North, there is still going to be another senatorial election because OShiomole is needed in Tinubu's cabinet
yeah I second you he supposed to be the minister of labour and employment yes I see it unless he will nominated his alley isa aremu or either
Re: Ovie Of Otuo: Comrade Oshiomhole We Know You, We Will Deliver You by Sonnobax15(m): 10:21am On Jan 20, 2023
garfield1:

Delta igbos are the largest
grin just imagine...how can you say Delta igbo that has only few local government areas has a higher population that delta central(urhobo) that has 8? angry
Re: Ovie Of Otuo: Comrade Oshiomhole We Know You, We Will Deliver You by KosiGee(m): 10:32am On Jan 20, 2023
hollywater:
OSHIOMOLE is no long irrelevant in Edo state politics like before. Obaseki and Edo Youths have retire him.

What are you saying?

He is no longer ‘irrelevant’ or he is no longer ‘relevant’??
Re: Ovie Of Otuo: Comrade Oshiomhole We Know You, We Will Deliver You by Efewestern: 10:43am On Jan 20, 2023
garfield1:

Ibori has endorsed Joel thomas

I'm beginning to think he has a chance of winning. He was also endorsed by some Ijaw chiefs some weeks back.

He just need to secure his home front and get atleast half of Ijaw support.
Re: Ovie Of Otuo: Comrade Oshiomhole We Know You, We Will Deliver You by garfield1: 11:08am On Jan 20, 2023
Efewestern:

I'm beginning to think he has a chance of winning. He was also endorsed by some Ijaw chiefs some weeks back.

He just need to secure his home front and get atleast half of Ijaw support.

Esp now that they will be no elections in warri
Re: Ovie Of Otuo: Comrade Oshiomhole We Know You, We Will Deliver You by Impregnable101: 11:24am On Jan 20, 2023
Light78:

You people forget things quick in this country. You forgot how he was when APC was ruling in 2015 -2019 when he was the chairman.

I just hate the way some Nigerians reason. Too easy to deceive.
What are you even saying now? Talk to me in clear terms let's discuss as men
Re: Ovie Of Otuo: Comrade Oshiomhole We Know You, We Will Deliver You by fratermathy(m): 12:14pm On Jan 20, 2023
Sonnobax15:
grin just imagine...how can you say Delta igbo that has only few local government areas has a higher population that delta central(urhobo) that has 8? angry

If you think of Delta Igbo as the Igboid groups in Delta North, they actually have more local governments than Delta Central. Although this does not translate into having a greater population - reason being that local governments are sometimes created along ethnic lines rather than along population sizes. So, Delta North can have more local government areas in order to account for Ndokwa, Ika, and Enuani peoples who have been lumped into one district. Interestingly though, there are Urhobos in Delta South as well.

Can we authoritatively say Urhobos are larger than Delta Igbos? Not really. But if we break the Igboid groups into their smaller ethnic units, then the Urhobos are definitely larger.
Re: Ovie Of Otuo: Comrade Oshiomhole We Know You, We Will Deliver You by AutomaticMotors: 1:25am On Jan 29, 2023
Efewestern:

Why aren't there any trace of Oba in other edoid languages? Why is Ogie more prominent in almost all edoid languages but not Oba? In what way is Oba edoid?

You should also note that all sub-edoid group one way or the other retained some archaic edoid words but I haven't seen one making use of Oba.

On the surface it will appear the Benin borrowed the word from the Yorubas because of its wide used by them and their bigger population, but the fact is no Yoruba traditional ruler used the Oba title until the 1900s. Under British colonial rule the most senior Yoruba rulers such as the Ooni and Alaafin used the title Sir, so what you have is Sir Adebola Ademola, the Ooni of Ife, it was later they started using Oba.

The Benin have been using the Oba title for almost 1000 years with the European having written records of the last 600 years of it used by the Benin.

How can a tribe that have been using a word and title for almost 1000 years with almost 600 years of documented records borrowed it from a tribe that recently started using it.
Re: Ovie Of Otuo: Comrade Oshiomhole We Know You, We Will Deliver You by Efewestern: 4:54am On Jan 29, 2023
AutomaticMotors:

On the surface it will appear the Benin borrowed the word from the Yorubas because of its wide used by them and their bigger population, but the fact is no Yoruba traditional ruler used the Oba title until the 1900s. Under British colonial rule the most senior Yoruba rulers such as the Ooni and Alaafin used the title Sir, so what you have is Sir Adebola Ademola, the Ooni of Ife, it was later they started using Oba.

The Benin have been using the Oba title for almost 1000 years with the European having written records of the last 600 years of it used by the Benin.

How can a tribe that have been using a word and title for almost 1000 years with almost 600 years of documented records borrowed it from a tribe that recently started using it.

Linguistically, it's impossible for a language not to borrow words from other group. I'm not arguing on the ground of supremacism but common sense and logic.

Just 700 years ago, some Edoid groups standing alone today were still together with the parent Bini group. Mass migration only started around 12000-13000. Even at that, almost all edoid groups retained one form of the archaic Edoid language and "Oba" hasn't been found in any of them.

There are some words I can argue that belongs to the Edoid languages and "Omo" is one of them. Without stressing yourself, you could easily see how almost all edoid groups who had zero contacts with Yoruba make use of it.

Ogie on the other hand is visible in all Edoid languages. Meaning Ogie was once used before the massive migrations. Even yoruboid groups influenced by Bini still uses Ogie. EG, Itsekiri calls their Olu Ogi(e)Ame = King of Water.

If Oba was used by Bini for 1000years, why doesn't it have a trace in other group of languages?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ovie Of Otuo: Comrade Oshiomhole We Know You, We Will Deliver You by Thebadpolitican(m): 12:38pm On Feb 05, 2023
Efewestern:

Ovie is an Edoid word. Most Edoid related group use Ogie. Urhobo/Isoko being the largest popularized the word that doesn't mean other group doesn't make use of it.

Oba is no way Edoid, has no root whatsoever. Ogie/Ovie means leader/head/king.

Who said oba edoid undecided
Re: Ovie Of Otuo: Comrade Oshiomhole We Know You, We Will Deliver You by famouscargo4u: 12:40pm On Feb 05, 2023
gasparpisciotta:
What about Asiwaju?

Hope they will deliver to him too..,,

If they vote Adams oshiomole, they are voting Tinubu by extension since the election is holding same day.
Re: Ovie Of Otuo: Comrade Oshiomhole We Know You, We Will Deliver You by Thebadpolitican(m): 12:41pm On Feb 05, 2023
urbobo20:
How comes they are using Ovie instead of oba in edo north . I thought Ovie is been used by urhobo and isoko alone. Though I know we urhobo migrated from Edo

Oba is the head title

Ovie, ogie and others means Duke or chiefs

Ogie : means servant

1 Like

Re: Ovie Of Otuo: Comrade Oshiomhole We Know You, We Will Deliver You by Thebadpolitican(m): 12:54pm On Feb 05, 2023
Efewestern:

Because you can't find the title sultan in every Northern state apart from sokoto you get

Dukes are called enogie and are called servant
Of the oba they are like governors they can't bear the title oba

Just like you are saying why is everyone holding a political position not called president

You can find the word oba in every yoruba kings title because they decide to do so in 1930 the ooni of ife started it and the rest yoruba monarchy followed

They ooni made the move to elevate and get the recognition as the oba of benin in the then western region but fortunately other yorubas followed suit, other Nigeria could have followed the trend but they choose not to

The word oba is edo a d the world ogie full meaning is enogie and it means servant of the oba

It was very offensive saying oba was not an edo word

If you know the influence the Benin had over the enter yoruba areas before the British brought down the empire you should know why the world oba is prominent there

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (Reply)

Rawlings: Yar’adua Prevented Kuffuor From Rigging Ghana’s Polls / PDP Governorship Ticket: OBJ Loses Again. / History And The Future Of Decree 34 Of 1966!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.