Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,662 members, 7,955,396 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 03:13 AM

Rawlings: Yar’adua Prevented Kuffuor From Rigging Ghana’s Polls - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Rawlings: Yar’adua Prevented Kuffuor From Rigging Ghana’s Polls (7174 Views)

Buhari Prevented From Meeting Pope Francis After Late Arrival / Anambra Elections: We Can Stop Obi From Rigging-in Obiano(1) / Rawlings: Yar’adua Prevented Kuffuor From Rigging Ghana’s Polls (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Rawlings: Yar’adua Prevented Kuffuor From Rigging Ghana’s Polls by mbulela: 2:55am On Aug 02, 2009
By Collins Edomaruse, 08.02.2009

Six months after the last presidential election in Ghana, the country’s former leader, Jerry Rawlings, has credited the success of the poll to President Umaru Musa Yar’Adua’s persistent pressure on former president John Kuffuor of Ghana to allow the electoral commission declare the authentic winner.
Rawlings in an interview published in a Weekly newspaper, THE GHANAIAN DEMOCRAT, of July 8 -15, said: “By the way, we claim to be the ‘Gateway’ but don’t be surprised if Nigeria ends up as the destination, as they claim. It is important to keep in mind that it was partly Nigeria’s intervention under President Yar’Adua’s leadership that pulled the plug on Kuffuor and Nana Addo’s intended adventure; not the Western powers, some of whom urged on the NPP’s electoral fraud and theft in 2004. But for General Sarki Muktar (Yar‘Adua’s National Security Adviser)’s timely visit, we may very well be mourning and licking our wounds by now”.
The last December’s election in the country was running into some hitches after a clear winner did not emerge between the candidate of the then ruling party, Nana Addo and the opposition party’s candidate, Prof. John Atta-Mills after the first ballot. This warranted a run-off that saw the latter emerging victorious.
THISDAY checks at the diplomatic circle revealed at the weekend that after the first ballot and there were fears that crisis was looming with the two leading parties accusing each other of electoral malpractices, Yar’Adua who feared that it would be catastrophic if Ghana’s democratic process was disrupted in any manner immediately commenced diplomatic moves to stem the tide.
A top diplomat, who was involved in the negotiations said the world may never realise the “intense but quiet diplomacy” adopted by Yar’Adua to ensure the wishes of Ghanaian electorate were respected.
The source further said: “Even though Yar’Adua was neutral, he initially had sympathy for Nana Addo, John Kufour’s candidate for the election but after the first ballot, which Addo won narrowly, Yar’Adua, who had sent Muktah as a roving special emissary, got reports that the first ballot was marred by malpractices.
“He also got reports that Kuffuor’s candidate, Addo, notwithstanding his earlier marginal lead, would find it difficult to win the run-off without manipulation by Kuffuor, who was determined to install his successor,” the source said.
Speaking on the stunt Yar’Adua pulled on Kuffuor with whom he maintains a strong personal relationship, the source said: “The President invited Kufur to Abuja where he pleaded with him to allow a free and fair process so that he would not leave the country he had governed so well in crisis.”
THISDAY further gathered that having sensed the “genuine” intermediary role of the Nigerian leader in the poll, Ghana’s opposition community jumped into the boat to urge him on.
“When the Ghanaian opposition led by Rawlings (whose former deputy, Atta-Mills was the candidate) saw the genuine intermediary role Yar’Adua was playing, they reached out to him on the eve of the election run-off when it had become almost clear that Atta-Mills would win and there were plans to rig the election for Addo since the polls were very close.
“It was at this point Yar’Adua again sent the NSA again to Kuffuor, who gave his word that he would not tamper with the polls. And he kept his word,” the source added.
In December 2008, 8.2 million Ghanaians went to the polls to elect a president and members of parliament. The four major political parties contested the elections vigorously through massive grassroots efforts and voter registration campaigns. The candidate of the National Democratic Congress, Professor John Atta-Mills, defeated former President Kuffuor’s candidate, Addo, by a razor thin margin in a run-off election. Kuffuor not only conceded defeat gracefully, he also cordially congratulated the president-elect and attended the swearing-in ceremony. Ghanaian voters also threw out of office well-known incumbent parliamentarians from the four major parties who had taken them for granted. In the end, all of the opposition parties accepted the results of the election as determined by Ghana’s Electoral Commission.
Re: Rawlings: Yar’adua Prevented Kuffuor From Rigging Ghana’s Polls by mbulela: 2:55am On Aug 02, 2009
i don't know whether to cry or to laugh.
Re: Rawlings: Yar’adua Prevented Kuffuor From Rigging Ghana’s Polls by Onlytruth(m): 3:05am On Aug 02, 2009
I dey laff already, because according to Fela, "man no fit cry!"
Re: Rawlings: Yar’adua Prevented Kuffuor From Rigging Ghana’s Polls by naijamini(m): 3:46am On Aug 02, 2009
This post reminds me of the discussion on the topic "Why Obama is visiting Ghana and not Nigeria". Now that the visit is over it seems we all missed the point of his visit, perhaps because he hid so well behind that "regional and bilateral" cooperation talk. The purpose of his visit was actually for the African-American constituency here in America to bring to the fore the fact that the slave trade was of equal magnitude on the scale of evil, or even worse, as the holocaust. Before anyone begins to jump to any conclusions this is actually one of the important things Obama has done for the A-A community so far - he is a genius - but I digress.

My main point here is that during the above discussion I had defended Nigeria on the basis of her footprint on the African continent, alluding to the fact that Nigeria was instrumental in ensuring that the same election being portrayed by some as the "best thing since sliced bread" did not degenerate into chaos. Confirmation could not have come from a better horse's mouth than Rawlings himself.

The pity is that it takes outsiders to tell the truth of their own situation before we realize the good that Nigeria represents in Africa. We need to start holding the country Nigeria dear, while vehemently opposed to bad leadership. As the Yorubas would say: "There is at least one day for a bad kid to be the pride of his/her parents".

'Debo
Re: Rawlings: Yar’adua Prevented Kuffuor From Rigging Ghana’s Polls by nex(m): 12:43pm On Aug 02, 2009
I know that Yar'Adua personally would not come out for second term after seeing how the elections of his first term were. But if he decides not to contest in the 2011 Presidential Elections, then anybody that tries to rig or engage in electoral violence, Boko Haram shall be their portion.

Nigeria has done a lot to maintain peace and stability in the West African region, Nigeria has embarked on a mission which will see it single-handedly truncate the Third Term Agenda of the President of Niger. Though I think the more we help others, the more we forget to help ourselves.
Re: Rawlings: Yar’adua Prevented Kuffuor From Rigging Ghana’s Polls by Bennyboy11: 2:19pm On Aug 02, 2009
Jerry Rawlings is one of the most deluded individuals in Africa. He has a completely over rated impression of himself and has trully gone past his sell by date. It is common knowledge in Ghana that he is not mentally all there, and is on medication hence his gaining as much weight as he has in recent times. He really should not be taken seriously. The most ridiculuous thing I ever heard from him along with with his current nonsense, was the fact that President Kuffour was killing people in Ghana. He actually came to the uk holding semininars and spreading such outrageous stories about the kuffour government which lost him respect in civilised quarters.

I mean lets face it how stupid is the above story? How can Nigeria a country that is yet to host an election the quality of what we have come to take for granted in Ghana, take any credit for our current achievements? An African Government in power losing an election to the opposition with around 40,000 votes and not a drop of blood spilt in the process. This is trully the best thing since sliced bread and Nigeria in my opinion is between 50 and 100 years away from achieving that

Ghana has achieved political maturity and are the true Giants of Africa. Democracy has trully blossomed and reached all areas of our society. For a nation to attain a bloodless free and fair election like we did, it takes more than just the leaders being convinced by others to step down, a fact that people on this forum will not be familiar with because of the lack of exposure to true democracy . In kenya both leaders begged their supporters to back down to no avail.

In conclusion I would completely ignore Jerry Rawlings's stupid statements like most Ghanaians have and concentrate your Nigerian efforts on saving your own failed state. The taliban type developments, unrest in your oil producing regions which have distrupted production, endemic corruption, the image as probably the one of worst nations on the planet are more real and factual than your claims of your involvement with Ghana's recent achievements which has absolutely nothing to do with you.

As a Ghanaian I will continue to bask in glory and pride myself with our recent achievements whiles patiently awaiting the death of Jerry Rawlings.
Re: Rawlings: Yar’adua Prevented Kuffuor From Rigging Ghana’s Polls by yousouph(m): 2:33pm On Aug 02, 2009
gbam!!!
Re: Rawlings: Yar’adua Prevented Kuffuor From Rigging Ghana’s Polls by naliakar: 2:46pm On Aug 02, 2009
@Poster

Is this thread a joke. The only way the utterances of Rawlings would make sense is if and when Yaradua abdicates his seat on account of not having won free and fair elections in Nigeria in the first place.
Re: Rawlings: Yar’adua Prevented Kuffuor From Rigging Ghana’s Polls by beystwin: 2:47pm On Aug 02, 2009
Jerry Rawlings is one of the most deluded individuals in Africa. He has a completely over rated impression of himself and has trully gone past his sell by date. It is common knowledge in Ghana that he is not mentally all there, and is on medication hence his gaining as much weight as he has in recent times. He really should not be taken seriously. The most ridiculuous thing I ever heard from him along with with his current nonsense, was the fact that President Kuffour was killing people in Ghana. He actually came to the uk holding semininars and spreading such outrageous stories about the kuffour government which lost him respect in civilised quarters.

I mean lets face it how stupid is the above story? How can Nigeria a country that is yet to host an election the quality of what we have come to take for granted in Ghana, take any credit for our current achievements? An African Government in power losing an election to the opposition with around 40,000 votes and not a drop of blood spilt in the process. This is trully the best thing since sliced bread and Nigeria in my opinion is between 50 and 100 years away from achieving that

Ghana has achieved political maturity and are the true Giants of Africa. Democracy has trully blossomed and reached all areas of our society. For a nation to attain a bloodless free and fair election like we did, it takes more than just the leaders being convinced by others to step down, a fact that people on this forum will not be familiar with because of the lack of exposure to true democracy . In kenya both leaders begged their supporters to back down to no avail.

In conclusion I would completely ignore Jerry Rawlings's stupid statements like most Ghanaians have and concentrate your Nigerian efforts on saving your own failed state. The taliban type developments, unrest in your oil producing regions which have distrupted production, endemic corruption, the image as probably the one of worst nations on the planet are more real and factual than  your claims of your involvement with Ghana's recent achievements which has absolutely nothing to do with you.

As a Ghanaian I will continue to bask in glory and pride myself with our recent achievements whiles patiently awaiting the death of Jerry Rawlings.
It is obvious you are the deluded one one here. If it were not for Jerry Rawlings where would Ghana be today? Instead of you remaining thankful to him, you are wishing for his demise. What a jerk.
Re: Rawlings: Yar’adua Prevented Kuffuor From Rigging Ghana’s Polls by naijamini(m): 5:13pm On Aug 02, 2009
Bennyboy11:

In conclusion I would completely ignore Jerry Rawlings's stupid statements like most Ghanaians have and concentrate your Nigerian efforts on saving your own failed state. The taliban type developments, unrest in your oil producing regions which have distrupted production, endemic corruption, the image as probably the one of worst nations on the planet are more real and factual than your claims of your involvement with Ghana's recent achievements which has absolutely nothing to do with you.

@Bennyboy11

Your post is interesting on many levels:

1. Before I read the part where you identified yourself as a Ghanaian I could tell. Lesson for the Nigerians: defend your country, hold it dear, heck, lie for it like Bennyboy11 if you must.

2. For all the Nigerians and non-Nigerians lurking in this Nigerian forum let me say that your continued talk about being the "Giant of Africa" is inconsequential. It is like a ground-walking chicken claiming to be the giant among flying chickens when what is required is to soar like an eagles in the sky. You can claim to be giants when you are 2 inches tall among people that are on average 1.9 inches tall - but are you really a giant. Africans need to stop parting themselves in the back so vigorously for doing common-sense things. This is preventing us from opening our eyes to our potentials - best thing since sliced bread hissssssssssss.

'Debo
Re: Rawlings: Yar’adua Prevented Kuffuor From Rigging Ghana’s Polls by Gbawe: 5:15pm On Aug 02, 2009
Bennyboy11:

In conclusion I would completely ignore Jerry Rawlings's stupid statements like most Ghanaians have and concentrate your Nigerian efforts on saving your own failed state. The taliban type developments, unrest in your oil producing regions which have distrupted production, endemic corruption, the image as probably the one of worst nations on the planet are more real and factual than  your claims of your involvement with Ghana's recent achievements which has absolutely nothing to do with you.

My friend take it easy !! Do you actually understand what a regional giant is ? Don't be fooled by the endorsement of Obama and the West. In the real sense of the Word Nigeria is far more a Giant of Africa than Ghana is. I won't start listing the considerations that indicates regional dominance suffice to say it is not democratic and electoral excellence !!!

As an individual proud of Ghana's achievement while being very familiar with your nation I will urge you and fellow Ghanaians to desist from delusions of grandeur. For all Ghana's laudable achievement of late the average Ghanaian , is still not aggressive enough in terms of business, economic and enterpreneural dynamism  to build rapidly on the electoral success of Ghana and turn it into vast economic success as we see with leading nations of the World.

If I were you I would worry about how every aspect of the Ghanaian economy is increasingly being dominated by foreigners (to include Nigerians) while many Ghanaians are happy to remain in the diaspora when opportunities abound at home under a stable political climate. Where will you not find a KFC or Burger King in testimony to the global business aggression of Americans ? Nigerians , whatever you think of them , are the same in Africa in testimony to how we don't recognise borders in our quest for business expansion and opportunities.

You should , for example , worry about how a "giant of Africa" has its main restaurant chain entirely in foreign hands - Papaye, Frankies, On-the-run (all Lebanese) and Mr Biggs (Nigerian). You should also worry about the  success of Nigerian banks in Ghana. I would also be concerned about how the telecom sector is now locked down by Nigerian, Lebanese and South African players. You just don't call yourself the Giant of Africa - you must think and act like it !!!! Nigeria bashing is in vogue lately but lets keep it real . Ghana deserves the praises it is getting lately but Ghana cannot be a regional Giant with a people who are not naturally dynamic, aggressive , expansionist and innovative !!!!!

We Nigerians may have our problem but we still remain probably the most dynamic people in Africa and nothing can take that gift from God away from us . When we sort ourselves out then the World will see Nigeria realise the fate God intended for us when he endowed us with plenty to include some of the best natural  and human resources known to man . For example , it is not many African nations , in testimony to consistent intellectual sagacity , that can boast of  producing  so many world-acclaimed literary giants to include a Nobel Prize winner in literature !!!!
Re: Rawlings: Yar’adua Prevented Kuffuor From Rigging Ghana’s Polls by Onlytruth(m): 5:36pm On Aug 02, 2009
Gbawe:

My friend take it easy !! Do you actually understand what a regional giant is ? Don't be fooled by the endorsement of Obama and the West. In the real sense of the Word Nigeria is far more a Giant of Africa than Ghana is. I won't start listing the considerations that indicates regional dominance suffice to say it is not democratic and electoral excellence !!!

As an individual proud of Ghana's achievement while being very familiar with your nation I will urge you and fellow Ghanaians to desist from delusions of grandeur. For all Ghana's laudable achievement of late the average Ghanaian , is still not aggressive enough in terms of business, economic and enterpreneural dynamism  to build rapidly on the electoral success of Ghana and turn it into vast economic success as we see with leading nations of the World.

If I were you I would worry about how every aspect of the Ghanaian economy is increasingly being dominated by foreigners (to include Nigerians) while many Ghanaians are happy to remain in the diaspora when opportunities abound at home under a stable political climate. Where will you not find a KFC or Burger King in testimony to the global business aggression of Americans ? Nigerians , whatever you think of them , are the same in Africa in testimony to how we don't recognise borders in our quest for business expansion and opportunities.

You should , for example , worry about how a "giant of Africa" has its main restaurant chain entirely in foreign hands - Papaye, Frankies, On-the-run (all Lebanese) and Mr Biggs (Nigerian). You should also worry about the  success of Nigerian banks in Ghana. I would also be concerned about how the telecom sector is now locked down by Nigerian, Lebanese and South African players. You just don't call yourself the Giant of Africa - you must think and act like it !!!! Nigeria bashing is in vogue lately but lets keep it real . Ghana deserves the praises it is getting lately but Ghana cannot be a regional Giant with a people who are not naturally dynamic, aggressive , expansionist and innovative !!!!!

We Nigerians may have our problem but we still remain probably the most dynamic people in Africa and nothing can take that gift from God away from us . When we sort ourselves out then the World will see Nigeria realise the fate God intended for us when he endowed us with plenty to include some of the best natural  and human resources known to man . For example , it is not many African nations , in testimony to consistent intellectual sagacity , that can boast of  producing  so many world-acclaimed literary giants to include a Nobel Prize winner in literature !!!!

Not to burst your bubbles but those same attributes: naturally dynamic, aggressive , expansionist and innovative , you pointed out about Nigerians are the very same reason why a particular tribe in Nigeria is virulently hated, feared and suspected. I never knew they were good attributes after all! Nigeria as a country need to tell herself the truth. The country's greatness will only come when good attributes are supported and encouraged rather than suspected and feared!
Re: Rawlings: Yar’adua Prevented Kuffuor From Rigging Ghana’s Polls by Bennyboy11: 8:38pm On Aug 02, 2009
Gbawe:

Ok Gbawe I consider your post intellectually stimulating enough to warrant a comment, I will ignore comments calling me a jerk etc which to me exhibits basic mindedness and a limited vocabulary, doesn't deserve my time i'm afraid.

You make a fair point and Nigerians are without doubt industrious and have shown themselves to be forward thinking especially outside of Nigeria. But this is why I believe Ghana is leading the way.

In Africa political stability, systems that work, and a positive image is everything. A lot has been done in Ghana in the last few years and should ensure that the current stability remains. We have trully got independent institutions that work. The electoral commission, the Judiciary are trully independent and the culture of democracy is entrenched in Ghanaian soceity. Whoever it was that belittled our election as just showig common sense and not being special above should realise that it is no mean achievement, for your information in india the worlds biggest democracy and what is seem as an emerging market, people die during every election. So until you've achieved it dont belittle it.

I also think you are underestimating Ghanaian innovation. If you strip out corrupt billionaire ex government officials from Nigeria and factor in the fact that your population is 6 or 7 times ours, then there is not much between us. I will show you 1 Ghanaian investment banker, engineer, hedge fund manager for every 6 or 7 Nigerian investment banker etc. We have seen the biggest return of high calibre people in the last few months. I am talking of investment bankers and hedge fund managers and the sort.

Don't forget a lot of Lebanese businessmen where born in Ghana hence the economic impact is virtually the same. Nigerians that are investing which I am very much in favour of, does more good than harm. Nigerian investments total a couple of billion dollar and what is wrong with foreign direct investment. The fact that china holds majority of US federal bonds, or that the saudi's own 10% of America does not make them any less of a giant.

I would worry if we were clueless and sitting on the sidelines. There are several Ghanaian owned banks and financial institution (unibank, fidelity, unique trust etc) we have a lot of astute business men, after all we were the first african nation to have a listed company on the NYSE. Tutu agyare was the first black trader in the UK and currently impacts Ghana's economy with his operation greatly. I dont believe in tribal stereotypes but as stereotypes go Ashanti's are as aggresive in business terms as Ebos if my Ebo assumption is right.

I would never sacrifice our nature as a people for anything, its the basis of our peaceful country and the reason why we have never had a full blown civil war and touch wood wont ever have one. Aggressiveness for the sake of aggressiveness is distructive, is nigeria not aggressive enough to sort out thier electricity problems and infrastructure? We in Ghana are slowly building our nation, we have free education to primary school level and currently working on including secondary level, a national health system which is about to be a single payment system for the whole country, primary kids have free feeding and tansport, best roads we've had since independence, produces more electricity than nigeria which is 6 or 7 times our size and currently building another dam. Ghana is quietly aggressive underestimate us at your own peril!!

Finally talking about individuals like you did is a bit petty, I admire Wole Soyinka but I can talk about the likes of Prof allotey who is the only african to have his own theory in maths (allotey's theory) but who cares. Kofi annan is Ghanaian too but its not about individuals my friend.

The concept of African Giant is redundant but when it comes down to it we currently look more like giants than you do, it's not the size that matters or potential that matters its tangible achievements that speaks volumes.
Re: Rawlings: Yar’adua Prevented Kuffuor From Rigging Ghana’s Polls by babapupa: 9:00pm On Aug 02, 2009
Not to burst your bubbles but those same attributes: naturally dynamic, aggressive , expansionist and innovative , you pointed out about Nigerians are the very same reason why a particular tribe in Nigeria is virulently hated, feared and suspected. I never knew they were good attributes after all! Nigeria as a country need to tell herself the truth. The country's greatness will only come when good attributes are supported and encouraged rather than suspected and feared!

una no dey taya ni?

This is not about you and the world doesn't revolve around your delusions and paranoia. Hold yourself and get a life grin
Re: Rawlings: Yar’adua Prevented Kuffuor From Rigging Ghana’s Polls by kabna(m): 10:05pm On Aug 02, 2009
Gbawe hands down I was gonna give u this lecture but it seems ma boi Benny B has thoroughly educated u.

But just a little to add when Benny Boi talks about been a giant u should know the parameters that he is using to make this assertion.

Not about GDP or GDP per Capita, neither is it about population or geography but rather in terms of the working of social institutions and to a larger

extent the stability of a nation. perharps u didn't care to know but Ghana is currently the least failed state in africa ahead of south africa which is

ahead of you in GDP init mate?

This index is an objective analysis of everything including so called GDP, Land mass, population that affects the stabilty of a nation . so on that basis of that, Ghana officially is the best nation on the continent .

Below is the reference: do not take my word for it

http://www.foreignpolicy.com/articles/2009/06/22/2009_failed_states_index_interactive_map_and_rankings
Re: Rawlings: Yar’adua Prevented Kuffuor From Rigging Ghana’s Polls by Onlytruth(m): 11:04pm On Aug 02, 2009
babapupa:

una no dey taya ni?

This is not about you and the world doesn't revolve around your delusions and paranoia. Hold yourself and get a life grin

what I find interesting in the 2009 failed state list of 60 countries of which Nigeria occupies a 15th position (ie 15th worst failed state) is the "Grievances index". This is the most important index of them all, and is the primary course of other things which negatively impacts a nations chance for peace and progress. Nigeria score a 9.7. All other nations which rank 9.7 and above are all at war internally (ie civil war):

Somalia 9.7
Sudan 9.9
Chad 9.8
Iraq 9.7
Sri lanka 9.8

Nigeria, is the only nation which is not in a state of civil war.

http://www.foreignpolicy.com/articles/2009/06/22/2009_failed_states_index_interactive_map_and_rankings

Isn't it cheaper to find out how we can reduce this grievance index, rather than pretend that all is well?
But how can that happen when you have people actively defending the lies Na wa o!
Re: Rawlings: Yar’adua Prevented Kuffuor From Rigging Ghana’s Polls by Gbawe: 8:05am On Aug 03, 2009
kabna:

Gbawe hands down I was gonna give u this lecture but it seems ma boi Benny B has thoroughly educated u.

But just a little to add when Benny Boi talks about been a giant u should know the parameters that he is using to make this assertion.

Not about GDP or GDP per Capita, neither is it about population or geography but rather in terms of the working of social institutions and to a larger

extent the stability of a nation. perharps u didn't care to know but Ghana is currently the least failed state in africa ahead of south africa which is

ahead of you in GDP init mate?

This index is an objective analysis of everything including so called GDP, Land mass, population that affects the stabilty of a nation . so on that basis of that, Ghana officially is the best nation on the continent .

Below is the reference: do not take my word for it

Bias is a bad thing . Your "boi" has done nothing remotely close to educating me and I will adress him next. I am correct in telling you both that Ghana is not the Giant of Africa . You should note that  18 nations sit above the USA as less failed States on the FSI (failed State Index ) you dogmatically pin your arguement on . Would it not be inane for citizens of those nations to go on an American forum deriding the US while hailing themselves the Giant of the World?

Consistent reasoning is important in life .Like I told your "boi" earlier  Nigeria has its problem but it is only nationalistic shortsightedness that would now make Ghanaians pronounce Ghana as the "Giant of Africa" ahead of Nigeria. Even Obama , with all his praises of Ghana , concedes that the "fate of Nigeria is the fate of Africa" . Think about that statement properly and you will realise the main reason why Obama is trying to shame us enough so that the good men in Nigeria will be galvanised into action that will see a natural giant assume its rightful role .

I know Ghanaians have a rivalry with Nigeria and vice versa but I am , first and foremost , an individual who tells it as it is . Even as I am proud of Ghana as an African nation I think it is wrong of Ghanaians to begin deriding Nigeria while hailing themselves as the "Giant of Africa" . You cannot suddenly become that when , for example , Nigeria remains one of the biggest Physical peacekeepers in Africa . If a huge humanitarian crisis happen in West Africa can you handle it in testimony to your "Giant of Africa" status ?

Your shallow self-deification indicates the problem of Africa . The divide-and-conquer legacy of the colonialist continues to work so well to the extent that Africans prefer to compete against each other   rather than support united continental growth. You are busy arrogating greatness upon yourself that real world physicality debunks with how Norway (number 1 least failed State on the FSI) cannot claim superior greatness over the USA (no 19 least failed) instead of seeing the big picture in understanding that a great Nigeria is a great Africa much like how a benevolent and tolerant USA is what we all want to see as per the big picture of a more peaceful and prosperous World .
Re: Rawlings: Yar’adua Prevented Kuffuor From Rigging Ghana’s Polls by frag(m): 8:32am On Aug 03, 2009
Ghana v Nigeria.
Come on Ghana! Ride on Naija!
Re: Rawlings: Yar’adua Prevented Kuffuor From Rigging Ghana’s Polls by samparian(m): 8:59am On Aug 03, 2009
I tire for some people sef.

Rawlings did great things for ghana and he's the reason Ghanaians are "enjoying" what they have now.
Now someone has the guts to wish him death. hisssssssssssss

Just go and thank your ancestors, cos if not for Rawlings you would have been a school teacher or a shoe maker in Nigeria grin
Re: Rawlings: Yar’adua Prevented Kuffuor From Rigging Ghana’s Polls by nex(m): 8:59am On Aug 03, 2009
I hope you guys know that Yar'Adua is the only world leader that has spoken against the third term agenda of the Niger president and pledged to fight it off this planet.

Tomorrow, when Niger starts enjoying a new administration, the whole world will deny that Yar'Adua has anything to do with it. We deserve no praise. It is our nature. We believe nothing good should come out of us.
Re: Rawlings: Yar’adua Prevented Kuffuor From Rigging Ghana’s Polls by Gbawe: 9:34am On Aug 03, 2009
Bennyboy11:

Ok Gbawe I consider your post intellectually stimulating enough to warrant a comment, I will ignore comments calling me a jerk etc which to me exhibits basic mindedness and a limited vocabulary, doesn't deserve my time i'm afraid.

You make a fair point and Nigerians are without doubt industrious and have shown themselves to be forward thinking especially outside of Nigeria. But this is why I believe Ghana is leading the way.

In Africa political stability, systems that work, and a positive image  is everything. A lot has been done in Ghana in the last few years and should ensure that the current stability remains. We have trully got independent institutions that work. The electoral commission, the Judiciary are trully independent and the culture of democracy is entrenched in Ghanaian soceity. Whoever it was that belittled our election as just showig common sense and not being special above should realise that it is no mean achievement, for your information in india the worlds biggest democracy and what is seem as an emerging market, people die during every election. So until you've achieved it dont belittle it.

I also think you are underestimating Ghanaian innovation. If you strip out corrupt billionaire ex government officials from Nigeria and factor in the fact that your population is 6 or 7 times ours, then there is not much between us. I will show you 1 Ghanaian investment banker, engineer, hedge fund manager for every 6 or 7 Nigerian investment banker etc. We have seen the biggest return of high calibre people in the last few months. I am talking of investment bankers and hedge fund managers and the sort.

Don't forget a lot of Lebanese businessmen where born in Ghana hence the economic impact is virtually  the same. Nigerians that are investing which I am very much in favour of, does more good than harm. Nigerian investments total a couple of billion dollar and what is wrong with foreign direct investment. The fact that china holds majority of US federal bonds, or  that the saudi's own 10% of America does not make them any less of a giant.

I would worry if we were clueless and sitting on the sidelines. There are several Ghanaian owned banks and financial institution (unibank, fidelity, unique trust etc) we have a lot of astute business men, after all we were the first african nation to have a listed company on the NYSE. Tutu agyare was the first black trader in the UK and currently impacts Ghana's economy with his operation greatly. I dont believe in tribal stereotypes but as stereotypes go Ashanti's are as aggresive in business terms as Ebos if my Ebo assumption is right.

I would never sacrifice our nature as a people for anything, its the basis of our peaceful country and the reason why we have never had a full blown civil war and touch wood wont ever have one. Aggressiveness for the sake of aggressiveness is distructive, is nigeria not aggressive enough to sort out thier electricity problems and infrastructure? We in Ghana are slowly building our nation, we have free education to primary school level and currently working on including secondary level, a national health system which is about to be a single payment system for the whole country, primary kids have free feeding and tansport, best roads we've had since independence, produces more electricity than nigeria which is 6 or 7 times our size and currently building another dam. Ghana is quietly aggressive underestimate us at your own peril!!

My friend be more pragmatic in reasoning . Utterances such as "underestimate us at your own peril" means that you see national (and perhaps unhealthy)  competition that may lead to harmful protectionism (some would argue that case already with Nigerian businesses alone required to possess a $300,000 capital base for operation in Ghana) where you should note productive national coexistence.

Ghana and its people are what they are . Nigeria also. The wise man notes his natural strenghts and that of those around him. He does not delusionally arrogate upon himself strength he  is physically and innately deficient of. I suspect that if you could have a truthful conversation with Obama today he would confess that , respected as Ghana is currently , Nigeria is the particular and strategic nation that needs to 'up its game' for Africa to undertake huge developmental strides. hence the current effort to shame Nigeria into assuming its continental leadership role.

Most Nigerians are secure enough in themselves to praise Ghana for how it is 'schooling' us in democratic and electoral practices but don't take that to indicate you are now the "Gaint of Africa" ahead of Nigeria . We have vast potentials that , if realised , will automatically ensure we claim our position as the real "Giant of Africa" . I am one of Nigeria's biggest critics and I am also its greatest supporter in noting it strenghts . Personally I am not interested in my nation being viewed as the "Giant of Nigeria" but I find it factually decietful when Ghanaians can now view their nation as the "Giant of Africa" when they cannot play Nigeria's role if the defense of our continent suddenly becomes an issue today !!!!!!

I don't see my nation to be in competition with any other - I just view the statistics disspassionately in observing that , in reality , Nigeria , even as we do not currently merit the tag , is still more of a "Giant of Africa" than Ghana is or can be when the factors that matters are taken into consideration . You , if you see the big picture and understands its implication for Ghana and Africa ,  should pray for a progressive Nigeria.

Finally talking about individuals like you did is a bit petty, I admire Wole Soyinka but I can talk about the likes of Prof allotey who is the only african to have his own theory in maths (allotey's theory) but who cares. Kofi annan is Ghanaian too but its not about individuals my friend.

Not at all. You see it that way because you fail to comprehend my logic. America gives the World popular culture today with its music, eating habits, spoken accent , education curriculum, political sytems, etc, etc . Like or lump it , those things are indications of the USA's intellectual dominance and greatness. When a nation produces the Worlds foremost experts in many fields you have to recognise their 'gift' . In Africa , wether you want to admit it or not , Nigeria is doing similar with how we are exporting our culture and thinking rather than accepting those things from others. Music, movies, literature, etc from Nigeria is now dominant in Africa . Virtually every African now knows what "wahala" is similar to how the America's dominant and all-conquering hip-hop culture gave us the word "player" and "player hater".

Simple experiment for a citizen of the "Giant of Africa". Next time you are in Ghana please count the pages of the foremost Newspaper of Ghana -  the Daily Graphic - to indicate the complexity and newsworthiness of occurences in Ghana attesting to the "Giant nation" status you arrogate upon yourself (hint - nowhere near the Times newspaper of the UK ) . Then ask for a copy of even a small Nigeria newspaper( hint- equal to the volume of the foremost Newspapers of the most advanced nations of the World) to understand the natural diversity and complexities of events and occurences in Nigeria that qualifies it for Giant Status (similar to South Africa ) in direct comparison to the diverse scope of daily events that has made  the World's top nations great enough to facilitate the export of culture and life habits to others.
Re: Rawlings: Yar’adua Prevented Kuffuor From Rigging Ghana’s Polls by biola44: 9:40am On Aug 03, 2009
dis cant be cos u cant give wat u dont have! grin
Re: Rawlings: Yar’adua Prevented Kuffuor From Rigging Ghana’s Polls by onyengbu1(m): 10:02am On Aug 03, 2009
what do we not have?

ability to defend other nations?

come on, we have repeatedly shown that we are capable of that even when we cant defend our own people.
Re: Rawlings: Yar’adua Prevented Kuffuor From Rigging Ghana’s Polls by Gbawe: 10:16am On Aug 03, 2009
onye_ngbu:

what do we not have?

ability to defend other nations?

come on, we have repeatedly shown that we are capable of that even when we cant defend our own people.

Precisely !!! It is only a bad student of history that will start proclaiming Ghana anything other than an ideological giant of Africa. Some folks need to go and read up about some physical (not ideological) sacrifices Nigeria has made for the African continent. The south Africans now targeting Nigerians should revisit our role in the struggle against the ugliness of apartheid.

It is fashionable to now bash and ridicule Nigeria but non-Nigerians who can see the big picture , with a decent knowledge of Nigeria's past and an eye on its currently unenviable present through to an understanding of its future potentials and what that  portend for Africa , will want Nigeria to become a meritorious "giant of Africa" rather than rush to bestow such a tag on their own nations that is intrinsically ill endowered to lead Africa when physical , and not ideological, 'challenges' ensues in our continent . Some folks/nations are immodestly quick to proclaim themselves Hercules when they actually lack the physical strength to 'carry the World' like the mythical strongman .
Re: Rawlings: Yar’adua Prevented Kuffuor From Rigging Ghana’s Polls by Baro(m): 10:52am On Aug 03, 2009
@ Topic,

The last time i checked, EKITI is a state in a country where Yar'adua is President. Charity should begin with AYOKA. sorry at home
Re: Rawlings: Yar’adua Prevented Kuffuor From Rigging Ghana’s Polls by princekevo(m): 10:53am On Aug 03, 2009
Bennyboy11:

This must be another New generational over-grown Ashanti baby boy, who never understood wht his fathers suffered in the past, Instead of you ranting on here and celebrating foolishness why not just go back to your history until where Rawlings took over power, probably you will have Rawling to be thanked for saving your fathers from acute poverty and hunger that hit Ghana in 70's, You forgot tht the  steady democracy you are celebrating today came as a result of an unselfish young guy who lost all his nails in the prison, and narrowly escaped death, Only ungrateful Ashanti people like you wishes Rawlings dead, Why won't NPP accept defeat and hand over power, didnt MDC peacefully hand over to them?
Re: Rawlings: Yar’adua Prevented Kuffuor From Rigging Ghana’s Polls by Witi(m): 11:25am On Aug 03, 2009
Imagine the then Shoe-makers and Lesson teachers talking in this manner.  shocked shocked shocked
Jerry Rawlings may be right because over the years Nigeria have done excellently well in ensuring that there is peace and stability in distressed nations of Africa specifically in the West African Sub region. Agreed we left our hair unkempt while we are assisting or advising others to shave there's this is pathetic.
Re: Rawlings: Yar’adua Prevented Kuffuor From Rigging Ghana’s Polls by sesman(m): 11:33am On Aug 03, 2009
This is so funny, i laugh tire, grin
Re: Rawlings: Yar’adua Prevented Kuffuor From Rigging Ghana’s Polls by iniguy(m): 11:41am On Aug 03, 2009
Untill Nigeria gets her act together as a nation, all her efforts towards achieving peace and stability on the African continent will not be appreciated!
Re: Rawlings: Yar’adua Prevented Kuffuor From Rigging Ghana’s Polls by beystwin: 11:48am On Aug 03, 2009
I dislike ungrateful people, this has become a common trait in Africa. angry
Re: Rawlings: Yar’adua Prevented Kuffuor From Rigging Ghana’s Polls by md4real(m): 11:59am On Aug 03, 2009
hmnn!no comments. lipsrsealed
Re: Rawlings: Yar’adua Prevented Kuffuor From Rigging Ghana’s Polls by Bennyboy11: 12:19pm On Aug 03, 2009
Gbawe:

My friend be more pragmatic in reasoning . Utterances such as "underestimate us at your own peril" means that you see national (and perhaps unhealthy)  competition that may lead to harmful protectionism (some would argue that case already with Nigerian businesses alone required to possess a £300,000 capital base for operation in Ghana) where you should note productive national coexistence.

Ghana and its people are what they are . Nigeria also. The wise man notes his natural strenghts and that of those around him. He does not delusionally arrogate upon himself strength he  is physically and innately deficient of. I suspect that if you could have a truthful conversation with Obama today he would confess that , respected as Ghana is currently , Nigeria is the particular and strategic nation that needs to 'up its game' for Africa to undertake huge developmental strides. hence the current effort to shame Nigeria into assuming its continental leadership role.

Most Nigerians are secure enough in themselves to praise Ghana for how it is 'schooling' us in democratic and electoral practices but don't take that to indicate you are now the "Gaint of Africa" ahead of Nigeria . We have vast potentials that , if realised , will automatically ensure we claim our position as the real "Giant of Africa" . I am one of Nigeria's biggest critics and I am also its greatest supporter in noting it strenghts . Personally I am not interested in my nation being viewed as the "Giant of Nigeria" but I find it factually decietful when Ghanaians can now view their nation as the "Giant of Africa" when they cannot play Nigeria's role if the defense of our continent suddenly becomes an issue today !!!!!!

I don't see my nation to be in competition with any other - I just view the statistics disspassionately in observing that , in reality , Nigeria , even as we do not currently merit the tag , is still more of a "Giant of Africa" than Ghana is or can be when the factors that matters are taken into consideration . You , if you see the big picture and understands its implication for Ghana and Africa ,  should pray for a progressive Nigeria.

Not at all. You see it that way because you fail to comprehend my logic. America gives the World popular culture today with its music, eating habits, spoken accent , education curriculum, political sytems, etc, etc . Like or lump it , those things are indications of the USA's intellectual dominance and greatness. When a nation produces the Worlds foremost experts in many fields you have to recognise their 'gift' . In Africa , wether you want to admit it or not , Nigeria is doing similar with how we are exporting our culture and thinking rather than accepting those things from others. Music, movies, literature, etc from Nigeria is now dominant in Africa . Virtually every African now knows what "wahala" is similar to how the America's dominant and all-conquering hip-hop culture gave us the word "player" and "player hater".

Simple experiment for a citizen of the "Giant of Africa". Next time you are in Ghana please count the pages of the foremost Newspaper of Ghana -  the Daily Graphic - to indicate the complexity and newsworthiness of occurences in Ghana attesting to the "Giant nation" status you arrogate upon yourself (hint - nowhere near the Times newspaper of the UK ) . Then ask for a copy of even a small Nigeria newspaper( hint- equal to the volume of the foremost Newspapers of the most advanced nations of the World) to understand the natural diversity and complexities of events and occurences in Nigeria that qualifies it for Giant Status (similar to South Africa ) in direct comparison to the diverse scope of daily events that has made  the World's top nations great enough to facilitate the export of culture and life habits to others.

It's a shame that you conveniently ignore parts of my statements and take some out of context to enhance your posts. I clearly stated the redundancy of the African Giant concept. If it means that much to you keep it but I would rather not be a giant and improve as a nation.

I said "understimate us at your own peril" in response to your claims that Ghanaians were not innovative enough. All I'm saying is that we also have high achievers that can steer progress contrary to your assertion. You can put an African disunity spin to it if it serves your purposes.

No educated African or West African for that matter would underestimate the impact Nigeria could have on the region or even the continent if it got its house in order. I have said on many occasions that if nigeria does well I would rather be supported by Nigeria than western nations for obvious reason and I still share that view.

However if this dream that we would all like to see happen does not seem to be materialising then what do you expect surrounding countries to do? If investors see Ghana as being more attractive or as the gateway to the region then so be it. I love Africa but I love Ghana more and so it should be. It is naive for you to think that we should think continentally when even some individual countries are so divided that they can't even live together. Who in thier right mind would take on such a logistacally impossible task. One of my favourite African leaders of all time Kwame Nkrumah , learnt the hard way that charity should begin at home. The peoples of the continent althought united in many ways instinctively and naturally look out for thier own. South Africa premitively proved it not long ago and I still see Ghana must go jokes on this forum as a reminder of the limits of African unity.

The united kingdom used to be incredibly powerful and one of the biggest empires in the last few centuries. Even America was it's colony as you probably already know but today that is far from the case. The moral of the story is that firstly taking the lead role is not dependent on natural conditions like size, diversity and other traits alone because Britain lead the world as a tiny little island. Secondly, with any human system the lead role will be assumed by whoever if it is left vacant because Britain didn't work hard enough America took it,  and there is the prediction that china will take it if America slacks. Before you interpret this as me claiming that we have taken it from you all i'm saying is the lead role is not to be taken for granted or a God given right.

It is a fact that Ghana in the past did look up to Nigeria but it is certainly not the case today. Quite frankly apart from excessively rich Nigerians that we hear about which I personally see as dispicable in cases where corruption is the root of thier wealth, there is nothing else to write home about . The things you point out as evidence of your leadership is merely highlighting your potential and not your greatness. Yes you have a big population majority of Africans are Nigerian, yes I am sure we all use nigerian words but so what? Many parts of asia were influenced by China in terms of thier food and even culturally because there was so many of them, but Japan a tiny spec in comparison for a long time had all the respect, economic and political swagger. And even today is a better country inspite of chinese strides. Who cares about your insignificant dominance in irrelevant areas when you only serves as the way not to do things when it matters. All I've seen in articles since ghana's oil find is how Ghana can avoid being a Nigeria.

You once again seem to underestimate Ghana's contribution to the region and again please don't interpret this as claiming to be the giants. We have a rich history of intervention and support, when ever Nigeria has helped to restore calm in the region we have stood shoulder to shoulder under ecomog. At the hieght of the Liberian civil war when most other countries refused Liberians entry we took in our Liberian brothers. Budumburam is one of the biggest single settlement areas for refugees in West Africa. We have also done our bit for the likes of sierra leone and Ivory coast. We are still credited for providing the most signifinant inter african financial package in African History. Check your history books for Ghana's assistance of Guinea after thier independence.    

Anyway in conclusion forget about the African giant noise, perhaps we dont have the clout to be giants but neither do you have the organisation to be the giants. Using Giants, Leadership and Nigeria in the same sentence makes many people uneasy!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Dont Equate OPC With Boko-Haram - Gani Adams / Malnutrition Worsens In Nigeria Despite Govt, Private Sector Efforts — Report / President Buhari Visits Bauchi State, To Commission Many Projects

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 193
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.