Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,402 members, 7,812,179 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 09:35 AM

Gen-z And Their Many Problems In The Work Place - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Gen-z And Their Many Problems In The Work Place (18360 Views)

Avoid These Four Types Of People At Work Place / Slave Masters At Work Place / Introverts, How Do You Cope At Your Work Place? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Gen-z And Their Many Problems In The Work Place by lavylilly: 7:02pm On Jan 22, 2023
I was asked to refer someone for a job in a company in the South East.

I shared this in my network and received a few CVs which I sent to the organization.

I had forgotten about this until a friend followed up with me about her sister's application. I inquired from the Hiring Manager and learned that this candidate was made an entry-level offer of a little over 90k by the company but she rejected the offer. Reason? The salary was too small, she wanted to be paid triple that amount.

Before then, her only work experience was about 15 months in a small provision store as a Sales Associate/Cashier on a salary that was well below 20k.

She didn't have the required experience but she was chosen for her positive attitude and potential to learn.

Recounting how she started her career from little beginnings, my friend was livid. She had become tired of supporting her sister financially and couldn't understand why she will turn down the opportunity and choose to continue leeching on her financially.

After her sister threatened to cut her financial support, the candidate had a change of heart and decided to take the job. But opportunities don't wait, another candidate had been offered the job.

Dear Young Professional,

It's okay to place yourself highly but are you highly skilled for the pay you want? Don't get me wrong, money is very good but there is a place of learning and a place of earning. We learn to earn. If the million-dollar job you want hasn't come, hold the 90k one while learning and developing yourself into the million-dollar talent that you aspire to become.

Companies pay for value, use that small money to make yourself a valuable talent and watch doors will open for you.

Selah!

111 Likes 13 Shares

Re: Gen-z And Their Many Problems In The Work Place by meobizy(f): 2:00am On Jan 23, 2023
If the story is true, I don’t see anything wrong in her action. Entry level to one man is pocket change to another. She could take the role and grow past it in a few months. Better she rejected it initially than get trained only to resign in nine months.

So, no crediting the original source? I wonder if many of you Nairalanders can create an original article to save your lives.

36 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Gen-z And Their Many Problems In The Work Place by meobizy(f): 2:00am On Jan 23, 2023
Wetin dey do Nairaland today, APC don strike? Close this forum once and for all. Let all of us find a new outlet.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Gen-z And Their Many Problems In The Work Place by talk2hb1(m): 9:32am On Jan 23, 2023
Delusion of Grandeur dey worry her

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Gen-z And Their Many Problems In The Work Place by pocohantas(f): 3:37pm On Jan 23, 2023
Their favourite words are;

Mental health
PTSD
Literally

Once they use any or all of these words, they may not come to work the next day o.

86 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Gen-z And Their Many Problems In The Work Place by frndfghtr(m): 3:38pm On Jan 23, 2023
M
Re: Gen-z And Their Many Problems In The Work Place by BrickDevo: 3:38pm On Jan 23, 2023
This story is unrealistic, how can someone who never earn past 20k reject a job offer of 90k plus, only because she is expecting a salary of 270k,

Not true to me Op.

90k plus salary is an upgrade to 20k salary, unless she knows that someone previously in that position was paid 270k

You also didn't tell us if the salary will be increased at a certain time maybe when she's grown past the entry level status.

58 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Gen-z And Their Many Problems In The Work Place by gasparpisciotta: 3:38pm On Jan 23, 2023
They believe more in tik tok and Instagram

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Gen-z And Their Many Problems In The Work Place by folake4u(f): 3:39pm On Jan 23, 2023
pocohantas:
Their favourites words are;

Mental health
PTSD
Literally

Once they use any or all of these words, they may not come to work the next day o.

Abeg leave us oh.

Our mental health is KEY. 🙂🤲💆‍♀️ We nor kill Jesus.
Make nobody stress me abeg. undecided

20 Likes

Re: Gen-z And Their Many Problems In The Work Place by henryobinna(m): 3:39pm On Jan 23, 2023
meobizy:
If the story is true, I don’t see anything wrong in her action. Entry level to one man is pocket change to another. She could take the role and grow past it in a few months. Better she rejected it initially than get trained only to resign in nine months.

So, no crediting the original source? I wonder if many of you Nairalanders can create an original article to save your lives.
Na wa oh.

Someone who's never earned close to that amount before is whom 270k would be pocke change to.

Hmmm

2 Likes

Re: Gen-z And Their Many Problems In The Work Place by TheRedpillguy: 3:40pm On Jan 23, 2023
Women don't know the value of money ... They have a support system in place for them .

3 Likes

Re: Gen-z And Their Many Problems In The Work Place by danchuzzy(m): 3:40pm On Jan 23, 2023
meobizy:

Wow!

1 Like

Re: Gen-z And Their Many Problems In The Work Place by Mindlog: 3:40pm On Jan 23, 2023
Feeling too pumped up. cheesy
Re: Gen-z And Their Many Problems In The Work Place by Magnoliaa(f): 3:40pm On Jan 23, 2023
pocohantas:

Mental health
PTSD
Literally

This is literally like a personal attack to me. 😂😂

15 Likes

Re: Gen-z And Their Many Problems In The Work Place by ThierryJay: 3:41pm On Jan 23, 2023
pocohantas:

Mental health
PTSD
Literally

grin grin grin.

Other favorites of theirs I've encountered -

"It can't work"
"I feel attacked, like literally attacked"
"Let me tell my truth"

42 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Gen-z And Their Many Problems In The Work Place by stonemasonn: 3:41pm On Jan 23, 2023
Lack of confidence.
She's just self sabotaging.
Re: Gen-z And Their Many Problems In The Work Place by PixelPlexus: 3:43pm On Jan 23, 2023
From 20,000 to 90,000 is a big move that anyone can jump to, except something else is involved for a turn down offer, this is my take.
Re: Gen-z And Their Many Problems In The Work Place by damosky12(m): 3:43pm On Jan 23, 2023
They will learn.

A 90k job for an inexperienced graduate is actually a good deal for a regular office job. People rise through the ranks.

Top managers earning 500k upwards mostly started as graduate trainees. But they showed diligence, loved their jobs, and rose through the rank.

I blame social media for the poor mentality of our crops of graduates today. The fake lives and lies they see being brandished is taking its toll on them. No one would wake-up one day and just decide to pay a naive, fresh graduate 250k for sitting in an office doing next to little.

Take-up the 70k, 90k job and gather experience... In months, you'll be grateful you did. Don't be fooled by the phantom high earners on social media.

25 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Gen-z And Their Many Problems In The Work Place by sgtponzihater1(m): 3:43pm On Jan 23, 2023
I heard of a girl who rejected more. She was not willing to leave the comfort of Abuja to Lag. Closing late Everyday was not convenient. This would have earned her at least 200k with no prior experience.

Most of the time the issue is entitlement. Work history is largely not transferable, so if you work 10 years in the private sectors, you may need to start from entry level if you bag a government job, this itself discourages people.

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Gen-z And Their Many Problems In The Work Place by marlow1962(m): 3:44pm On Jan 23, 2023
Lol
Broke woman wer get choice

1 Like

Re: Gen-z And Their Many Problems In The Work Place by oluwaseyi0: 3:44pm On Jan 23, 2023
H
Re: Gen-z And Their Many Problems In The Work Place by FalseProphet1(m): 3:45pm On Jan 23, 2023
Nigerian girls are naturally greedy. I'm not surprised.

This I have seen.

5 Likes

Re: Gen-z And Their Many Problems In The Work Place by dohyn(m): 3:45pm On Jan 23, 2023
This is obviously a made up story for engagements. I'm not saying the OP who posted it here made it up but whoever first wrote this story, made it up.
Unfortunately, it's not very engaging otherwise plenty blogs would have carried the story. Still, nice try.

7 Likes

Re: Gen-z And Their Many Problems In The Work Place by omonnakoda: 3:46pm On Jan 23, 2023
meobizy:

She reject ed it secure in the knowledge that her sister got her back financially

1 Like

Re: Gen-z And Their Many Problems In The Work Place by marlow1962(m): 3:48pm On Jan 23, 2023
TheRedpillguy:
Women don't know the value of money ... They have a support system in place for them .
Majority of them lazy mooooss have one or two foolish boys they will press, gland the foolish boys will press out money and give to them. Sometimes those foolish boys never get wertin dem go eat o, but they will foolishly give out their last card cus of pussy.

3 Likes

Re: Gen-z And Their Many Problems In The Work Place by Reelmii: 3:48pm On Jan 23, 2023
...she wanted to buy the new iPhone 15 in one month....na motivational speakers i blame for this....

2 Likes

Re: Gen-z And Their Many Problems In The Work Place by OboOlora(f): 3:48pm On Jan 23, 2023
I love Gen Z, na dem fit corporate environment

Pple that don’t give a hoot about kissing asses or any bullshit.

U talk anyhow, they leave without notice or resignation letter lol

21 Likes

Re: Gen-z And Their Many Problems In The Work Place by Xavie(m): 3:48pm On Jan 23, 2023
pocohantas:

Mental health
PTSD
Literally

mental health affects everyone.. not only generation Z
Re: Gen-z And Their Many Problems In The Work Place by omonnakoda: 3:48pm On Jan 23, 2023
dohyn:
This is obviously a made up story for engagements. I'm not saying the OP who posted it here made it up but whoever first wrote this story, made it up.
Unfortunately, it's not very engaging otherwise plenty blogs would have carried the story. Still, nice try.
You are correct it sounds made up
But that doesn't matter really
Many exam questions are made up
We can learn something everywhere

4 Likes

Re: Gen-z And Their Many Problems In The Work Place by Esales(m): 3:50pm On Jan 23, 2023
She isn't stressed by bills so she is not in a hurry to work. Afterall, her equally lazy friend who nothing more than spread legz for Gboys earn more than that amount.
Meanwhile, to dey browse for interesting posts no dey Taya you? Save yourself the stress and time, Join my WhatsApp TV for hilarious content right on WhatsApp. Check my signature for the phone number.

1 Like

Re: Gen-z And Their Many Problems In The Work Place by Holluwhakemmy(f): 3:53pm On Jan 23, 2023
This story not true at all. How can someone on 20k salary rejected 90k

3 Likes

Re: Gen-z And Their Many Problems In The Work Place by Allisgud: 3:54pm On Jan 23, 2023
henryobinna:
Na wa oh.

Someone who's never earned close to that amount before is whom 270k would be pocke change to.

Hmmm
u dey mind am,doctors who are highly skilled are paid 250k

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

What Should u say When Asked This Question In An Interview / WAEC Aptitude Test / NNPC Don Fall My Hand Cha...

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.