Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,781 members, 7,844,533 topics. Date: Wednesday, 29 May 2024 at 11:16 PM

Constitution Review: National Assembly bow To Govs, Step Down LG Autonomy bill - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Constitution Review: National Assembly bow To Govs, Step Down LG Autonomy bill (13783 Views)

Apologise To Southern Govs, Step Down As Atiku’s Running Mate, Clark Tells Okowa / Atiku Vs Wike, Others: G5 Govs Step Up Plan B Despite Peace Talks / Arsonists Burn Down LG Secretariat, Magistrate Court In Anambra (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Constitution Review: National Assembly bow To Govs, Step Down LG Autonomy bill by Odibembem: 5:28am On Jan 25, 2023
SyrusdeHansome:
Do u knw the reason? The reason is because most of this NA members are governorship candidates of their various parties and they can't afford to risk what they stand to lose if they eventually win. Our politicians are the most short sighted pple in the world. They don't knw what planning 4 the future means, they only think nd deliberate abt what they stand to gain in the present

You seem not to understand the process of amendment. The National Assembly passed the LG autonomy bill, it was the State Houses of Assembly that refuse to pass it. Why are u now blaming the National Assembly?
Re: Constitution Review: National Assembly bow To Govs, Step Down LG Autonomy bill by Odibembem: 5:39am On Jan 25, 2023
Fujiyama:

^^^
undecided

Perhaps you don't know that your first sentence is a huge indictment of the APC.

If a party has a legislative & executive majority at federal and state level - and it is still struggling to pass common sense legislation that is supported by the spirit (if not the letter) of the constitution - that party is useless and has no business being in government. The All Progressives Congress - we are talking to you.

Nigerians need to open their eyes wide and act in their own interests next month. The president is in far away Abuja - he knows next to nothing about your community issues. He doesn't know anything about your local hospitals, roads, markets and schools. It makes no sense to make an informed choice in presidential voting - and then go to sleep on LG, state and legislative elections that are far more relevant to daily living.

Vote wisely across the board.

Oga talk is cheap, this is the most expansive constitutional amendment since 1999. Previous govt of PDP did almost nothing even with a super majority, at least we are seeing progress. National Grid is now concurrent so states don't need FG approval to distribute electricity, same as Railway and Airports (those I don't see d relevance of airports to be under states). Also prisons can now be built and regulated by states so we can deal with d terrible vice of overcrowding of prisons, Attorney General is now separate from Minister of Justice so that we can have non political law officer. Am sure d next president would show much interest especially in State Police and LG autonomy
Re: Constitution Review: National Assembly bow To Govs, Step Down LG Autonomy bill by asobo1: 7:44am On Jan 25, 2023
tk4radi:
Can Atiku Override the System??

Sharraapp there,, and say only the things you know
Boy you should do the shutting up and stop displaying ineptitude.
Re: Constitution Review: National Assembly bow To Govs, Step Down LG Autonomy bill by milkySperm(m): 10:04am On Jan 25, 2023
Drbarmes:

Look at this learner!

Yeah I am always happy to learn, so teach me oga teacher
Re: Constitution Review: National Assembly bow To Govs, Step Down LG Autonomy bill by fergie001: 1:42pm On Jan 25, 2023
tk4radi:
Why is it that “Publishing of ‘Audited’ Government Yearly Financial Reports (both for the FG and the States)” is not there in the amendment??
I will post something related in a jiffy.
Re: Constitution Review: National Assembly bow To Govs, Step Down LG Autonomy bill by tk4radi: 3:58pm On Jan 25, 2023
fergie001:
Ok.
That's cool.
I will be waiting to read
Re: Constitution Review: National Assembly bow To Govs, Step Down LG Autonomy bill by Fujiyama: 4:08pm On Jan 25, 2023
Odibembem:

Oga talk is cheap, this is the most expansive constitutional amendment since 1999. Previous govt of PDP did almost nothing even with a super majority, at least we are seeing progress.

^^^

"At least we are seeing progress." undecided A classic example of the soft bigotry of low expectations.

Run the numbers. How many constitutional amendments have actually been passed after 8 years? How many items still remain on the federal exclusive list after 8 years? So what exactly has the APC dominated legislature done after two terms? undecided

Predictably, you mention the PDP. angry Apologists of this failed administration keep digging up the PDP's misgovernance - it is the go-to excuse whenever a rationalization of APC's failure is required. Has it ever occurred to you that the PDP's inability to deliver is why it is no longer in power at the centre? Was the APC voted into power to give meaningless excuses to Nigerians?

Very interesting how when it comes to critical, long overdue reform, then you comfortably preach gradualism. undecided

Odibembem:
National Grid is now concurrent so states don't need FG approval to distribute electricity, same as Railway and Airports (those I don't see d relevance of airports to be under states). Also prisons can now be built and regulated by states so we can deal with d terrible vice of overcrowding of prisons, Attorney General is now separate from Minister of Justice so that we can have non political law officer. Am sure d next president would show much interest especially in State Police and LG autonomy

^^^
Too little and very late.

Like I said, run the numbers. How many items were on the exclusive list in 2015? How many are there now? How many items were on the concurrent and residual lists - and how many are there now? And even more important - what are these items?

I am not taken in by tokenism. When real constitutional reform is done, it will announce itself - you and I will not need to say a word. The thing will indeed speak for itself.
Re: Constitution Review: National Assembly bow To Govs, Step Down LG Autonomy bill by BluntCrazeMan: 5:23pm On Jan 27, 2023
fergie001:
Is it stated anywhere in the existing Constitution, and in the amendment bills for the Accountant-General of the Federation and the Minister for Finance (same with AG of state governments and commissioners for Finance of States) to work together and “Compulsorily Publish the ‘AUDITED’ Government Yearly Financial Reports (both for the FG and the State Governments)”, and make them open and publicly available for the people.??

We really need such prompts to be included inside the Constitution as the Functions of the AG and The Minister.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

FAAC Disburses N386bn To FG, States, Lgs In November 2016 / 'if Buhari Wins, Nigerians Will Be Running To Neighboring Countries To Feed - Fa / PDP Crisis Deepens As Police Block Staff From Entering Secretariat

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.