Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,939 members, 7,821,284 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 10:55 AM

Bank Staff Are Sharing The New Currency Among Themselves - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Bank Staff Are Sharing The New Currency Among Themselves (1055 Views)

"New Currency Or Transfer" See Inscription On a Keke Napep / Sterling Bank Staff Open Accounts Using Customers Names Linked With BVN For Loan / Stanbic IBTC Bank Staff In School Uniforms To Mark Customer Service Week. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Bank Staff Are Sharing The New Currency Among Themselves by Africankel(m): 6:40pm On Jan 27, 2023
Earlier today, I went to do non-financial related runs at the Abuja branch of Globus Bank Limited, while at it, I told the teller I'd like to make an over-the-counter withdrawal as their ATM wasn't dispensing, the gentleman said it was old money he'd give me, that they didn't have new notes. I look to my left, and see one of the bank's staff making an over-the-counter withdrawal (like me) and the lady had given him new notes of N500. On the other table was the manager or supervisor, I see her sending someone on an errand with new notes of N500.

So I told the guy 'not to bother', it made no sense taking the old currency when I could transfer money to service providers for services rendered, or use another ATM in the city. While leaving the bank, after my other runs, I stopped at the customer service desk and told the lady casually "you guys are sharing the new currency among yourselves and depriving same to customers", she laughs, and said "it's not like that" - casually too.

As I stepped out of bank, I realized I needed little cash, I didn't want to stress myself looking for another ATM as the weather was hot, so I went back and decided to withdraw only 5k of the old currency. While filling out the slip, another bank staff walks up to the lady teller and says she needed 40k. This teller in turn, asked her colleague who was attending to me, how much he had. He said 34k or so. They both made it up to 40k and gave their colleague. Dissatisfied, she asked them to replace the dirty notes with mint, saying old notes (not old currency) made her sneeze. I was waiting for them to finish.

Then, the young man turns to me, handing me 5k of the old currency. Omo! I spark!!! How the hell am I looking at you handing out new notes to your colleague and you are giving me old ones? The chap gets me more angry, by telling me they don't give new notes over the counter, except I used the ATM. I told him to go and put 5k new currency in the ATM let me withdraw it, because I wasn't going to step an inch out of that bank with the old note. They had already debited me.

This bank staff who withdrew 40k started trying to calm me, again by saying more annoying words. She said I didn't need to shout, I could have politely asked him for new notes, bla bla bla... And I said you want me to beg for my money? Not happening!!! I mean, how dare he tell me I couldn't withdraw new notes over the counter, whereas you and another of your colleague had withdrawn money here before my very eyes! The manager or supervisor later came and told him to pay me new notes.

I left there angry! Two hours and thirty minutes later, I'm still angry. How the hell are they sharing the money among themselves while leaving customers stranded.

I've reached out to the bank's head office and they have promised to investigate. I told them I wanted to know the outcome of their investigation, as I'm not letting this slide. I've also reached out to the Central Bank of Nigeria and the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission

10 Likes

Re: Bank Staff Are Sharing The New Currency Among Themselves by Victorclean1: 6:43pm On Jan 27, 2023
Is this verified?.
Re: Bank Staff Are Sharing The New Currency Among Themselves by Jeon(f): 6:44pm On Jan 27, 2023
That's Nigerians for Earth.
The masses are more corrupt then the government.
This is how it started before becoming Senate, House of Rep,Adviser, Minister,Govern and blah blah blah blah blah blah.
Practice makes Perfection

The trend in my Area is this " No new Currency No fuel for you ". Most of the Petrol Stations in my Area are on break now.

4 Likes

Re: Bank Staff Are Sharing The New Currency Among Themselves by Hero2t: 6:46pm On Jan 27, 2023
Nigerians sef.
Re: Bank Staff Are Sharing The New Currency Among Themselves by rickpat(m): 6:48pm On Jan 27, 2023
this country can make one go insane

the funny part is that citizens tend to play down how useless and corrupt this country is...

my bro,those money are sold to pos operators who in turn charge very high if you want new notes...it's a shame... spits

2 Likes

Re: Bank Staff Are Sharing The New Currency Among Themselves by DaddyRochie1642: 6:51pm On Jan 27, 2023
Oga why are you still angry after 2 hours and thirty minutes grin
Re: Bank Staff Are Sharing The New Currency Among Themselves by DaddyRochie1642: 6:52pm On Jan 27, 2023
rickpat:
this country can make one go insane

the funny part is that citizens tend to play down how useless and corrupt this country is...

my bro,those money are sold to pos operators who in turn charge very high if you want new notes...it's a shame... spits

You are right
Re: Bank Staff Are Sharing The New Currency Among Themselves by yarimo(m): 7:09pm On Jan 27, 2023
Una never see anything yet, when TINUBU spoke about the availability of the New Naira notes you guys misinterpret it in hateful manners
Re: Bank Staff Are Sharing The New Currency Among Themselves by Africankel(m): 7:19pm On Jan 27, 2023
Victorclean1:
Is this verified?.

This is my personal experience
Re: Bank Staff Are Sharing The New Currency Among Themselves by Africankel(m): 7:20pm On Jan 27, 2023
DaddyRochie1642:

Omo, e pain me o, I no go lie.
Re: Bank Staff Are Sharing The New Currency Among Themselves by Ahmed0336(m): 7:27pm On Jan 27, 2023
sad
As in eh,I no see wicked beings on this Earth like Nigerians.

Motive for this policy is Noble, just imagine how Nigerians are fustrating the policy..

Bankers selling this money for certain percentage.
Normal Nigerians can't access this money via ATM.
Some POS Agent who happens to have this new cash are exchanging it with extra cash eg 22k for 20k new naira.

If CBN can just pity us by putting like 30 ATM machines in front of their banks fully loaded so Nigerians can access their money because I have never seen evil entities like commercial banks.
How can a bank with over 15 functional ATMs have just one dispensing? Guess what? Maximum amount you can withdraw is 20k angry

Anybody trying to frustrate us, na Ogun go visit am.

ATM queue
PVV queue
Fuel station queue.

Damn!!!! This corn tree can be so fustrating aswear!!!
Re: Bank Staff Are Sharing The New Currency Among Themselves by anyilalaz: 8:39pm On Jan 27, 2023
DaddyRochie1642:

Don't really blame him. From Thursday to today Friday, the ATMs in my neighborhood from different banks are not dispensing because no new note. Wife couldn't buy needed household items.

I pray no emergency for petty expenses. Now we have entered weekend, the hope of get my money from ATM is not possible.
Re: Bank Staff Are Sharing The New Currency Among Themselves by Peritome: 8:48pm On Jan 27, 2023
Na wa
Re: Bank Staff Are Sharing The New Currency Among Themselves by gaby(m): 9:49pm On Jan 27, 2023
Africankel:
Earlier today, I went to do non-financial related runs at the Abuja branch of Globus Bank Limited, while at it, I told the teller I'd like to make an over-the-counter withdrawal as their ATM wasn't dispensing, the gentleman said it was old money he'd give me, that they didn't have new notes. I look to my left, and see one of the bank's staff making an over-the-counter withdrawal (like me) and the lady had given him new notes of N500. On the other table was the manager or supervisor, I see her sending someone on an errand with new notes of N500.

So I told the guy 'not to bother', it made no sense taking the old currency when I could transfer money to service providers for services rendered, or use another ATM in the city. While leaving the bank, after my other runs, I stopped at the customer service desk and told the lady casually "you guys are sharing the new currency among yourselves and depriving same to customers", she laughs, and said "it's not like that" - casually too.

As I stepped out of bank, I realized I needed little cash, I didn't want to stress myself looking for another ATM as the weather was hot, so I went back and decided to withdraw only 5k of the old currency. While filling out the slip, another bank staff walks up to the lady teller and says she needed 40k. This teller in turn, asked her colleague who was attending to me, how much he had. He said 34k or so. They both made it up to 40k and gave their colleague. Dissatisfied, she asked them to replace the dirty notes with mint, saying old notes (not old currency) made her sneeze. I was waiting for them to finish.

Then, the young man turns to me, handing me 5k of the old currency. Omo! I spark!!! How the hell am I looking at you handing out new notes to your colleague and you are giving me old ones? The chap gets me more angry, by telling me they don't give new notes over the counter, except I used the ATM. I told him to go and put 5k new currency in the ATM let me withdraw it, because I wasn't going to step an inch out of that bank with the old note. They had already debited me.

This bank staff who withdrew 40k started trying to calm me, again by saying more annoying words. She said I didn't need to shout, I could have politely asked him for new notes, bla bla bla... And I said you want me to beg for my money? Not happening!!! I mean, how dare he tell me I couldn't withdraw new notes over the counter, whereas you and another of your colleague had withdrawn money here before my very eyes! The manager or supervisor later came and told him to pay me new notes.

I left there angry! Two hours and thirty minutes later, I'm still angry. How the hell are they sharing the money among themselves while leaving customers stranded.

I've reached out to the bank's head office and they have promised to investigate. I told them I wanted to know the outcome of their investigation, as I'm not letting this slide. I've also reached out to the Central Bank of Nigeria and the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission

Well done brother.

This is one way we all can contribute our quota to changing our country, one individual at a time and not the usual annoying "mind your business" attitude we seem to revel in.

Mind your business is the reason we have descended this low as a people and country.

Let's make the business of fixing Nigeria and her citizens our collective businesses to mind.
Re: Bank Staff Are Sharing The New Currency Among Themselves by stagger: 11:41pm On Jan 27, 2023
Many of you were not around in 1984 when Buhari and Idiagbon gave Nigerians TWO WEEKS to change all their old money to new ones,
along with a deposit cap that ensured the politicians of that era were converted to poor men overnight.

I was around in 1984 and saw how my parents struggled to get the new notes. I made sure I did not have to end up in the situation most have found themselves now.

I identified what I spend cash on and what I use transfers for. All my cash expense items, I stockpiled enough to last me and my family for six months. The only thing I need to use transfers or PoS for are the only things I spend on now.

People need to be wise and talk to themselves and stop spending too much time on things that blunt the analytical component of their minds.

1 Like

Re: Bank Staff Are Sharing The New Currency Among Themselves by Yves4real(f): 12:00am On Jan 28, 2023
My sister had a similar encounter at one of the FCMB branches somewhere in south south. The difference is that few of the bank's employees came with several ATM cards and began withdrawing money without regard for the customers waiting in line. When the guys on queue put an end to the bank employees' nonsense, the manager came out and the situation was brought under control. Although the situation later degenerated when the POS operators brought their madness. There was dragging of people down from the ATM stand, tearing of shirt, and leaving someone bloodied due to beating,
Re: Bank Staff Are Sharing The New Currency Among Themselves by Bukola94: 8:48pm On Jan 28, 2023
stagger:
Many of you were not around in 1984 when Buhari and Idiagbon gave Nigerians TWO WEEKS to change all their old money to new ones,
along with a deposit cap that ensured the politicians of that era were converted to poor men overnight.

I was around in 1984 and saw how my parents struggled to get the new notes. I made sure I did not have to end up in the situation most have found themselves now.

I identified what I spend cash on and what I use transfers for. All my cash expense items, I stockpiled enough to last me and my family for six months. The only thing I need to use transfers or PoS for are the only things I spend on now.

People need to be wise and talk to themselves and stop spending too much time on things that blunt the analytical component of their minds.
I sight you senior man, long may you live. I pray our children witness good, and better Nigeria. Please if I may ask, how many children do you have now. And was the 1984 administration better than IBB administration? Because anytime I ask those that witness some administration and were alive after civil war, they said Muritala administration was better but not long. Old soldiers do tell me that and some elderly old men too. Thanks
Re: Bank Staff Are Sharing The New Currency Among Themselves by Africankel(m): 10:36pm On Feb 03, 2023
I can confirm that EFCC has arrested the bank staff today, February 3rd.
Re: Bank Staff Are Sharing The New Currency Among Themselves by Parachoko: 10:46pm On Feb 03, 2023
Africankel:
I can confirm that EFCC has arrested the bank staff today, February 3rd.
Nice one

I'm glad you didn't just keep quite.
Re: Bank Staff Are Sharing The New Currency Among Themselves by obamma: 7:25am On Feb 04, 2023
Take videos of these, report to CBN and effcc. Check their website ,get contact details to report. Ranting on naira land will not help anyone. Do something
Re: Bank Staff Are Sharing The New Currency Among Themselves by Africankel(m): 12:43pm On Feb 04, 2023
obamma:
Take videos of these, report to CBN and effcc. Check their website ,get contact details to report. Ranting on naira land will not help anyone. Do something

Lol. I submitted a petition to the EFCC, CBN and ICPC the next working day. Surprisingly, I got a call from the EFCC Chairman himself that evening assuring me of a robust investigation. Yesterday, exactly one week after, those involved have been arrested and are enjoying their weekend in EFCC cell.
Re: Bank Staff Are Sharing The New Currency Among Themselves by Creamcrest(m): 1:14pm On Feb 04, 2023
Africankel:

Lol. I submitted a petition to the EFCC, CBN and ICPC the next working day. Surprisingly, I got a call from the EFCC Chairman himself that evening assuring me of a robust investigation. Yesterday, exactly one week after, those involved have been arrested and are enjoying their weekend in EFCC cell.
We know you are lying to feel good but continue.

You got a call from the efcc chairman?

Say you be buhari's junior brother abi?

Clown.
Re: Bank Staff Are Sharing The New Currency Among Themselves by Africankel(m): 4:04pm On Feb 04, 2023
Creamcrest:

We know you are lying to feel good but continue.

You got a call from the efcc chairman?

Say you be buhari's junior brother abi?

Clown.

Ok

(1) (Reply)

Affiliation With Foreign University / What Do U Intend To Achieve In 2007 / How To Start A Business Centre (call Centre)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.