Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,248 members, 7,818,849 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:37 AM

Naira Swap Targets Cash Hoarders Not Businesses, Says Buhari - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Naira Swap Targets Cash Hoarders Not Businesses, Says Buhari (1428 Views)

FOREX Crisis: FG Plans Talks With Looters, Eyes Mop-Up From Hoarders / NNPC To Discontinue Crude Swap, Targets Cash Payments For Petrol Imports / Naira, Petrol Hoarders Plotting Interim Government, Tinubu Alleges (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Naira Swap Targets Cash Hoarders Not Businesses, Says Buhari by Omooba77: 4:44pm On Jan 28, 2023
President Muhammadu Buhari has assured Nigerians that the government will ensure that citizens are unharmed in their businesses and no disruption is caused to the entire supply chain arising from the currency swap due to end shortly.

ADVERTISEMENT

Buhari was reacting to reports of long queues of people waiting for hours to deposit old notes and get new ones, a situation which has triggered public anger and criticism from the opposition.

According to a statement by his Senior Special Assistant on Media and Publicity, Garba Shehu, the President underscored that the currency swap targets people hoarding illicit funds and not the common man.

He maintained that it had become necessary to prevent counterfeits, corruption, and terrorist funding, assuring the public that the change will help stabilise and strengthen the economy.

While taking note that the poorest section of society is facing hardship as they often keep hard cash at home for various expenses, the President further gave strong assurances that the government will not leave them to their own fate.

He reiterated that a number of initiatives by the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) and all commercial banks are underway to speed up distribution of the new notes and do all that is necessary to forestall cash squeeze and chaos.

The CBN first informed Nigerians about the plan to redesign the N200, N500 and N1,000 banknotes on October 26, 2022, saying the old notes would no longer be valid after January 31, 2023.

Buhari unveiled the new notes in December 2022.

https://www.channelstv.com/2023/01/28/old-naira-swap-targets-cash-hoarders-not-businesses-says-buhari/
Re: Naira Swap Targets Cash Hoarders Not Businesses, Says Buhari by Midehi3(f): 4:45pm On Jan 28, 2023
But it is affecting the common man, i have been searching for new notes since morning till now none undecided

How are we sure the hoarders/politicians have not collected all the new notes from all these corrupt bank MDs, managers undecided CBN said there is enough notes, bank says no enough new notes in circulation undecided
Re: Naira Swap Targets Cash Hoarders Not Businesses, Says Buhari by PrinceOfLagos: 4:45pm On Jan 28, 2023
Tinubu bullion vans will be emptied before the February election. There won't be room for vote buying this time

God bless President Muhammadu Buhari and the CBN governor Mr Godswin Emefiele

4 Likes

Re: Naira Swap Targets Cash Hoarders Not Businesses, Says Buhari by Oxfordgrade: 4:46pm On Jan 28, 2023
PrinceOfLagos:
Tinubu bullion vans will be emptied before the February election. There won't be room for vote buying this time

God bless President Muhammadu Buhari and the CBN governor Mr Godswin Emefiele
you this boy you are always spewing rubbish. The problem is not the politicians but the common man! Ask your self, whom among the politicians are saint? Bros if you steal onion and I'm able to steal pot, all of us na thief oh... since yesterday for my area people no gree sell for old note, ok, ask them, can I have your account for transfer, no where! And don't forget they're looking for the money and you're looking for the goods but no one is take extra risk hence the suffering. Ask your self again how many rural men and women I know own account in bank talk more of transacting businesses with banks? Stop supporting evil, because the purpose of this lofty policy has been defeated hence, the reason to shift ground
Re: Naira Swap Targets Cash Hoarders Not Businesses, Says Buhari by libertyfather(m): 4:47pm On Jan 28, 2023
We know but those hoarders are so powerful...the effect will bounce bck on us

1 Like

Re: Naira Swap Targets Cash Hoarders Not Businesses, Says Buhari by madridguy(m): 4:48pm On Jan 28, 2023
grin
Re: Naira Swap Targets Cash Hoarders Not Businesses, Says Buhari by PrinceOfLagos: 4:49pm On Jan 28, 2023
Midehi3:
But it is affecting the common man, i have been searching for new notes since morning till now none undecided
do bank transfer on items bought.

I don't have a single naira note in my pocket . All the ATM machine in my area aren't dispensing. Na bank transfer I dey use pay right now till next week that the new note will be in circulation .

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Naira Swap Targets Cash Hoarders Not Businesses, Says Buhari by Remijuice: 4:52pm On Jan 28, 2023
You should not burn down your house because of rat.

4 Likes

Re: Naira Swap Targets Cash Hoarders Not Businesses, Says Buhari by oyin44: 4:52pm On Jan 28, 2023
grin
Re: Naira Swap Targets Cash Hoarders Not Businesses, Says Buhari by haffaze777(m): 4:52pm On Jan 28, 2023
Keep deceiving yourself you hear,you will continue spending your old and rusty old naira till june.Awon oniyeye
Re: Naira Swap Targets Cash Hoarders Not Businesses, Says Buhari by Midehi3(f): 4:52pm On Jan 28, 2023
PrinceOfLagos:

I don't have a single naira note in my pocket . All the ATM machine in my area aren't dispensing. Na bank transfer I dey use pay right now till next week that the new note will be in circulation .
transfer 300 naira to grind beans undecided wahala

3 Likes

Re: Naira Swap Targets Cash Hoarders Not Businesses, Says Buhari by PrinceOfLagos: 4:53pm On Jan 28, 2023
Midehi3:

oh lol
Re: Naira Swap Targets Cash Hoarders Not Businesses, Says Buhari by Midehi3(f): 4:53pm On Jan 28, 2023
madridguy:
grin
No just vomit rubbish for here o undecided
Re: Naira Swap Targets Cash Hoarders Not Businesses, Says Buhari by Midehi3(f): 4:55pm On Jan 28, 2023
PrinceOfLagos:
oh lol
Abeg let me go and use transfer to enjoy myself with some friends, I can't come and kee mysef grin cheesy
Re: Naira Swap Targets Cash Hoarders Not Businesses, Says Buhari by neutralmind: 4:56pm On Jan 28, 2023
Okay
Re: Naira Swap Targets Cash Hoarders Not Businesses, Says Buhari by PrinceOfLagos: 4:58pm On Jan 28, 2023
Midehi3:

Abeg let me go and use transfer to enjoy myself with some friends, I can't come and kee mysef grin cheesy
do what you can to stay afloat till after the 31st deadline

Bless
Re: Naira Swap Targets Cash Hoarders Not Businesses, Says Buhari by Midehi3(f): 4:58pm On Jan 28, 2023
PrinceOfLagos:
do what you can to stay afloat till after the 31st deadline

Bless
Sure

1 Like

Re: Naira Swap Targets Cash Hoarders Not Businesses, Says Buhari by Racoon(m): 5:00pm On Jan 28, 2023
Like the heroine-drug addict and baron bullion vans criminal of Burdillion who wants to spend such money on bribing voters and deploying his hoardes of agberoes to cause violence.
Re: Naira Swap Targets Cash Hoarders Not Businesses, Says Buhari by Workch: 5:00pm On Jan 28, 2023
Midehi3:

How are we sure the hoarders/politicians have not collected all the new notes from all these corrupt bank MDs, managers undecided CBN said there is enough notes, bank says no enough new notes in circulation undecided

is it betrer to suffer for one month in other or have credible election that can decide your 8years?
Re: Naira Swap Targets Cash Hoarders Not Businesses, Says Buhari by iykejohnson(m): 5:01pm On Jan 28, 2023
Midehi3:

According to them, they want us to do more of transfer

Cashless policy
Re: Naira Swap Targets Cash Hoarders Not Businesses, Says Buhari by Indispensable85(m): 5:05pm On Jan 28, 2023
Buhari na MUGU.
I just dey laff. As I type here, bags of new currencies are already in possession of the political class. There's something I don't want to say here. Hahahahahahahaha 🤣🤣🤣
E go hard naijaaaa aswear 🤣🤣🤣 chaiiiiiiiiiii...

If u know wetin dey play between commercial bank managers and the political class concerning this new notes, u go weep for the ordinary masses. Chaiiiiiiiiiii 🤣🤣🤣 naijaaaa..

Wetin my eye see yesterday shock me. I was in the house of someone when some bank staff brought bags of new notes. Naijaaaa go hard oooooo 🤣🤣🤣🤣 I give up on Nigeria.

The only thing that can stop vote buying is the enlightenment of the masses. Baba money dey on ground. Lol....🤣🤣🤣

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Naira Swap Targets Cash Hoarders Not Businesses, Says Buhari by socialmediaman: 5:06pm On Jan 28, 2023
Buhari is doing what he knows best. If nothing else, people will remember how he prevented a certain heroin trafficker from using money to buy and bully his way into office

Meanwhile, commit to voting at the presidential election, and mobilizing at least 3 more persons to vote
Re: Naira Swap Targets Cash Hoarders Not Businesses, Says Buhari by AcetylC: 5:11pm On Jan 28, 2023
Indispensable85:
Buhari na MUGU.
I just dey laff. As I type here, bags of new currencies are already in possession of the political class. There's something I don't want to say here. Hahahahahahahaha 🤣🤣🤣
E go hard naijaaaa aswear 🤣🤣🤣 chaiiiiiiiiiii...

If u know wetin dey play between commercial bank managers and the political class concerning this new notes, u go weep for the ordinary masses. Chaiiiiiiiiiii 🤣🤣🤣 naijaaaa..

The irony of being an ordinary Nigerian, condemned to suffer regardless of what time of day it is or season. Votes will still be bought with the new notes. Chai!

1 Like

Re: Naira Swap Targets Cash Hoarders Not Businesses, Says Buhari by Oxfordgrade: 5:13pm On Jan 28, 2023
PrinceOfLagos:

truly, you know get one single sense. So because you can go cashless mean others can too, even the illiterate ones and rural areas where banks are faraway from? Your selfishness, wickedness and sen.se.less.ness stink!

2 Likes

Re: Naira Swap Targets Cash Hoarders Not Businesses, Says Buhari by BeardedmeatR(m): 5:16pm On Jan 28, 2023
Buhari Buhariiiiiii Buhariiiiiii

Is this the outcome of the facing saving visit by Batscobar to Katsina?
Re: Naira Swap Targets Cash Hoarders Not Businesses, Says Buhari by BeardedmeatR(m): 5:20pm On Jan 28, 2023
Midehi3:

The old notes are still being accepted. The deadline is next Tuesday and banks are open everyday till Tuesday.

What are yapping about? Are you looking for the new notes to sell them?
Re: Naira Swap Targets Cash Hoarders Not Businesses, Says Buhari by Arkmanbuddy(m): 5:21pm On Jan 28, 2023
This confirms Tinubu's outburst in Abeokuta. 🤔
Re: Naira Swap Targets Cash Hoarders Not Businesses, Says Buhari by Indispensable85(m): 5:23pm On Jan 28, 2023
AcetylC:

The irony of being an ordinary Nigerian, condemned to suffer regardless of what time of day it is or season. Votes will still be bought with the new notes. Chai!

The only thing that can render vote buying useless is voter's enlightenment. Baba money dey on ground. I'm talking about the new notes. They're already available in bags.
Re: Naira Swap Targets Cash Hoarders Not Businesses, Says Buhari by BeardedmeatR(m): 5:24pm On Jan 28, 2023
Oxfordgrade:
truly, you know get one single sense. So because you can go cashless mean others can too, even the illiterate ones and rural areas where banks are faraway from? Your selfishness, wickedness and sen.se.less.ness stink!
Banks being far away from those places is because, the population and economic activities are low. Their kit and kin that left for Lagos never looked back.. unlike Igbos that must return home at least once every year... even in the face of mounting insecurity.

Let them stop wailing and locate the nearest bank to lodge their money.
Re: Naira Swap Targets Cash Hoarders Not Businesses, Says Buhari by Oxfordgrade: 5:27pm On Jan 28, 2023
Workch:
is it betrer to suffer for one month in other or have credible election that can decide your 8years?
trash! Even if you like hype Saint Obi till tomorrow, you can't deceive me about Senior Tinubu. But I dare you Obi is not the one. Know this and have peace!
Re: Naira Swap Targets Cash Hoarders Not Businesses, Says Buhari by Oxfordgrade: 5:32pm On Jan 28, 2023
BeardedmeatR:
Banks being far away from those places is because, the population and economic activities are low. Their kit and kin that left for Lagos never looked back.. unlike Igbos that must return home at least once every year... even in the face of mounting insecurity.

Let them stop wailing and locate the nearest bank to lodge their money.
you won't understand their pain until you suffer same. So close mouth please!
Re: Naira Swap Targets Cash Hoarders Not Businesses, Says Buhari by Oxfordgrade: 5:38pm On Jan 28, 2023
socialmediaman:
Buhari is doing what he knows best. If nothing else, people will remember how he prevented a certain heroin trafficker from using money to buy and bully his way into office

Meanwhile, commit to voting at the presidential election, and mobilizing at least 3 more persons to vote
I wonder what more excuses you will give when that same heroin trafficker survived all odd and win same? Now Buari is no longer impostor abii?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Sokoto Inconclusive: What Game Is Tambuwal Playing? By Aminu Mohammed / Finally, May 29: Nothing Will Stop The Handover To Tinubu — Buhari / Popular Isese Activist, Talolorun Remanded In Prison For Defaming Emir Of Ilorin

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.