Stats: 3,152,729 members, 7,816,999 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:38 PM

New Naira Notes: Pressure In South-east As Sit-at-home Shortens Deadline - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / New Naira Notes: Pressure In South-east As Sit-at-home Shortens Deadline (387 Views)

Enugu Shuts Down As Sit At Home Bites Harder / Military Helicopters Patrol For Buhari As Sit-At-Home Paralyses Enugu, Imo / South-East Pain Spreads To Lagos As Sit-At-Home Affect Transporters (2) (3) (4)

New Naira Notes: Pressure In South-east As Sit-at-home Shortens Deadline by Corrinthians(m): 11:47am On Jan 29, 2023

There was a scramble in the entire South-East States on Saturday, following the attempt by residents to beat the deadline for the return of old naira notes to banks.

This is even as confusion pervaded the entire region following the early rejection of old notes by most businesses.

DAILY POST reports that this is as a result of the discovery that despite the announcement of the opening of banks on Saturday and Sunday (January 28 and 29) for the collection of old notes, January 30, which is just a day to the deadline, will be sit-at-home.

Secessionist group, Indigenous People of Biafra, IPOB, had in 2021 declared sit-at-home protest in the South east as a way to drive home the unhappiness of its members for the continued detention of their leader, Mazi Nnamdi Kanu.

Despite calling off the protest, Mondays every week have continued to witness dull economic activities in the zone.

In most areas where DAILY POST monitored activities, it was discovered that while many residents did not have the new notes to spend, many business concerns were already rejecting the old notes.

As early as 7am on Saturday, the gates of new generation banks, including Fidelity Bank, Access Bank, Zenith, UBA and First Bank, all located along the Enugu-Onitsha Expressway in Awka, were already overtaken by customers, who were waiting to deposit old naira notes in their accounts.

It was the same situation in Enugu, Ebonyi, Abia and Imo States.

Also, at Ukwu Oji area of Awka where there is a concentration of bank branches, the story was not different, as many others also queued up to make withdrawals from Automated Teller Machines (ATM).

The situation was also not different inside the bank branches of Nnamdi Azikiwe University, Awka.

At the Enugu-Onitsha expressway branch of Access Bank, customers were seen withdrawing new notes, but there was also a huge number of residents waiting to make withdrawals, just as only two out of the over ten ATM points in the bank were paying.

Meanwhile, in Eke Awka Market, the most popular in the Anambra State capital, traders on Saturday started rejecting the old notes. Though some accepted, many others insisted they didn’t have the time to take them to the bank on Sunday for deposit.

A trader in the provision section of the market, Mr Cornelius Egbe said: “I just came out today (Saturday), just to fulfil all righteousness. I am not hoping to make so much sales, because I stopped collecting old notes on Friday (January, 27).

“I have calculated all these things. Though banks will open today (Saturday) and Sunday, I cannot collect the old notes and go to the bank on Sunday to pay in. By the way, on Monday, there will be sit-at-home, and on Tuesday, which is the last day, there will be too many people in the banks. Many people who are doing big businesses will be coming to deposit their cash, and many of them may have connections with banks, so I cannot take small money and go and queue up for the whole day.”

Many people have faulted the new CBN economic policy, but there are others who have said that the policy may curb inflation, and restore the dignity of the naira.

An Awka resident, a politician, Hon Azubuike Ebe said: “Not that I’m happy with what is happening, but for one week now, I have had N10,000 of the new notes. I have refused to spend it. I have only been using transfers and POS to make payment for everything I needed.

“My wife too has some of the new notes, but I have encouraged her to keep every new note that comes in. We do not know where Nigeria is headed, so if all we need to feed our family after 31 January is the new notes, then we can rely on what we have,” he said.

https://dailypost.ng/2023/01/29/new-naira-notes-pressure-in-south-east-as-sit-at-home-shortens-deadline/

Cc: Mynd44, Nlfpmod.

Re: New Naira Notes: Pressure In South-east As Sit-at-home Shortens Deadline by Xscape1993(m): 11:49am On Jan 29, 2023
The pains of the poor masses. The evil party is a party of pain....
Re: New Naira Notes: Pressure In South-east As Sit-at-home Shortens Deadline by Opintiwa: 11:53am On Jan 29, 2023
The masses have suffered for 7+years extra one month won't kill them .

Ebola Hamed thiefnu'bu and anything APC must not be allowed near the presidential seat again
Re: New Naira Notes: Pressure In South-east As Sit-at-home Shortens Deadline by Roboto11: 11:55am On Jan 29, 2023
Sit-at-home.

Re: New Naira Notes: Pressure In South-east As Sit-at-home Shortens Deadline by inoki247: 11:56am On Jan 29, 2023
And they're the one jubilating more on the policies not knowing say na everybody e go touch....

Nigeria needs all this effective Momo type of system that you don't need Data to send money and no Xtra charges like the way dem Benin Republic, Togo, Cote D'Ivoire nd Ghana other Africa countries av been using dem more Dan banks...

Most Africa countries no too rate banks dey are all used to mobile wallet cos they hardly fail...

Re: New Naira Notes: Pressure In South-east As Sit-at-home Shortens Deadline by ScamHunter: 11:56am On Jan 29, 2023
APC - A Party of Crooks

Another Party of Criminals

Nigerians, we warned you in 2015. We are warning you again in 2023. Vote out this party that comprises people without sense making senseless policies. Nigeria can get better. Even the looting PDP wasn't this calamitous. APC only knows how to dish out suffering to the masses.
Re: New Naira Notes: Pressure In South-east As Sit-at-home Shortens Deadline by Ogbuefi2020: 11:57am On Jan 29, 2023
Rubbish. The scramble for new note is a national issue and has nothing to do with sit at home. Meanwhile the deadline has been extended
Re: New Naira Notes: Pressure In South-east As Sit-at-home Shortens Deadline by Ogbuefi2020: 12:01pm On Jan 29, 2023
inoki247:
And they're the one jubilating more on the policies not knowing say na everybody e go touch....

Nigeria needs all this effective Momo type of system that you don't need Data to send money and no Xtra charges like the way dem Benin Republic, Togo, Cote D'Ivoire nd Ghana other Africa countries av been using dem more Dan banks...

Most Africa countries no too rate banks dey are all use to mobile wallet cos they hardly fail...
And vote buyers are the ones wailing because it hurts them more, let them not claim to care about the masses

Re: New Naira Notes: Pressure In South-east As Sit-at-home Shortens Deadline by OkoroBufo: 12:06pm On Jan 29, 2023
And ibos would open their mouth to tell us that they do not bow to a man. I could do three things with my ibo identity;
1. promise to take them to Lagos

2. promise them biafra

3. promise them jewish nationality.
With any of the 3 conditions, they would not only submit themselves under my authority but would also contribute their parents pensions in making me a billionaire.
I so much envy Simon Ekpa, I pray FG could get him arrested a lock him up with Cownu so that i can take over his place. I also want to be locking up some people's parents at home at least three times a week.

- Okoro bufo

Re: New Naira Notes: Pressure In South-east As Sit-at-home Shortens Deadline by inoki247: 12:08pm On Jan 29, 2023
Ogbuefi2020:

And vote buyers are the ones wailing because it hurts them more, let them not claim to care about the masses

Lol keep crying Abt vote buyers when people are using the new note to cash out u think say he hard the politicians to get Access to the money....

Just dey play....

Re: New Naira Notes: Pressure In South-east As Sit-at-home Shortens Deadline by Corrinthians(m): 12:22pm On Jan 29, 2023
I pity Igbos.🥺🥺

God bless Nigeria.♥️♥️

By the way, why are they rushing to get the notes? Didn't Kanu launch a currency for Biafra the other year? Didn't we see Igbos create threads in jubilation of people burning the naira notes?

The people of the East are so wise. 😫

Re: New Naira Notes: Pressure In South-east As Sit-at-home Shortens Deadline by yarimo(m): 12:24pm On Jan 29, 2023
That is very good, IPOB terrorists should Sit at home for month to show how serious they are. grin

Re: New Naira Notes: Pressure In South-east As Sit-at-home Shortens Deadline by PureMe01: 12:30pm On Jan 29, 2023
February 10.
Re: New Naira Notes: Pressure In South-east As Sit-at-home Shortens Deadline by Corrinthians(m): 12:42pm On Jan 29, 2023
Ogbuefi2020:
Rubbish. The scramble for new note is a national issue and has nothing to do with sit at home. Meanwhile the deadline has been extended
Come out tomorrow and collect wotowoto. grin grin
Re: New Naira Notes: Pressure In South-east As Sit-at-home Shortens Deadline by EzeNwaanyiMmili(f): 12:43pm On Jan 29, 2023
Corrinthians:
I pity Igbos.🥺🥺

God bless Nigeria.♥️♥️

By the way, why are they rushing to get the notes? Didn't Kanu launch a currency for Biafra the other year? Didn't we see Igbos create threads in jubilation of people burning the naira notes?

pity akwuna mulu gi first

Re: New Naira Notes: Pressure In South-east As Sit-at-home Shortens Deadline by JAMO84: 1:01pm On Jan 29, 2023
We don't bow to anyone, we don't bow to anyone, but few smelling illiterates are making you sit at home, on the most important day of the week. We know the real cowards.
Re: New Naira Notes: Pressure In South-east As Sit-at-home Shortens Deadline by jmoore(m): 1:07pm On Jan 29, 2023
JAMO84:
We don't bow to anyone, we don't bow to anyone, but few smelling illiterates are making you sit at home, on the most important day of the week. We know the real cowards.

The problem with most of you is that you sit in your caves to form an opinion about an area you have never visited.

If banks open on Monday, people will go the bank.

Are all banks owned by Igbo people?
Re: New Naira Notes: Pressure In South-east As Sit-at-home Shortens Deadline by IGBOSON1: 1:17pm On Jan 29, 2023
Corrinthians:
I pity Igbos.🥺🥺

God bless Nigeria.♥️♥️

You have a sick preoccupation with anything to do with Ndigbo even though you despise them passionately! No be madness be dat!?

It should be obvious to observers by now that you Igbo haters are the ones driving this sit-at-home narrative….both on media and occasionally on the ground by going out to commit murder just to try and sustain the element of fear!

IPOB have long since cancelled said sit-at-home, but you vile bigots have seen it as an opportunity to try and weaken Peter Obis’ south-east support base! This is what all this is about now and why you insist on trying to keep the issue in public discourse and social-media!

You are either Yoruba or Fulani (if i’m mistaken then tell us your ethnicity), and can’t imagine a situation where those you’ve seen as ‘defeated slaves’ can be president of your ‘one Nigeria’…..a position you see as reserved only for the Fulani or Yoruba!
Re: New Naira Notes: Pressure In South-east As Sit-at-home Shortens Deadline by Corrinthians(m): 5:25pm On Jan 29, 2023
IGBOSON1:

You have a sick preoccupation with anything to do with Ndigbo even though you despise them passionately! No be madness be dat!?

It should be obvious to observers by now that you Igbo haters are the ones driving this sit-at-home narrative….both on media and occasionally on the ground by going out to commit murder just to try and sustain the element of fear!

IPOB have long since cancelled said sit-at-home, but you vile bigots have seen it as an opportunity to try and weaken Peter Obis’ south-east support base! This is what all this is about now and why you insist on trying to keep the issue in public discourse and social-media!

You are either Yoruba or Fulani (if i’m mistaken then tell us your ethnicity), and can’t imagine a situation where those you’ve seen as ‘defeated slaves’ can be president of your ‘one Nigeria’…..a position you see as reserved only for the Fulani or Yoruba!

How The Obidient Movement Was Birthed With Anger And “vawulnce” / Exposed! 2023 Election Plans & How Tinubu Bought Delegates/governors To Get Tick / Fashola: Tinubu Spoke Against Naira Redesign As Fighter Of Downtrodden (Video)