Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,650 members, 7,823,844 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 04:22 PM

Please How Long Does It Take To Cook Ukwa? - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Please How Long Does It Take To Cook Ukwa? (950 Views)

Lady Cooked Rubbish When Asked To Cook For The Family (Photos) / How To Cook Ukwa: Amazing Igbo Food / "I Bought Plastic Fake Fish That Refused To Cook" - Man (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Please How Long Does It Take To Cook Ukwa? by lovediehatelive(m): 6:33pm On Jan 29, 2023
So yesterday I bought freshly peeled ukwa from a woman in the market.

I've missed it so much, so I decided to prepare it.

However, things didn't go as planned.

My plan was to perboil it for like five minutes, then cook with some ingredients, just like jollof rice.

I've been boiling it since, over 1 hour now, it's yet to become soft. If I take small and chew, it's still strong.

I don't want to waste it, please how long will it take to done?
Re: Please How Long Does It Take To Cook Ukwa? by chival(f): 8:35pm On Jan 29, 2023
lovediehatelive:
So yesterday I bought freshly peeled ukwa from a woman in the market.

I've missed it so much, so I decided to prepare it.

However, things didn't go as planned.

My plan was to perboil it for like five minutes, then cook with some ingredients, just like jollof rice.

I've been boiling it since, over 1 hour now, it's yet to become soft. If I take small and chew, it's still strong.

I don't want to waste it, please how long will it take to done?
Unfortunately, ukwa (breadfruit) takes a fairly long time to cook. You just have to be patient until it's soft. If you add the other ingredients before it's completely soft, it will remain hard and be ruined. Next time, consider adding a little potash to act as a softener.
Re: Please How Long Does It Take To Cook Ukwa? by lovediehatelive(m): 8:04am On Jan 30, 2023
chival:

Unfortunately, ukwa (breadfruit) takes a fairly long time to cook. You just have to be patient until it's soft. If you add the other ingredients before it's completely soft, it will remain hard and be ruined. Next time, consider adding a little potash to act as a softener.

Thanks.

So I have to add potash. Hope it doesn't have side effects.

And how long will it take to get done with potash
Re: Please How Long Does It Take To Cook Ukwa? by mannasseh(m): 8:43am On Jan 30, 2023
you either add potash to it or something called '' ngo' in igbo language. it makes it cook faster and no side effect
Re: Please How Long Does It Take To Cook Ukwa? by lovediehatelive(m): 8:58am On Jan 30, 2023
mannasseh:
you either add potash to it or something called '' ngo' in igbo language. it makes it cook faster and no side effect

Should've known better! I thought you just cook it like rice 🙆🏾‍♂️
Re: Please How Long Does It Take To Cook Ukwa? by chival(f): 12:38pm On Jan 30, 2023
lovediehatelive:

Thanks.

So I have to add potash. Hope it doesn't have side effects.

And how long will it take to get done with potash
No side effects that I am aware of. However, use moderately. It will cut cooking time in half. Unfortunately, I can't really give a time frame.
Re: Please How Long Does It Take To Cook Ukwa? by lovediehatelive(m): 10:26pm On Jan 31, 2023
chival:

No side effects that I am aware of. However, use moderately. It will cut cooking time in half. Unfortunately, I can't really give a time frame.

Thanks.

I'll try again next time.

How I wish I can just burst into any restaurant and order for ukwa like rice and beans and swallow.

Are there any special places I can get the cooked ones
Re: Please How Long Does It Take To Cook Ukwa? by chival(f): 1:04pm On Feb 01, 2023
lovediehatelive:

Thanks.

I'll try again next time.

How I wish I can just burst into any restaurant and order for ukwa like rice and beans and swallow.

Are there any special places I can get the cooked ones
You are welcome. Unfortunately, I rarely eat out so I wouldn't know.
Re: Please How Long Does It Take To Cook Ukwa? by lovediehatelive(m): 4:55pm On Feb 04, 2023
chival:

You are welcome. Unfortunately, I rarely eat out so I wouldn't know.

It's alright.

I'll try again.

(1) (Reply)

Small Chops In Warri,, Ozubi, Ughelli, Sapale,eku ,abraka In Delta Sate / Efo Shoko / Check Out The Lists Of The Best Smoothie Shops In Port Harcourt

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.