Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,765 members, 7,817,111 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:05 AM

PDP G-5 Must Stop Arrogating Powers They Don’t Have To Themselves – Babatope - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / PDP G-5 Must Stop Arrogating Powers They Don’t Have To Themselves – Babatope (9808 Views)

PDP G-5 Governors Visit Tinubu (Video, Photos) / 'I Never Held Meetings With PDP’s G-5 Govs In London' - Tinubu Declares / Babangida To Broker Peace Between Atiku, PDP G-5 Governors (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

PDP G-5 Must Stop Arrogating Powers They Don’t Have To Themselves – Babatope by bennybuhari: 7:42am On Jan 30, 2023
Chief Ebenezer Babatope, a former Minister of Transport and chieftain of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) marked 80 years of his existence on earth last week. In this exclusive interview with TEMIDAYO AKINSUYI, he shares his thoughts on his life and developments in the country ahead of the 2023 general elections. Excerpts:

Last week, President Muhammadu Buhari and other eminent Nigerians congratulated you on the occasion of your 80th birthday. How do you feel at 80?

I feel good at 80 and I thank God Almighty because I never knew I will live this long. I am very grateful to God who has kept me this far. My life has been an eventful one because the time I spent with Papa Obafemi Awolowo in the Unity Party of Nigeria (UPN). Papa Awolowo gave leadership and inspired us as youths to lead Nigeria and used our privileged position for the common good and advancement of humanity. That is the legacy that Papa Awolowo left behind for us. That is the path I have followed all my life and I am grateful to God who has kept me this far. I am very happy to have been appointed the National Director of Organisation of the Unity Party of Nigeria (UPN) by Papa Awolowo at that time, and it was a glorious thing to have served under Papa Awolowo because I was lucky that Papa chose me as an official of his party at the time when people who were better than me politically and ideologically were all over the place. And for that, I would ever be grateful to him. So, it was a pleasure to serve the party and to rekindle the energy of Papa Awolowo’s ideological life. Thank God for it, and it was a good reflection, very good memory. I would forever thank my God for making that possible and for making it something I would live with.

In a country where life expectancy is below 60 years, what is the secret of your longevity?

It is because of the fact that I believe that life is one thing that must be handled with care. You do so by loving the people and doing everything they want as you are enabled to do. The reason why God blessed you is for you to be a blessing to others. That has been my philosophy. The people have the power and that is one of Papa Awolowo’s teachings.

What are your regrets?

I have many regrets. The Nigeria Papa left has been compromised; it has been destroyed because Papa taught us all the principles that would make the nation great. We never thought we would have this kind of thing whereby elections would be hopelessly rigged by those who are in power to ensure they have political dominance in power and in government. I never knew, now I know better. If you want to win election in Nigeria, you must pray to God Almighty and you must pray to God to help you solve the problem of Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC). INEC is a terrible organisation now; they manipulate election at will; they are never afraid of God Almighty and, therefore, the Nigerian people are held at the mercy of those who do not want Nigerians to have their freedom to elect those who would govern them. The best option one can have, Chief Awolowo said, is democracy, that democracy is the last option for mankind. Mankind can only progress if we enthrone proper democracy. Fela Anikulapo-Kuti, I will share his view in all my interviews. He gave a proper definition of democracy when he was alive. He said, ‘Democracy is demonstration of craze, crazy demon.’ And he was right. When you have democracy that was not guided by rules, that has estranged government from the people, then you have ‘demon crazy.’ Not democracy, but ‘demon crazy,’ ‘crazy demon.’ Well, we pray to God Almighty that INEC will, one day, change its mind and give the people of Nigeria the right to elect those who would govern them, and when they do that, they would enable Nigeria to stabilise democracy.

However, my major regret is my unjust dismissal from the University of Lagos (UNILAG) by General Olusegun Obasanjo without any retirement benefit to date. Obasanjo dismissed me from the services of the University of Lagos in 1978 as a result of the “Ali Must Go” demonstrations of Nigerian students in 1978.I was accused of supporting students against the government when the late Segun Okeowo led the students for reforms in Nigeria’s educational system. The Governing Council of the university later met in November of that same year to turn my dismissal to retirement.

The university later sent my papers to merge my services with the then Ministry of Establishment which was then under the late Brigadier-General Solomon Kikiowo Omojokun. I am not blaming Omojokun but today at 78, I served my country meritoriously as a public servant but today, I have no established mark from the federal government to say this is what I have done. I am still bitter because nobody has paid me a single kobo after my services to the university as retirement benefits.

Former president Olusegun Obasanjo wrote a letter few days ago where he endorsed Peter Obi, the presidential candidate of Labour Party. Do you think his endorsement carries any weight?

Obasanjo can do anything he wants to do but I know people also have the power to also undo things with their votes. Obasanjo can write any letter, in fact, he can endorse anyone he wants. He has freedom and constitutional rights to do that but I know that on election day, Nigerians will decide who they want as their leaders in the next four years.

What is your take on the concept of Emilokan in Nigerian politics?

Emilokan is Bola Tinubu’s style. When I hear him say that, I began to laugh because he is just wasting his bloody time. I don’t know the conception of Emilokan in the minds of Tinubu but all I know is that Emilokan which literally means ‘It is my turn’ is all about self-interest. Emilokan does not take cognizance of the fact that the people have the power to do things for themselves and choose the leaders they want. Nigerians must choose their leaders and they must be given the opportunity and freedom to do so in an unfettered manner. Emilokan can only become meaningful when you grant the rights and freedom to the people to elect the leaders they want to govern them.

Do you think the controversy trailing the redesigning of the Naira should be addressed by the FG?

I think we should give the government the chance to succeed. The government has a motive on why it keeps insisting that we must redesign the naira notes and vowed not to extend the January 31st deadline for usage of the old notes. We should respect the decision of the government because the moneybags want to use the Naira. They have stored to frustrate the wishes of Nigerians. So, let’s give them a chance to succeed. By the grace of God, we are going to see the back of the money marauders.

The Osun State Election Petition Tribunal has sacked Ademola Adeleke as the state governor and declared Gboyega Oyetola as the winner of the governorship election. As a chieftain of the PDP, were you shocked at the outcome of the ruling?

It is a very funny judgment. I know that by the grace of God, the will of the people of Osun who freely gave their mandate to Governor Ademola Adeleke will prevail. The tribunal is not the last, we still have the Court of Appeal and the Supreme Court. I am confident that they will reverse the ruling of the tribunal and uphold the wishes of the people. The Osun people rejected the APC and chose Ademola Adeleke as their governor and nobody can in a cavalier manner make nonsense of that wish. Those who gave the judgment will be very sorry for themselves because the people have shown to them that they are irrelevant when it comes to who really have the power to determine things for the people of Nigeria.

The presidential election is just less than a month away and the G-5 governors led by Nyesom Wike are still adamant on not supporting Atiku Abubakar. Do you think any solution is in sight?

We have tried our best to placate them. At this stage, if they want to go, goodluck to them. If they want to remain in PDP, the better for all of us. Governor Wike and his allies must not arrogate powers that they don’t have to themselves. If they do so, they will make mistakes and may regret it. We all love Wike for his courage but when you arrogate powers to yourself, then you may lose the support of the people.

https://independent.ng/pdp-g-5-must-stop-arrogating-powers-they-dont-have-to-themselves-babatope/

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: PDP G-5 Must Stop Arrogating Powers They Don’t Have To Themselves – Babatope by superlanny(m): 7:44am On Jan 30, 2023
This man makes a lot of sense and I agree with most of his thoughts not all of them. It's nice to see aged people that actually have sense, unlike some that are desperate to get power at all cost, despite being incapable.

G5 just dey play with Atiku, it's not like the serial thief has anything to offer.

7 Likes 4 Shares

Re: PDP G-5 Must Stop Arrogating Powers They Don’t Have To Themselves – Babatope by aylive02(m): 7:46am On Jan 30, 2023
G-5, Babatope, PDP, and APC are all miscreants

7 Likes

Re: PDP G-5 Must Stop Arrogating Powers They Don’t Have To Themselves – Babatope by neatideas: 7:51am On Jan 30, 2023
All will be well
Re: PDP G-5 Must Stop Arrogating Powers They Don’t Have To Themselves – Babatope by Victorclean1: 7:55am On Jan 30, 2023
Yes. Wike is a grand Ayatollah of foolishness. He is going down the drain and should leave the other governors alone.

The north taught him a political lesson through tambuwal.

Taught Amaechi lesson through cabals.

Is it not high time SS politicians should go in and re-strategize?.

9 Likes

Re: PDP G-5 Must Stop Arrogating Powers They Don’t Have To Themselves – Babatope by Johnnyessence(m): 8:00am On Jan 30, 2023
Baba ebenezer babaTope talk truths here

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: PDP G-5 Must Stop Arrogating Powers They Don’t Have To Themselves – Babatope by hisexcellency34: 8:11am On Jan 30, 2023
They are now confused and can't agree anymore. Yeye G-string

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: PDP G-5 Must Stop Arrogating Powers They Don’t Have To Themselves – Babatope by Cherish233: 8:13am On Jan 30, 2023
Lol, it's starting gradually.😆

Anyways well done sir!.

1 Like

Re: PDP G-5 Must Stop Arrogating Powers They Don’t Have To Themselves – Babatope by Houseofglam7(f): 8:27am On Jan 30, 2023
🏃🏽‍♀️🏃🏽‍♀️🏃🏽‍♀️🏃🏽‍♀️🏃🏽‍♀️🏃🏽‍♀️🏃🏽‍♀️
Re: PDP G-5 Must Stop Arrogating Powers They Don’t Have To Themselves – Babatope by tradepunter: 8:27am On Jan 30, 2023
Yes
Re: PDP G-5 Must Stop Arrogating Powers They Don’t Have To Themselves – Babatope by Felixalex(m): 8:27am On Jan 30, 2023
Hmmmm
Re: PDP G-5 Must Stop Arrogating Powers They Don’t Have To Themselves – Babatope by MANNABBQGRILLS: 8:27am On Jan 30, 2023
peepydelano:
With Atiku there shall be no hunger and poverty in Nigeria anymore . Since we all know that Obi can’t win, why then waste your votes? Just cast your votes for Atiku and let’s enjoy good governance.
You know what?
THIS time around it will be easier for Jagaban cos the looting party has been divided into 3 mushroom parties.

Sane, honest and hardworking Nigerians that are not suffering from self imposed amnesia will never and can never forget that Atiku and his boy boy Obi Pandora are one and the same.......

It is just a case of Olosho wey change location.....

Mindlog:

Let the vote be wasted

Thank you, waste it.
As una dey waste am,
E dey sweet us kiss

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: PDP G-5 Must Stop Arrogating Powers They Don’t Have To Themselves – Babatope by MANNABBQGRILLS: 8:27am On Jan 30, 2023
Houseofglam7:
🏃🏽‍♀️🏃🏽‍♀️🏃🏽‍♀️🏃🏽‍♀️🏃🏽‍♀️🏃🏽‍♀️🏃🏽‍♀️

Why are you running ?!

Houseofglam7:

To tell the apostle oooooo
🏃🏽‍♀️🏃🏽‍♀️🏃🏽‍♀️🏃🏽‍♀️🏃🏽‍♀️🏃🏽‍♀️🏃🏽‍♀️🏃🏽‍♀️
Lol 😀.
Apostle must hear of this!

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: PDP G-5 Must Stop Arrogating Powers They Don’t Have To Themselves – Babatope by b0rn2fuck(m): 8:28am On Jan 30, 2023
Last last, all gra gra na February ,if Dem no postpone ham
Re: PDP G-5 Must Stop Arrogating Powers They Don’t Have To Themselves – Babatope by INTEGRITYA1(m): 8:28am On Jan 30, 2023
Okay
Re: PDP G-5 Must Stop Arrogating Powers They Don’t Have To Themselves – Babatope by MajorOvakporaye(f): 8:28am On Jan 30, 2023
Wike is a foolish man. G5 has no power.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: PDP G-5 Must Stop Arrogating Powers They Don’t Have To Themselves – Babatope by codeplace(m): 8:28am On Jan 30, 2023
G
Re: PDP G-5 Must Stop Arrogating Powers They Don’t Have To Themselves – Babatope by MajorOvakporaye(f): 8:28am On Jan 30, 2023
post=120490588:

Why are you running ?!

Keep kwayet there!!! You know nothing.

1 Like

Re: PDP G-5 Must Stop Arrogating Powers They Don’t Have To Themselves – Babatope by Emmypure: 8:28am On Jan 30, 2023
As e dey pain dem, e dey sweet us.
As e dey sweet us, omo e dey pain Dem.
Re: PDP G-5 Must Stop Arrogating Powers They Don’t Have To Themselves – Babatope by MajorOvakporaye(f): 8:29am On Jan 30, 2023
post=120490583:
Reading

Have you collected your January stipend?

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: PDP G-5 Must Stop Arrogating Powers They Don’t Have To Themselves – Babatope by Skill9ja: 8:29am On Jan 30, 2023
Seriously, this coming election would be the best of its kind and I pray to almighty Allah to make things work out well for this country.
Looking at the way the north is going, Kwakwanso is likely to later step down for Atiku and most of us here in the south west, I mean the youths and mostly Christian youths supports Obi.

Now the question is where Tinubu thinking of getting his votes from? I trust an average Igbo man will not see candidate like Obi and decide to go for Tinubu or Atiku, apart from tribal differences, easterners are sensible people and I’m not saying this for anything other than my experience with them, I even dated one Igbo girl and as I’m typing, I still feel like getting back together with her.

Leave all the hatred, religion and tribal differences, developed nations were not built on these things!

One Love from IBADAN!!

2 Likes

Re: PDP G-5 Must Stop Arrogating Powers They Don’t Have To Themselves – Babatope by DennisEche(m): 8:29am On Jan 30, 2023
G5 turned Ashebi boys. no level

2 Likes

Re: PDP G-5 Must Stop Arrogating Powers They Don’t Have To Themselves – Babatope by bigdammyj: 8:30am On Jan 30, 2023
Noted.
Re: PDP G-5 Must Stop Arrogating Powers They Don’t Have To Themselves – Babatope by bigboluet(m): 8:30am On Jan 30, 2023
This is the best time for wike to swallow his pride and act like a leader. Some of his followers are on the ballot, hence he should not use his "UNREALISTIC" agitation to implicate them.

Sooner or later, Kwankwaso will step down for ATIKU as the Northern Elders are already playing same card they did with Tambuwal doing the primaries.

Most of Kwankwaso followers have decamped and still decamping. The G5 are becoming like a dead lion.

I really want a better Nigeria and I will gladly VOTE ATIKU ABUBAKAR the PDP Candidate ahead of APC candidate.

2 Likes

Re: PDP G-5 Must Stop Arrogating Powers They Don’t Have To Themselves – Babatope by codeplace(m): 8:32am On Jan 30, 2023
Let's take about Japa. Join us. Check my signature
Re: PDP G-5 Must Stop Arrogating Powers They Don’t Have To Themselves – Babatope by Tflex01: 8:33am On Jan 30, 2023
G-5 governors are now in a dilemma.

I think Wike is scared to declare for Tinubu after the reaction of Obidients to that post by his PA. grin

1 Like

Re: PDP G-5 Must Stop Arrogating Powers They Don’t Have To Themselves – Babatope by 2blessed01(m): 8:34am On Jan 30, 2023
WIKE and co don't give a fxck grin

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

FG To Reduce Salaries Of Public Servants / North Will Regret Break-up - Afenifere / Otedola Sues Tambuwal, Lawan, Others For N250bn

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.