Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,146 members, 7,818,434 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:45 PM

New Notes Scarcity: CBN Issues Fresh Directive To Banks - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / New Notes Scarcity: CBN Issues Fresh Directive To Banks (30992 Views)

Naira Scarcity: CBN's Update On Naira Notes For March 22nd, 2023 / Naira Scarcity: CBN, 15 Banks Working On President’s Directive – Emefiele / More Bank Accounts To Be Shut As CBN Issues Strict BVN Rules (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: New Notes Scarcity: CBN Issues Fresh Directive To Banks by NaijaCover(m): 6:46am On Jan 31, 2023
Following The CBN Update
Re: New Notes Scarcity: CBN Issues Fresh Directive To Banks by yemmit90: 6:46am On Jan 31, 2023
This is a way to go, I supported this with CBN. This is the best way to make people adopt electronic transactions. By the time you need 100k, and the banks pay you with 5 naira notes, no one will teach you to make electronic transfer.

1000, 500 and 200 naira notes must be very scarce.

2 Likes

Re: New Notes Scarcity: CBN Issues Fresh Directive To Banks by Cornerstone2018: 6:50am On Jan 31, 2023
obyrich:
Every new note can be tracked to the bank it was issued. Some people have started trading it. Some people will fall victim and be used as scape goats

Story, no be naija we dey?
Re: New Notes Scarcity: CBN Issues Fresh Directive To Banks by taiwotimitt: 6:50am On Jan 31, 2023
For you to be on a safer hands, register your business to avoid stories that touch heart

Re: New Notes Scarcity: CBN Issues Fresh Directive To Banks by yaki84: 6:51am On Jan 31, 2023
SmartPolician:
This makes perfect sense. In other countries, people still spend coins. Why has it become a crime for our ATM to dispense #100 and #200? Our ATMs always dispense #500 and #1000.

That leads to scarcity of change, and Lagos conductors will even refuse to carry you because you have no change.
Na only for banking halll they will pay you 100, 50, 10 or 5naira bill.

ATM will only dispense the new notes.

I love what is happening, they dont want to still pay those old notes so it wont recirculate.

1 Like

Re: New Notes Scarcity: CBN Issues Fresh Directive To Banks by adioolayi(m): 6:51am On Jan 31, 2023
CBN ...na Banks dey cast Una...dem dey sell the new notes cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy

1 Like

Re: New Notes Scarcity: CBN Issues Fresh Directive To Banks by Sonnobax15(m): 6:51am On Jan 31, 2023
Romanoff:
PoS wey dey charge 100naira for every 1000 naira?
. I swear..the whole thing just tire everybody...... imagine I was charged#1500 for #15,000 yesterday at a POS....na wa
Re: New Notes Scarcity: CBN Issues Fresh Directive To Banks by princeade86(m): 6:52am On Jan 31, 2023
obyrich:
Every new note can be tracked to the bank it was issued. Some people have started trading it. Some people will fall victim and be used as scape goats
will they ever arrest or prosecute them? How many times did they warned that u must not spray money on party, yet they doing it. And did they arrest anyone? No law in Nigeria

1 Like

Re: New Notes Scarcity: CBN Issues Fresh Directive To Banks by 0taPiaPia(m): 6:53am On Jan 31, 2023
Neyoohpompy:
Cryptocurrency is only a good investment if you can at least HODL it for 4 years.

On point bro
Re: New Notes Scarcity: CBN Issues Fresh Directive To Banks by Temidayo9(m): 6:54am On Jan 31, 2023
Revolution2022:
The new naira notes are already in the hands of politicians whom buhari and emiefele are trying to prevent from using it for campaign bribe.
It may not be true cos CBN said from the onset that few notes would be printed to encourage cashless,

2 Likes

Re: New Notes Scarcity: CBN Issues Fresh Directive To Banks by yaki84: 6:54am On Jan 31, 2023
gabbasin:
CBN is just finding a way out of it's failure
What failures?

They deliberately reduced the volume of the new notes so those who like hoarding and storing them wont have access to it.

For now no banker can swap new notes with politicians.
Re: New Notes Scarcity: CBN Issues Fresh Directive To Banks by yaki84: 6:58am On Jan 31, 2023
Itisallright:
1. No Bank is authorised to pay out OLD NOTES again via ATMs or in bank branches over the counter

2. No payment of new notes over the counter. Banks are only allowed to release new notes via ATMs

3. Corporates that require cash should only be given the old N100 notes and below. Corporates must not be given the new notes.

4. EFCC/ICPC officials will accompany CBN examiners to inspect bank branches over the next two weeks to assess full Compliance with CBN guidelines above.

5. Officials of branches that fail to comply or that release cash to Corporates and Politicians will face termination of their contracts and the respective banks will be sanctioned

6. No branch should allow an individual with multiple Debit cards to do multiple transactions on ATMs.

7. All new notes have tracking numbers to trace them back to State, Bank and Bank branches. So notes confiscated at parties and other locations can be traced back to the Bank and applicable branch

Please note that no new notes for anyone over the counter in branches. I think this make sense
Yesterday someone tried withdrawing cash over the counter, na 1995 100naira bill dem pay am..

I fear...

I just love what emefiele in collaboration with buhari are doing.

Let those thieves keep stacking cash at home
Re: New Notes Scarcity: CBN Issues Fresh Directive To Banks by yaki84: 6:59am On Jan 31, 2023
Sonnobax15:
. I swear..the whole thing just tire everybody...... imagine I was charged#1500 for #15,000 yesterday at a POS....na wa
Go queue for bank na.

2 Likes

Re: New Notes Scarcity: CBN Issues Fresh Directive To Banks by Babastrong(m): 7:03am On Jan 31, 2023
The vote buying in the forth coming election will be vital one. the politicians have gotten enough of the new notes to buy even africa.
Re: New Notes Scarcity: CBN Issues Fresh Directive To Banks by Iloveu778: 7:03am On Jan 31, 2023
Neyoohpompy:
Cryptocurrency is only a good investment if you can at least HODL it for 4 years.
Lmao, God abeg oh
Nah so I go hold sotey I loose all my savings..crypto is just another MMM

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: New Notes Scarcity: CBN Issues Fresh Directive To Banks by Hoelujohn: 7:05am On Jan 31, 2023
MightyHand:
🚦Good for the Gangstar, #5 in One million, you go count tired..

🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨
For efficiency of the cashless policy and to be stress free for the citizen, I challenge the CBN to bring down charges incur on transfers through USSD and Mobile banking to the barest minimum

i.e

amount less then #10,000 =0% charges
Above10,000 - 50,000 = 0.002% charge...

By doing this, I think it'll encourage SME and farmers market.
Imagine a kidnapper being paid 5 million naira in 20 and 50 naira notes. Them go leave the business sharp sharp

3 Likes

Re: New Notes Scarcity: CBN Issues Fresh Directive To Banks by henrybomb(m): 7:07am On Jan 31, 2023
Buhari and Emefiele just dey play

1 Like

Re: New Notes Scarcity: CBN Issues Fresh Directive To Banks by gfon(m): 7:07am On Jan 31, 2023
Benesis:
Buhari is allowing himself to be used by Emefiele
Sooner than later one bank will be burnt down.
People can't do their transactions, ATM is not dispensing cash,and banks can't dispense too.
You try bank transfer and a single transfer will take hours to days.
All it will take is a single incidence to spark the outrage and even the election which is the reason for all this hardship won't hold.

Nigerians are on the edge... Fuel crisis, high cost of things and now the fact that you can't even get cash... It's just a single incidence of a customer that will be angry in the bank and security men there not dealing with it well... And boom.. the real revolution we had been talking about
you think this is emefiele handwork?? Not at all,this is all shades of buhari last cards. And no one is burning any bank

2 Likes

Re: New Notes Scarcity: CBN Issues Fresh Directive To Banks by Romanoff(f): 7:07am On Jan 31, 2023
Sonnobax15:

I refused to use the POS o. I went into a supermarket I buy stuff frequently, bought stuff, paid with my card and asked them to add the amount I want in cash to their charge.

I hate cheating.

4 Likes

Re: New Notes Scarcity: CBN Issues Fresh Directive To Banks by segtech68: 7:11am On Jan 31, 2023
lol , this your one sentence has many story my brother ... they won start again o lol
Thanos5555:

How far, una done start again abi
Re: New Notes Scarcity: CBN Issues Fresh Directive To Banks by gabbasin: 7:18am On Jan 31, 2023
yaki84:

What failures?

They deliberately reduced the volume of the new notes so those who like hoarding and storing them wont have access to it.

For now no banker can swap new notes with politicians.
you guys are jokers if you think the politicians will really suffer this currency mop up, who are those suffering the mop up most? It's the hapless masses

1 Like

Re: New Notes Scarcity: CBN Issues Fresh Directive To Banks by Nobody: 7:19am On Jan 31, 2023
angry The sad truth is that some Nigerian are just bad people, they have zero patriotism, I am sure all they would be doing is looking for loopholes in the system, meanwhile they would be putting $100 in the AC and clean envelopes, they would leave Naira inside sacks. It kukuma for our good that Gov Emiefiele is doing all this , the looters can go and exchange for 100 Naira shey they would have to do everything to keep the value relevant. Even when they ask Oga at the Top how much money does he carry around, he said he does have Money on him, because cashless policy allows you to be accountable to yourself. I am sure inflation would drop in March if the CBN stay firm to their policies.

Just dreamt abi should I say have a flashback of the American Civil War, trust me it is not a good thing to be told to choose side, especially if you're outnumbered and you don't believe in that side. You people should get your PVC and vote Oga Atiku,so he can give spare key to a leader better than him.

1 Like

Re: New Notes Scarcity: CBN Issues Fresh Directive To Banks by Passionnn: 7:20am On Jan 31, 2023
SmartPolician:
This makes perfect sense. In other countries, people still spend coins. Why has it become a crime for our ATM to dispense #100 and #200? Our ATMs always dispense #500 and #1000.

That leads to scarcity of change, and Lagos conductors will even refuse to carry you because you have no change.
it's the value of the money that will determine what denomination of the currency one should carry along. For instance for instance during the time when Zimbabwe dollar had completely lost his value the country proposed printing a billion dollar note because at that point it'll be cumbersome for 1 buying a loaf of bread for $1000000 [/left]denomination of tens Zimbabwe dollars. So my friend it is the volume of the currency that determines which denomination 1 uses. Imagine somebody buying a bag of rice for 40,000 naira you don't expect that person to go to the market with a denomination of 10 naira note that could mean a wheelbarrow load of 10 naira just to buy a bag of rice so we must first look for measures to strengthen the currency before decid6 to use the lower a nominations thank you

5 Likes

Re: New Notes Scarcity: CBN Issues Fresh Directive To Banks by ugo227(m): 7:22am On Jan 31, 2023
This is the REAL issue….no doubt some have gotten into the wrong hands but majority of them still don’t have enough and they won’t see it …..
Revolution2022:
The new naira notes are already in the hands of politicians whom buhari and emiefele are trying to prevent from using it for campaign bribe.
Re: New Notes Scarcity: CBN Issues Fresh Directive To Banks by naijapikin2(m): 7:29am On Jan 31, 2023
I am not a supporter of tinubu, but if all these is aimed at tinubu then for once I stand with tinubu. What arrant nonsense is this?

Didn't they see him siphoning money before bringing up stupid policies to seemingly stop vote buying with cash?

Someone wants to withdraw 500k you'll now give him notes of 100, 50, 20, and even 5 naira. Haba mana. What sort of "emefielectic" joke is this

Nigeria always carrying out post preemptive measures.

Rubbish.

1 Like

Re: New Notes Scarcity: CBN Issues Fresh Directive To Banks by dochenaj: 7:31am On Jan 31, 2023
Price inflation made the #5, #10, #20 bills nonexistent.

Sadly, Nigeria has a reputation that whatever goes up never comes down with respect to price inflation.

I expected CBN to take out the #1000 and maybe #500 as a way to not only use money scarcity to curtail price inflation but also force cashless transactions.

Imagine having to pay 1,000,000 and you'll need 100 bundles of #100.

1 Like

Re: New Notes Scarcity: CBN Issues Fresh Directive To Banks by TenQ: 7:32am On Jan 31, 2023
SmartPolician:

It is called devaluation my dear.

The value of the Naira is now so low it is close to the value of ordinary paper.

On the ATam people collect an average low of N5,000 what is the maximum number of notes our ATM dispenses?

1 Like

Re: New Notes Scarcity: CBN Issues Fresh Directive To Banks by iscom(m): 7:33am On Jan 31, 2023
Good one...
Re: New Notes Scarcity: CBN Issues Fresh Directive To Banks by Parachoko: 7:36am On Jan 31, 2023
jackcanfield:
angry The sad truth is that some Nigerian are just bad people, they have zero patriotism, I am sure all they would be doing is looking for loopholes in the system, meanwhile they would be putting $100 in the AC and clean envelopes, they would leave Naira inside sacks. It kukuma for our good that Gov Emiefiele is doing all this , the looters can go and exchange for 100 Naira shey they would have to do everything to keep the value relevant. Even when they ask Oga at the Top how much money does he carry around, he said he does have Money on him, because cashless policy allows you to be accountable to yourself. I am sure inflation would drop in March if the CBN stay firm to their policies.

Just dreamt abi should I say have a flashback of the American Civil War, trust me it is not a good thing to be told to choose side, especially if you're outnumbered and you don't believe in that side. You people should get your PVC and vote Oga Atiku,so he can give spare key to a leader better than him.
Nah so dem tell us say boader closure will put an end to insecurity and make Nigerians self sufficient in agriculture, is that so today?

Them ban Aboki FX say e go help the Naira, what's the result today?

The cashless policy is a good policy, but why the rush?

The cashless policy is a policy that have been on since 2012

This rush of a thing is causing chaos

3 Likes

Re: New Notes Scarcity: CBN Issues Fresh Directive To Banks by Pymetrics: 7:36am On Jan 31, 2023
Why not instruct banks to load #100 in their atm?that is better.
Re: New Notes Scarcity: CBN Issues Fresh Directive To Banks by Komu1048(m): 7:38am On Jan 31, 2023
Itisallright:
1. No Bank is authorised to pay out OLD NOTES again via ATMs or in bank branches over the counter

2. No payment of new notes over the counter. Banks are only allowed to release new notes via ATMs

3. Corporates that require cash should only be given the old N100 notes and below. Corporates must not be given the new notes.

4. EFCC/ICPC officials will accompany CBN examiners to inspect bank branches over the next two weeks to assess full Compliance with CBN guidelines above.

5. Officials of branches that fail to comply or that release cash to Corporates and Politicians will face termination of their contracts and the respective banks will be sanctioned

6. No branch should allow an individual with multiple Debit cards to do multiple transactions on ATMs.

7. All new notes have tracking numbers to trace them back to State, Bank and Bank branches. So notes confiscated at parties and other locations can be traced back to the Bank and applicable branch

Please note that no new notes for anyone over the counter in branches. I think this make sense

A big Thumbs up for your suggestions only if it another country.

U have no idea how we worship big men especially a serving public officers. They will bribe both the bank staff n the efcc/icpc staff. And if the refuse to agree only one call will calm them down.

Law enforcement is a word for the poor in Nigeria

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

"I Started Small, Bank Of Industry Lifted Me" - Innoson / 16 Self Employed Business Skills You Can Learn Online / Elon Musk Emerges As The Highest Loser Amongst American Billionaires In 2022

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.