Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,617 members, 7,809,264 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:58 AM

Old Banknotes Redeemable Only At CBN After Deadline - Emefiele - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Old Banknotes Redeemable Only At CBN After Deadline - Emefiele (31776 Views)

Queues at CBN offices (Pictures) / I Just Deposited Old Notes At CBN - LadyTara / Banks Will Accept Old Naira Notes After Deadline - Emefiele (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Old Banknotes Redeemable Only At CBN After Deadline - Emefiele by nlfpmod: 4:54pm On Feb 01, 2023

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-HnsdnKMsA

Cash Swap: Old Banknotes Redeemable Only at CBN after Deadline, Says Emefiele

•Insists old N200, N500, N1000 no longer tenable after February 10

•Pledges no Nigerian will lose their money, seeks support

The Governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN), Mr. Godwin Emefiele, yesterday told holders of the old N200, N500 and N1000 banknotes that in line with the provision of Section 20(3) of the CBN Act, they would still have the opportunity to redeem the face value of their cash only at central bank offices nationwide after the February 10, 2023 deadline, when the currencies would have lost its legal tender status.

Also, the CBN governor assured Nigerians that nobody would lose their legitimately earned money due to the naira redesign project, saying the exercise was in the overall interest of Nigerians and the economy.

Emefiele said this during a meeting with the House of Representatives Ad-hoc Committee on the Review of the CBN’s Cashless Policy and Extension of the Timeframe of the Currency Swap programme, held in Abuja.

Emefiele who was accompanied to the meeting by all the four Deputy Governors of the CBN, before responding to the questions thrown at him by the lawmakers, apologised for his inability to appear in previous summons.

He said he was on vacation and later on a trip to Senegal with President Muhammadu Buhari.

He told the parliament that the value of old naira notes of N200, N500 and N1000 would still be redeemed even after they have ceased to be legal tender after the February 10 deadline, at the CBN.

He said the redemption was in tandem with the law, precisely section 20 (3) of CBN act, noting the essence was to mop up the old notes in circulation.

While reeling out the steps taken by the central bank to ensure the effective distribution of the new banknotes, he disclosed that about N1.9 trillion of the old banknotes had so far been collected since the commencement of the exercise.

According to him, the currency redesign policy has so far recorded about a 75 per cent success rate given the fact that many of those in the rural and underserved locations across the 36 states of the country have had the opportunity of swapping their old banknotes for the new series of the banknotes.

He noted that one of the reasons for the naira redesign was to bring in the N2.7 trillion outside the banking system which is currently being held in people’s homes.

Emefiele explained, “Besides, the general practice across the globe and that practice is that every five to eight years, the CBN is supposed to redesign or do some form of changes do its currency.

“The reason is because CBN has to be in the position from time to time to have control of money supply in the country. Unfortunately, we have not had the luxury of carrying out this important aspect of our mandate in the last almost 19 years to the extent in 2015, the currency in circulation was N1.4 trillion. “In October 2022, currency in circulation had risen to N3.23 trillion. More than double in seven years. It’s very unfortunate that it more than doubled in eight years. Out of the N3.23 trillion, more than N2.7 trillion was outside the banking system. More than N2.7 trillion is held in people’s homes.

“What that does is that it makes our mandate of monetary policy very difficult. When we are not in control out of N2.3 trillion, what we see in the banking system is just about N500 billion. There is no how our law which you the lawmakers have made for us to carry out, our work can be effective and that is the reason.

“I thank the president that in 19 years, we have had an opportunity to carry out this important aspect of our mandate. We are grateful to him because he listened after we provided him the needed explanations about what we have been going through in the monetary policy.

“Now, the president graciously gave approval on October 6, 2022, and we had expected that around December 15, the currency circulation will begin, but we were lucky that we moved forward the circulation in November when the president launched the currency.”

Speaking further, Emefiele accused commercial banks of breaching the apex bank guidelines, with the way the new naira was being sprayed in parties.

He told the lawmakers that the apex bank was working closely with relevant agencies of the federal government to ensure full compliance with the CBN guidelines issued to the banks for the seamless distribution of the new banknotes.

While anticipating more benefits of the policy in the future, he appealed to Nigerians for their support, stressing that the naira redesign was good of Nigerians.

“I addressed the bankers on Sunday and I expressed to them my disappointment and in fact, the disappointment of the president, the disappointment of leaders in the country with the way this has gone on because many of us have unfortunately seen the new naira instead of being used for the purpose it was meant, the new naira is being used in parties, in celebrations.

“Some of them (bank CEOs) said well, maybe it’s money from the ATMs and I said no, money from the ATMs are already broken. They are in leaflets but what we saw being stamped on people at parties were packages of the new naira notes which means they had breached certain aspects of the guidance note we gave to them.

“And when I met President Buhari, I told him that we have met with the EFCC, the ICPC and NFIU and that we are now going to bring EFCC, ICPC, NFIU to join us in monitoring the flow of this currency to our people. I must say that I am even delighted that even yesterday, I read that the DSS has started that, which is what we want so that everybody knows that we are conducting this activity to the best of our ability.

“We are doing this for the good of Nigerians. We are doing this so that the Nigerian economy can be better than it is today and I am saying that we are beginning to see some of the benefits.”

Continuing, Emefiele said: “Inflation last month is not rising, not stagnating but somehow moderating. We are expecting that it will continue to moderate. The exchange rate to be stable and we are hoping that with this exercise, the naira can even get stronger.

“We know in the process that some will be hurt, I will say temporarily. But it’s a pain that I will appeal to all of us to please show some understanding because the overriding benefits to Nigerians is what we are interested in which is about making our economy stronger then combatting the high incidence of insecurity.

“Yes, we saw a few failings on the part of the banks and we appealed to EFCC, ICPC, NFIU; they are currently working with our officials nationwide to make sure that this process goes on seamlessly.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thisdaylive.com/index.php/2023/02/01/cash-swap-old-banknotes-redeemable-only-at-cbn-after-deadline-says-emefiele/amp/

21 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Old Banknotes Redeemable Only At CBN After Deadline - Emefiele by Ireportlive: 4:55pm On Feb 01, 2023
cool

The guy just dribbled National Assembly

Nigeria has the current set of unintelligent power brokers and cabal in Aso Rock

So of what use is the deadline if CBN would still exchange cash

You want to mop up 3 trillion before February 10 you claim you have only achieve 1.3 trillion

You want POS to exchange note yet limit Thier withdrawals to 500k a week. How will POS make enough profit on 500k total transaction without increasing charges

130 Likes 14 Shares

Re: Old Banknotes Redeemable Only At CBN After Deadline - Emefiele by taylor88(m): 4:56pm On Feb 01, 2023
You go sell your vote for 5k

Enter bus 40k to & fro dey go CBN go deposit am

APC think say them wise

Imagine on Election Day i bath rub cream comb hair wear cloths go queue under hot sun only to vote for someone that has no manifesto other than shouting broooom Brooooooooooom broooooooooooooom

God forbid

384 Likes 40 Shares

Re: Old Banknotes Redeemable Only At CBN After Deadline - Emefiele by madridguy(m): 4:57pm On Feb 01, 2023
Commercial banks can accept them from citizens but they will only credit accounts and not pay cash. And the banks can redeem them from Central Bank. A very good move from the CBN.

44 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Old Banknotes Redeemable Only At CBN After Deadline - Emefiele by Joevics(m): 4:57pm On Feb 01, 2023
Agbado people don't even know what they are in for.
The earlier assurances was to get them to stop hoarding the naira notes.

No body will take old notes from you after 10th.

87 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Old Banknotes Redeemable Only At CBN After Deadline - Emefiele by taylor88(m): 4:57pm On Feb 01, 2023
madridguy:
grin

You don book space

Na to Vimit rubbish remain

49 Likes

Re: Old Banknotes Redeemable Only At CBN After Deadline - Emefiele by mariahAngel(f): 5:02pm On Feb 01, 2023
Only enemies of Nigeria and true democracy are against this very commendable exercise.
There's hope for Nigeria after all.

Nigeria must be great. 🇳🇬
Whether the enemies like it or not!

65 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Old Banknotes Redeemable Only At CBN After Deadline - Emefiele by Ireportlive: 5:03pm On Feb 01, 2023
taylor88:

APC think say them wise

Imagine on Election Day i bath rub cream comb hair wear cloths go queue under hot sun only to vote for someone that has no manifesto other than shouting broooom Brooooooooooom broooooooooooooom

God forbid

And you don't know people would start buying old note just to take to CBN?! Didn't you witness previous currency swap

How are you certain more than enough Cash is with Politicians since CBN confirmed 1.3 trillion

2 Likes

Re: Old Banknotes Redeemable Only At CBN After Deadline - Emefiele by IMASTEX: 5:03pm On Feb 01, 2023
Okay oh
Re: Old Banknotes Redeemable Only At CBN After Deadline - Emefiele by TalkTalkTwins(m): 5:04pm On Feb 01, 2023
ah
Re: Old Banknotes Redeemable Only At CBN After Deadline - Emefiele by Nobody: 5:05pm On Feb 01, 2023
That's a good one

1 Like

Re: Old Banknotes Redeemable Only At CBN After Deadline - Emefiele by TOPCRUISE(m): 5:05pm On Feb 01, 2023
Make CBN help us beg POS operators o.

3 Likes

Re: Old Banknotes Redeemable Only At CBN After Deadline - Emefiele by Omoapena(m): 5:06pm On Feb 01, 2023
Wey the dummies wey dey follow me argue

2 Likes

Re: Old Banknotes Redeemable Only At CBN After Deadline - Emefiele by PrincessofDSS(f): 5:06pm On Feb 01, 2023
Emefele setting the trap 🪤 of stillness

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Old Banknotes Redeemable Only At CBN After Deadline - Emefiele by MichaelSokoto(m): 5:06pm On Feb 01, 2023
Smart move!

Kudos Emefiele!
cool

14 Likes

Re: Old Banknotes Redeemable Only At CBN After Deadline - Emefiele by benuejosh: 5:06pm On Feb 01, 2023
Why is this man confused

5 Likes

Re: Old Banknotes Redeemable Only At CBN After Deadline - Emefiele by taylor88(m): 5:06pm On Feb 01, 2023
Ireportlive:

And you don't know people would start buying old note just to take to CBN?! Didn't you witness previous currency swap

How are you certain more than enough Cash is with Politicians since CBN confirmed 1.3 trillion

Let voters sale their votes for 5k and resell for 2k

Na their business

13 Likes

Re: Old Banknotes Redeemable Only At CBN After Deadline - Emefiele by factcheckmmm: 5:07pm On Feb 01, 2023

What if they start asking questions on how you got the money.

Remember police are not actually your friend especially when money is involved

Modified;; okay don't know their is functional CBN in all states thought those ones are just for document purposes,

12 Likes

Re: Old Banknotes Redeemable Only At CBN After Deadline - Emefiele by ALCOHOLKILLS(m): 5:07pm On Feb 01, 2023
😡😡😡
Re: Old Banknotes Redeemable Only At CBN After Deadline - Emefiele by opalu: 5:07pm On Feb 01, 2023
Ok
Re: Old Banknotes Redeemable Only At CBN After Deadline - Emefiele by UncommonLogic: 5:07pm On Feb 01, 2023
Worst CBN Governor EVER. This idiot is a complete olodo.

14 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Old Banknotes Redeemable Only At CBN After Deadline - Emefiele by WibusJaga: 5:07pm On Feb 01, 2023

In other words, you will not be able to use the old Naira Notes to Buy & Sell after Feb 10th.

The earlier statement that banks would still receive old notes after Feb 10th made no sense.
Now you would be forced to reject old notes after Feb 10th, unless you are ready to go to CBN office to redeem them. wink

13 Likes

Re: Old Banknotes Redeemable Only At CBN After Deadline - Emefiele by NuraSambo: 5:08pm On Feb 01, 2023
G
Re: Old Banknotes Redeemable Only At CBN After Deadline - Emefiele by Jestin: 5:08pm On Feb 01, 2023
taylor88:

APC think say them wise

God forbid

One walking corpse shouting Buhariii….Buhariii…Buhariii

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Old Banknotes Redeemable Only At CBN After Deadline - Emefiele by Ireportlive: 5:09pm On Feb 01, 2023
taylor88:

Let voters sale their votes for 5k and resell for 2k

Na their business

With cash scarcity many would sell it for 1k

1 Like

Re: Old Banknotes Redeemable Only At CBN After Deadline - Emefiele by onuman: 5:09pm On Feb 01, 2023
Good.
From that, the hoarders of Naira shall be exposed.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Old Banknotes Redeemable Only At CBN After Deadline - Emefiele by GolDRoger: 5:09pm On Feb 01, 2023
We-re-y angry

1 Like

Re: Old Banknotes Redeemable Only At CBN After Deadline - Emefiele by PrinceOfLagos: 5:09pm On Feb 01, 2023
I pity anybody that will still keep the old naira notes at home

12 Likes

Re: Old Banknotes Redeemable Only At CBN After Deadline - Emefiele by SpecialAdviser(m): 5:09pm On Feb 01, 2023
taylor88:

APC think say them wise

God forbid
GOD FORBID my brother.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Old Banknotes Redeemable Only At CBN After Deadline - Emefiele by Angelfrost(m): 5:10pm On Feb 01, 2023
No fvcks given here!

Nigerians deserve to suffer!

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Old Banknotes Redeemable Only At CBN After Deadline - Emefiele by MichaelSokoto(m): 5:10pm On Feb 01, 2023
UncommonLogic:
Worst CBN Governor EVER. This idiot is a complete olodo.
no vote buying!
cool

22 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Why You Have No Excuse To Be Broke! / How To Write A Business Plan / Bus Direction From Obalende To Landmark Event Center In V.I

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.