Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,690 members, 7,816,819 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:52 PM

How Do I Impact Programming Knowledge Into A Child Of 5 Or Above? - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / How Do I Impact Programming Knowledge Into A Child Of 5 Or Above? (572 Views)

Impact Of Marijuana On Programmers / Without Programming Knowledge, Learn 3D Animation / How Much Programming Knowledge Can I Amass In 3 Months? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Do I Impact Programming Knowledge Into A Child Of 5 Or Above? by Ayokequeen(m): 4:01pm On Feb 04, 2023
I'm a tech lover, I have a basic knowledge of programming because I studied computer science in polytechnic but switched to engineering in university. I love programming and I've been trying to get back in line but hustling has never allowed me to concentrate. I will love at least one of my children to be tech savvy and I'm thinking of taking the approach of catch them young.
How do I achieve this and where do I start from?

Please I need candid advice.
Re: How Do I Impact Programming Knowledge Into A Child Of 5 Or Above? by judatech: 4:05pm On Feb 04, 2023
So so interested in this too...i got 7 and 10 years...
I have been able to teach them chess and martial arts...
But would really love to impart coding, programming etc

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Do I Impact Programming Knowledge Into A Child Of 5 Or Above? by airsaylongcome: 4:24pm On Feb 04, 2023
It's impart and not impact.

That aside, it can "seem" like an expensive activity when you start doing this early especially from Nigeria where everything is mad expensive. The first thing you'd need to do is start introducing them to Scratch programming language. I can check for resources and share later.
Re: How Do I Impact Programming Knowledge Into A Child Of 5 Or Above? by judatech: 4:31pm On Feb 04, 2023
airsaylongcome:

That aside, it can "seem" like an expensive activity when you start doing this early especially from Nigeria where everything is mad expensive. The first thing you'd need to do is start introducing them to Scratch programming language. I can check for resources and share later.
Thanks for the correction ❤️
Waiting for updates
Re: How Do I Impact Programming Knowledge Into A Child Of 5 Or Above? by airsaylongcome: 4:43pm On Feb 04, 2023
So I've got a friend who owns a school and we use projects from the Raspberry pi foundation ast the basis for the curriculum. Children build and code some of the projects there in the process getting
acquainted with coding.

Again I said it may "seem" expensive (and it is actually if you have to buy all the hardware required). But a parent can start from the very basic projects that only require a computer and no fancy hardware.
https://projects.raspberrypi.org/en/projects?hardware%5B%5D=raspberry-pi
Re: How Do I Impact Programming Knowledge Into A Child Of 5 Or Above? by nnamdiosu(m): 4:44pm On Feb 04, 2023
Ayokequeen:
I'm a tech lover, I have a basic knowledge of programming because I studied computer science in polytechnic but switched to engineering in university. I love programming and I've been trying to get back in line but hustling has never allowed me to concentrate. I will love at least one of my children to be tech savvy and I'm thinking of taking the approach of catch them young.

1. Download programming cartoons for them

2. Download children cartoons like scratch

3. Each time they attempt or do something new concerning IT or programming, give them a reward.

You should note that programming isn't for any child. The child may love coloring, and so graphics will be a best bet. If you try the above and it doesn't seem to click, let the child be. Don't force it.

Cheers.

1 Like

Re: How Do I Impact Programming Knowledge Into A Child Of 5 Or Above? by VeryWickedSimp: 4:52pm On Feb 04, 2023
Start with Yahoo the programming will come naturally.

1 Like

Re: How Do I Impact Programming Knowledge Into A Child Of 5 Or Above? by BRATISLAVA: 6:30pm On Feb 04, 2023
airsaylongcome:

I hate seeing the word impact. Just like people on their kneels make me want to throw up.
Re: How Do I Impact Programming Knowledge Into A Child Of 5 Or Above? by airsaylongcome: 6:40pm On Feb 04, 2023
BRATISLAVA:

I hate seeing the word impact. Just like people on their kneels make me want to throw up.

I've tried to scale back on my grammar Nazi behaviour. But some just jump at me. I also particularly hate that knees v kneels.
Re: How Do I Impact Programming Knowledge Into A Child Of 5 Or Above? by Nobody: 1:13am On Feb 05, 2023
Don't force your children to do things you think will be beneficial to you.

U can buy then kids puzzles and see the ones interested in problems solving.

From there u can introduce similar kid puzzles/games to them... Then u introduce programming for kids on one of those kids iPads or tablets

Except your kids are geniuses u can't magically force programming language in their heads when they're "5" & still struggling to learn how to count to 100.

1 Like

Re: How Do I Impact Programming Knowledge Into A Child Of 5 Or Above? by Davidcorny: 10:20am On Feb 05, 2023
Ayokequeen:

I recommend logic puzzles, quiz games, chess.. but make sure they have fun.
Critical thinking is what you need to instill in them first and foremost.
Re: How Do I Impact Programming Knowledge Into A Child Of 5 Or Above? by LittleBigDick(m): 8:48pm On Feb 05, 2023
Get a commodore pet computer and a basic programming manual for the kid

Get K&R C book for the kid so the child can learn C then hopefully move to Cpp

Put the child in a chess club

Subscribe to a lot of Anime and Ricky Morty cartoons for him

(1) (Reply)

How To Implement Chatgpt As A Chatbot In Python / How?? / Cronjob Script Writer Needed ASAP

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.