Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,175 members, 7,811,431 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 11:25 AM

Court Stops Buhari, CBN, Others From Suspending Currency Swap Policy - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Court Stops Buhari, CBN, Others From Suspending Currency Swap Policy (36051 Views)

Buhari: CBN Working To Prevent Chaos Over Distribution Of New Naira Notes / President Buhari, CBN Governor, Godwin Emefiele In Senegal Conference (Photos) / Court Stops Buhari, Senate President, Others From Tampering With Electoral Act (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Court Stops Buhari, CBN, Others From Suspending Currency Swap Policy by fergie001: 7:29pm On Feb 06, 2023
A High Court of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), on Monday, restrained President Muhammadu Buhari, Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN), the Governor of CBN and 27 commercial banks from suspending, stopping, extending or interfering with the currency swap terminal date of February 10 or issue any directive contrary to the said deadline.

In a Motion by five political parties, namely Action Alliance (AA), Action Peoples Party (APP), Allied Peoples Movement (APM) and National Rescue Movement (NRM), the Court presided over by Justice Enenche also granted an order directing the CEOs of the 27 commercial banks and their alter egos to show cause why they should not be arrested and prosecuted for the economic and financial sabotage of the country by their illegal hoarding, withholding, not paying or disbursing the new N200, N500 and N1000 banknotes despite supply of such notes by the CBN.

LEADERSHIP reports that this order of the Court has rendered futile all behind-the-scene efforts especially by Governors of some States to force the hand of the President to reverse the Naira swap policy or at least extend its deadline.

Governors alleged to be behind the moves to stop this policy include the Governors of Kaduna, Kogi, Zamfara, Ondo, Rivers, Imo, Benue and Kano States.

The order also ties the hands of bank CEOs and their staff who have been alleged to be hoarding the new banknotes and trading with them, thereby causing untold hardship to ordinary citizens.

Following the order, a cross-section of lawyers, Civil Society Organization and ethnic youth groups, have hailed the latest court order, saying it was best for the country and would afford the stakeholders opportunity to now concentrate on how to ameliorate the hardship occasioned by the policy.

Groups such as Arewa Consultative Youth Movement, Ohanaeze Youth Movement, and Oduduwa Youth Assembly have hailed the FCT High Court order.

Arewa Youths said that looters of the commonwealth of the people have lost out while Ohanaeze Youths insisted that vote buyers and election riggers have been relegated just as Oduduwa Youth held the view that kickbacks will be very difficult now, corruption greatly limited and chance for money laundering made slimmer.

Furthermore, a continental civil society organization, the African Centre for Justice and Human Rights (ACJHR), said the order of the court was the first step in sanitising the country’s financial market and help in conducting very credible polls as politicians will find it extremely difficult if not impossible to have access to cash to compromise the 2023 elections.

In the 27 grounds by the applicants, they made out a case showing that politicians who ostensibly are in possession of illicit funds were the ones who want the policies suspended.

SOURCE

33 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Court Stops Buhari, CBN, Others From Suspending Currency Swap Policy by God1000(m): 7:30pm On Feb 06, 2023
Buhari is an obstinate person that doesn't respect court judgements

This new CBN policy has turned counterproductive, masses are the ones feeling it instead.

71 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Court Stops Buhari, CBN, Others From Suspending Currency Swap Policy by caesymore(m): 7:31pm On Feb 06, 2023
Person wey dey ontop me done talk my mind.

The dictator in Aso wey always dey surprised no send judiciary and that alone speaks volume.

Vote Tinubu and see a greater dictator I Don tell una finish. I withdrew 10k and that lady get mind collect 3k from me. I no blame her, na APC I blame.

133 Likes 17 Shares

Re: Court Stops Buhari, CBN, Others From Suspending Currency Swap Policy by Xscape1993(m): 7:31pm On Feb 06, 2023
The founder of agberos in Nigeria and the drug landlord of Africa will never win this election....

187 Likes 13 Shares

Re: Court Stops Buhari, CBN, Others From Suspending Currency Swap Policy by vicdom(m): 7:33pm On Feb 06, 2023
Some people at the villa are truly committed to clipping Tinubu's wings in this election cheesy grin

But in all honesty, Tinubu can't win any election now without buying votes, never!!

204 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Court Stops Buhari, CBN, Others From Suspending Currency Swap Policy by maupe: 7:33pm On Feb 06, 2023

Re: Court Stops Buhari, CBN, Others From Suspending Currency Swap Policy by Onyiiobi7735(m): 7:35pm On Feb 06, 2023
Buhari that doesn't obey court orders.This one really got to him.

1 Like

Re: Court Stops Buhari, CBN, Others From Suspending Currency Swap Policy by Onyiiobi7735(m): 7:37pm On Feb 06, 2023
Tinubu will cry louder than ever, with this court order, because his web already prepared and set,has been torn apart.

81 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Court Stops Buhari, CBN, Others From Suspending Currency Swap Policy by RZArecta(m): 7:39pm On Feb 06, 2023
Strange country cool

3 Likes

Re: Court Stops Buhari, CBN, Others From Suspending Currency Swap Policy by gaby(m): 7:39pm On Feb 06, 2023
Most commenters don't even understand the above suit or the court's order. grin

Na the order wey Bubu want be this.

151 Likes 18 Shares

Re: Court Stops Buhari, CBN, Others From Suspending Currency Swap Policy by funshint(m): 7:40pm On Feb 06, 2023
Whoever instituted this suite must be very sick...did the govt seek the approval of the court before implementing the policy in the first place? This is a pure monetary policy. The Court's order is useless.

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Court Stops Buhari, CBN, Others From Suspending Currency Swap Policy by hisgrace090: 7:40pm On Feb 06, 2023
Despite having looted this country dry still they want to continue without looking back but our God pass them.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Court Stops Buhari, CBN, Others From Suspending Currency Swap Policy by Gbyte02: 7:41pm On Feb 06, 2023
A welcome development. Nigeria must be great

6 Likes

Re: Court Stops Buhari, CBN, Others From Suspending Currency Swap Policy by Shalommy(f): 7:49pm On Feb 06, 2023
Rubbish... From thieves.

1 Like

Re: Court Stops Buhari, CBN, Others From Suspending Currency Swap Policy by ubest1(m): 7:52pm On Feb 06, 2023
Those vote buyers are learners

14 Likes

Re: Court Stops Buhari, CBN, Others From Suspending Currency Swap Policy by Pwettylinda(f): 7:53pm On Feb 06, 2023
Thiefnubuu wings broken

49 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Court Stops Buhari, CBN, Others From Suspending Currency Swap Policy by ThinkSmarter: 7:54pm On Feb 06, 2023
The order can only work if there is enough of the new notes for withdrawal across ATMs before 10th, else...

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Court Stops Buhari, CBN, Others From Suspending Currency Swap Policy by millhouse: 7:56pm On Feb 06, 2023
Xscape1993:
The founder of agberos in Nigeria and the drug landlord of Africa will never win this election....
iseeee... I pour ogogoro for ground for this your prayer

36 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Court Stops Buhari, CBN, Others From Suspending Currency Swap Policy by OkpaNsukkaisBae(m): 7:58pm On Feb 06, 2023
make i no talk
Re: Court Stops Buhari, CBN, Others From Suspending Currency Swap Policy by PrinceOfLagos: 7:59pm On Feb 06, 2023
Dem don finish Tinubu patapata be dat and I love it

No room for vote buying this time , everyone should go to the poll and test his popularity

Let me tag my friend Moh247, I usually tag him because he cry alot when it's not favouring Bola Thiefnibu

41 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Court Stops Buhari, CBN, Others From Suspending Currency Swap Policy by PrinceOfLagos: 8:01pm On Feb 06, 2023
Thank you President Muhammadu Buhari on this New naira redesign policy

Tinubu can now wail all he wants

35 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Court Stops Buhari, CBN, Others From Suspending Currency Swap Policy by Moh247: 8:03pm On Feb 06, 2023
PrinceOfLagos:
Dem don finish Tinubu patapata be dat and I love it

No room for vote buying this time , everyone should go to the poll and test his popularity

Let me tag my friend Moh247, I usually tag him because he cry alot when it's not favouring Bola Thiefnibu

Lol

Tinubu doesn't need cash

Lekki Tollgates collects more than enough cash, same as BRT under primero limited (new notes) every hour, Days, weekly

Even MC Oluomo has enough cash

Buhari or FG have nothing to do with cash as FG handles Fiscal policy not Monetary policy

Tinubu still donated 100,000,000 in Katsina today

22 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Court Stops Buhari, CBN, Others From Suspending Currency Swap Policy by PrinceOfLagos: 8:05pm On Feb 06, 2023
Moh247:

Lol

Tinubu doesn't need cash

Lekki Tollgates collects more than enough cash, same as BRT under primero

Even MC Oluomo has enough cash
The same lekki toll gate that Tinubu sacrificed the life of innocent protesting youths during the Endsars protest ?

Why you dey shamelessly support a man of questionable character like Tinubu?

38 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Court Stops Buhari, CBN, Others From Suspending Currency Swap Policy by fergie001: 8:05pm On Feb 06, 2023

Re: Court Stops Buhari, CBN, Others From Suspending Currency Swap Policy by Moh247: 8:06pm On Feb 06, 2023
PrinceOfLagos:

The same lekki toll gate that Tinubu sacrificed the life of innocent protesting youths during the Endsars protest ?

Why you dey shamelessly support a man of questionable character like Tinubu?
.can you mention just one name if anyone you know that was killed with pictures

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Court Stops Buhari, CBN, Others From Suspending Currency Swap Policy by ChangetheChange: 8:06pm On Feb 06, 2023
LEADERSHIP reports that this order of the Court has rendered futile all behind-the-scene efforts especially by Governors of some States to force the hand of the President to reverse the Naira swap policy or at least extend its deadline.

Governors alleged to be behind the moves to stop this policy include the Governors of Kaduna, Kogi, Zamfara, Ondo, Rivers, Imo, Benue and Kano States

The order also ties the hands of bank CEOs and their staff who have been alleged to be hoarding the new banknotes and trading with them, thereby causing untold hardship to ordinary citizens.

Following the order, a cross-section of lawyers, Civil Society Organization and ethnic youth groups, have hailed the latest court order, saying it was best for the country and would afford the stakeholders opportunity to now concentrate on how to ameliorate the hardship occasioned by the policy.

Groups such as Arewa Consultative Youth Movement, Ohanaeze Youth Movement, and Oduduwa Youth Assembly have hailed the FCT High Court order.

Arewa Youths said that looters of the commonwealth of the people have lost out while Ohanaeze Youths insisted that vote buyers and election riggers have been relegated just as Oduduwa Youth held the view that kickbacks will be very difficult now, corruption greatly limited and chance for money laundering made slimmer.

grin grin grin
More high blood pressure for Tinubu and APC Governors and their brain dead zombie supporters

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Court Stops Buhari, CBN, Others From Suspending Currency Swap Policy by Osidazz19: 8:07pm On Feb 06, 2023
This election period has finally exposed what I have said previously.
It's now clear that these IPOB Zombidient terrorist fools don't really have any ideology or care about the suffering of anyone. As long as in their own shallow irrational and illogical thinking they see anything as anti Buhari or Anti Tinubu they will support it.

Go back to 2015, close to the election. there was fuel shortage but just because Jonathan was the President these same mumus were blaming everyone but Jonathan.
Now in their own delusional shallow thinking they are think this will affect Tinubu. Chai, I can't even believe that these people can be so gullible .

If you think that this will work against Tinubu's interest then you must be dumber than a jelly fish.

All you have to do is see the moronic thinking of these mumus and you can see why Nigeria is still so backward.....

11 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Court Stops Buhari, CBN, Others From Suspending Currency Swap Policy by ecolime(m): 8:07pm On Feb 06, 2023
Moh247:

Lol

Tinubu doesn't need cash.
So, why has he and his boys been crying? They've suddenly become the advocate of the masses.. Just dey play

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Court Stops Buhari, CBN, Others From Suspending Currency Swap Policy by Ologundudu2020: 8:07pm On Feb 06, 2023
Re: Court Stops Buhari, CBN, Others From Suspending Currency Swap Policy by ogascomax: 8:07pm On Feb 06, 2023
Nigeria house of commotion

1 Like

Re: Court Stops Buhari, CBN, Others From Suspending Currency Swap Policy by Antoeni(m): 8:08pm On Feb 06, 2023
I am Just Thinking, Abeg Between
Sabinus & FFK, Who Like Jollof Rice & Chicken Pass?

Like For FFK

Share For Sabinus

12 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Pictures Of President Bola Tinubu And Governor Sanwo-Olu In Qatar / Nigerian Power Plants To Shut Down / 7 Reasons Why Nigeria Should Have Abstained From The UN Jerusalem Vote - ETimes

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.