Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,582 members, 7,820,103 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:45 AM

2023 Elections: FG Signs Agreement With Google, Meta To Handle Fake News - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / 2023 Elections: FG Signs Agreement With Google, Meta To Handle Fake News (5871 Views)

Threads: See Elon Musk's Reply on Twitter's attempt to sue Meta / Facebook Changes Its Name To Meta In Major Rebrand / COVID-19: Whatsapp Tightens Limits On Message Forwarding To Counter Fake News (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

2023 Elections: FG Signs Agreement With Google, Meta To Handle Fake News by postbox: 9:12pm On Feb 06, 2023
Ahead of the 2023 presidential and governorship elections, the federal government of Nigeria has signed agreements with tech giants, Meta and Google, to tackle and curb the spread of fake news and promote the integrity of the forthcoming elections in Nigeria.

The agreements which were reached on Friday between the Minister of Information and Culture, Alhaji Lai Mohammed, and respective representatives from Meta and Google contained four demands which were presented by the Minister who was representing the federal government. The agreements which included cooperation by the tech giants with the federal government by flagging and taking down the post that is fake on their platforms,

While other agreements include;

Working with security agents in Nigeria to take down posts that are aimed at inciting violence before, during, and after the elections.

– It was also agreed that election results not disseminated from original sources, are to be flagged as unverified and false by Meta and Google on their various platform.

– Meta and Google also agreed to make posts from official government channels, like the Ministry of Information and Culture, INEC, National Orientation Agency, etc., more prominent on their platforms.

Alhaji Lai Mohammed had earlier highlighted the importance of the elections to the country and the commitment of President Muhammadu Buhari to Nigerians and the global community to enable and ensure a free and fair election is conducted in Nigeria, to which he noted the use of social media is a vital factor in the coming elections happening in Nigeria on Feb 25th and Mar 11 but of late the Minister expressed concerns over the use of fake news and disinformation on the social media platform to discredit the elections.

“There has been a gross abuse of social media platforms to purvey fake news and disinformation ahead of the elections. These unscrupulous people are resorting to the use of parody accounts, cloning of reputable media platforms, and the use of deep fakes to carry out their nefarious activities. For example, candidates’ campaign speeches are doctored to portray them in a bad light, and video clips and pictures of campaign rallies are tampered with to make them look poorly attended.”

He added that “Fake or unscientific opinion polls are concocted, while threats of violence in certain parts of the country are exaggerated. All of these are then circulated via social media to a wide audience, with the aim of making their target candidates look bad, influencing public perception or even suppressing votes in certain areas.
“We have therefore invited you, platform owners, here so we can work together to reduce these negative tendencies before, during, and after the forthcoming elections”.

However, before the agreement was reached between the tech giants and Federal Government, Meta disclosed that it had set up a cross-functional team that is spread across the world to monitor posts by Nigerians, before, during, and the after the elections, especially on Facebook and Instagram.
SOURCE:https://brandspurng.com/2023/02/05/2023-elections-fg-signs-agreement-with-google-meta-to-handle-fake-news/

4 Likes

Re: 2023 Elections: FG Signs Agreement With Google, Meta To Handle Fake News by sorji4: 9:16pm On Feb 06, 2023
That us long overdue

5 Likes

Re: 2023 Elections: FG Signs Agreement With Google, Meta To Handle Fake News by Toneypen247(m): 5:51am On Feb 07, 2023
Interesting
Re: 2023 Elections: FG Signs Agreement With Google, Meta To Handle Fake News by deepwater(f): 5:51am On Feb 07, 2023
Lol

Surprisingly it is the news from the presidential pressmen and team that would be flagged the most as fake news undecided

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: 2023 Elections: FG Signs Agreement With Google, Meta To Handle Fake News by Globad(f): 5:51am On Feb 07, 2023
Is it only during elections period that this is necessary or needed?
Re: 2023 Elections: FG Signs Agreement With Google, Meta To Handle Fake News by Manny21: 5:51am On Feb 07, 2023
If you don't want to miss Buhari, be careful of who you vote for

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: 2023 Elections: FG Signs Agreement With Google, Meta To Handle Fake News by Spuggie: 5:51am On Feb 07, 2023
Amazing stuff.
Way to go.
Re: 2023 Elections: FG Signs Agreement With Google, Meta To Handle Fake News by AntiChristian: 5:52am On Feb 07, 2023
cool
Re: 2023 Elections: FG Signs Agreement With Google, Meta To Handle Fake News by Abfinest007(m): 5:52am On Feb 07, 2023
Good one if only APC will not spread fake by themselves

5 Likes

Re: 2023 Elections: FG Signs Agreement With Google, Meta To Handle Fake News by othermen: 5:52am On Feb 07, 2023
It may be the case, that they took a loan from China, to be able to come to such terms. There is, in the end , no free lunch anywhere. Tinubu has shown unwillingness to exacerbate the suffering of Nigeria, for any climate change agenda. Google and Meta are invested in the endeavor. They may as well be bias due to sentiments of the aspirants.

Yet, clueless people. Will they flag end to end encrypted broadcast messages on WhatsApp. Twitter is the pool . The Nigeria Facebook community does not engage in politics as such. Nigeria’s online political discussion thrives on Twitter. Yet it is Facebook they are concerned about.

1 Like

Re: 2023 Elections: FG Signs Agreement With Google, Meta To Handle Fake News by CallmeTrinity: 5:54am On Feb 07, 2023
BUHARI IS TOO BRILLIANT ..

TINIBU WILL FAIL IN ALL HIS EVIL PLANS TO SUMMERSAULT THE ELECTIONS BECAUSE HE JNOWS HE HAS ALREADYOST BEFORE IT EEVN STARTS..

IT IS CLEAR TO THE BLIND BY NOW THAT WHETHER YOU HATE PETER OBI OR NOT HE HAS WON THE ELECTION ALREADY

10 Likes

Re: 2023 Elections: FG Signs Agreement With Google, Meta To Handle Fake News by samtress: 5:54am On Feb 07, 2023
Globad:
Is it only during elections period that this is necessary or needed?

Election time or else it will be abused.
Re: 2023 Elections: FG Signs Agreement With Google, Meta To Handle Fake News by Awise09(m): 5:55am On Feb 07, 2023
Good one, but I think this gesture should also continues after 2023 election

1 Like

Re: 2023 Elections: FG Signs Agreement With Google, Meta To Handle Fake News by ecolime(m): 5:58am On Feb 07, 2023
FG should meet with Ireporters, TVC & Nairaland urchins as well.

1 Like

Re: 2023 Elections: FG Signs Agreement With Google, Meta To Handle Fake News by free2ryhme: 6:00am On Feb 07, 2023
Re: 2023 Elections: FG Signs Agreement With Google, Meta To Handle Fake News by PrinceOfLagos: 6:00am On Feb 07, 2023
President is serious about conducting a free and fair election and we like it

Let those who only win election through vote buying and snatching of ballot boxes in Lagos should meet us at the poll on 25th

Thank you Presidnet Muhammadu Buhari

1 Like

Re: 2023 Elections: FG Signs Agreement With Google, Meta To Handle Fake News by PrinceOfLagos: 6:02am On Feb 07, 2023
ecolime:
FG should meet with Ireporters, TVC & Nairaland urchins as well.
Ireporters is one of the Tinubu fake news media platform . They specializes in dishing out fake news to deceive Nigerians

Nobody takes them serious because they are criminals

2 Likes

Re: 2023 Elections: FG Signs Agreement With Google, Meta To Handle Fake News by leisuretym: 6:03am On Feb 07, 2023
Just prove to google it’s not fake news by attaching video evidence, shikenah
Re: 2023 Elections: FG Signs Agreement With Google, Meta To Handle Fake News by Nobody: 6:03am On Feb 07, 2023
postbox:

SOURCE:https://brandspurng.com/2023/02/05/2023-elections-fg-signs-agreement-with-google-meta-to-handle-fake-news/

Quite fantastic! Because we know those who believe that they are legitimately untutored online warriors 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂
Re: 2023 Elections: FG Signs Agreement With Google, Meta To Handle Fake News by Bebigiby: 6:07am On Feb 07, 2023
It's a shame that there are people happy over this news. How can Buhari invite foreign companies to tackle "fake news" within the country.... These services "Meta" and "Google" can't be trusted to carryout such tasks that has to do with our election and it is extremely dangerous to our sovereignty to encourage such arrangements (I've not heard of any other African country with such arrangement)... Don't forget that in 2015, Facebook was allegedly used as propaganda tool by the west (US government et al).... to boost Buhari's popularity.... I hope the national assembly can revisit this matter.... The APC government can use this initiative to silence opposition because when you say fake news.... Who decides what is fake news and disinformation?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 2023 Elections: FG Signs Agreement With Google, Meta To Handle Fake News by malali: 6:10am On Feb 07, 2023
Abeg who this man offend ??

Re: 2023 Elections: FG Signs Agreement With Google, Meta To Handle Fake News by Chibuzoc(m): 6:11am On Feb 07, 2023
grin this will not stop Nigeria from being a jungle that it is🤒. Common currency redesign that was supposed to tackle insecurities (bandits and kidnappers) and vote buying (politicians) has now become an anti people's policy🤔. Imagine people queuing by 5am just to withdraw from atm😢 meanwhile politicians and bandits are in stocks of new money😮.
Omor I fear who no fear Nigerians cheesy
Re: 2023 Elections: FG Signs Agreement With Google, Meta To Handle Fake News by Chetas81(m): 6:18am On Feb 07, 2023
you mean liar mooohamed can talk about Fake news ____ meanwhile you spread fake news more than anyone
Re: 2023 Elections: FG Signs Agreement With Google, Meta To Handle Fake News by free2ryhme: 6:22am On Feb 07, 2023
malali:
Abeg who this man offend ??

You no fit ask the man wey offend?
Re: 2023 Elections: FG Signs Agreement With Google, Meta To Handle Fake News by Ekejoestar(m): 6:23am On Feb 07, 2023
That ireportlive of a guy should be arrested for fake news
Re: 2023 Elections: FG Signs Agreement With Google, Meta To Handle Fake News by Akaujaa(m): 6:25am On Feb 07, 2023
I was liking the laudable initiative until I saw Lai Mohammed's name in the news.

1 Like

Re: 2023 Elections: FG Signs Agreement With Google, Meta To Handle Fake News by Nobody: 6:32am On Feb 07, 2023
Nigeria can be better,the citizens don't have to always run away from the country, insecurity can be curbed,do you quota to bring the new Nigeria you and your children would be proud of,vote wisely,a vote for Peter Obi of Labour party is a step towards libration of Nigeria.
Re: 2023 Elections: FG Signs Agreement With Google, Meta To Handle Fake News by wethebest(m): 6:38am On Feb 07, 2023
Especially the ones coming from the old thief slaves. Only one man have succeeded in enslaving his tribesmen with thuggery nd agbero work😂😂 but this time around ObiDatti must free them from the shackles of the old thief so they can see the light
Re: 2023 Elections: FG Signs Agreement With Google, Meta To Handle Fake News by Bebigiby: 6:43am On Feb 07, 2023
Fighter2029:
Nigeria can be better,the citizens don't have to always run away from the country, insecurity can be curbed,do you quota to bring the new Nigeria you and your children would be proud of,vote wisely,a vote for Peter Obi of Labour party is a step towards libration of Nigeria.

About who to vote in the upcoming election, I don't see this election as a means to tackle the issues we are facing. I am in support of restructuring, I think we need a decentralized system of government where states are autonomous with little federal influence over state resources (Let state governors have 100% resource control).... I wish Nigerians will push for restructuring instead of elections that will bring back the same evil people that are oppressing us.... But if I am to vote in 2023 presidential election, I won't vote for Obi, I will vote for Sowore..... I understand many Nigerians are supporting Obi, personally I am yet to come to terms with the craze over Obi because by this time last year Obi was a PDP presidential contestant.... In 2019, he ran with Atiku on the same platform so I think if he wins, his government policies won't be different from an Atiku presidency.... He will be a continuation of the status quo maybe with a little difference (In terms of stopping stealing of public funds) but I doubt if he will be courageous to recover looted funds or make critical reforms.... It is glaring that a Peter Obi government won't be able to call Buhari and members of his cabinet to account for the trillions misappropriated in the last 8 years.... One major reason I will vote for Sowore is because of his fearless tenacity and unrelenting quest for justice.... He has been consistent over the years in the struggle against Nigeria's bad leaders.... In 2015 he like other Nigerians who fail for the APC propaganda supported Buhari but ever since Buhari fellout with Nigerians, Sowore has been critical of the bad policies and has been consistent in publicly condemning it. I understand that the fact that he supported Buhari in 2015 and his inexperience in government (No record of past political appointments) have been issues Nigerians have with him but if I am to vote, I will vote for him..... I believe he will be a better president than Obi....

2 Likes

Re: 2023 Elections: FG Signs Agreement With Google, Meta To Handle Fake News by Vischy: 6:50am On Feb 07, 2023
Akaujaa:
I was liking the laudable initiative until I saw Lai Mohammed's name in the news.

I can't agree more including urchins spreading lies and propaganda to promote a certain microphone licker to rule over us in 21st century. SHAME!!!

1 Share

(1) (2) (Reply)

**ANDRIOD APPS/GAMES VILLAGE** / Airtel To Make 60 Nigerians Millionaires / Help With Starcomms Configuration

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.