Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,078 members, 7,811,020 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 08:54 PM

Sharia Court Sentences Two To Amputation For Theft - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Sharia Court Sentences Two To Amputation For Theft (7263 Views)

Masquerades Nabbed For Theft, Torture Of Victims (Pictured) / Kano Sharia Court Sentences 8 To Death For Blasphemy / Court Sentences Two Men To Death For Stealing Fowls! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Sharia Court Sentences Two To Amputation For Theft by kufreabasi(m): 1:58pm On Sep 09, 2011
GUSAU (AFP) – An Islamic sharia court in Zamfara State has sentenced two men to amputation of their right wrists for stealing a bull, with the amputation to be carried out in public if it is given final approval.

The sharia court in the village of Nassarawan Mailayi in the northern state of Zamfara on Thursday ordered that Auwalu Abubaka, 23, and Lawalli Musa, 22, have their right hands chopped off for stealing a bull worth 130,000 naira ($867, 628 euros).

However, the two men have 30 days to appeal their sentence and the state governor must approve any amputation. Such sentences have only rarely been carried out in Nigeria.

“Based on the admission of guilt by the two of you of trespassing into the house … and stealing a bull whose worth is well above the minimum value to warrant amputation, I hereby order that each of you should have his right wrist amputated,” Judge Muhammadu Abubakar said.

“I hereby order that the sentence be carried out on October 8, on market day for members of the public to witness.”

The convicts were arraigned on August 8 following complaints to the police by a resident accusing them of stealing his bull from his house, which led to their arrest, court documents showed.

Sharia law is in place across 12 states in predominately Muslim northern Nigeria, but it is selectively enforced.

It provides for amputation of the wrist for theft and it would be the second time such a sentence is handed down in Zamfara, the first of Nigeria’s 36 states to reintroduce sharia law after the country returned to democratic rule in 1999.

In 2001, a notorious cattle rustler had his right wrist amputated following conviction by a sharia court in the state capital Gusau for stealing a bull after the then state governor approved the sentence.

The amputation drew outrage from local and international rights groups, which led to the overturning of more than a dozen amputation sentences across the 12 predominantly Muslim states.

Nigeria is Africa’s most populous nation, and its 150 million people are roughly divided between a mainly Muslim north and predominately Christian south.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2011/09/sharia-court-sentences-two-to-amputation-for-theft/

This is inhuman. No wonder they needed this and they all raining BokoHaram to increase
Re: Sharia Court Sentences Two To Amputation For Theft by thehomer: 2:04pm On Sep 09, 2011
kufreabasi:

GUSAU (AFP) – An Islamic sharia court in Zamfara State has sentenced two men to amputation of their right wrists for stealing a bull, with the amputation to be carried out in public if it is given final approval.

The sharia court in the village of Nassarawan Mailayi in the northern state of Zamfara on Thursday ordered that Auwalu Abubaka, 23, and Lawalli Musa, 22, have their right hands chopped off for stealing a bull worth 130,000 naira ($867, 628 euros).

However, the two men have 30 days to appeal their sentence and the state governor must approve any amputation. Such sentences have only rarely been carried out in Nigeria.

“Based on the admission of guilt by the two of you of trespassing into the house … and stealing a bull whose worth is well above the minimum value to warrant amputation, I hereby order that each of you should have his right wrist amputated,” Judge Muhammadu Abubakar said.

“I hereby order that the sentence be carried out on October 8, on market day for members of the public to witness.”

The convicts were arraigned on August 8 following complaints to the police by a resident accusing them of stealing his bull from his house, which led to their arrest, court documents showed.

Sharia law is in place across 12 states in predominately Muslim northern Nigeria, but it is selectively enforced.

It provides for amputation of the wrist for theft and it would be the second time such a sentence is handed down in Zamfara, the first of Nigeria’s 36 states to reintroduce sharia law after the country returned to democratic rule in 1999.

In 2001, a notorious cattle rustler had his right wrist amputated following conviction by a sharia court in the state capital Gusau for stealing a bull after the then state governor approved the sentence.

The amputation drew outrage from local and international rights groups, which led to the overturning of more than a dozen amputation sentences across the 12 predominantly Muslim states.

Nigeria is Africa’s most populous nation, and its 150 million people are roughly divided between a mainly Muslim north and predominately Christian south.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2011/09/sharia-court-sentences-two-to-amputation-for-theft/

This is inhuman. No wonder they needed this and they all raining BokoHaram to increase

The joys of the religion of peace. So the governor decides who can be amputated and not the constitution.
I wonder what the Muslims on Nairaland have to say about such a barbarous sentence.
Re: Sharia Court Sentences Two To Amputation For Theft by iyatrustee(f): 2:06pm On Sep 09, 2011
yet the real thieves are in the comfort of thier offices stealing in the billions sad sad sad

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Sharia Court Sentences Two To Amputation For Theft by kufreabasi(m): 2:09pm On Sep 09, 2011
iyatrustee:

yet the real thieves are in the comfort of thier offices stealing in the billions sad sad sad

imagine that
Re: Sharia Court Sentences Two To Amputation For Theft by Sweetnecta: 2:19pm On Sep 09, 2011
wish they could amputate the hands of those big officials who say they are muslims. but their hands in public funds entrusted to them belie their true identity.

While I think mercy is more than justify, if justice is to be practiced, it should start from the big bosses who say they are muslims.

Allah expresses Mercy more often than Justice.
Re: Sharia Court Sentences Two To Amputation For Theft by cantell(m): 2:28pm On Sep 09, 2011
See as northern muslims dey deceive themselves.
I feel sorry for them.
Re: Sharia Court Sentences Two To Amputation For Theft by Arkhin(m): 2:31pm On Sep 09, 2011
This people are animals! No wonder truck-loads of limbless beggars are entering Lagos everyday.By the time they dis-able all their able bodied youths,then they'll know they have brought suffering upon themselves.
Fashola should please deport all beggars in Lagos cos they brought it upon themselves.
Silly people.
Re: Sharia Court Sentences Two To Amputation For Theft by thehomer: 3:37pm On Sep 09, 2011
Sweetnecta:

wish they could amputate the hands of those big officials who say they are muslims. but their hands in public funds entrusted to them belie their true identity.

While I think mercy is more than justify, if justice is to be practiced, it should start from the big bosses who say they are muslims.

Allah expresses Mercy more often than Justice.

May I take this as implying that you think amputation of arms is appropriate punishment for stealing?
Re: Sharia Court Sentences Two To Amputation For Theft by LagosShia: 4:43pm On Sep 09, 2011
amputation for theft is only justified when the people are well taken care of and are not in need for food and when the leaders are righteous and not corrupt.
Re: Sharia Court Sentences Two To Amputation For Theft by Nobody: 5:37pm On Sep 09, 2011
Backwardness is Bliss!
Re: Sharia Court Sentences Two To Amputation For Theft by kabukabu50(m): 5:50pm On Sep 09, 2011
Islam is the religion of peace, NOT.

cut of your corrupt leaders hands first grin, thats how its supposed to work, not adding to the legions of disabled beggars on the streets.
Re: Sharia Court Sentences Two To Amputation For Theft by umechuma: 5:51pm On Sep 09, 2011
Amputation for stealing a bull (Cow) worth 130,000 Naira.
Northern Nigeria Muslims are the most backward people in Africa followed be Somalia.Sharia Law is a stone law for stone age people.
But does Sharia law apply to IBB,Atiku,Ciroma and other Northern Governor who loot they money and can't develop the region.
Re: Sharia Court Sentences Two To Amputation For Theft by thehomer: 5:55pm On Sep 09, 2011
LagosShia:

amputation for theft is only justified when the people are well taken care of and are not in need for food and when the leaders are righteous and not corrupt.

In other words, it is never justified? Since I'm yet to encounter a society where the people are well taken care of and the leaders are not corrupt to some degree.
Re: Sharia Court Sentences Two To Amputation For Theft by Rgp92: 6:04pm On Sep 09, 2011
Yet the biggest thieves IBB, Buhari and OBJ are still alive. . . undecided
Re: Sharia Court Sentences Two To Amputation For Theft by splitnaija(m): 6:19pm On Sep 09, 2011
Rgp92:

Yet the biggest thieves IBB, Buhari and OBJ are still alive. . .  undecided
How did ATIKU miss the list?
Re: Sharia Court Sentences Two To Amputation For Theft by Nobody: 6:22pm On Sep 09, 2011
Even the judge himself, fit to collect "his" own through judgements.

Then after cutting of the hands of the guys, they will send them to Port Harcourt to start begging.

Honestly, I keep wondering why I have to belong to the same country with this barbarians. If somebody is wicked and criminal, and as a result dismember a fellow man, I can understand, but to this thing in the Name of God, na wa o.

Somebody should please tell them to stop sending their amputees down South, we have enough burden already.
Re: Sharia Court Sentences Two To Amputation For Theft by realsemaj: 6:23pm On Sep 09, 2011
The big thievs will prefered to be tried by EFCC where they can manipulate their ways out with all sort of legal nonsense. God wil surely pay them back on judgement day. Meanwhile it's time for civil society to come to the aid of oppressed poor people in d region.
Re: Sharia Court Sentences Two To Amputation For Theft by macroworld: 6:29pm On Sep 09, 2011
I am not sure of where fundamental Human Rights stands with this Sharia Law thing. I think the nation should review it. I do not know why one single sets of rule can apply to a Country. We have sharia/ Islamic Law now we have Islamic banking, who knows what next ? I think things are taken too far.
Re: Sharia Court Sentences Two To Amputation For Theft by splitnaija(m): 6:33pm On Sep 09, 2011
Can't this country just split peacefully so we have these grass-eating & retrogressive barbarians confined to the North? It's so disgusting being of same nationality as these brainwashed religious dumb-asses!
Re: Sharia Court Sentences Two To Amputation For Theft by deadie(m): 6:33pm On Sep 09, 2011
Yehaaaaaaaaaaa! Way to go, religion of piss!
Re: Sharia Court Sentences Two To Amputation For Theft by Nobody: 6:52pm On Sep 09, 2011
I love this. The less limbs these moose-limbs have the better

Re: Sharia Court Sentences Two To Amputation For Theft by Nymphnode(m): 6:56pm On Sep 09, 2011
A guillotine would have been better, at least I would have prefered that to amputation. I need these limbs to steal something else na
Re: Sharia Court Sentences Two To Amputation For Theft by oldtime(m): 7:03pm On Sep 09, 2011
This is where you Find JESUS better in forgiveness than Man, If Islam does not understand that Jesus is the final Judge of all men,  He however

provides forgiveness for those who would come to him before the great Judgement,

The question is, Even the Sharia Judge is guilty of offense other than stealing while dolling out judgement, He might be a secret fornicator and so

are the many watchers in Court,

why should a religion put a man to a public pain of amputation when Jesus can forgive that Man?

may all Muslims who would read this know, that JESUS (not even Christianity) or Church, But Only JESUS offers a better way of Pardon for sin or

remission  

If you Judge a man that was caught in the acts of stealing, what will you do to the Man who harbor greed in his heart or the man who is Lusting in

his heart or the man who is thinking of committing the same crime but has not been caught

or even the many who did it and were never amputated

Only Jesus saves, Renounce Islam and embrace JESUS and man made Laws

when Jesus comes into a life, he will even find it difficult to sin against his master Jesus by Stealing
Re: Sharia Court Sentences Two To Amputation For Theft by Opoki(m): 7:05pm On Sep 09, 2011
One good reason why i stopped giving alms.
The deformed them in far north and come to the south to become destitute and beggars.
Re: Sharia Court Sentences Two To Amputation For Theft by Nobody: 7:36pm On Sep 09, 2011
amputation for mere criminals and thiefs, decapitation(beheading) for corrupt government officials, should this be a law no/yeah? , gbosh, the yeah has it,
Re: Sharia Court Sentences Two To Amputation For Theft by dagboss(m): 7:42pm On Sep 09, 2011
Too bad and sad to imagine that after the amputation those two will jump into the next trailer carrying cows or bags of tomatoes and pepper to the south and further swell the already high numbers of beggars.
Re: Sharia Court Sentences Two To Amputation For Theft by executinal(m): 7:43pm On Sep 09, 2011
kufreabasi:

GUSAU (AFP) – An Islamic sharia court in  Zamfara State has sentenced two men to amputation of their right wrists for stealing a bull, with the amputation to be carried out in public if it is given final approval.

However, the two men have 30 days to appeal their sentence and the state governor must approve any amputation So the state governor is GOD angry. Such sentences have only rarely been carried out in Nigeria.

“Based on the admission of guilt by the two of you of trespassing into the house … and stealing a bull whose worth is well above the minimum value to warrant amputation, I hereby order that each of you should have his right wrist amputated,” Judge Muhammadu Abubakar said. For what is this the right judgement? angry angry angry angry what the hell is this judgement all about

I hereby order that the sentence be carried out on October 8, on market day for members of the public to witness.”to withness and do what with it?? ok lesson to others, pls sharia law makers you guys should grow up, are we still in dark

The convicts were arraigned on August 8 following complaints to the police by a resident accusing them of stealing his bull from his house, which led to their arrest,  so they were not cought?? rather accusation, angry angry angry angry court documents showed.

Sharia and islam wake up angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry
Re: Sharia Court Sentences Two To Amputation For Theft by babyboy3(m): 7:43pm On Sep 09, 2011
I wonder what the Muslims on Nairaland have to say about such a barbarous sentence.

Tell me what happen to Achan in the Book of Joshua? when he stole the spoils of Jericho?
Re: Sharia Court Sentences Two To Amputation For Theft by Kolababa: 7:52pm On Sep 09, 2011
It is a pity that Shariah has been bastardised by our northern muslim brothers. Go to Saudi Arabia where the Shariah is fully in place, you hardly see a Saudi citizen amputated because he has no cause to steal, government is taking care of evrybody. But in Nigeria some people are stealing billions which in turn impoverish the poor talikawa of north, when this poor talikawa now steal a goat head to survive these looters are the one to decide that they should be amputated. Let me correct this impression about Shariah, "Shariah means justice and equity" not cutting of hands as people perceive it. If you do justice to something without fear or favour, tou have done Shariah.
Hear what Prophet Muhammed (S.A:w) said: "SURELY WHEN THE ELITES AMONG THEM STEAL OR COMMIT A CRIME, THEY PARDON THEM BUT WHEN THE WEAK ONES( THE POOR) COMMIT THE SAME OFFENCE, THEY ENFORCE THE LAW AND PUNISH THEM. I SWEAR BY ALLAH, IF FATIMAH MY DAUGHTER STEALS, I WILL DEFINITELY CUT HER HAND"
This is Shariah in action.
This is not wickedness, in some countries in Asia, stealing attracts death penalty which is more severe than amputation. What matter most is better economy to discourage stealing and JUSTICE AND EQUITY. do justice to something without fear or favour, tou have done Shariah.
Hear what Prophet Muhammed (S.A:w) said: "SURELY WHEN THE ELITES AMONG THEM STEAL OR COMMIT A CRIME, THEY PARDON THEM BUT WHEN THE WEAK ONES( THE POOR) COMMIT THE SAME OFFENCE, THEY ENFORCE THE LAW AND PUNISH THEM. I SWEAR BY ALLAH, IF FATIMAH MY DAUGHTER STEALS, I WILL DEFINITELY CUT HER HAND"
This is Shariah in action.
This is not wickedness, in some countries in Asia, stealing attracts death penalty which is more severe than amputation. What matter most is better economy to discourage stealing and JUSTICE AND EQUITY.
Re: Sharia Court Sentences Two To Amputation For Theft by Ericology(m): 7:55pm On Sep 09, 2011
baby-boy:

Tell me what happen to Achan in the Book of Joshua? when he stole the spoils of Jericho?

Dumb Dumber Dumbest, lol, It happened 5000yrs ago and Christians dont even apply the rule anywhere in the World
Re: Sharia Court Sentences Two To Amputation For Theft by kosoro: 7:55pm On Sep 09, 2011
[size=14pt]This is a typical example of religious barbarism![/size]
Re: Sharia Court Sentences Two To Amputation For Theft by oldtime(m): 8:02pm On Sep 09, 2011
@ Baby Boy,

The Case of Achan sited by you is Just the example followed by Islam,

you must understand that that is the practice of the Mosaic Law, "an eye for an eye"

The Sacrifice of Jesus as against the routine sacrifice of Bulls and Ram, is the better covenant which  provides mercy to those who are willing to accept

his offer, Now Jesus bore the penalty that you an i deserve by His death, we suffer still because of neglecting his offers of Salvation

The new Testament will not Kill Achan, Judgement is at God's Discretion as it happened to Annanias and Sephiras in Acts 5.

that was to preserve the Church when it was young and growing

However,  the great Judgement of God is what we must escape through Jesus, accepting Him as Lord and our saviour  

because according to Act 17,

And the times of this ignorance God winked at; but now commandeth all men every where to repent:

Because he hath appointed a day, in the which he will judge the world in righteousness by that man whom he hath ordained; whereof he hath given assurance unto all men, in that he hath raised him from the dead.  Ac 17:30-31

JESUS IS THE WAY. QED. not Moses. Not Mohammed. Jesus is the Final Judge . Run to Him now and you will be saved from the final Judgement of God. More than mere amputation

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Serious Warning, Be Alert And On The Look, Out For These Criminals / Nigerian Lady Beaten Mercilessly, Vagina Exposed For Allegedly Stealing Iphone12 / IGBO - Capital Of Homosexuality In Nigeria - Check This Out

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.