Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,759 members, 7,817,094 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:14 AM

Ogba Police Is Harassing Innocent People - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ogba Police Is Harassing Innocent People (4539 Views)

Photos Of NDA Cadets Harassing Civilians / Suicide Bomber Ran Away From Killing Innocent People In Maiduguri / Boko Haram: JTF Killed Innocent People And Not Our Members (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ogba Police Is Harassing Innocent People by Keziah(f): 12:36pm On Aug 29, 2007
Nigerian Police (s) Need Re-orientation

Help! Help! Help!

Recently the some officers from Area 'G' Ogba Police Station has turned Cybercafes to their hunting ground. They are harassing the innocents inclusive, no questions asked they just point people and cart them away. What has students that are filling their post-jamb form (Unilorin) and job seekers that are posting their CV got to do with Cyber Crimes? These men came and bundle everybody in the cafe to their station at Area 'G' Ogba, and everybody has to bail themself out with N5,000.00 each. If u fall a victim will u ever go to the cafe to do anything again? These people are really making life unbearable for people now. She make man pickin no go cafe for any reason again?

Tell me what kind of orientation do the Nigerian Police have? Were they not supposed to protect the innocent and arrest the guilty ones? I am at lost at their behaviour of recent.

Please if there is any Human Right Lawyer out there, please come to the aid of the oppressed from these power/money starve policemen. Please the I.G of police, please look into this matter before these men kill the people they were suppose to protect.

Pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!
Re: Ogba Police Is Harassing Innocent People by Keziah(f): 11:27am On Aug 30, 2007
People what can we do about these harrassment?

I feel like becoming SUPER WOMAN and flying to sue all these people, BUT i still need an accomplice abi na partner? I guess we all are cowards including u!
Re: Ogba Police Is Harassing Innocent People by bolseas(f): 11:52am On Aug 30, 2007
i still dont want to accept this slogan "police is ur friend"
even here in abuja, a police officer actually rough handled a fellow force man who is a Road safety officer.
d police was d one at fault. they always think dey are above the law.

@ Keziah
ur voice will be heard and action taken faster if u can post an article to one of the dailies (Guardian, Punch etc)
Re: Ogba Police Is Harassing Innocent People by Keziah(f): 12:15pm On Aug 30, 2007
I will appreciate if i can get their email addresses because all the EFCC numbers that were pasted on the Cafe are not functioning not even One! Na wah for Nija, i am really sick and tired of this Mickey Mouse Freedom we have in this country. But wetin man fit do?
Re: Ogba Police Is Harassing Innocent People by dejgan: 12:27pm On Aug 30, 2007
That police station Area "G" is notorious for such acts. I grew up in Ogba but now lives in abuja. my visit to lagos was made a horrible experience as this policemen teargassed the whole area without any reason. It is indeed sad. There have been frequent harrassment of innocent people around that area by this black boys who have refused to change their character but their uniforms.
Re: Ogba Police Is Harassing Innocent People by sojioguns(m): 12:48pm On Aug 30, 2007
The police are truly your friends. I am not saying it to justify the acts of some bad eggs. Yes, there are some bad eggs, as in every ramification in life. But there are a lot of good policemen. On the issue of the police bundling everybody to the station. It is an issue of appearance and image. I mean, as they perceive you, so they will treat you. You dont expect to wear a face cap facing backwards and a vest on baggy jeans with a stud in one ear without a valid form of ID and they wont bundle you. Face it! you need to look responsible, talk responsible and act responsible.
Look at this scenario: You are walking down a street or driving a car and a police van is performing a raid. What is the first thing that comes out of your mouth? Once you speak pidgin english, you have already given yourself away. You could go like this: "Good day officer. How is work? Then you ask him what is going on, that they are raiding" Remember that you have to look responsible though.
Just my two cents.
Re: Ogba Police Is Harassing Innocent People by bolseas(f): 12:52pm On Aug 30, 2007
@ keziah

lagospunch@punchontheweb.com

will get more later
Re: Ogba Police Is Harassing Innocent People by tboy1(m): 1:22pm On Aug 30, 2007
@ sojioguns

LOL, Which policeman is your friend? I really don't like it when people don't face the fact. Please the poster is talking about Cyber Cafe you're talking bout Driving or walking and a policeman stops you. So you've not heard a police officer who shot someone because he did not give them enough money(and there are so many stories like that). There are definitely more bad eggs than the good ones. I mean, it does not take the policemen 2 secs to check the screen and see what the individual is doing before they take the person away and i'm sure because of illiteracy once they see yahoo on the screen they will arrest the person thinking the person is a fraudstar

By the way i thought bail in Naija is now free

@ Poster

Yeah, you do need a lawyer
Re: Ogba Police Is Harassing Innocent People by sojioguns(m): 1:39pm On Aug 30, 2007
The truth is I used to work in ogba and the reason i stopped going to cybercafes is that 90% of people there are actually fraudsters. I have been stopped in ikeja with my laptop once and the policeman wanted me to actually turn on the laptop that he wants to see what i have in my "envelope" as he put it (he meant my documents). I thought it was ridiculous and immediately i told him that if he didnt have anything better to do he should leave me alone. He took offence and said i was under arrest. He demanded to see the receipt of the laptop, which i showed him but there was an alteration on it. you can guess what happened next. He said we needed to go to the station,
The point i am trying to make is that after the drama which was settled by a phone call to a commissioner friend of my dad, I checked myself and really, I looked like a Yahoo! boy (I was wearing a fitted short sleeved shirt with boot cut pants and slippers, DURING WORKING HOURS ON A WEEKDAY). I can swear that if i maybe put on a pair of shoes and addressed the situation more maturely, all that wouldnt have happened.
Re: Ogba Police Is Harassing Innocent People by JeSoul(f): 2:00pm On Aug 30, 2007
@sojioguns,
so it's okay for the police to arrest someone if they don't like the way they are dressed or the way they speak? what crime have they committed[b]? Even though I want to wear baggy jeans and speak pidgin that is my perogative! whether na work day or weekend, that does not give them the right to arrest or harrass me[/b]! haba! Police corruption has nuthin to do with that at all o.

I understand perception of the way a person appears is important BUT it's still not a justifiable reason to arrest anyone. And what about those people whose daddy's don't have commisioner friend like you? they would have sat in jail and paid exorbitant amount for bail for doing nothing criminal!

There is no statement as ridiculous as saying the police is your friend! there may be good ones, but they are very few.
Re: Ogba Police Is Harassing Innocent People by Keziah(f): 2:37pm On Aug 30, 2007
@sojioguns,

I don't leave at Ogba or near Ogba, you have to pay as much as N120 or N150 to get to my place from Ogba and the people arrested here are mostly Jambites/postjambites? and job seekers. That shows that these people they are theives and are in places where they were not even supposed to be.

By the way i don't think you have to put on the kind of Suite Daddy Adeboye or Chris Oyakhilome puts on before u are be viewed as a responsible citizen. What is wrong is wrong let's face it!
Re: Ogba Police Is Harassing Innocent People by Keziah(f): 2:40pm On Aug 30, 2007
On an occasion, I know a guy who lives in Gowon Estate, Egbeda and was on his way to fill his cooking gas closeby, right within the estate when the policemen claiming to be Anti-Robbery Squad attached to the Nigeria Police at Gowon Estate, Moshalashi Bus-stop, Ipaja, Lagos stopped him. The team was led by one Edo indigene named Constable Oscar. Having checked the entire car and found no fault or offence, Oscar had asked for an ID which my friend left at home, having just returned from work, realizing his gas is finished and was dashing down to the gas station nearby. He had presented his driver’s license and all documents of the car. Two gas cylinders were on the seat of the car to prove intent. He had some of his complimentary cards which he also tendered. Somehow he had not his I.D. They insisted that his crime was not having his I.D. and he must follow them to the police station. This was very ridiculous so at a point my friend got infuriated and fired back at them that not having an I.D. cannot be said to be a crime. Is the country not aware that there is a high level of unemployment in Nigeria and does our constsitution make having a job a mandatory requirement for being a Nigerian or living in Nigeria. He asserted his position that that is not enough reason to be arrested when evidence abound through the car documents and Driver’s license of his true identity. Team leader Oscar desperate for a loot, quickly looked around and accused my friend of carrying a police sticker when he was not a policeman and forced him to the station. After delaying my friend unduly for about three hours, he ended up coughing out N1,000 to the crookish cops, Oscar and Co of the police station. A few days later, a senior police officer explained in the Punch Newspaper that it is no crime to have a police sticker on your car even if you are not a policeman. It is not impersonation. It is identifying with the police, being proud of the police and advertising the police. It is actually a commendable practice to agree to wear a police sticker on your car, especially considering the poor image and unfriendly attitudes of the Nigeria Police. It is a dis-service to your person and your car but one is urged by patriotic sentiments.

So u can see my point and greviances against our so-called Police (the bad eggs)
Re: Ogba Police Is Harassing Innocent People by sojioguns(m): 2:47pm On Aug 30, 2007
Dont get me wrong. I also have my grudges for the NPF. I am just saying that instead of acting on impulse once confronted by the police, we could be diplomatic. We would avoid a lot of things that way.
Re: Ogba Police Is Harassing Innocent People by Koolking(m): 3:09pm On Aug 30, 2007
Nigerian Police is a national embarrasment. Some people argued that their meager salary justifies their corrupt tendencies. I disagree. Even if the least rank in the force goes home every month end with N100,000 , they can never be change. The force is made up of crazy Sadists, insidious elements. wasted and hopeless generation of animals. Most people join the force to eke a living and not for the passion. They joined because they are frustrated in the society, they no longer believe in their future. Police Force is a BIG CURSE and they can never get out of this curse. Innocent people are crying to God for revenge in all atrocities they committed against them. My old friends who joined the force, I see them as irresponsibles, misfits in the society. I have even stopped calling them friends because curses are upon them. I hate them like a Satan hates christ. Mind you, I am always very uncomfortable seeing a policeman than a well-armed-robber. Police comes disguise as friend but to kill, destroy, extort and maim while a robber does the same but come as a known predator. Only god will save us from the menace of these beast called Nigerian Police.
Re: Ogba Police Is Harassing Innocent People by romeo(m): 3:33pm On Aug 30, 2007
@sojiogun
are you a police man? or are you from the bush area?

sojioguns:

The police are truly your friends. I am not saying it to justify the acts of some bad eggs. Yes, there are some bad eggs, as in every ramification in life. But there are a lot of good policemen. On the issue of the police bundling everybody to the station. It is an issue of appearance and image. I mean, as they perceive you, so they will treat you. You don't expect to wear a face cap facing backwards and a vest on baggy jeans with a stud in one ear without a valid form of ID and they wont bundle you. Face it! you need to look responsible, talk responsible and act responsible.
Look at this scenario: You are walking down a street or driving a car and a police van is performing a raid. What is the first thing that comes out of your mouth? Once you speak pidgin english, you have already given yourself away. You could go like this: "Good day officer. How is work? Then you ask him what is going on, that they are raiding"

studs, baggy pants, oversized shirts and everyother thing you call irresponsible because of your old age, looks responsible to me. You do not expect people relaxing on their neighbourhoods to wear tie and suit 24-7? please relax your archaic mind and let the younger generation be
Re: Ogba Police Is Harassing Innocent People by amaikama(m): 3:44pm On Aug 30, 2007
And yet allot of Nairalanders say, Nigerian police are underfunded, Nigerian police are not equipped to fight crimes, Nigerian police home taking package is nothing when in fact these people are stark illiterate. angry
Re: Ogba Police Is Harassing Innocent People by amaikama(m): 3:50pm On Aug 30, 2007
@KOOLKING!

"Nigerian Police is a national embarrasment. Some people argued that their meager salary justifies their corrupt tendencies. I disagree. Even if the least rank in the force goes home every month end with N100,000 , they can never be change. The force is made up of crazy Sadists, insidious elements. wasted and hopeless generation of animals. Most people join the force to eke a living and not for the passion. They joined because they are frustrated in the society, they no longer believe in their future. Police Force is a BIG CURSE and they can never get out of this curse. Innocent people are crying to God for revenge in all atrocities they committed against them. My old friends who joined the force, I see them as irresponsibles, misfits in the society. I have even stopped calling them friends because curses are upon them. I hate them like a Satan hates christ. Mind you, I am always very uncomfortable seeing a policeman than a well-armed-robber. Police comes disguise as friend but to kill, destroy, extort and maim while a robber does the same but come as a known predator. Only god will save us from the menace of these beast called Nigerian Police."

JUST FOR YOUR SAKE, I WILL TALK TO SEUN TO GIVE YOU AN AWARD. YOU REALLY DESERVE IT FOR THIS WRITE UP.
Re: Ogba Police Is Harassing Innocent People by Keziah(f): 4:00pm On Aug 30, 2007
bolseas:

will get more later

Thanks alot! I have sent an article to them relating to this, i sincerely hope they publish it.
Re: Ogba Police Is Harassing Innocent People by hannydarl(f): 4:02pm On Aug 30, 2007
@sijiogun
To say the truth I was boiling when reading your posts that the police officer arrested you is quite ok by me afterall you aprrove it but please let them stop harassing innocent people who dont have commisioners as their "daddy's "friends. Only an Illiterate with no orrientation of his rights will say a police officer is right if he sees a guy he percieves to be bad and  and arrests him. Do you know how many innocents who have protested their inocence the police have beaten up and parraded in front of camera with guns charms and ammulets that the police planted on them just to show those innocent boys "pepper" for challenging the police officer who only wanted #5000 bribe?
All I kknow is that in this country the police is only a friend to the rich who can grease their palms be he innocent or guilty angry
Re: Ogba Police Is Harassing Innocent People by Keziah(f): 4:04pm On Aug 30, 2007
bolseas:

will get more later

Thanks alot! I have sent an article to them relating to this, i sincerely hope they publish it.
Re: Ogba Police Is Harassing Innocent People by sojioguns(m): 4:43pm On Aug 30, 2007
@ romeo, Correction, I am a very young man (24). I just thank God for what I have achieved at my age. I am not saying dress in suits. I dont wear suits unless I have an important engagement. just look smart. Finish. And I am not your dad, so no be by force to listen to me. That is why it is called a forum. We share opinions.
Re: Ogba Police Is Harassing Innocent People by romeo(m): 5:08pm On Aug 30, 2007
sojioguns:

@ romeo, Correction, I am a very young man (24). I just thank God for what I have achieved at my age. I am not saying dress in suits. I don't wear suits unless I have an important engagement. just look smart. Finish. And I am not your dad, so no be by force to listen to me. That is why it is called a forum. We share opinions.

And i still thank God for what you have achieved at your age ok, lol
the fact that you don not like studs or baggy pants does not give you the right to brand the people wearing them irresponsibles, like you have a different opinion people still have different fashion tastes
Re: Ogba Police Is Harassing Innocent People by sojioguns(m): 5:31pm On Aug 30, 2007
I never said they were irresponsible. I am saying that that is the way the police sees them. To avoid the harassment, we just need to act smart until the corruption in the NPF is curtailed.
Re: Ogba Police Is Harassing Innocent People by romeo(m): 5:50pm On Aug 30, 2007
now you are talking sense boy
Re: Ogba Police Is Harassing Innocent People by osereka(m): 6:09pm On Aug 30, 2007
Police is your friend
to make the friendship better,
be ready to rogger them at all times grin
Re: Ogba Police Is Harassing Innocent People by Nobody: 7:02pm On Aug 30, 2007
sojioguns:

The police are truly your friends. I am not saying it to justify the acts of some bad eggs. Yes, there are some bad eggs, as in every ramification in life. But there are a lot of good policemen. On the issue of the police bundling everybody
the station. It is an issue of appearance and image. I mean, as they perceive you, so they will treat you. You don't expect to wear a face cap facing backwards and a vest on baggy jeans with a stud in one ear without a valid form of ID and they wont bundle you. Face it! you need to look responsible, talk responsible and act responsible.
Look at this scenario: You are walking down a street or driving a car and a police van is performing a raid. What is the first thing that comes out of your mouth? Once you speak pidgin english, you have already given yourself away. You could go like this: "Good day officer. How is work? Then you ask him what is going on, that they are raiding" Remember that you have to look responsible though.

Just my two cents.

@ sojioguns

are you retarded?
Re: Ogba Police Is Harassing Innocent People by Ade0001(m): 8:41pm On Aug 30, 2007
We all agree that there are bad eggs (and most time,one is forced to agree that the bad eggs are in majority) within the Police force, I still think there are ways we can help ourselves. In most neighborhoods in Lagos, there are some notorious cybercafe, that are patronized mainly by the so-called YAHOO YAHOO boys. Let's face the fact, if you are truly innocent, you will see the people around you and by their faces you shall know them. If you decide to pit your tent with fraudsters, and you're unlucky to seen in their company, you will be treated like a fraudster. Whenever I need to use public cybercafe, i do look at people around me before making up my mind to sit down there. In my case, the nearest cybercafe to my house is one of such notorious ones, and I will be very stupid to go and sit down there, no matter how urgent the need is.

Also, if I may use my experience with the Police as a basis for assessment, I had been stopped and searched by Police in several parts of Lagos, and none of them has harrassed me for once. The way we present and carry ourselve is the only wepaon we have, let us present ourselves as responsible as we can. God will continue to help us.
Re: Ogba Police Is Harassing Innocent People by Xtremeshok: 10:19pm On Aug 30, 2007
All police officers are deeply corrupt, they harass people without justification on a daily basis and yet the commissioner of police always come on TV and makes all sought of claims about fighting crime here in Lagos, may ogun punish dem all! Amen.
Re: Ogba Police Is Harassing Innocent People by WarfyBoy(m): 2:35am On Aug 31, 2007
I live at Oke-ira Ogba, imagine this nite i went out to buy biscuite to take whole body till tomorrow, an im de mala man dey ask me say wether i no dey fear police!, i tell am say i kno wan enta there wahala ohh, because 2 weeks ago i wan go buy food with my guy, na im 1 Danfo stop, a voice from inside said " hey how far make una kom" dem no nid to tell me b4 i go run now, i lazy for u ohh, wen there eye dey shook

But why all these, i have heard various news dat pipo get arrested for notin sake y our own friend as dem claim go kom turn nite mare to us y, the FG nid to do sumtin abt this ohhh, if dem kom just c u for cafe, mem ur own don finish be dat, early morning as early as 5:00am dem don kom road dey carry pipo

please if u r close to the power holders pls tell dem abt this we nid hlpe
Re: Ogba Police Is Harassing Innocent People by bishopxl(m): 2:38am On Aug 31, 2007
Don't mind them they don't have anyting better to do.
they sud go and arrest those so call area boy if they jobless undecided undecided angry
Re: Ogba Police Is Harassing Innocent People by bencobenz(m): 8:54am On Aug 31, 2007
It is not only in Ogba that the indiscriminate arrest is taking
place. Last Friday i was coming back from my office with my GMAT
i took to the office to study for the 1st bank test, in it was my
younger brother's JAMB result, sworn affidavit and certificate of
origin. I was supposed to pass it on to somebody who is helping
him to process his admission. Unfortunately that evening as i was
going back home i was arrested for illegal possesion of my own
brother's document. Can you imagine that? I was detained for
over 4 hours before a friend came to bail me with the sum of
=N=1,500. So if you are helping somebody to look for job,
mind the way you go about with their doc. sad
Re: Ogba Police Is Harassing Innocent People by Keziah(f): 9:25am On Aug 31, 2007
@bencobenz
Pele. I am laughing hard here. Atleast u carry something when the unlearned abi na illiterate policeman call illega. I wonder the kind of training they give them before they join the force. When i see most of them at roadblocks i am always like na waoo! U could actually see an idiot that droped out of Nursery/Pry school go and join the police force and the guy go even dey claim right give you.

I sincerely hope that the I.G or Commissioner for once do something meaningful about these men before they will turn to full time armed robbers in daylight.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nigeria Runs The Risk Of Collapse —fayemi / Anambra Flags-Off Construction Of Three Bridges / I Knew I Would Lose In 2007 Polls - Atiku

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.