Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,490 members, 7,836,917 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 02:31 PM

Ogba Police Is Harassing Innocent People - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ogba Police Is Harassing Innocent People (4555 Views)

Photos Of NDA Cadets Harassing Civilians / Suicide Bomber Ran Away From Killing Innocent People In Maiduguri / Boko Haram: JTF Killed Innocent People And Not Our Members (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ogba Police Is Harassing Innocent People by dudubobo1: 9:27am On Aug 31, 2007
I experienced the stupidity and sheer madness of the Nigeria Police last year in Nigeria. How does an officer ask for the reciept with which payment was made for a change in registration number when you have the certificate of change with you? I stood in the sun for about 2 hours but I refused to give any bribe and I never did even when I went to the police station, I went to speak with the DPO who asked them to return all the particulars and let me go my way.

Imagine being asked for the receipt with which you paid your road tax when you have the road tax!!!

Nigerian Police is a national embarrasment. Some people argued that their meager salary justifies their corrupt tendencies. I disagree. Even if the least rank in the force goes home every month end with N100,000 , they can never be change. The force is made up of crazy Sadists, insidious elements. wasted and hopeless generation of animals. Most people join the force to eke a living and not for the passion. They joined because they are frustrated in the society, they no longer believe in their future. Police Force is a BIG CURSE and they can never get out of this curse. Innocent people are crying to God for revenge in all atrocities they committed against them. My old friends who joined the force, I see them as irresponsibles, misfits in the society. I have even stopped calling them friends because curses are upon them. I hate them like a Satan hates christ. Mind you, I am always very uncomfortable seeing a policeman than a well-armed-robber. Police comes disguise as friend but to kill, destroy, extort and maim while a robber does the same but come as a known predator. Only god will save us from the menace of these beast called Nigerian Police.

The policemen and women are recruited from the Nigerian society. They did not fall from heaven so if they are so rotten, maybe we should consider our society as a whole. I have it on record that several thousands of people try to join the police force everytime they have a recruitment exercise. The police is terrible but the police is from among us. Maybe each Nigerian needs to examine themselves truthfully and ask if they wont do the same were they to be wearing the same police uniform.
Re: Ogba Police Is Harassing Innocent People by hannydarl(f): 10:41am On Aug 31, 2007
@Dudu-bobo

you are right my dear I think most nigerians if given power will do anything to make quick cash I remember a day my aunt sent a cousine of mine to buy bread unknown to her the #200 naira was fake naira note given to her as "change" the malam selling stuff recognised it as fake and some stinking hausa mopol followed the child to my auntys house they said she was minting fake money and searched the house withouth a warrant they said she had the money machine in the house and to bail herself out of trouble she should give them #10000 naira if not she will be arrested I wanted to challenge them when one pointed his gun at me and threatened to shoot me if I support her the poor old woman just said I should leave them alone since they can kill and lie that I was among a group of robbers that exchanged fire with them.To say the truth if I see a police or mopol man dying I wont lift a finger to help .Police I just dont like them but to think of it many nigerians will do just the same if given the uniform. Anything for money I dare say
Re: Ogba Police Is Harassing Innocent People by bencobenz(m): 11:08am On Aug 31, 2007
@Keziah

Thank you jare.

@Dudu-bobo

Your own case is good ooooo!! In my own case when i met the DPO and explained things to him,
he was the one that asked them to detain me.
Imagine staying in the cell for over 4 hours for having my brother's JAMB result in my possession!!!!!!!
Re: Ogba Police Is Harassing Innocent People by kelvin(m): 1:06pm On Aug 31, 2007
Frankly speaking, I don't think there are any good eggs among this men in black. I have not been unfortunate enough to have a personal meeting with them before and I don't look foward to having that pleasure. But I think what our police need is proper orientation and training. They should also be taught how to work within the constituition and respect human rights.
Re: Ogba Police Is Harassing Innocent People by bencobenz(m): 1:44pm On Aug 31, 2007
kelvin:

Frankly speaking, I don't think there are any good eggs among this men in black. I have not been unfortunate enough to have a personal meeting with them before and I don't look foward to having that pleasure. But I think what our police need is proper orientation and training. They should also be taught how to work within the constituition and respect human rights.

There are good ones among them, it is just that they are very, very, few, may be 2 out of 1000.
Even these few are influenced by the bad ones as time goes on.
I quite agree with you on the issue of proper orientation and training.
Re: Ogba Police Is Harassing Innocent People by son(m): 9:20pm On Aug 31, 2007
@bencobenz,
that is really generous of you, its actually 1 in 300000.

I hardly reply to general posts on here, but this one caught my eye and i cldnt resist the urge to post.
First fact is that there is no clean cop in Naija, its like saying a born again christian working in Guiness is sincere.

Naija cops are all cowards, trust me when we who hv a bit of connection and craze start standing up to them enmasse there'll start to be a shake up.
In december i was home from the UK for 6 weeks. trust me it was a battle with the cops over the million types of documentation a car needs to ply the Lagos route.

Sam and his Area G gang at Ogba wont forget me in a minute.
One of them idiots did not know where the chasis nos for a honda babyboy was and took us to the station, now these bastards did not not take us to the counter but to the back of the station where they had just killed someone, imagine them threathening to kill an area boi saying stuff like " we just shoot one now" to scare him; the poor boi was shaking. I was disgusted

I called my friend whos car i was using and when he got there he was mad, he showed them the chasis nos and they felt stupid.

Three days later on a sunday these punks were just a few yards away from aguda after omole, they asked us for the papers of the car and stuff, we showed them . Next thing the idiot attending to us said the car was suspicious and that he had to see the ORIGINAL receipt for the vehicle.

I WENT BERSERK.

Who in his right senses will leave the original receipt of a vehicle in his car, especially in Naija.
Six of them muthaf'ers cld not handle me. i told em i wasnt based in naija and they better not be decieved by my jeans and t-shirt, i said i had been to Area G a few days back and nothing would get me in there again at least not when i am alive.
I was screaming so loud and poking one of the cops in the chest asking him to shoot me.

Now this sounds hard to believe, but im not a small boy, im not a yahoo yahoo boi, and i don't really hv alot of patience with naija cops. In my days i'd hv shouted out that i was a pressman, but people i don old now.
Why shld they harrass people anyhow? why must they blame me for their frustration and bad luck? when i was in school to learn why them no go school or is it my fault that i got a good education and their poor parents cldnt afford to educate them?

At least i was given some hungry ones 50 bucks at check points!!! ah ah

Why shld their failure be my problem?

I am so looking forward to my next trip to naija, because i intend to live life to the full in any part of Lagos be it razz or Behind, and heck why can't i go to the cyber cafe? Is it no longer a public place for people wivout internet connection at home to browse?
Some dudes here say that they profile people, and that once u fit the desription of a yahoo yahoo boi (tight fitted shirts, boot cut pants, ) they pick you up.

Bollocks!

These rotten cops are people like us they live in face me i face u with people like us, i wont instigate people to start burning down the houses of their cop neighbours, because that wont avert the crisis.

All i'll say is that people with access to authority betta get involved and step up against the ass wipes. They even have a forum http://www.nigeriapolice.org/forum/

WARNING:If u no get liver abeg sidon jeje,

O boi i vex gan oooooo, lol
Re: Ogba Police Is Harassing Innocent People by jewelking(m): 4:04pm On Sep 01, 2007
We don't have to be surprise at least they are our friends embarassed, we suppose to feel safe whenever we have them around, but its d other way round. I think i will have to get some tiny cameras into my car and my eye glasses too and begin a hunt for these set of shameless people. I dont think we need the IG to reduce the ultimate crime cos "SAME NI", as soon as i finish up with my little research u guys wil definitely see it on CNN and that wil surely teach us a lesson!
Re: Ogba Police Is Harassing Innocent People by Keziah(f): 6:09pm On Sep 01, 2007
jewelking:

We don't have to be surprise at least they are our friends embarassed, we suppose to feel safe whenever we have them around, but its d other way round. I think i will have to get some tiny cameras into my car and my eye glasses too and begin a hunt for these set of shameless people. I don't think we need the IG to reduce the ultimate crime because "SAME NI", as soon as i finish up with my little research u guys wil definitely see it on CNN and that wil surely teach us a lesson!

LOL. Same here, I am going to be carring a Camera Phone both for recording, i really mean thses bastards this time.

But, i don't pray to be taken to their station, cos if they do, they certainly search and sieze ur phone before u get to use it against them or even call a Lawyer. So be really careful with these people, because they can even shoot u if they know what u are doing.
Re: Ogba Police Is Harassing Innocent People by oge4real(f): 6:50pm On Sep 01, 2007
@osereka,
are you for us or against us?
Re: Ogba Police Is Harassing Innocent People by jewelking(m): 7:02pm On Sep 01, 2007
If u see a rattlesnake and police, i will advice u to kill police cos he's more dangerous, so many of them are very dirty, drink alcohol and take hard drugs. some even wear a tore uniform, and can hardly construct a simple English,

"Wetin dey ur booth"
" u go fit settle dis case so?"
"wey yah paper?"
"u wan see oga abi?'
"i go lock u inside cell now!"
u wan tell me say u go school abi ? ( that is when u r replying in plane English)
and most annoyingly

"OYA ROGER/FIND ME SOMETHING"

I think organization like Nigeria Police should be robust not for illiterates.
Re: Ogba Police Is Harassing Innocent People by ifababa(m): 9:06am On Sep 02, 2007
@sojioguns

Its so very disgusting to have people like you around a problem stricken nation, Can you read all youve written at all ?, And you must be some damed,brain washed statistical analyst to say 90% of people in ogba are fraudsters, Ii think the right statement shoul be that 99% of police in ogba are corrupt,fraudsters and thieves , But id conclude that if you were in the police force you would have been a lot worse,

Do you now have to drive a car to avoid police harrasement, ? and do you think people that drive cars dont face their harrasement, ? What kind of work o you do in ogba in the first place, ?

Ive had ogba as my base the whole of my life, and men , i just dont know where to start my explanation of the cruelty and harrasement people have faced in this ogba area,

This big open mouthed sojioguns should have made mention of the fact that there was a bank robbery carried out by policemen of the area G police command ogba early this year, It made a national issue,after their arrest,

Now im beggining to think that soji ogun's father is a policeman in areaG , Cos no one that has actually worked or stayed in ogba would be ignorant of the maltreatment of the area G policethieves,
Re: Ogba Police Is Harassing Innocent People by ifababa(m): 9:23am On Sep 02, 2007
Just last week, my fiancee was arrested and bundled into a bus by this same area G policemen right on my street around 9pm while she was just strolling down the street to by some oranges with 50naira in her hand,putting on a boxers ,a short sleeved top and a bathroom slippers, As if that was not enough .they now took her around their whole raiding activity, as they call it to only have her released in front of the police station at around 1am,

Worse still,when she didnt have any money to pay them nor phone to call anyone,as she left her phone at home[my place] they collected the 50 naira she intended to use in buying orange from her and some of the policemen even asked to sleep with her right there in the bus after they'd released every other people that paid them ,which of course she refused causing them to leave her to walk[treck] down back to my place and exposing her to such harzards as one might get at that time of the day 1am for Gods sake,

Now for whitewash brained Mr soji oguns to say that police is your friend and 90% of people living in ogba are fraudsters, I suppose he also assumes that strolling down your street to buy an orange is also fraud, BULLSHIT !!!
Re: Ogba Police Is Harassing Innocent People by mellow(m): 10:27am On Sep 02, 2007
Nothing will ever make me carry a Police in my car. They are a national epicdemy.

I can never associate with them. Any brother of mine that joins will be diaoened by

yours sincerely.
angry angry
Re: Ogba Police Is Harassing Innocent People by Lexyl(m): 1:31pm On Sep 02, 2007
I stayed in Ogba, to be oinest with you most of the Cafe's in Ogba are full of cyber Fraudstars, pick 8 out of 10 people in any of the cafes the cyber fraudstars. Its highly ridiculous if this trend can continue,
The issue of the police harrassing innocent citizens at cafes is because. Most of the Police in Ogba are aware of this cybercrime and their is always a returns by the cybercafe mgt give to police so as not to come and harrass those Yahooboys and girls at there cafe. If you don't at your own cafe, you will keep on having subsequent harrasment.
Area G Police in Ogba are not reliable and they are full shits, most of them are not learned. Infact the Police station at Ogba need the touch of God.
Conclusion. Yahoo boys are too much in Ogba. Bleep all the Police in Ogba.
Re: Ogba Police Is Harassing Innocent People by bencobenz(m): 10:26am On Sep 03, 2007
@ jewelking

Yes O!!!
In fact if you see an armed robber and policeman, I'll advise you kill the policeman first.
They are worse than armed robbers.
Re: Ogba Police Is Harassing Innocent People by Nobody: 10:53am On Sep 03, 2007
Now, this IS one of the reasons I refuse to live in Nigeria - last time I was there was back in June 1990. Why on earth should I be "careful" what I wear, for fear of being harrassed by a member of the NPF?

I have had a very unpleasant experience with the NPF, back in 1987. I was stopped driving my mothers car, I was asked to show my drivers licence, certificate of insurance and roadworthiness etc. I had all of them on me. Then, the officer said I was "suspected" of using the car as an illegal taxi cab! I had a friend in the car, she was NOT a paying passenger. I was taken aside by one of the officers, and told, he'd plead with his "superior" on my behalf, but I'd need to give him "something" to make it worth my while.

I refused, I DID have money on me, but no way was I going to bribe my way out of a situation that did NOT exist. It did get pretty heated, and another "officer" threatened to take my friend into a local "bukka" to "enjoy" her! shocked That was the last straw, and I demanded to be arrested, and taken to the station. The officers didn't call my bluff, and let us go, but said if they ever caught me using a private car as a taxi in future, they'd show me no mercy.

So, as far as I'm concerned, stuff the NPF. They are just bloody scumbags, parasitic leeches, the scum of the earth. I'd rather be friends with a pack of Hyena, at least it's their nature to be parasites and scavengers. The NPF have no excuse, they're meant to uphold the law, and protect the public.
Re: Ogba Police Is Harassing Innocent People by Keziah(f): 2:29pm On Sep 03, 2007
@Lexyl
I don't even live at Ogba or anywhere close to Ogba, you have to spend as much as N120 to N150 from my place to Ogba. Tell me if these people do not know there Territory or District.

@Siena
You have said it all and God bless u for coming up with those beautiful names, it fits them like a Cloak of Glory.
Re: Ogba Police Is Harassing Innocent People by jibolala(m): 4:59pm On Sep 03, 2007
I think Nigerian police needs re-orientation.There is this strong bond between them and area boys.I remember some few years ago,i was driving with an old t.v of mine which i was taken to my parents.I noticed one area boy looked into my car and he ran to the police to inform them to arrest me.I told them  they should tell me what traffic offence i have commited and moreso i want to know the identity of that area boy that stands as spy.I shouted on top of my voice, that they were really embarrased.The head of the team called me aside and apologised for his boys 'misbehaviour'.(I guess he did that because he felt i'm a VIP that can put them into trouble).He begged me that i should identify myself so that they will not make such mistake again. I told him that ''i'm a citizen of this country that know my right!''
Re: Ogba Police Is Harassing Innocent People by foxyrichie(m): 3:08am On Sep 04, 2007
The truth is that NPF seriously needs revamping! All Nigerian police officers are always looking out for one thing; to charge the poor citizens of one crime or the other, when they can't find any sensible charge, they always come up with insane ones. I think our presido, YarAdua should declare State of Emergency on Nigerian Police Force
Re: Ogba Police Is Harassing Innocent People by foxyrichie(m): 3:36am On Sep 04, 2007
The truth is that NPF seriously needs revamping! They are fond of laying one form of charge or the other on people. When they can't find you guilty on any sensible charge, they always come up with insane ones. I believe it's time Sir Musa YarAdua declares State of Emergency on dem Police force. They are very Irritating to us all!
Re: Ogba Police Is Harassing Innocent People by ThoniaSlim(f): 7:54am On Sep 05, 2007
i saw a post saying they are paid a little amount thats why they act the way they do. excuse me cut me some slack, there are police men in other countries paid lower than the nigerian police but they don't act the way they do. the nigerian police is just so dirty and polluted, may most of them rought in hell, ass holes. angry
Re: Ogba Police Is Harassing Innocent People by Keziah(f): 11:53am On Sep 05, 2007
All of us having being talking, talking and talking about the problem without offering a solution. I have a Great solution to this:

STRATEGIC SOLUTION TO HARASSMENT OF NPF.
1. We all Nairalanders talk 2 Seun to give us permission to organize a Concert
2. We will tag the Concert "Save the Poor"
3. We ll invite the whole world (since Nairaland is for Nigerians and friends of Nigeria)
4. All Nairalanders will perform (according to Ur talent)
5. All the money/monies realized (estimate of trillions by my calculation)
6. We ll donate all the monies to the Nigerian Police Force from our large heart in order to avoid future harassment.
7. Once in our lives (Nigerians in this generation) we ll be totally free from NPF until the days of ur children's children cry.

But since by His grace nairaland will still be available for them they can always see my great solution and repeat it over and over again from generation to generation.  grin

This is my Widows mite straight from my Large Heart. undecided

Am i not great ? Someone tell me if i am not a genius, Seun we can be partners sha. What do u say? cool
Re: Ogba Police Is Harassing Innocent People by Olulayomi(f): 1:00pm On Sep 06, 2007
In fact, Keziah thank you, if been looking for a way to say something about this "Area G Policemen":.  They are the most dumbest people I've ever come across.   They decided to put their dead brain to work recently and guys, they really put me off.  Imaging, them arresting an innocent security man of a company and roping him into a robbery case even after, everybody had identity him and they did not even find a pin with him except his whistle.   The situation was so bad, I can really go into details now, but my feelings is that  as a citizen of this country, if one does not know "anybody" , one will just continue to suffer for nothing.

I couldn't just imaging the type of people they employ into Police Force, I also heard of an armed robbery case that happened around Osmond on Saturday night to a friend , who stopped for the police for routine check on a checkpoint but unfortunately they were armed robbers in police uniform(and were did they got the uniforms from?), they collected their phones,  wristwatches and money and tell them to go.  So guys, what can we say to this,

I saw their CP in Lagos State defending them on STV the other time and I really shake my head, he said there is no innocent person in Kirikiri, can you beat that?  Anyway, i just dont like their attitude and Wish the authority can just do something about their hopeless situation.

Maybe the the Govt should sack the force we have now and employ new people, who will put on white as their uniform because the uniform they are putting on now, is really affecting them and I know, the new blue one will not help matter either.
Re: Ogba Police Is Harassing Innocent People by Keziah(f): 4:06pm On Sep 07, 2007
Olulayomi:

Maybe the the Govt should sack the force we have now and employ new people, who will put on white as their uniform because the uniform they are putting on now, is really affecting them and I know, the new blue one will not help matter either. 

I don laugh die grin cheesy wink Sis both of us fit spearhead this campaign sha. How about this? Both of us will hustle and look for a way to sponsor the sewing of this their New Uniform. What do you say?
Re: Ogba Police Is Harassing Innocent People by Nobody: 10:18am On Sep 10, 2007
ThoniaSlim:

i saw a post saying they are paid a little amount thats why they act the way they do. excuse me cut me some slack, there are police men in other countries paid lower than the nigerian police but they don't act the way they do. the nigerian police is just so dirty and polluted, may most of them rought in hell, ass holes. angry

Easy, Anthonia, you're a lady!
Re: Ogba Police Is Harassing Innocent People by manu4laif: 9:28am On Sep 11, 2007
I couldn't help but comment on this topic because really the Ogba Police are just a reflection of the rot in the force and in our society.My take is that YOU GET THE POLICE FORCE THAT YOU DESERVE.

Many years of military rule has so traumatised us that the rule of law takes second place.
Many do not know what  their rights are and how to insist on those rights. Those who know are just too selfish to care what happens to others. How many of us would pass by checkpoints knowing the Ploice are extorting money from a woman with kids in the vehicle and stop to enquire what's going on.How many of us indeed have all our necessary documents and are willing to sacrifice the extra 30 minutes to see that we are not swindled by some of the goons that litter our roads in the name of the Police. I have had several encounters with the Police to know that those guys are definitely NOT your friends.While not all are terrible the few good ones are still part of a terribly rotten system and are difficult to identify. In any case just like engineers in GSM companies might be courtoeus and respectful we form most of our opinions on their call centre executives or other frontline staff. Makes sense.

@Sojioguns,
I disagree that being well dressed or your approach will stop the man who wants to swindle you from doing so. Sometime last year my brother and I were accosted once by Policemen on Stop and Search by Allen /Toyin roundabout in Lagos. We came out of the car and they searched.They requested for ID which was given. My brother works in well known oil company while I work with an equally well known blue chip so you'd expect that based on your theory that should be all.I do not wear face caps or baggy jeans or blare music in my car. Next the  'officer'  picked our phones and wanted to begin to operate . It was of course locked and I warned him of the consequences of any damage to the phone. We reported to the Inspector on duty who was as dumb as his subordinate.We now asked the guy if he wanted to check the numbers on the phone and he said yes. I told him to bring the phone so I could unlock it .On collection we refused and told them to take us to the station and obtain a proper warrant to search personal things on the phone. We insisted that their right to search stopped when it came to looking at personal stuff on our phones(without a warrant).We were eventually allowed to go.
In Nigeria you can only get redress when you call their bosses or are a lawyer or a journalist. Or if you take pains to insist on your rights and follow through to make sure they are not trampled upon.When more people do this those guys will sit up and these things will reduce.

For now though the Police is not your friend
Re: Ogba Police Is Harassing Innocent People by bolorunfem(f): 4:04pm On Sep 11, 2007
My kid brother (in kampala top and trouser) and I (dressed in simple skirt & blouse) were coming from Cash & Carry in Ikeja with a newly purchased 14" TV set, we boarded 'keke Marwa'. The police serving as security men to popular bank on Acme road stopped the tricyle and demanded for the receipt of the set. This we promptly produced, but unfortunately for us the yellow coloured receipt given by Cash & Carry did not contain any name, as in there was no provision for name at all (that is their default receipt as I later found out). That was it! The black-hearted men in black uniform declared that we were under arrested as the TV was a stolen item and the receipt was fake.We explained and explained to no avail, my request that they followed us to the store fell on deaf ears! They threatened to take us to their station.We were now carrying television from one officer to the other, crossing the road and going to and fro embarassed. Suddenly I remembered I knew someone who worked in that bank, I left my brother and went in search of the woman who in turn informed her boss, the bank manager. In short it was the sight of the bank manager with me that made them release the TV for us. They were now saying 'ah, oga, na u she go call? Oga sorry o, and na help we wan help am o! (idiots). The stupid men now turned the case around, claiming they were doing it for me, because if a thief steals the TV in future, with my name not appearing on the receipt I wouldn't be able to claim ownership. Only God knows what I'd have gone through if I did not know anybody around. A BEG, NIGERIA POLICE NO BE ANYBODY FRIEND O shocked shocked
Re: Ogba Police Is Harassing Innocent People by Keziah(f): 5:14pm On Sep 12, 2007
And up till date i have not heard any contribution or advice from any Human Right Activist/Human Right Lawyer. That's a shame and what a pity for the common man in this country with all the noise they make about Human Right Lawyers. embarassed cry
Re: Ogba Police Is Harassing Innocent People by Purist(m): 4:42pm On Dec 30, 2007
One thing I've learnt about the NPF in this Lagos: If you love your life dearly, NEVER argue with an armed policeman. Trying to "prove" or "declare" your "innocence" or "rights" with a policeman carrying a gun, is equal to endangering your life.

The situation is just abysmal.

(1) (2) (Reply)

40% Of Nigerians Lack Access To Food, Says Don / PHOTO of Sanusi Lamido Sanusi (CBN) Governors Wife / Is Patience Jonathan Pregnant? (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 106
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.