Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,203 members, 7,835,997 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 07:01 PM

Why Do You Nigerian People Buy Expensive Phones? - Phones (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Why Do You Nigerian People Buy Expensive Phones? (4672 Views)

The Five Most Expensive Phones In The World / Why Do People Buy & Sell Old Social Media Accounts? / Our Once Most Expensive Phones, Now Pieces Of Scraps. How Time Flies (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do You Nigerian People Buy Expensive Phones? by Elxandre(m): 12:34am On Feb 13, 2023
EbenezerTriumph:
I worked in a hotel during the ASUU strike bro all the waitresses and cleaners are all holding at least an iPhone 12.
their monthly income is nothing more than 25k.
guess what? simps do transfer 50k to these girls as weekly upkeep but when he comes around the hotel he not dey give me shingbai
Can you "offer" what they do? 🤣

2 Likes

Re: Why Do You Nigerian People Buy Expensive Phones? by smartjackie(f): 12:43am On Feb 13, 2023
Jovialjune1:

I read the body of Op opinion and my previous comment still stands

They buy it because they can afford it, what they have in their account before and after the purchase doesn't affect you and Op's existence, just cos they have nothing after buying it doesn't mean they can't have enough later, or you think rich people don't encounter tough times? Common sense should tell you that for them to be able to afford it means they once had more than enough, so look away from people's way of life if the oppression hurts you and face your existence.

I've been holding myself back not to reply to this stupid comment but I just see the need to address it. I guess you don't know what having a budget is because a reasonable person wouldn't be talking the way you just did.

The OP was clearly asking a question on how people could afford such luxurious gadgets like iPhones while they had little to nothing in their bank accounts. And in your comment you stated that just because they have nothing after buying something doesn't mean that they won't have something later.

Now you are clearly missing the point here. That's not how the world works. Things come up. You don't base everything on luck. The OP wasn't talking about rich people.. he was talking about people with nothing to show for who feed from hand to mouth. Take note!

There's a clear difference between someone that's rich and someone who's source of income doesn't match up with their expenses. If you have more than enough money then yes, nothing is holding you back from buying an iPhone but for the fact that you don't have enough.. you know you don't have enough.. but you still go ahead to buy it is clearly out of question. That is priotizong your needs over your wants.

Why would you buy an iPhone if you know you're going to run short of cash? For what reason? Most times, people that make such decisions do it just to brag and feel among. A person with responsibilities and expenses wouldn't make such a decision. What if after buying the iPhone something urgent comes up and because you don't have enough in your account you start running helter skelter.. running around for money.

I know you're going to get upset and blurt out some unreasonable words because since you entered this thread you haven't said anything reasonable. But all in all, the point I am trying to make is this: Cut your coat according to your size. If you have more than enough money then yes go ahead. But if you don't, just kukuma respect yourself.. and when you've finally made enough, you can buy it.

A word is enough for the wise. Shege full this country I dey tell you. Whatever money you have, hold it tight.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do You Nigerian People Buy Expensive Phones? by tecnolad(m): 2:46am On Feb 13, 2023
smartjackie:

I've been holding myself back not to reply to this stupid comment but I just see the need to address it. I guess you don't know what having a budget is because a reasonable person wouldn't be talking the way you just did.

The OP was clearly asking a question on how people could afford such luxurious gadgets like iPhones while they had little to nothing in their bank accounts. And in your comment you stated that just because they have nothing after buying something doesn't mean that they won't have something later.

Now you are clearly missing the point here. That's not how the world works. Things come up. You don't base everything on luck. The OP wasn't talking about rich people.. he was talking about people with nothing to show for who feed from hand to mouth. Take note!

There's a clear difference between someone that's rich and someone who's source of income doesn't match up with their expenses. If you have more than enough money then yes, nothing is holding you back from buying an iPhone but for the fact that you don't have enough.. you know you don't have enough.. but you still go ahead to buy it is clearly out of question. That is priotizong your needs over your wants.

Why would you buy an iPhone if you know you're going to run short of cash? For what reason? Most times, people that make such decisions do it just to brag and feel among. A person with responsibilities and expenses wouldn't make such a decision. What if after buying the iPhone something urgent comes up and because you don't have enough in your account you start running helter skelter.. running around for money.

I know you're going to get upset and blurt out some unreasonable words because since you entered this thread you haven't said anything reasonable. But all in all, the point I am trying to make is this: Cut your coat according to your size. If you have more than enough money then yes go ahead. But if you don't, just kukuma respect yourself.. and when you've finally made enough, you can buy it.

A word is enough for the wise. Shege full this country I dey tell you. Whatever money you have, hold it tight.

While you make some valid points, it's bold of you and OP to assume that these people can't afford the phones they use because they have no money in their bank accounts.

This is the 21st century, and we've got a bazillion ways — beyond through regular FIATs — to save money. We've got a ton cryptocurrencies, for example, and they're a great way to save money, if you know your onions.

Our country keeps brandishing series of economic sepukku in form of policies – that has made our currency's value laughable. Holding just USDT, your savings could grow to having reasonable values with which you can buy whatever but not have money in your local bank account.

Last year, I got the iPhone 13 Pro Max with only $100 of my own money, and some cryptocurrency knowledge. You'll be surprised how many people do stuff like this.

While I've said all of these, to some extent, I agree with you as we have some financial illiterates (some yahoo boys and small girls with big gods).

About your last paragraph, them no dey tell person grin grin
Re: Why Do You Nigerian People Buy Expensive Phones? by Nobody: 6:01am On Feb 13, 2023
smartjackie:

You are actually a stupid person with a stupid comment bold enough to say because people don't have enough in their account means they shouldn't buy what they want

Money is useless if it doesn't give you satisfaction and happiness

It is unreasonable people like you that feel having a huge amount in their account makes them rich and sensible, typical backward black mentality

Let everyone indulge in whatever makes them happy cos in the end that's the value of money.....to give satisfaction,

If your satisfaction comes from depriving yourself basic luxuries of life because you want to be addressed according to what sleeps in your account, that's your business, if others prefer to buy beautiful expensive things because it makes them happy and satisfied regardless of what they have in their account, they are also allowed to do so, thankfully you can't dictate what others do with their money whether they have it in abundance or not

That urge that made you comment and feel you have an opinion on how people chose to live their life is borne out of envy, oppression, low self esteem and inferiority complex, it doesn't concern you or add to your existence and purpose in life.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do You Nigerian People Buy Expensive Phones? by Rickmann: 8:43am On Feb 13, 2023
Braintaf23:
I can bet anything that the average Nigerian youth now has at least an iPhone worth over 200,000 to 1 million naira, and most of these people don’t have money in their bank account. They have no job, they have no car or house or any tangible source of income but you see them with extremely expensive phones.

First I’m curious how do you people even afford these phones?

Secondly why will you choose to hold a 600k phone in your hand and have less than 50k in your account after?

Do you truly feel happy about that?

I’m not judging sincerely I’m only curious, why is this so common that we have a youth population of people who have less than 100k in their accounts but use phones of half a million naira?

iPhones are damm expensive, the iPhone 14 alone is 1 million, the rest are from 200k to 1 million, you barely see these people with old model iPhones it’s always the latest ones, especially in Lagos.

How is this even possible in a country as poor as Nigeria?

Nigerians love to show off with the normal basic things of life and it's stupid.. Every little thing is an achievement for most people in this country and that shows the level of poverty in Nigeria.
Re: Why Do You Nigerian People Buy Expensive Phones? by Nobody: 12:18pm On Feb 13, 2023
falcon01:
Well, The thing is what You lack in life you have to compensate In materials things, maybe you come from poor miserable family, you had a pathetic life, maybe all your life youve been bullied and oppressed by people who are doing well, maybe people have been looking down on you and you feel worthless so what's the easiest way to Prove to people you are worth something? It's by attaching yourself to something of value. The Iphone is a symbol of wealth, Cars like Mercedes benz, BMW and Branded Clothings are seeing as Symbols of wealth you don't have to say hey look I am rich, I have money but these material things will speak for you. In Simple terms people use these expensive products to overcompensate for what they lack in Life, they use it as a mask to cover the fact that deep down they feel small and Insignificant and hate themselves.

I love your response very sensible

1 Like

Re: Why Do You Nigerian People Buy Expensive Phones? by Nobody: 12:23pm On Feb 13, 2023
Jovialjune1:
So many inferiority complex, -0 self esteem peeps on here, mostly coming from guys, some even had to make it a female gender thing, envious, sad lots

People use expensive phones because they LOVE to use expensive phones, and since they can afford it, they buy it,

Now why you guys are butt hurt about it beats me, people's lifestyle and what they choose to buy for themselves shouldn't affect your existence, look away if the oppression hurts you, or hustle to be in their shoes so you can afford whatever you crave for, life is not that hard.

The point is they can’t afford it. Do you know that there’s a saying that if you can’t afford to buy it three times then you can’t afford it? That single statement changed my life forever I literally went from poor to rich. Back then if I had 100k I will use 90k to buy iPhone and iPods. With 10k balance, does that mean I could afford it ? No. Now I do the opposite. If I cannot buy that item up to 9 times I don’t go fit it , I wait till I can buy it and smile knowing I have 9 times the amount I just spent left in my balance.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do You Nigerian People Buy Expensive Phones? by Nobody: 12:53pm On Feb 13, 2023
shedy03:

Point of correction, Nigeria is not poor.

Yet your government borrows everything including salt? You’re rich yet your banks have no cash to give to people for weeks? Don’t annoy me please

1 Like

Re: Why Do You Nigerian People Buy Expensive Phones? by Nobody: 12:55pm On Feb 13, 2023
Faber:
so many people in Nigeria, without jobs, are living with their parents, uncles or relatives, yet they move around with expensive iphones...open the iphones na loan app full am, is that not stupidity. The first iphone I was gifted, I sold it off and used the money to buy a pc that is very very useful to me today. I no dey joke with that pc.

Later you will become rich and the same set will come and want you to go and buy them the same iPhone

2 Likes

Re: Why Do You Nigerian People Buy Expensive Phones? by shedy03(m): 2:23pm On Feb 13, 2023
Braintaf23:

Yet your government borrows everything including salt? You’re rich yet your banks have no cash to give to people for weeks? Don’t annoy me please
Don't annoy you!
Who cares about your annoyance.
If you are not Nigerian, you won't understand Nigeria. Keep off!!!.

1 Like

Re: Why Do You Nigerian People Buy Expensive Phones? by seanwilliam(m): 2:22pm On Feb 14, 2023
Braintaf23:

The point is they can’t afford it. Do you know that there’s a saying that if you can’t afford to buy it three times then you can’t afford it? That single statement changed my life forever I literally went from poor to rich. Back then if I had 100k I will use 90k to buy iPhone and iPods. With 10k balance, does that mean I could afford it ? No. Now I do the opposite. If I cannot buy that item up to 9 times I don’t go fit it , I wait till I can buy it and smile knowing I have 9 times the amount I just spent left in my balance.

You’re taking it to the extreme. Waiting for when you can afford an item x9 before you get it means 90% of time, you might not be able to get it.
Does that mean if you want to buy a car of 5m, you must have atleast 45m before you can buy it? Or a house of 20m , u must have up to 180m ?

Something is not adding up here , except I’m missing your point .

Most time we don’t need to own X 2 of the money before we purchase some stuff, provided you can maintain it , I think you’re good to go.
E.g if you have 6m , u can buy car or 5m provided you have a job/business that can maintain the car for you . U don’t have to wait until you can afford it two times because if you do, chances are that you will never get it till you leave this world .

2 Likes

Re: Why Do You Nigerian People Buy Expensive Phones? by LalastiklaIa(m): 7:46pm On Dec 02, 2023
seanwilliam:

You’re taking it to the extreme. Waiting for when you can afford an item x9 before you get it means 90% of time, you might not be able to get it.
Does that mean if you want to buy a car of 5m, you must have atleast 45m before you can buy it? Or a house of 20m , u must have up to 180m ?

Something is not adding up here , except I’m missing your point .

Most time we don’t need to own X 2 of the money before we purchase some stuff, provided you can maintain it , I think you’re good to go.
E.g if you have 6m , u can buy car or 5m provided you have a job/business that can maintain the car for you . U don’t have to wait until you can afford it two times because if you do, chances are that you will never get it till you leave this world .

He heard that 9 times thing for from 50 cent and it doesn't make sense.

Bag of rice is 50k
I must have 450k before I can buy it unless no Xmas for me grin

My children School fees is 90k I must have 900k before I pay it unless they should sit at home
Re: Why Do You Nigerian People Buy Expensive Phones? by Serenitys: 11:06pm On Dec 02, 2023
It comes down to values, i have never used a
phone i can't replace immediately multiply times in case of loss or theft..

I have never used an iPhone all my life. When i got the 13 pro max as a gift for my ex, sometimes ago she was surprised, and her reaction enabled my conclusions and judgment to her values..

How can you have a phone over 800k and then you have no reasonable business or source of income..

I have always been an andriod fan, but then personally, it believe it boils down to personal values..

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

5 Highly Exciting Things About The Airtel Network Recently / June 31st Postponement Is Fake. Whatsapp Has Ended Support For Blackberry Phones / A Smartphone With 5200mah, Fingerprint Sensor That Cost Just 23,000 Naira.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.