Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,401 members, 7,815,875 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:03 PM

This Starlink Is Expensive To Maintain - Phones (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / This Starlink Is Expensive To Maintain (7663 Views)

Starlink Is Not For The Masses But For The Incoming Surveillance State / Starlink Is Officially In Nigeria With Pricing In Naira / My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: This Starlink Is Expensive To Maintain by grandstar(m): 2:36am On Feb 16, 2023
dnapstar:

How does the virtual debit card work?

Alternatively, get the Providus Naira card.

It has a monthly limit of $1,000. However, they use the black market rate.
Re: This Starlink Is Expensive To Maintain by thelegend1(m): 3:24am On Feb 16, 2023
shortgun:

Dollar black market rate in Abuja today is between 730-745 Naira.
You will always pay higher if you are using a virtual card....

Pls who is your exchange plug biko?
Re: This Starlink Is Expensive To Maintain by AshipaEk0: 4:56am On Feb 16, 2023
Pharaohny:
Ntel still remains the only UNCAPPED DATA in Nigeria

Are you sure you know what you are talking about?

Ntel uncapped where?
🙄

3 Likes

Re: This Starlink Is Expensive To Maintain by pat077: 6:00am On Feb 16, 2023
Pharaohny:

And it'll be unlimited not just that but uncapped as well 😉😉😉🤣
can't wait for them to launch something similar
Re: This Starlink Is Expensive To Maintain by mu2sa2: 6:01am On Feb 16, 2023
seanwilliam:
4 people running WhatsApp tv will finish 1tb in a month
Even if anyone runs whatsapp tv, being an office, it can only be for a few hours in working days but never 24/7.
Re: This Starlink Is Expensive To Maintain by Cutehector(m): 7:05am On Feb 16, 2023
Speak for yourself..
Re: This Starlink Is Expensive To Maintain by Pharaohny: 7:27am On Feb 16, 2023
AshipaEk0:

Are you sure you know what you are talking about?

Ntel uncapped where?
🙄

Yeah the only UNCAPPED

1 Like

Re: This Starlink Is Expensive To Maintain by stanvesco(m): 7:42am On Feb 16, 2023
Kemizie:
Wow ... What an update, please do and start na

Shaaa, incase if you are interested in Normalizing your High BP without drugs in less than 90 days ... Look no more because, I get sure plug!!

All you have to do is to check out my signature to learn more
Hello
Re: This Starlink Is Expensive To Maintain by seankafor(m): 9:25am On Feb 16, 2023
Op never mentioned the that it can not be powered by ordinary power bank incase of power failure

You have to buy an inverter for it ora big power bank like the romoss r300

Which is quite costly on its own

2 Likes

Re: This Starlink Is Expensive To Maintain by Kemizie(f): 10:36am On Feb 16, 2023
stanvesco:

Hello

Hi
Re: This Starlink Is Expensive To Maintain by bigbauer(m): 1:02pm On Feb 16, 2023
HitRun:

The reason for the cap is to ensure it remains a residential plan. No matter how many devices or how heavy you use it, one house can never exceed the 1TB threshold in a month.

As a matter of principle, I tend to avoid blanket statements (generalisations). You don't know what each household usage could be. There are homes with Ip cameras, smart doorbells, smart homes, tv, refrigerators etc. Personally we use about 600gb monthly at home, that's because we are being very frugal with data.

I was expecting and hoping that Starlinks would be uncapped, I must say that it's disappointing.

4 Likes

Re: This Starlink Is Expensive To Maintain by HitRun(m): 2:53pm On Feb 16, 2023
bigbauer:

As a matter of principle, I tend to avoid blanket statements (generalisations). You don't know what each household usage could be. There are homes with Ip cameras, smart doorbells, smart homes, tv, refrigerators etc. Personally we use about 600gb monthly at home, that's because we are being very frugal with data.

I was expecting and hoping that Starlinks would be uncapped, I must say that it's disappointing.
there is nothing like uncapped anywhere? Cap is important because that is what is used to differentiate a residential plan from a commercial plan. Having used such systems heavily for over three years, I put it to you that residential usage can never exceed 1TB smart home or not.
Re: This Starlink Is Expensive To Maintain by Avatar(m): 4:11pm On Feb 16, 2023
thebosstrevor1:
The average Nigerian can't afford Starlink, Just stick to your MTN, GLO, or whatever you have

The cost of buying the equipment is $600 and $60 for delivery. you have to source dollars and use your dollar card to pay.

Few things you need to know:

1. The router is just like an access point, you can only connect to it wirelessly not through wire.

2. The standard cable that connects the Starlink device (dish) which is placed outside to the router inside is 75 feet.

So, you will also have to order Starlink Ethernet Adapter to connect it through the wire and also order a 150ft cable if the place you are setting the dish is above 75f btw, Starlink ethernet adapter is $25., and a 150ft replacement cable is about $32

monthly subscription for starlinks RESIDENTIAL plan is $43 which is about 31949 naira monthly

So literally I have to source dollars every month on the black market to subscribe to Starlink. Imagine if the dollar goes up, that means i have to pay more to sub. Also it is not unlimited internet, it is capped at 1TB

if you are on the residential plan, you can never pause payment. Starlink will always charge your dollar card every month whether you use it or not, the only way to stop them from charging is if you cancel their service

Not sure if location applies here, but i didn't pay for delivery. Total cost to get here was about $588 {including shipping}. Starlink isn't for everyone. Never was. it has always been pricey. I feel people need to look into this first and see if it's something they can afford, if not, just ignore it and use any ISP of choice. For me, i don't mind paying for this. We're talking of fast and stable internet here with no Geographic barrier. I pay about 47k for an internet service @40mbps. It's very unstable and it ruins my calls when working. So this is like heaven for me, as it costs less {monthly subscription wise}.

Summary ~ if you can't afford it, just don't bother buying, no point at all. It's not for everybody.

6 Likes

Re: This Starlink Is Expensive To Maintain by dustmalik: 4:29pm On Feb 16, 2023
grandstar:

Alternatively, get the Providus Naira card.

It has a monthly limit of $1,000. However, they use the black market rate.
Is it the Providus Classic Naira Mastercard or the Platinum Mastercard? And please, what's their current exchange rate?
Re: This Starlink Is Expensive To Maintain by grandstar(m): 5:12pm On Feb 16, 2023
dustmalik:

Is it the Providus Classic Naira Mastercard or the Platinum Mastercard? And please, what's their current exchange rate?

Normal Providus Naira Mastercard.

Just request for it. You'll get it within minutes.
Re: This Starlink Is Expensive To Maintain by dustmalik: 5:21pm On Feb 16, 2023
grandstar:

Thank you 🙏
Re: This Starlink Is Expensive To Maintain by dustmalik: 7:04pm On Feb 16, 2023
grandstar:

So I contacted them on Twitter, enquiring about their current exchange rate, and they called to inform me that it's N765 to $1, which is very high compared to some virtual card providers I use.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: This Starlink Is Expensive To Maintain by Nobody: 11:43pm On Feb 17, 2023
I don’t know where all this data cap fuzz is coming from. Let me clarify this for those who care to know.

Starlink as of today has no data cap, it’s planned to begin in April and will only be effective in USA and Canada only. No where else! I guess they have reached a point of saturation.

This data cap is not hard capped, your speed will not be throttled to a specific point. What Starlink plans to introduce is deprioritizing. It works buy shifting priority to users who haven’t hit the 1TB threshold yet, so your request will be processed after theirs.

Deprioritizing is dependent on how many Starlink users are within your area. If your area have low number of users you won’t notice any difference if you are deprioritized. So those saying it’s capped at 1TB please get your facts right.

5 Likes

Re: This Starlink Is Expensive To Maintain by odysey: 5:58pm On Feb 19, 2023
Ofemmanu1:
If it's not unlimited then fckk starlink
1T for 18k isn't bad it's 30+ unto failure of master card
Re: This Starlink Is Expensive To Maintain by dustmalik: 6:35pm On Feb 19, 2023
odysey:
1T for 18k isn't bad it's 30+ unto failure of master card
It's not 18k or 19k as it's stated on the site. It's over 32k as the payment gateway charges in dollars, which is $43. Now, convert $43 using black market exchange rate.
Re: This Starlink Is Expensive To Maintain by odysey: 7:03pm On Feb 19, 2023
dustmalik:

It's not 18k or 19k as it's stated on the site. It's over 32k as the payment gateway charges in dollars, which is $43. Now, convert $43 using black market exchange rate.

When dust settles 450/$ it'll be
Re: This Starlink Is Expensive To Maintain by Bonzojoko: 3:03am On Feb 28, 2023
I don’t know where all this data cap fuzz is coming from. Let me clarify this for those who care to know.

Starlink as of today has no data cap, it’s planned to begin in April and will only be effective in USA and Canada only. No where else! I guess they have reached a point of saturation.

This data cap is not hard capped, your speed will not be throttled to a specific point. What Starlink plans to introduce is deprioritizing. It works buy shifting priority to users who haven’t hit the 1TB threshold yet, so your request will be processed after theirs.

Deprioritizing is dependent on how many Starlink users are within your area. If your area have low number of users you won’t notice any difference if you are deprioritized. So those saying it’s capped at 1TB please get your facts right.
thanks my brother. Starlink is currently uncapped and the 1tb cap starts in April at USA and Canada alone because they are the ones experiencing network congestion due to many starlink users. It's going to be difficult for Nigeria to experience starlink network congestion because many Nigerians can't afford it. Even if there is a 1tb cap, it only means your speed will reduce whenever there is network congestion after exhausting 1tb in a month outside the 11pm-7am time period when your data usage isn't counted. After the speed reduction, you can still get up to 30mbps(3.75MB/S) which is better than what MTN offers in most regions. Starlink is basically unlimited. You will still be able to do basic internet stuff after your speed is throttled which only occurs when there is starlink network congestion (that's if Nigeria will ever have starlink network congestion)

1 Like

Re: This Starlink Is Expensive To Maintain by Lordofalmajiri(f): 4:41am On Feb 28, 2023
DaInferno:
if its not unlimited, then it's useless! I'd better stick to my 5k-40gb monthly MTN plan. But since yesterday, mtn the fkup. Can't even see that particular plan
Omo MTN 5k no dey pass 1 week for me o.. I don't download anything.. just browsing and watching YT videos sometimes m
Re: This Starlink Is Expensive To Maintain by DaInferno(m): 1:36pm On Feb 28, 2023
Lordofalmajiri:

Omo MTN 5k no dey pass 1 week for me o.. I don't download anything.. just browsing and watching YT videos sometimes m
1 week? Your phone na shark?
I browse all day, do online work on my pc each day, watch vids too. I regret finding Facebook reels, cus once I've nothing serious to do, I just watch em yet it sustains me for upto a month
Re: This Starlink Is Expensive To Maintain by Lordofalmajiri(f): 2:10pm On Feb 28, 2023
DaInferno:
I browse all day, do online work on my pc each day, watch vids too. I regret finding Facebook reels, cus once I've nothing serious to do, I just watch em yet it sustains me for upto a month
I don't know o... Omo , I probably have someone using the data with me.
Re: This Starlink Is Expensive To Maintain by pat077: 6:04am On Mar 04, 2023
DaInferno:
which of the package are u on?
Re: This Starlink Is Expensive To Maintain by DaInferno(m): 8:56am On Mar 04, 2023
pat077:
which of the package are u on?
5k-40gb
Re: This Starlink Is Expensive To Maintain by pat077: 10:02am On Mar 04, 2023
DaInferno:
5k-40gb
is this sim selective? What is the code?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Checkout My New 2go Star[2go Staff][unreach] / Glo 3GB For 1K Blocked???? / Airtel Youtube Plan Keeps Showing Expired

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.