Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,463 members, 7,816,085 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 03:35 AM

My Dry Season Maize Farming - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / My Dry Season Maize Farming (1432 Views)

My Dry Season Rice And Okra Farm (pics) / My Dry Season Watermelon Farm Getting Ready For Harvesting / All You Need To Know About Maize Farming In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Dry Season Maize Farming by Temifarmer: 10:22pm On Feb 15, 2023
Hello guys, I will be sharing my experience on Dry season maize farming. I will be sharing the advantages and the challenges.

Total area cultivated: 2 acres
Irrigation : Drip irrigation
Drip irrigation spacing: 20cm spacing , 0.2mm thickness and 2000m length per roll
Total rolls used : 4 rolls for 2 acres
Maize variety: Oba super 6
Seed rate per acre: 8kg per
No of seeds panted per hole - 1
Bed type: 1meter wide
Drip orientation: double rows

1 Like

Re: My Dry Season Maize Farming by Maryam1234(f): 10:35pm On Feb 15, 2023
Following....... kiss

1 Like

Re: My Dry Season Maize Farming by Temifarmer: 10:48pm On Feb 15, 2023
Land clearing

Re: My Dry Season Maize Farming by Temifarmer: 10:51pm On Feb 15, 2023
Manure: i used just manure and urea throughout the lifecycle of the plants and the cobs came out really big. I had 2 cobs per plant for about 90% of the plants. This is to tell you how important manure is to farming. Every crop needs it, it is mandatory

Re: My Dry Season Maize Farming by Temifarmer: 10:57pm On Feb 15, 2023
Plant Population
I used drip irrigation, I was able to calculate my plant population

On an acre, I had 10,000 drip emitters cos the drip spacing used is 20cm and the total length of a roll of drip used is 2000m. I had 10,000 plants on an acre.
Re: My Dry Season Maize Farming by Temifarmer: 11:03pm On Feb 15, 2023
NUTRITION

After making my beds, we laid the drips and started applying the manure at each point where the water drips. we scooped out some soil, pour the manure, then cover up with soil. Each plant had a base full of nutrients. Urea was also used when the plants were about 4 weeks old and reapplied when they were 6 weeks old. The fertilizer was fertigated (dissolved in water to form a solution and passed to the root of the plants via the drip channel)

Folia fertilizer: Tecamin max - Vegetative stage
Tecamin Flower: Flowering stage ( when they start forming tassels). The tassel is the flower for maize

Time for pictures cheesy

1 Like

Re: My Dry Season Maize Farming by rainmoredays: 11:05pm On Feb 15, 2023
Following
What type of manure did you use
Rabbit or chicken manure

1 Like

Re: My Dry Season Maize Farming by Temifarmer: 11:32pm On Feb 15, 2023
Land before planting. The dents on the beds are the points we applied the manure to. We sprayed herbicide and gave it sometime to work before planting.

Challenges encountered during the Land preparation and Seed sowing

1) Making beds during dry season was quite challenging as the ground was extremely hard
2) We encountered severe rat infestation. They kept digging up the seeds even as we continued replanting. They would dig up newly sprouted seeds and freshly sowed seeds
How we overcame this challenges: We bought maize seeds from the open market, mixed with Push out rodenticide, we scattered the poisoned seeds all over the farm. It served as a distraction from the hybrid seeds. We really suffered from rat infestation, tiny rats that can't be consumed but we over came
3) Growth rate of seeds was extremely slow cos of the weather. Our seeds started sprouting from like 7 days as opposed to 4-5 days during rainy season. It took forever for the plants to finally pickup and look like maize plants smiley

It was fun to experience!

1 Like

Re: My Dry Season Maize Farming by betabread: 11:43am On Feb 16, 2023
Did u make profit

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Dry Season Maize Farming by CyberHustle: 1:56pm On Feb 16, 2023
Great idea.
Re: My Dry Season Maize Farming by lereinter(m): 8:13pm On Feb 19, 2023
Temifarmer:
Manure: i used just manure and urea throughout the lifecycle of the plants and the cobs came out really big. I had 2 cobs per plant for about 90% of the plants. This is to tell you how important manure is to farming. Every crop needs it, it is mandatory

Maize is mainly 2 cobs per plant

Manure effect is not short term
Re: My Dry Season Maize Farming by lereinter(m): 8:16pm On Feb 19, 2023
Temifarmer:
Land before planting. The dents on the beds are the points we applied the manure to. We sprayed herbicide and gave it sometime to work before planting.

Challenges encountered during the Land preparation and Seed sowing

1) Making beds during dry season was quite challenging as the ground was extremely hard
2) We encountered severe rat infestation. They kept digging up the seeds even as we continued replanting. They would dig up newly sprouted seeds and freshly sowed seeds
How we overcame this challenges: We bought maize seeds from the open market, mixed with Push out rodenticide, we scattered the poisoned seeds all over the farm. It served as a distraction from the hybrid seeds. We really suffered from rat infestation, tiny rats that can't be consumed but we over came
3) Growth rate of seeds was extremely slow cos of the weather. Our seeds started sprouting from like 7 days as opposed to 4-5 days during rainy season. It took forever for the plants to finally pickup and look like maize plants smiley

It was fun to experience!

Drip irrigation system for maize oops
Re: My Dry Season Maize Farming by khalleb(m): 9:36pm On Feb 19, 2023
Please am think of a business that I can go into with the sum of 2m that can give me a sales of at least 300-400k sales in a day, selling of Grandnut oil came to mind but I don't know anything about it and is the sum of N2m ok for a start

Please I need a sincere response
THANKS
Re: My Dry Season Maize Farming by rainmoredays: 10:12pm On Feb 19, 2023
khalleb:
Please am think of a business that I can go into with the sum of 2m that can give me a sales of at least 300-400k sales in a day, selling of Grandnut oil came to mind but I don't know anything about it and is the sum of N2m ok for a start

THANKS
The business you can do with a guaranteed sale of 300k daily is petrol (filling station) bit sadly, you 2m is too small

1 Like

Re: My Dry Season Maize Farming by khalleb(m): 12:01am On Feb 20, 2023
rainmoredays:
The business you can do with a guaranteed sale of 300k daily is petrol (filling station) bit sadly, you 2m is too small
Thanks 👍
Re: My Dry Season Maize Farming by Temifarmer: 4:17pm On Feb 24, 2023
lereinter:

Drip irrigation system for maize oops

Lol, yes... The main reason i used drip is to ascertain my population but it came with a cost. I will state the advantage and disadvantages.

1 Like

Re: My Dry Season Maize Farming by Temifarmer: 4:19pm On Feb 24, 2023
lereinter:

Maize is mainly 2 cobs per plant

Manure effect is not short term

I had 3 cobs on some and 4 on some but averagely 2 large cobs
Re: My Dry Season Maize Farming by Temifarmer: 4:21pm On Feb 24, 2023
[quote author=khalleb post=121054515]Please am think of a business that I can go into with the sum of 2m that can give me a sales of at least 300-400k sales in a day, selling of Grandnut oil came to mind but I don't know anything about it and is the sum of N2m ok for a start

THANKS
[/quote

Buy products from farmers and resell in a big market
Re: My Dry Season Maize Farming by Temifarmer: 4:32pm On Feb 24, 2023
Maize plants

1 Like

Re: My Dry Season Maize Farming by Temifarmer: 4:41pm On Feb 24, 2023
Aside from rodent infestation, we had to deal with caterpillars but we employed a preventive measure. cobs came out looking super healthy and attractive

Pesticide used : DPRO insecticide
Active ingredient is Emmamectine Benzoate
I get my agroinputs from Ceda Agro in Abeokuta. She is the best supplier i can think of. This particular product was recommended by her, dosage and all

I mixed a sachet in 5 litres of water and measured out 100ml per knapsack. It was magical, there was not a single cob with caterpillar attack
Re: My Dry Season Maize Farming by Temifarmer: 4:46pm On Feb 24, 2023
More pictures

1 Like

Re: My Dry Season Maize Farming by Temifarmer: 4:51pm On Feb 24, 2023
Will post more pictures later.Thanks cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: My Dry Season Maize Farming by lereinter(m): 4:59pm On Feb 24, 2023
Temifarmer:

I had 3 cobs on some and 4 on some but averagely 2 large cobs

Wow

I have never seen 4
Re: My Dry Season Maize Farming by lereinter(m): 5:01pm On Feb 24, 2023
Temifarmer:

Lol, yes... The main reason i used drip is to ascertain my population but it came with a cost. I will state the advantage and disadvantages.

At iita they use overhead sprinkler
Re: My Dry Season Maize Farming by Earthstorms(m): 12:39am On Oct 06, 2023
Temifarmer:
Aside from rodent infestation, we had to deal with caterpillars but we employed a preventive measure. cobs came out looking super healthy and attractive

Pesticide used : DPRO insecticide
Active ingredient is Emmamectine Benzoate
I get my agroinputs from Ceda Agro in Abeokuta. She is the best supplier i can think of. This particular product was recommended by her, dosage and all

I mixed a sachet in 5 litres of water and measured out 100ml per knapsack. It was magical, there was not a single cob with caterpillar attack

Nice info
Re: My Dry Season Maize Farming by Jonnic1(m): 6:02pm On Oct 12, 2023
This is highly inspiring. I have learned a lot. I am a maize farmer too around Keffi, Nasarawa state. I will definitely take manure much more seriously now.
Re: My Dry Season Maize Farming by rhef(m): 6:16am On Oct 14, 2023
Please where's your location? I need farmland ooo
Re: My Dry Season Maize Farming by 1TrippleCee: 11:20am On Dec 01, 2023
You didnt complete the idea o
Re: My Dry Season Maize Farming by BUIKEVINA: 2:55am On Feb 20
Oh, thank you for this encouraging thread. What kind of manure did you use, sir?

(1) (Reply)

I Need 1000 Capacity Poultry Pens For Rent In Ibadan. / A Must Psychological Attitude To Change Before Successful Farming Business. / Mushroom Spawn

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.