Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,580 members, 7,812,895 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 09:31 PM

All You Need To Know About Maize Farming In Nigeria - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / All You Need To Know About Maize Farming In Nigeria (22287 Views)

My Dry Season Maize Farming / Let’s Talk About Maize! / Profitability Of Pig Farming In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

All You Need To Know About Maize Farming In Nigeria by JeAgro477(m): 10:30pm On Mar 17, 2021
The first mistake of most maize farmers is not knowing the right planting distance.If you are among those who presume maize require a lot of space between holes your expected yield will always be low.

This is because the plant population required for high yield will not be achieved. Always plant at distance of 25cm (at most 30cm) between holes and 75cm (at most 90cm) between rows with this plant population of over 55000 holes per hecter is required for best yield.

Using tractor mounted planters or manual planter is recommended.

However in their absence the use of ropes and carefully placed black paint at the right distance is also an option

21 Likes 5 Shares

Re: All You Need To Know About Maize Farming In Nigeria by budaatum: 10:43pm On Mar 17, 2021
Looks like one seed per hole too and not 3, 4, most plant.

3 Likes

Re: All You Need To Know About Maize Farming In Nigeria by JeAgro477(m): 11:00pm On Mar 17, 2021
How to achieve GAP in maize obtain good and reliable hybrid variety seed the right way plant the right way the right spacing Apply DAP or npk as basa or at 2weeks Ensure a weed free farm scout for pests and disease eliminate Apply organic fertilizer Apply urea at tasseling stage

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: All You Need To Know About Maize Farming In Nigeria by JeAgro477(m): 11:09pm On Mar 17, 2021
Listen to me very careful especially those of you that has interest in farming
Understand what is crop spectrum and weed spectrum

Understanding crop spectrum will enable farmer comprehend the type of post emergence herbicide to apply to certain crops.

Similarly understanding weed spectrum enable farmers to know the types of weeds in their farms and ultimately the right herbicide to apply.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: All You Need To Know About Maize Farming In Nigeria by JeAgro477(m): 11:18pm On Mar 17, 2021
Please be informed that selective post emergence herbicides hardly kill ALL types of weeds only non selective herbicide can do that.

As a result of this understanding crop and weed spectrum is a must.

Applying non selective herbicide to your crops will be a costly mistake.
In the same manner applying non selective herbicide to certain crops will be fruitless.
Knowledge of crop and weed spectrum will guarantee good results.

7 Likes 4 Shares

Re: All You Need To Know About Maize Farming In Nigeria by JeAgro477(m): 11:20pm On Mar 17, 2021
Farmers are encouraged to update their skills regularly in order not to be left behind in the modern techniques of farming

3 Likes

Re: All You Need To Know About Maize Farming In Nigeria by JeAgro477(m): 11:31pm On Mar 17, 2021
Some of the greatest challenges encountered by maize farmers recently is poor weed management and fall Amy worm � ��.

Good News is that science has brought a solution to the two stated challenges above.

Weed management is no longer an issue with LAGON herbicide lagon is a herbicide that is designed specially by Bayern company for control of weed in maize and cassava farm I've used this product this is a herbicide that keeps weeds away from farm for a period of ten weeks

7 Likes 4 Shares

Re: All You Need To Know About Maize Farming In Nigeria by JeAgro477(m): 11:37pm On Mar 17, 2021
And with caterpillar force fall Amy worm ����� is not an issue a sachet costs about 500 to 1500 naira depending on the size and location and a sachet can spray an acre/hectare depending on the size please do note that these worms are capable of destroying tons of hectares of maize farms if ignored

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: All You Need To Know About Maize Farming In Nigeria by JeAgro477(m): 11:39pm On Mar 17, 2021
Before I continue I'll like to know if anyone is learning

29 Likes 2 Shares

Re: All You Need To Know About Maize Farming In Nigeria by JeAgro477(m): 11:58pm On Mar 17, 2021
JeAgro477:
Some of the greatest challenges encountered by maize farmers recently is poor weed management and fall Amy worm � ��.

Good News is that science has brought a solution to the two stated challenges above.

Weed management is no longer an issue with LAGON herbicide lagon is a herbicide that is designed specially by Bayern company for control of weed in maize and cassava farm I've used this product this is a herbicide that keeps weeds away from farm for a period of ten weeks
Re: All You Need To Know About Maize Farming In Nigeria by JeAgro477(m): 12:00am On Mar 18, 2021
[quote author=JeAgro477 post=99974000][/quote] this is lagon herbicide
Re: All You Need To Know About Maize Farming In Nigeria by JeAgro477(m): 12:02am On Mar 18, 2021
Re: All You Need To Know About Maize Farming In Nigeria by peacealways: 5:38am On Mar 18, 2021
JeAgro477:
following

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: All You Need To Know About Maize Farming In Nigeria by willybaby(m): 11:03am On Mar 18, 2021
JeAgro477:

Lagon is quite effective but it's too expensive, a bottle I was told when I made enquiries goes for 4200 and 4 bottles is needed for an heactre #JeAgro477 any alternative to Lagon

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: All You Need To Know About Maize Farming In Nigeria by budaatum: 11:09am On Mar 18, 2021
JeAgro477:

I am learning! De teach de go please. People will come and learn even long after you are done teaching.

23 Likes

Re: All You Need To Know About Maize Farming In Nigeria by budaatum: 11:12am On Mar 18, 2021
JeAgro477:
this is lagon herbicide

Is this it, Sir?

Re: All You Need To Know About Maize Farming In Nigeria by LegitPlug: 11:18am On Mar 18, 2021
JeAgro477:

Ride on
Re: All You Need To Know About Maize Farming In Nigeria by descarado: 11:27am On Mar 18, 2021
Was planting maize in one plot of land not long ago and you need to see the maize farm. Didn't do anything except weeding like twice. Once harvested, will share among friends.
I love farming.

Now, I planted small maize at my backyard and everything was fine until maturity, they all started changing colour to yellow.

Can you tell me what caused that please?
Somebody said I planted at the wrong season. Close to winter. No sun and strong cold wind.

Used manure I saw at the farm stall. The soil is humus kind of.
Want to plant again this yr.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: All You Need To Know About Maize Farming In Nigeria by JeAgro477(m): 12:29pm On Mar 18, 2021
willybaby:
Lagon is quite effective but it's too expensive, a bottle I was told when I made enquiries goes for 4200 and 4 bottles is needed for an heactre #JeAgro477 any alternative to Lagon
I sell mine at the rate of 3k if you are buying up to a carton i sell at 2500 per bottle

1 Like

Re: All You Need To Know About Maize Farming In Nigeria by JeAgro477(m): 1:04pm On Mar 18, 2021
descarado:
Was planting maize in one plot of land not long ago and you need to see the maize farm. Didn't do anything except weeding like twice. Once harvested, will share among friends.
I love farming.

Now, I planted small maize at my backyard and everything was fine until maturity, they all started changing colour to yellow.

Can you tell me what caused that please?
Somebody said I planted at the wrong season. Close to winter. No sun and strong cold wind.

Used manure I saw at the farm stall. The soil is humus kind of.
Want to plant again this yr.
yellowing of maize leaves simplify that there is no nitrogen content in the soil this can be corrected by applying a fertilizer with high nitrogen content e.g npk also note that cold and wet soils also encourages yellowing of maize leaves when soils are cold and wet plants have troubles with absorbing nitrogen content from the soil

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: All You Need To Know About Maize Farming In Nigeria by Gentlensmart: 1:13pm On Mar 18, 2021
JeAgro477:
The first mistake of most maize farmers is not knowing the right planting distance.If you are among those who presume maize require a lot of space between holes your expected yield will always be low.This is because the plant population required for high yield will not be achieved. Always plant at distance of 25cm (at most 30cm) between holes and 75cm (at most 90cm) between rows with this plant population of over 55000 holes per hecter is required for best yield.Using tractor mounted planters or manual planter is recommended.However in their absence the use of ropes and carefully placed black paint at the right distance is also an option

I’m been managing a maize farm for years with my cousin and all I can say is what you said is true.

1 Like

Re: All You Need To Know About Maize Farming In Nigeria by descarado: 1:28pm On Mar 18, 2021
JeAgro477:
yellowing of maize leaves simplify that there is no nitrogen content in the soil this can be corrected by applying a fertilizer with high nitrogen content e.g npk also note that cold and wet soils also encourages yellowing of maize leaves when soils are cold and wet plants have troubles with absorbing nitrogen content from the soil
Thank you!
Re: All You Need To Know About Maize Farming In Nigeria by JeAgro477(m): 2:01pm On Mar 18, 2021
budaatum:

Is this it, Sir?
yes

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: All You Need To Know About Maize Farming In Nigeria by JeAgro477(m): 9:56pm On Mar 18, 2021
majority of most maize farmers including the so called big time farmers are guilty of this long season maize variety mid season varieties or at the off set.
some farmers tend to plant early season or medium season varieties early or at the off set of wet season.
Not knowing which and when to plant will always present problems.

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: All You Need To Know About Maize Farming In Nigeria by JeAgro477(m): 10:00pm On Mar 18, 2021
If you want to plant maize at the onset (beginning) of wet season go for long season varieties.
If you want to plant mid season go for medium varieties when planting late go for short term varieties.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: All You Need To Know About Maize Farming In Nigeria by JeAgro477(m): 10:08pm On Mar 18, 2021
One of the most common problem of most maize farmers is planting short season varieties early and harvesting at the peak of rain problems associated with drying becomes a problem.Note: farmers with means of drying and storing their harvests can plant short term varieties twice or even thrice

Call or WhatsApp me on 09055879985 for consultancy on the best maize seeds to plant and the best time to plant

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: All You Need To Know About Maize Farming In Nigeria by Jonnic1(m): 2:49pm On Mar 19, 2021
Thank you so much for this eye opening exposition. We are following and learning. Keep it coming

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: All You Need To Know About Maize Farming In Nigeria by JeAgro477(m): 9:20pm On Mar 20, 2021
in continuation of GAP in maize I'll briefly dwell on an important aspect that is ignored by even the most advanced maize farmers.This is the aspect of searching for and eliminating pests and diseases otherwise known as scouting.
After corn emerges consistent scouting which includes sampling and insects identification is the best way to know what pests are in the field and whether or not they will threaten yields and profits.
Different corn pests appear at different times problem infestation areas may be related to soil conditions.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: All You Need To Know About Maize Farming In Nigeria by JeAgro477(m): 9:31pm On Mar 20, 2021
If only one side of a field show insect problem it may be related to an invasion from a field border keep in mind that in corn fields problem areas with sharply defined edges could be a sign of insect damage or they may be the result of nematode or herbicide injury.
For general scouting start at a different point every week pick a random pattern in advance and walk without consciously choosing good or bad areas.
Sample after regular intervals every 20 steps or so walk to within 30 feet of each field as many problems starts from the sides of the field

1 Like 1 Share

Re: All You Need To Know About Maize Farming In Nigeria by Intendy: 11:19pm On Mar 20, 2021
@JeAgro477 , thanks for this thread. what is d quantity of lagon per 16 or 20 litres knapsack , and can it be mixed with systemic herbicide like vinash (glyphosate based)

1 Like 1 Share

Re: All You Need To Know About Maize Farming In Nigeria by budaatum: 12:30am On Mar 21, 2021
JeAgro477:
One of the most common problem of most maize farmers is planting short season varieties early and harvesting at the peak of rain problems associated with drying becomes a problem.Note: farmers with means of drying and storing their harvests can plant short term varieties twice or even thrice

Call or WhatsApp me on 09055879985 for consultancy on the best maize seeds to plant and the best time to plant

Maize get short and mid season varieties. See as I stupid olodo reach for not even imagining it would and how easily this makes sense!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

(market More) Cucumber Seed Performance / My Harvested Cucumber / Akwa Ibom To Import 2,000 Pregnant Cattle From Mexico

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.