Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,577 members, 7,816,425 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:04 AM

US. Most Armed Country 90 Guns Per 100 People, Nigeria 1 Gun Per 100 People - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / US. Most Armed Country 90 Guns Per 100 People, Nigeria 1 Gun Per 100 People (3863 Views)

Boko Haram Burned Children Alive In Bornu; Over 100 People Killed / Breaking News: Explosion Rocks Lagos State- 100 People Comfirmed Dead. / In The Court Of The People- Nigeria's Leaders Indicted: A Protest Song (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: US. Most Armed Country 90 Guns Per 100 People, Nigeria 1 Gun Per 100 People by texazzpete(m): 2:29pm On May 31, 2008
Pennywise:

I am sorry to say but this deduction sounds a wee bit fraudulent. The lower life expectancy in Nigeria has nothing to do with higher gun related deaths. A distinction that has been a preserve of the US for the past century.

Fraudulent?

I made no attempt to tie anything to the number of Gun related deaths. All i've spoken about is the life expectancy (average). In simple terms, you're more likely to live to a ripe old age in the US than in Nigeria.

http://geography.about.com/library/weekly/aa042000b.htm (2000)
Nigeria 51.6
US: 77.1

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_life_expectancy (2007)
Nigeria: 47.44
US: 78.2

More Sources
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/08/12/AR2007081200113.html

http://www.os-connect.com/pop/p1.htm
Re: US. Most Armed Country 90 Guns Per 100 People, Nigeria 1 Gun Per 100 People by Kobojunkie: 2:35pm On May 31, 2008
Oh my Gosh!!!! I actually agree with Afam on this one. Insted of posting insults, he actually posted an excellent idea on how to deal with the situation in Nigeria. PRAISE THE LORD. We have a miracle on our hands today!! Now, I will wait to see how far it will stretch for. shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: US. Most Armed Country 90 Guns Per 100 People, Nigeria 1 Gun Per 100 People by Pennywise(m): 2:49pm On May 31, 2008
texazzpete:

Fraudulent?

I made no attempt to tie anything to the number of Gun related deaths. All i've spoken about is the life expectancy (average). In simple terms, you're more likely to live to a ripe old age in the US than in Nigeria.

http://geography.about.com/library/weekly/aa042000b.htm (2000)
Nigeria 51.6
US: 77.1

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_life_expectancy (2007)
Nigeria: 47.44
US: 78.2

More Sources
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/08/12/AR2007081200113.html

http://www.os-connect.com/pop/p1.htm

Statistics was never in doubt. And as a Nigerian living in Nigeria, believe me its depressing. No offence meant. Thought you were trying to stretch logic a little bit.
Re: US. Most Armed Country 90 Guns Per 100 People, Nigeria 1 Gun Per 100 People by zillaxy: 2:57pm On May 31, 2008
1 gun per thousand should be what we strive for.

disarm the extremely irresponsible group of crooks called the police, and our troubles will be sorted.
Re: US. Most Armed Country 90 Guns Per 100 People, Nigeria 1 Gun Per 100 People by 4Him1(m): 3:04pm On May 31, 2008
zillaxy:

disarm the extremely irresponsible group of crooks called the police, and our troubles will be sorted.

what a very silly idea. The police at present is ill-equiped to battle crime and you want to disarm them so robbers can now have a field day?
The real irresponsible crooks are those ur brothers in power who loot the nation and leave the police poor and unable to do their jobs because they cant get fuel to run their cars, bullets to arm their weapons and enough salary to boost flagging morale.
Re: US. Most Armed Country 90 Guns Per 100 People, Nigeria 1 Gun Per 100 People by RThESlyR: 3:26pm On May 31, 2008
zillaxy:

disarm the extremely[b] irresponsible group of crooks called the police, and our troubles will be sorted.[/b]
What a shitload of bunkums!!!!
Ok then when they have been disarmed. . . .they would be using your teeth to combat robbers right?
Re: US. Most Armed Country 90 Guns Per 100 People, Nigeria 1 Gun Per 100 People by savanaha: 3:30pm On May 31, 2008
I think people who run the risk of being constantly attacked or have been constantly attacked should possess their own guns. If an armed robber comes to the house then blast them to hell in the name of Jesus while using a gun.
Re: US. Most Armed Country 90 Guns Per 100 People, Nigeria 1 Gun Per 100 People by rikkyjen(m): 9:39pm On May 31, 2008
This thing reminds me of what the Late FELA said. Fela once said that if he became the President of Nigeria, he would instruct everybody to own guns and batons, so that a Policeman or a Soldier would think twice before pulling the trigger to do "shakara" or whatnot grin grin

However, i think Fela on his own just said this to rebel against the govt for being anti-people. On the flip side, it makes no sense. If you arm everybody, then expect people to get trigger erections and become trigger happy. Though Afam has a point surprisingly. Armed robbers who know resident with guns in their houses in Nigeria dare not do shakara.

When i was in Naija, when theives were robbing an adjacent neighborhood, a certain man with a double barrel often comes out shooting and doing his thing to scre off the bandits. Guess what? in return the theives usually scream "Mr Terry, we no dey come meet you ooo! When you see us for ur street? We get our customers for here oo,so keep ya gun! We no dey come meet you ooo."! Armed robber no ready to die grin grin

Funny enough, as long as Mr Terry lived in that street, there was no single case of Armed robbery! Alas, the week Mr Terry packed out, 'em Bandits use vexation bombard that street carting away millions like crazy cos 'em Mr Terry's neighbours had been used to American-like safety. It shocked them. grin grin grin

The morals of all this is that Armed robber in Naija sef no wan die! If they know you have gunz in ur neighbour, them no go near you!!
Re: US. Most Armed Country 90 Guns Per 100 People, Nigeria 1 Gun Per 100 People by zillaxy: 5:40pm On Jun 01, 2008
4 Him:

what a very silly idea. The police at present is ill-equiped to battle crime and you want to disarm them so robbers can now have a field day?
The real irresponsible crooks are those your brothers in power who loot the nation and leave the police poor and unable to do their jobs because they can't get fuel to run their cars, bullets to arm their weapons and enough salary to boost flagging morale.
®Th£ Sly®:

What a shitload of bunkums!!!!
Ok then when they have been disarmed. . . .they would be using your teeth to combat robbers right?

oh please! how many times do i have to tell the 'american wonders' to shut their mouths when people who ACTUALLY live in Nigeria talk.
unlike you, i talk from experience. it would be great if u could do the same.

i have been in a bus park when a police officer killed two people. the first guy for not handing over his marijuana, the second for daring to protest.
my darling aunt was robbed, the next day she went to the station to report it (she's the only person in nigeria i know who has ever done such a silly, useless act) and guess who was an officer there? the leader of the pack.
how many times in Nigeria have people been killed by the police for nothin? not too long ago in Abuja six Igbo kids (early twenties) got massacred by the police coz a girl in the group didnt want anythin to do with a senior officer (he asked her 'out' i.e wanted to have a sexual relationship with her).

almost everytime i travel within the country, the police stop me for the 'dash' i'm supposed to have ready for them. i wont comply but for the fact my driver once had a gun pointed in his face. the stories are uncountable. even during the riots in Kaduna, the police would come to houses just after the riots and arrest boys only to send word for their parents to pick the dead body! lets not forget all the atrocities committed when the police get sent to 'calm' a situation down in towns in central Nigeria.

how dare u start to lecture me about police in MY country?

nobody is saying morale is not low, and i pray to God that is tackled but until that happens do not give despirados guns! coz guess what? with no system to monitor or check bad behaviour this is precisely what u get. innocent nigerians killed by power drunk savages!

the UK, and almost all European countries have special units who are armed but the average policeman does not have a gun. they are much safer countries and the crimes generally get solved. obj stupidity in arming officers allowing them to intimidate, commit crimes or sell their guns to criminals is of concern to alot of NIGERIAN. but seeing as u are not one i dont expect u to understand what we are going through in my country.

noicemaker o~shi!
Re: US. Most Armed Country 90 Guns Per 100 People, Nigeria 1 Gun Per 100 People by ifyalways(f): 6:29pm On Jun 01, 2008
toshmann:

arm everybody, armed robbery will collapse. . . . . . .fine.

arm everybody, violence will rise. armed robbery will go down but people will kill for the minutest reasons.
a woman will cheat her husband and he gets annoyed and gbam!!!!!!!!! e don happen.
a student will fail an exam 2 times and he'll go to the lecturer and threaten him. he fails again and gbam!!!!!!!!!!!e don happen.
2 touts de fight for motor park and gbam!!!!!!!!!!!e don happen.
two students quarrel over a girlfriend and gbam!!!!!!!!!!!!!e don happen.
police go do their work and in the process annoy a group of university students then police officers go begin disappear one by one.
judge go try case for court come give judgement against someone and then gbam!!!!!!!!!!!!!e don happen. while armed robbery goes down, violence will rise. imagine university riot where students carry arms. hehehe

una forget say naija no even get common cctv to monitor security in case of any event
So true ! ! !
Re: US. Most Armed Country 90 Guns Per 100 People, Nigeria 1 Gun Per 100 People by zillaxy: 7:45pm On Jun 01, 2008
toshmann:

arm everybody, armed robbery will collapse. . . . . . .fine.

arm everybody, violence will rise. armed robbery will go down but people will kill for the minutest reasons.
a woman will cheat her husband and he gets annoyed and gbam!!!!!!!!! e don happen.
a student will fail an exam 2 times and he'll go to the lecturer and threaten him. he fails again and gbam!!!!!!!!!!!e don happen.
2 touts de fight for motor park and gbam!!!!!!!!!!!e don happen.
two students quarrel over a girlfriend and gbam!!!!!!!!!!!!!e don happen.
police go do their work and in the process annoy a group of university students then police officers go begin disappear one by one.
judge go try case for court come give judgement against someone and then gbam!!!!!!!!!!!!!e don happen. while armed robbery goes down, violence will rise. imagine university riot where students carry arms. hehehe
una forget say naija no even get common cctv to monitor security in case of any event

Ditto.
Toshmann and Ify i so agree with u guys, this is the point so many fail to understand. guns DO NOT make people safer.
Re: US. Most Armed Country 90 Guns Per 100 People, Nigeria 1 Gun Per 100 People by Arielle: 11:17pm On Jun 01, 2008
Ideally, it sounds great and cogent reasons have been put forward to justify this. I would welcome it. I have thankfully never experienced an armed robbery attack but I would imagine that the worst feeling would be the utter helplessness, just waiting your turn as the rampaging marauders make their way closer and closer to your home and defenceless family.
But can this work in our environment, given the highly volatile nature of Nigerians (no doubt aggravated by economic hardship and general hopelessness), the total absence of the necessary deterrent in the form of legal, enforceable actions, to check wanton use of weapons to settle disputes, the innate corruption that has bedeviled every aspect of Nigerian society, governance and law enforcement in particular.
Owning a gun comes with a huge amount of responsibility and maturity. Is the Nigerian society truly ready for this? Sure, we can get there. But without the necessary checks put in place before such a law is promulgated, the road getting there will be long and bloody.
Re: US. Most Armed Country 90 Guns Per 100 People, Nigeria 1 Gun Per 100 People by SkyBlue1: 11:41pm On Jun 01, 2008
savanaha:

I think people who run the risk of being constantly attacked or have been constantly attacked should possess their own guns. If an armed robber comes to the house then blast them to hell in the name of Jesus while using a gun.
LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL. grin
Re: US. Most Armed Country 90 Guns Per 100 People, Nigeria 1 Gun Per 100 People by texazzpete(m): 8:02am On Jun 02, 2008
@zillaxy
Righteous indignation is no substitute for common sense. i also live in Nigeria, and i can tell you what every Nigerian over three years old (apart from you) knows; The police are often crooked, true, but their presence there prevents total anarchy from happening.
Re: US. Most Armed Country 90 Guns Per 100 People, Nigeria 1 Gun Per 100 People by zillaxy: 5:11pm On Jun 02, 2008
texazzpete:

@zillaxy
Righteous indignation is no substitute for common sense. i also live in Nigeria, and i can tell you what every Nigerian over three years old (apart from you) knows; The police are often crooked, true, but their presence there prevents total anarchy from happening.

they cause the anarchy where i'm from.
maybe ur from the niger-delta (or other the war zones) because in other places they are the root of the trouble.

or maybe age just isn't a good mark of common sense? (surely even 4 yr olds know that.)
Re: US. Most Armed Country 90 Guns Per 100 People, Nigeria 1 Gun Per 100 People by dudubobo1: 7:21pm On Jun 02, 2008
Tchinasa**:

No wonder one country is progressing and the other is regressing. Spot the difference please! kiss

I dont see how Britain is regressing any more than America.
Britain is trying hard to ensure that people dont carry weapons because many youngsters with weapons claim it is for fear of attacks. Imagine saying that everyone should be allowed a gun/knife because they might get a attacked
Re: US. Most Armed Country 90 Guns Per 100 People, Nigeria 1 Gun Per 100 People by Spermdrops(m): 7:46pm On Jun 02, 2008
dudu-bobo:

I don't see how Britain is regressing any more than America.
Britain is trying hard to ensure that people don't carry weapons because many youngsters with weapons claim it is for fear of attacks. Imagine saying that everyone should be allowed a gun/knife because they might get a attacked

I say common shut the phock up or down! Why are you following me around? You slowpoke! If people carried guns in Nigeira like in the US, I would gladly shoot your whole village in total annihilation.

For the last time stay away from my posts!
Re: US. Most Armed Country 90 Guns Per 100 People, Nigeria 1 Gun Per 100 People by oldie(m): 10:58pm On Jun 02, 2008
You can shoot the stalker!
One other reason to own a gun grin
Re: US. Most Armed Country 90 Guns Per 100 People, Nigeria 1 Gun Per 100 People by dudubobo1: 11:28am On Jun 03, 2008
Spermdrops:

I say common shut the phock up or down! Why are you following me around? You slowpoke! If people carried guns in Nigeira like in the US, I would gladly shoot your whole village in total annihilation.

For the last time stay away from my posts!

you really do need help.

Did someone recommend that your life's frustrations should be taken out on Nigerians online?

If you have any known relatives, they need to seek help on your behalf because you have already gone round the bend
Re: US. Most Armed Country 90 Guns Per 100 People, Nigeria 1 Gun Per 100 People by Xiomarra: 7:34pm On Jun 03, 2008
dudu-bobo:

you really do need help.

Did someone recommend that your life's frustrations should be taken out on Nigerians online?

If you have any known relatives, they need to seek help on your behalf because you have already gone round the bend

Oh please get lost and get over your crush. Tired of seeing your ugly screen name on Nairaland!

Get a life and a new set of shit brains while you are on your knees praying tonight!

You call yourself a Nigerian!

You idiot!
Re: US. Most Armed Country 90 Guns Per 100 People, Nigeria 1 Gun Per 100 People by ifyalways(f): 3:04pm On Jun 04, 2008
call me "xio" lol i just cant get over that cheesy cheesy cheesy
lol NL fun all da way !

(1) (2) (Reply)

Femi Gbajabiamila Politely Turns Down Offer Of Deputy From Speaker From Dogara / PHOTO-Rejected By Buhari: Tony Elumelu Shines Internationally / Muslim Man Let Daughter Drown Rather Than Have Strange Men Touch And Save Her.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.