Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,707 members, 7,820,470 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 03:32 PM

Royal Rumble In Awka As De Mace Debuts - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Royal Rumble In Awka As De Mace Debuts (301 Views)

Supreme Court: Rumble In Judiciary Over Nomination Of Justices / Rumble In National Assembly Over Lopsided Promotions / Rumble In The Delta? I Didn’t Nominate Peter Obi, Says Wike (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Royal Rumble In Awka As De Mace Debuts by Spiritscience(m): 9:31pm On Feb 16, 2023
Royal Rumble in Awka as De Mace debuts

...Ekwunife versus Umeh

...Umeh versus Dozie

...Ekwunife, Madam NNPP versus Dozie

By O'star Eze

It was a royal rumble of sorts in the first half of De Mace Debate, tagged 2023 Anambra Political Dialogue which held Thursday, February 16, 2023. It was drama filled from beginning to end. The tension was excitingly nerve wrecking.

And the organisers of the debate anchored by Prince Emeka Kalu were so naughty they made sure that Senator Victor Umeh would stand beside Senator Uche Ekwunife.

In fact, immediately Umeh stepped on the Dora Akunyili Women Development Centre Hall, he made to give Uche her 20 yards but at the jeer of the audience manned up to stand quite close to her. Too close for comfort, many would observe.

ANN recalls that there has been no love lost between Umeh and Ekwunife, both having fought it out at the last election and even gaining wins over each other. Umeh managed some 11 months or so at the senate before Ekwunife forcefully snatched back the mandate from him like a true Aguata Daughter she is. You better ask somebody.

So Magic Prince Emeka Kalu tricked them into holding hands at the chuckle of the entertained audience. The five Anambra Central Senatorial candidates held hands as they took an oath not to jump on each other's necks during the debate.

Dozie Nwankwo of the APGA was noticeably absent as the five went to stand behind their podiums which had their party logos displayed. The APGA podium was noticeably empty.

The first spark flew when the APC Candidate, Kodilichukwu Okelekwe raised alarm at what he described as partiality by the moderators of the debate in time allocation. He felt marginalised. Magic moved on with the questions.

Then Ekwunife interrupted the APC guy, Chief Kodilichukwu Okelekwe, when he said in passing that she had spent 18 years in the legislative chambers. "That's not true, 12 years, please." "Don't interrupt me, please."

Then it got to the moment when Dozie Nwankwo barged into the hall looking out of breath. His followers with their branded clothes soaked into the audience. Dozie was seen lobbying to be admitted into the live televised debate. Magic the Master of Ceremony needed to do his magic.

Then suddenly, Prince Emeka Kalu announced that they were coming to the end of the first half of the debate. He then introduced Dozie Nwankwo who he announced would join the debaters but would not be allowed to answer the questions of the first round.

"No, I won't take that," The NNPP female lawyer, Barrister Helen Mbakwe interjected. "Put on her mic," naughty Magic instructed.

"I won't take it. You told me this debate was for 10 am. I was here a few minutes to 10 am and it took another 2 hours before the event started. And you are telling me someone would walk in at any time and be allowed to join us? These are the issues. We need to start making our laws work and obeying our laws..." Magic allowed her to steam out. He then asked that the matter be put to vote among them after each of them was asked to comment on the development.

The two ladies said they did not think Dozie should be allowed into the debate. The three men solicited for mercy though adding that the APGA flag bearer would only participate in the second round.
Magic called for a vote and it came out 3 to 2 in favor of Dozie joining the debate.

Ekwunife raised her hand to make a comment. "Turn on her mic, please."

"I did not remember before now that Senator Victor Umeh of the Labour party is not a valid candidate of the Labour Party. And the court gave him directive to desist from parading himself as a candidate. I should not have been here answering questions when you invited him too. He is not a valid candidate and that invalidates everything we have done so far."

Magic continued the debate without batting an eye, promising Ekwunife that her concerns would be addressed. Ekwunife would not have it. She just packed her things from the podium and walked away.

No amount of pleading by the NUJ state chairman, Dr Emeka Odogwu and other organizers of the event would make her change her mind. She walked.

The NNPP candidate quickly followed suit and Victor threatened to walk away too claiming the debate had been "brought to disrepute by this lady" (referring to Ekwunife). "You can see the kind of person she is."
But Magic corrected him maintaining that the debate must run its course.

More questions were thrown and answered. Then, it got to when they were asked to ask each other questions.

"2 years ago, there was a request to approve borrowing some billions for infrastructure across Nigeria and the president attached the list of infrastructure which had no project in the southeast, you did not oppose it, Dozie Nwankwo, why?" - Victor Umeh to Dozie Nwankwo

Dozie Nwankwo: "I was not in the house then... maybe you were."

Dozie Nwankwo to Umeh: "We promised each other before the primaries to support each other if we won the primaries, why did you leave the party?"

Umeh: "We never had such agreement. You disrespect me the way you called my name. You defeated your father!!!"

"I have the requisite courage and experience and knowledge of the challenges facing our people" - Umeh signed out.

"God has given me self actualization. I need to reciprocate and that is why I am contesting. Give me an opportunity to earn your trust." - APC candidate

The hunk of a YPP guy, Dr Chinedu Umeadi, who said he was still practicing in Canada, kept describing the job of a doctor most of the time in answer to questions thrown to him.

Fact checks by Dr Henry Duru of Department of Mass Communications showed that among other things, Dozie Nwankwo was in the house of reps when the said billions was borrowed do infrastructure in various parts of the country excluding the southeast.

It was indeed a royal rumble of sorts and all who followed the debate till the end enjoyed every bit of it. Kudos to the Nigeria Union of Journalists, Anambra State Council led by Dr Emeka Odogwu, RATTAWU, and all the other groups that were part of organizing it. Bravo to Dr Sir Stanley Onunkwo, the chairman of the planning committee. Let's do it again next year.

Re: Royal Rumble In Awka As De Mace Debuts by Dreal1247: 9:41pm On Feb 16, 2023
Ekwunife was not comfortable with Umeh and used the available opportunity to exit the meeting.

(1) (Reply)

Kogi Guber: APC Group Endorses Edward Onoja / Police Dpo Claiming Boss Over His Commissioner In Calabar / Mr Peter Omeke, Hon. Humphrey Nsofor Visits Dig Danmallam Mohammed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.