Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,597 members, 7,823,604 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 12:16 PM

Forum For Lecturers And Others In The Academia - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Forum For Lecturers And Others In The Academia (3176 Views)

Enugu State University Sacks 153 Lecturers / Salary Scale Of Lecturers In Nigerian Universities / Nigeria University Lecturers' Salaries: How Much? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Forum For Lecturers And Others In The Academia by boloase(m): 7:39am On Oct 03, 2011
I'm a bsc (2.1) holder from a fed. Univ. I need a lecturing job. Any one wilin to help should pls contact me on : bellogenius@yahoo.com or 08060577433. Tanx
Re: Forum For Lecturers And Others In The Academia by violent(m): 2:57pm On Oct 03, 2011
AjanleKoko:

Cramming is part of education, actually.
In fact, it's doubtful that you can get through many science programs without cramming at all.
Nigeria's education problem is not caused by cramming.

I disagree!

Cramming isn't a process of establishing knowledge.  Education is meant to provide knowledge, experience the application of knowledge and then apply knowledge gained in problem solving.

I believe the roots and problem with cramming can be traced to the problem with several course contents and also the way a student's knowledge about a subject is tested. Lecturers are increasingly providing information that are less relevant and not easily applicable in practical sense, or observable in the real world to students.  There are information that your brain shouldn't have a need to hold on to,. . . . . .an example will be the biological names of every plant specie in the world. . . . .in this case, lecturers shouldn't test student for these information as it is impracticable that a student will require the use of this knowledge  by heart, information on this can always be obtained at the snap of your fingers with the gazillion amounts of technology that makes it possible to do so in this time and age.

For instance, rather than give a question that tests a student's ability to remember the "almighty formula" for algebraic equation, it's a lot more efficient to test his ability to derive and apply the formula.  Cramming will mostly occur with the former, while the latter shows knowledge and sound understanding.
Re: Forum For Lecturers And Others In The Academia by Nobody: 4:21pm On Oct 03, 2011
boloase:

I'm a bsc (2.1) holder from a fed. Univ. I need a lecturing job. Any one wilin to help should pls contact me on : bellogenius@yahoo.com or 08060577433. Tanx
u need to get a masters degree to stand a chance!
Re: Forum For Lecturers And Others In The Academia by boloase(m): 7:17pm On Oct 03, 2011
Can't i realy a lecturin job in a polytechnic or college of education. I realy need 2 start from some where b4 getin a masters degree. Some 1 help
Re: Forum For Lecturers And Others In The Academia by Obinoscopy(m): 7:38pm On Oct 03, 2011
AjanleKoko:

Cramming is part of education, actually.
In fact, it's doubtful that you can get through many science programs without cramming at all.
Nigeria's education problem is not caused by cramming.

Mai-suya:

Yes cramming is part of education but its only good when u understand what u cram

I'm really sad that you guys are of this view. Cramming is not and will never be part of education. Education is the process by which society deliberately transmits its accumulated knowledge, skills, and values from one generation to another and ensuring that whatever is being transmitted is applied for the greater good of that society and mankind. When one crams, he/she just stores up both important and unimportant information unto his/her short term memory which gets lost on the long term. Thus invariably nothing is transmitted on the long run.

One of the bane of our educational system is the spirit of cramming which has been inculcated into the minds of our students by our lecturers. That is why the whites will always be better than us academically.
violent:

I disagree!

Cramming isn't a process of establishing knowledge.  Education is meant to provide knowledge, experience the application of knowledge and then apply knowledge gained in problem solving.

I believe the roots and problem with cramming can be traced to the problem with several course contents and also the way a student's knowledge about a subject is tested. Lecturers are increasingly providing information that are less relevant and not easily applicable in practical sense, or observable in the real world to students.  There are information that your brain shouldn't have a need to hold on to,. . . . . .an example will be the biological names of every plant specie in the world. . . . .in this case, lecturers shouldn't test student for these information as it is impracticable that a student will require the use of this knowledge  by heart, information on this can always be obtained at the snap of your fingers with the gazillion amounts of technology that makes it possible to do so in this time and age.

For instance, rather than give a question that tests a student's ability to remember the "almighty formula" for algebraic equation, it's a lot more efficient to test his ability to derive and apply the formula.  Cramming will mostly occur with the former, while the latter shows knowledge and sound understanding.

Well spoken my comrade.
Re: Forum For Lecturers And Others In The Academia by AjanleKoko: 8:34pm On Oct 03, 2011
Obinoscopy:

I'm really sad that you guys are of this view. Cramming is not and will never be part of education. Education is the process by which society deliberately transmits its accumulated knowledge, skills, and values from one generation to another and ensuring that whatever is being transmitted is applied for the greater good of that society and mankind. When one crams, he/she just stores up both important and unimportant information unto his/her short term memory which gets lost on the long term. Thus invariably nothing is transmitted on the long run.

One of the bane of our educational system is the spirit of cramming which has been inculcated into the minds of our students by our lecturers. That is why the whites will always be better than us academically.
Well spoken my comrade.

So you think white people don't cram? undecided

There is actually an IT study series that's titled Exam Cram.
I put it to you again, tell me which student, especially of the sciences and engineering, will not have to cram something at some point. How will you learn definitions that are not numeric? Won't you cram them? Even in the arts. How will you learn Gray's Elegy, for example, without memorising. Even mathematical formulas, you have to cram.

You can only learn methods and techniques, and master them. Academic pursuit is filled with tomes of information, many of which may not even be relevant to your future pursuit. You usually cram to pass a lot of exams.

I don't even think Nigeria's problem has anything to do with cramming. In Nigeria, the academic curriculum is usually static, and doesn't change. Same lecture notes have been used, same concepts are being taught, for decades. Also and most important, there is a severe shortage of teachers. Hardly will you find a faculty in a Nigerian university that has enough staff to cover the course requirements for a semester. You even have graduate assistants in many universities covering 100L to final year. Of course, in order to keep up, they will hardly do justice to the material, just brush over and enforce garbage-in garbage-out mentality on the students. Some even repeat same exam questions year in year out, they are that lazy.
Re: Forum For Lecturers And Others In The Academia by chamber2(m): 9:31pm On Oct 03, 2011
In education, cramming (also known as mugging or swotting) is the practice of working intensively to absorb large volumes of informational material in short amounts of time. It is often done by students in preparation for upcoming exams. Cramming is often discouraged by educators because the hurried coverage of material tends to result in poor long-term retention of material (see spacing effect).[1]

Cramming usually occurs during the revision week, also known as swotvac or stuvac (student vacation) in some Commonwealth countries.

The pressure to excel academically has led to cramming behavior among students as young as five years old.

Criticism for this study mechanism has long been a difficult topic to address and overcome for administrators and teachers of all ages, and numerous studies have been conducted researching the effectiveness of cramming. In a 2007 study conducted by University of South Florida psychologist Doug Rohrer, it was determined that last minute studying reduces retention of material and may hinder the learning process in the long term.[6] Additional studies in rote learning, or memorization, have shown that relying solely on memorization techniques reduces the overall retention of information

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cramming_%28education%29
Re: Forum For Lecturers And Others In The Academia by AjanleKoko: 10:56pm On Oct 03, 2011
chamber2:

In education, cramming (also known as mugging or swotting) is the practice of working intensively to absorb large volumes of informational material in short amounts of time. It is often done by students in preparation for upcoming exams. Cramming is often discouraged by educators because the hurried coverage of material tends to result in poor long-term retention of material (see spacing effect).[1]

Cramming usually occurs during the revision week, also known as swotvac or stuvac (student vacation) in some Commonwealth countries.

The pressure to excel academically has led to cramming behavior among students as young as five years old.

Criticism for this study mechanism has long been a difficult topic to address and overcome for administrators and teachers of all ages, and numerous studies have been conducted researching the effectiveness of cramming. In a 2007 study conducted by University of South Florida psychologist Doug Rohrer, it was determined that last minute studying reduces retention of material and may hinder the learning process in the long term.[6] Additional studies in rote learning, or memorization, have shown that relying solely on memorization techniques reduces the overall retention of information

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cramming_%28education%29

Well . . . nobody's extolling the great virtues of cramming. I'm just saying, you hardly find a student who doesn't have to cram some stuff at some point in their educational career, no matter how smart they are. I wouldn't get stuck on that. If only our students even tried to cram, rather than relying on 'chips' and 'sorting' lecturers for grades. undecided

(1) (2) (Reply)

Access Bank, The Slave Drivers Bank: / Worked For 9 Yrs At Zenith Bank But..... / Nigerian Air Force Is Recruiting 2016/2017! Apply Now

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.