Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,468 members, 7,816,100 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 04:47 AM

Mikel Obi Reveals He Got Robbed Of African Footballer Of The Year Award - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Mikel Obi Reveals He Got Robbed Of African Footballer Of The Year Award (22379 Views)

Chiellini: Ronaldo Was ROBBED Of Ballon D'or In 2018, Madrid Wanted To Stop Him / Mohamed Salah Named BBC African Footballer Of The Year / Vote For Victor Moses As BBC African Footballer Of The Year 2017 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Mikel Obi Reveals He Got Robbed Of African Footballer Of The Year Award by robosky02(m): 11:44am On Feb 17, 2023
Everybody left stage – Mikel Obi reveals he got robbed of African Footballer of The Year Award

Former Chelsea midfielder, John Obi Mikel has claimed that he was robbed of the African Footballer of The Year Award in 2013.

Recall that Mikel Obi missed out on the African top-individual award to Manchester City legend, Yaya Toure despite winning the 2013 AFCON in South Africa.

According to Mikel, everybody left the stage when Toure was handed the 2013 African Footballer of the Year Award ahead of him.

Speaking with Dubai Eye 103.8, the former Super Eagles captain said, “I got robbed of the African Footballer of The Year Award. Before I went, I was told I won it.

“I was at the airport flying to Nigeria because the ceremony was in Nigeria, and Man City was playing, and Yaya Toure scored two goals.

“I won the Nations cup (AFCON), I won the Europa League and a year before that, I won the Champions League. There is no way I wouldn’t have won it. I knew I had won it. It doesn’t matter how many goals he scored. I was in my prime, playing a lot of games.

“You could have seen the ceremony. Before it was even announced, everybody left the stage, people left.”

https://dailypost.ng/2023/02/17/everybody-left-stage-mikel-obi-reveals-he-got-robbed-of-african-footballer-of-the-year-award/

22 Likes

Re: Mikel Obi Reveals He Got Robbed Of African Footballer Of The Year Award by PlayMaker14: 11:46am On Feb 17, 2023
I was really disappointed in the Issa Hayatou CAF administration, dude was corruption personified and made sure Francophone speaking players goes home with the awards.

Eto'O
Drogba,
Yaya Toure
Adebayor

And a certain Kanouté

2013, a blistering season for Mikel, but he was robbed by CAF.

154 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Mikel Obi Reveals He Got Robbed Of African Footballer Of The Year Award by EcoLaw: 11:49am On Feb 17, 2023
Mikel you still remain my African GOAT. You gave your all to serve Nigeria from junior level to senior level and even captain the National team. I celebrate you.

87 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Mikel Obi Reveals He Got Robbed Of African Footballer Of The Year Award by robosky02(m): 12:42pm On Feb 17, 2023
EcoLaw:
Mikel you still remain my African GOAT. You gave your all to serve Nigeria from junior level to senior level and even captain the National team. I celebrate you.

Am waiting how they want to robe osimhen again

This 2023

Sadio mane is injured and out

Mohammed Salah under performing

152 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Mikel Obi Reveals He Got Robbed Of African Footballer Of The Year Award by oweman: 12:57pm On Feb 17, 2023
Mikel should learn how toloose sometimes so he might win sometime s so otherz wont wail on his winning.
Re: Mikel Obi Reveals He Got Robbed Of African Footballer Of The Year Award by sammysmiles(m): 1:01pm On Feb 17, 2023
Wailing Wailer..... He is talking tales by Moonlight. Election is our focus now!!!

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Mikel Obi Reveals He Got Robbed Of African Footballer Of The Year Award by Obakoolex(m): 1:02pm On Feb 17, 2023
angry Bros that was 10 years ago.
To believe you were rated alongside Messi is a wonder grin

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Mikel Obi Reveals He Got Robbed Of African Footballer Of The Year Award by SmartPolician: 1:02pm On Feb 17, 2023
Mikel should stop ranting; Mikel was an average footballer. He used to play well when he was at Lyn Islo and played against Messi in the 2005 FIFA tournament. However, Jose Mourinho murdered his career when he joined Chelsea.

33 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Mikel Obi Reveals He Got Robbed Of African Footballer Of The Year Award by mbahdi(m): 1:02pm On Feb 17, 2023
If u still av d old note with u bring it to oyo state we still spend it here we own Nigeria together and no one will come detecting for us

4 Likes

Re: Mikel Obi Reveals He Got Robbed Of African Footballer Of The Year Award by VeryWickedMan: 1:02pm On Feb 17, 2023
Back passes aren't exceptional

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: Mikel Obi Reveals He Got Robbed Of African Footballer Of The Year Award by 2blessed01(m): 1:02pm On Feb 17, 2023
Sorry ooo.....
Vote PO for a better and improved footballing in Nigeria and Africa 💯

5 Likes

Re: Mikel Obi Reveals He Got Robbed Of African Footballer Of The Year Award by Starboytwo(m): 1:02pm On Feb 17, 2023
To be fair, Mikel is not really an exciting player like that to be winning APOTY. No goals or assist as a midfielder etc. Yaya scored 24 goals that season.

But make una no worry. Osimhen is here to win us 3 back to back to back APOTY.

44 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Mikel Obi Reveals He Got Robbed Of African Footballer Of The Year Award by emnite(m): 1:02pm On Feb 17, 2023
Story storyyyy
Re: Mikel Obi Reveals He Got Robbed Of African Footballer Of The Year Award by Nobody: 1:02pm On Feb 17, 2023
Hmm... Mikel 🤔
Re: Mikel Obi Reveals He Got Robbed Of African Footballer Of The Year Award by atobs4real(m): 1:03pm On Feb 17, 2023
we know. good luck in all other things you doing now bro

2 Likes

Re: Mikel Obi Reveals He Got Robbed Of African Footballer Of The Year Award by superCleanworks(m): 1:04pm On Feb 17, 2023
Chelsea star boy.
Re: Mikel Obi Reveals He Got Robbed Of African Footballer Of The Year Award by Chinonye2022(m): 1:04pm On Feb 17, 2023
robosky02:

Am waiting how they want to robe osimhen again

This 2023

Sadio mane is injured and out

Mohammed Salah under performing
u forgot hakimi

8 Likes

Re: Mikel Obi Reveals He Got Robbed Of African Footballer Of The Year Award by emmanuel596(m): 1:04pm On Feb 17, 2023
Mtcheeew.... watin he Sabi?

2 Likes

Re: Mikel Obi Reveals He Got Robbed Of African Footballer Of The Year Award by Racoon(m): 1:04pm On Feb 17, 2023
A good name is far better than a corruption-ridden CAF award Michel Obi. You got your name etched in the sands of time. Feel fulfilled man.Keep loving your beautiful wife and twin girls. Respect!

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Mikel Obi Reveals He Got Robbed Of African Footballer Of The Year Award by Akinzo2121(m): 1:05pm On Feb 17, 2023
He tried sha

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Mikel Obi Reveals He Got Robbed Of African Footballer Of The Year Award by Ruggedniggaone: 1:05pm On Feb 17, 2023
Re: Mikel Obi Reveals He Got Robbed Of African Footballer Of The Year Award by sunnysunny69(m): 1:05pm On Feb 17, 2023
CAF is run by French speaking people, so this is possible.
Re: Mikel Obi Reveals He Got Robbed Of African Footballer Of The Year Award by Harrynight(m): 1:05pm On Feb 17, 2023
grin

Sometimes your Outstanding individual performances/Contribution/ACHIEVEMENT count,

Mikel was a good player with no goals or assist to his name to boost his chances although he was lucky to be in a trophy winning teams like Chelsea and Nigeria

6 Likes

Re: Mikel Obi Reveals He Got Robbed Of African Footballer Of The Year Award by SenatePresdo(m): 1:05pm On Feb 17, 2023
Mikel how many assist and goals did you score in that 2013?

So if Maguire wins world Cup, champions league and Premier league without any significant contributions, they will give him world best?

All these trophy based awards are useless.

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Mikel Obi Reveals He Got Robbed Of African Footballer Of The Year Award by atdscentofwater: 1:05pm On Feb 17, 2023
pele
Re: Mikel Obi Reveals He Got Robbed Of African Footballer Of The Year Award by samx4real(m): 1:06pm On Feb 17, 2023
cry

No bros... That Ivory Coast guy was better

15 Likes

Re: Mikel Obi Reveals He Got Robbed Of African Footballer Of The Year Award by Samunique(m): 1:06pm On Feb 17, 2023
PlayMaker14:
I was really disappointed in the Issa Hayatou CAF administration, dude was corruption personified and made sure Francophone speaking players goes home with the awards.

Eto'O
Drogba,
Yaya Toure
Adebayor

And a certain Konate.

2013, a blistering season for Mikel, but he was robbed by CAF.

Go and watch afcon 1988 final between Nigeria and Cameron, you will understand more about how much Nigeria was robbed under Issa Hayatou CAF presidency !!! undecided

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Thankful To God’ — Osimhen ‘thrilled’ Returning To Training After Injury-induced / 10-man Nairaland Football Team Hold Yaba Team / Josep Bartomeu Reveals Tough Decisions Will Be Taken After Humiliating Loss

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.