Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,418 members, 7,819,508 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:22 PM

Okonjo-iweala Raises Alarm Over 2011 Budget - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Okonjo-iweala Raises Alarm Over 2011 Budget (4862 Views)

FG To Drag Buhari To ICC Over 2011 Election Violence / APC Raises Alarm Over Withdrawal Of Customs, Immigration Personnel From Border / Jega Appears Before Fec Over 2011 Elections ! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Okonjo-iweala Raises Alarm Over 2011 Budget by aloyemeka1: 1:44am On Sep 12, 2011
[size=14pt]Okonjo-Iweala raises alarm over 2011 budget •Says no record of implementation so far •It’s a problematic budget -Finance Minister[/size]

Written by Gbola Subair, Abuja
Monday, 12 September 2011

NINE months into the fiscal year, the Minister of Finance, Dr Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, has stated that there is no record of implementation as far as the 2011 budget is concerned.

Okonjo-Iweala, addressing a press conference at the Federal Ministry of Finance conference room in Abuja on Sunday, stated that the N4.6 trillion budget was a problematic one.

According to her, the 2011 budget, before being finally signed into law, had to move from the National Assembly to the presidency a couple of times.

As of now, the minister explained that no one could really ascertain the level of implementation of the budget, because there was no record on it.

However, she disclosed that the 2012 budget, currently being packaged, would be different in terms of content and delivery as it would be in line with the transformation agenda of President Goodluck Jonathan .

Giving assurance that the 2012 budget would be implemented faithfully, she said the presidency would cooperate with the members of the National Assembly to ensure safe delivery of the budget.

Noting that good budget implementation is a priority of President Jonathan’s administration, the minister added that the 2012 budget and others would be fully implemented.

She said unlike before when so many projects were undertaken at one go, only projects that could be implemented would make the budget in line with the medium term policy of the government.

Besides, she said a budget implementation team that was assigned to track all the projects contained in the budget had been put in place to ensure good budget implementation.

In the spirit of transparency, the finance minister disclosed that the Federal Government had commenced the publication of statutory allocations to the three tiers of government, so that Nigerians would know how much accrued to each tier of government within a period of time.

For now, she said booklets on statutory allocations to the federal, state and local governments in the last 18 months were ready and would be given to the public this week.

Debunking the allegation of corruption levelled against her by an online publication, Dr Okonjo-Iweala said it was false and “a baseless fiction totally devoid of even a semblance of truth.”

http://www.tribune.com.ng/index.php/front-page-news/28034-okonjo-iweala-raises-alarm-over-2011-budget-says-no-record-of-implementation-so-far-its-a-problematic-budget-finance-minister
Re: Okonjo-iweala Raises Alarm Over 2011 Budget by okadaman2: 1:56am On Sep 12, 2011
NINE months into  the fiscal year, the Minister of Finance, Dr Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, has stated that there is no record of implementation as far as the 2011 budget is concerned.

Is this not the same 2011 budget that GEJ, Atiku, Soludo and Aganga fought over during the elections? undecided

No record of implementation?

I hope Iweala can save Jonathan's ass on this one. Very incompetent bunch, these leaders.
Re: Okonjo-iweala Raises Alarm Over 2011 Budget by OAM4J: 2:06am On Sep 12, 2011
So who takes responsibility for its failure? No one?

The buck stops at Mr president desk sha.
Re: Okonjo-iweala Raises Alarm Over 2011 Budget by Onlytruth(m): 2:13am On Sep 12, 2011
Posted by: okada_man
Is this not the same 2011 budget that GEJ, Atiku, Soludo and Aganga fought over during the elections? 

No record of implementation?

I hope Iweala can save Jonathan's Bottom on this one. Very incompetent bunch, these leaders.

Soludo vindicated again.  cool

I've said it here several times, there is a difference between having a qualification and actually making impact in the lives of Nigerians. I don't need anyone to tell me that Ngozi Iweala and Soludo remain the BEST financial managers of Nigeria since the return of democracy. Take it or leave it.  cool
Re: Okonjo-iweala Raises Alarm Over 2011 Budget by mitofag: 2:15am On Sep 12, 2011
OAM4J:

So who takes responsibility for its failure? No one?

The buck stops at Mr president desk sha.

How?
Re: Okonjo-iweala Raises Alarm Over 2011 Budget by NRIPRIEST(m): 2:34am On Sep 12, 2011
somebody need to review that 2011 budget and come clear on how and what it was spent on! As for my lady Okonjo, we are blessed to have u in our midst.
OKONJO IWEALA FOR 2015 PRESIDENCY!!
Re: Okonjo-iweala Raises Alarm Over 2011 Budget by DisGuy: 2:43am On Sep 12, 2011
NRI PRIEST:

somebody need to review that 2011 budget and come clear on how and what it was spent on! As for my lady Okonjo, we are blessed to have u in our midst.
OKONJO IWEALA FOR 2015 PRESIDENCY!!

on the election. . . with the 2010 budget!
Re: Okonjo-iweala Raises Alarm Over 2011 Budget by OAM4J: 2:47am On Sep 12, 2011
mitofag:

How?

Who presented the budget to the national Assembly? Who is the head of government?

The answers to those will answer your question.
Re: Okonjo-iweala Raises Alarm Over 2011 Budget by okadaman2: 2:52am On Sep 12, 2011
Dem don share the budget finish for PDP election grin grin

And these people were screaming like idiooots when Soludo and co challenged the budget in April o shocked

This country na Kalo Kalo embarassed

No record of implementation? Who wan record $7,000 per vote primaries and other vote buying spending undecided
Re: Okonjo-iweala Raises Alarm Over 2011 Budget by mitofag: 2:53am On Sep 12, 2011
OAM4J:

Who presented the budget to the national Assembly? Who is the head of government?

The answers to those will answer your question.

She is talking about implementation, not the structure of the budget itself.

GEJ's job is to come up with a budget, present the budget to the NASS, and then sign it after it is passed. He seems to have done his side of the deal.

WHat are you blaming him for again?
Re: Okonjo-iweala Raises Alarm Over 2011 Budget by DisGuy: 2:58am On Sep 12, 2011
mitofag:

GEJ's job is to come up with a budget, present the budget to the NASS, and then sign it after it is passed. He seems to have done his side of the deal.

Amodu, Berti Vogts, Sani LULu etc did their side of the job, why do they get sacked for when Nigeria lose matches

No he hasn't, his side of the deal also includes him signing an implementable budget, recruit those that can implement the budgets and measuring performance as we go along, his side of teh deal is A through to Z not just presenting the paper with abc on it!
Re: Okonjo-iweala Raises Alarm Over 2011 Budget by OAM4J: 3:05am On Sep 12, 2011
mitofag:

You still haven't answered the question. Who takes responsibility for the implementation failure?

Dis Guy:

Amodu, Berti Vogts, Sani LULu etc did their side of the job, why do they get sacked for when Nigeria lose matches

No he hasn't, his side of the deal also includes him signing an implementable budget, recruit those that can implement the budgets and measuring performance as we go along, his side of teh deal is A through to Z not just presenting the paper with abc on it!

Thank you!
Re: Okonjo-iweala Raises Alarm Over 2011 Budget by okadaman2: 3:09am On Sep 12, 2011
mitofag:

So the executive is not responsible for budget implementation  shocked

Are you sleepy?
Re: Okonjo-iweala Raises Alarm Over 2011 Budget by okadaman2: 3:12am On Sep 12, 2011
mitofag:

I don't know why GEJ keeps hiring idiooooots to defend him online when I'm here and ready to work for him. Somebody call GEJ to contact Okada_man o embarassed

The Budget Office of the Federation was established to provide budget function, implement budget and fiscal policies of the Federal Government of Nigeria. The Budget Office is structured into six departments - four operational departments and two service departments
:

Is that not part of the executive? Headed by GEJ?
Re: Okonjo-iweala Raises Alarm Over 2011 Budget by okadaman2: 3:19am On Sep 12, 2011
From the Nigerian Budget office website
http://www.budgetoffice.gov.ng/aboutus2.html

FGN BUDGET PRESENTATION
According to Section 81 of the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, 1999, “the President shall cause to be prepared and laid before each House of the National Assembly at any time in each financial year estimates of the revenues and expenditure of the Federation for the next following financial year”.

Accordingly, when the FGN budget is formulated and processed and approved by the Federal Executive Council it is formally “laid before each House of the National Assembly” as stipulated by the Constitution. Budget information is presented in a way that facilitates policy analysis and promotes accountability. Budget data is reported on a gross basis, distinguishing revenue, expenditure, and financing, with expenditure classified by economic, functional, and administrative category. . .

Procedures for the execution, monitoring and Evaluation of the FGN Budget are clear. A comprehensive, integrated accounting system, which provides a reliable basis for assessing payment arrears in the Treasury. Standardised procurement and employment regulations, which is open.

The Department of Budget Monitoring and Evaluation go out into the field to monitor projects and report. In addition, the department in conjunction with the treasury monitor disbursement of funds and its application by spending Ministries of Agencies.

The work of the Department of Budget Monitoring and Evaluation is further complemented by the Budget Monitoring and Price Intelligence Unit in the Presidency.

What of this one?

It's either GEJ is the head of the presidency and the executive or I was born with 2 Va.gin.as and 3 Di/c.k.s  undecided
Re: Okonjo-iweala Raises Alarm Over 2011 Budget by mitofag: 3:24am On Sep 12, 2011
OAM4J:

You still haven't answered the question. Who takes responsibility for the implementation failure?

Thank you!

The people involved in implementation, and that includes but not limited to the following: the NASS, the sub-committees,  the CBN governor, the contractors, the coordinating minister and anyone directly involved with implementation of the budget.

Ofcourse as the head, he would take responsibility for the non-implementation, but to a discerning and analytic mind like mine, I want to dig deeper and see who is not doing their job; who is not signing the necessary checks, who has refused to release money to contractors, etc. We cant blame GEJ for everything. That said, if he is not firing people, then we can begin to put the blame at his doorstep. At this stage, GEJ should not be the first person to blame.
Re: Okonjo-iweala Raises Alarm Over 2011 Budget by Kobojunkie: 3:27am On Sep 12, 2011
^^^ I know God Almighty gave you Brain there, and I want to be believe that you do not, yourself, believe the BULL CRAP you just posted above. ROFLMAO
Re: Okonjo-iweala Raises Alarm Over 2011 Budget by mitofag: 3:29am On Sep 12, 2011
^^^

So GEJ is to blame if a Nigerian in Columbus Ohio is jobless and cant get a good job, because GEJ is the president of Nigeria and is responsible for all Nigerians home and abroad?
Re: Okonjo-iweala Raises Alarm Over 2011 Budget by Kobojunkie: 3:34am On Sep 12, 2011
I am forced to ask now . . . are you a mor-on? undecided undecided undecided undecided
Re: Okonjo-iweala Raises Alarm Over 2011 Budget by okadaman2: 3:37am On Sep 12, 2011
mitofag:

[s]The people involved in implementation, and that includes but not limited to the following: the NASS, the sub-committees,  the CBN governor, the contractors, the coordinating minister and anyone directly involved with implementation of the budget.[/s]

Ofcourse as the head, he would take responsibility for the non-implementation, but to a discerning and analytic mind like mine, I want to dig deeper and see who is not doing their job;

[s]who is not signing the necessary checks, who has refused to release money to contractors, etc. We cant blame GEJ for everything. That said, if he is not firing people, then we can begin to put the blame at his doorstep. At this stage, GEJ should not be the first person to blame.[/s]

This your reply is a terrible cop-out and an embarrassment to me personally. I demand an apology.  angry

The part in bold shows that you know what is right but you are too FOOOOLISH to admit it.

If you as an ordinary unelected Nigerian believes that you should ask and find out who is responsible for non-implementation of our federal budget, How Much More the man in charge? Huh?

What about the man you elected to do the exact same job you are trying to exonerate him from?

Stop arguing with your people, spend your energy and time to challenge your leaders and make them accountable,

That was the reason why we gave him free accommodation at Aso Rock, bought him a Jet, gave him a fat salary and gave him money and power to hire and fire!!!

Stop it bro!!! Stop defending incompetent people!!
Re: Okonjo-iweala Raises Alarm Over 2011 Budget by mitofag: 3:47am On Sep 12, 2011
Kobojunkie:

I am forced to ask now . . . are you a mor-on? undecided undecided undecided undecided

Are you a sl/u/-t?
Re: Okonjo-iweala Raises Alarm Over 2011 Budget by Beaf: 3:56am On Sep 12, 2011
Everybody knows how contentious the 2011 budget was. GEJ kept sending it back and refusing to sign iy cos our great NASS kept inserting various "I wan chop" modules in it. The budget overshot its implementation schedule and things are bound to be messy and frayed as a result, because govt had to go on while the fool, Bankole was "strategising" his chop money with Tambuwal and co.

The 2012 budget on the other hand will be ready within the next couple of months, so there will be enough time to slap down the NASS.

If anything, the NASS members should be blamed. Leave GEJ alone.

If you guys care to read what Okonjo Iweala is saying, you will find that you are completely off trajectory. She is actually saying that the new budget would be prepared in a different way, such that it actually has provision for self recording.

As of now, the minister explained that no one could really ascertain the level of implementation of the budget, because there was no record [b]on [/b]it.

Subtle.
Re: Okonjo-iweala Raises Alarm Over 2011 Budget by Beaf: 4:13am On Sep 12, 2011
[size=14pt]Strange Projects Smuggled Into 2011 Budget — Okonjo-Iweala[/size]
Mon, 12/09/2011 - 12:37am | GLORIA EZEIRU Cover StoriesNews
,  Minister of finance Dr. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala has disclosed that some projects which were not originally in the 2011 budget have made their way into the budget.

Speaking yesterday on the level of performance of the 2011 budget in Abuja, at a press conference, she said: “We are compiling the information on where we are on the implementation, because we have a little bit of difficulties; we are going through some problems now. Ministers came in and found out that some ongoing projects are no longer in the budget or reduced and there are new projects in the budget which they know nothing about.

“This is a very difficult issue which we must look at closely if we are to have a proper budget in this country. And some of the ministers are requesting for virement so they can fund the projects that exist. We are going through that; we are waiting for the National Assembly to resume from recess so we can go to them for the virement.”

http://leadership.ng/nga/articles/5053/2011/09/12/strange_projects_smuggled_2011_budget_%E2%80%94_okonjo-iweala.html

. . .All because of the magic projects the NASS injected or hid for their personal benefit. GEJ got Okonjo Iweala, because she is the best in her field, a professional who can spot the naughtiest figures cooked up by the wiliest thieves (in the likes of Bankole and his crew).

Although the budget implementation is usually recorded on a quarterly basis, the challenges of the budget have affected the ministry’s record, she said.

http://leadership.ng/nga/articles/5053/2011/09/12/strange_projects_smuggled_2011_budget_%E2%80%94_okonjo-iweala.html

Its all about redirecting money to proper projects, away from the long, thin, sticky fingers of Bankole's boy's.
The country is finally getting on the right path, with strong institutions and proper procedures being built, this issue is one for which we should be applauding our govt rather than very strangely criticising it for improving practises. embarassed
Re: Okonjo-iweala Raises Alarm Over 2011 Budget by itiswell1(m): 6:51am On Sep 12, 2011
Na today?
Re: Okonjo-iweala Raises Alarm Over 2011 Budget by homerac7: 6:54am On Sep 12, 2011
@ Beaf,

Fooolish spinmaster at work again.

To b fore warned is to b fore armed. Didn't Soludo and other right thinking individuals raise wanings when d budget was being presented? What was ur principal's response? Now d deed is done and u r running around like headless chicken as usual, isn't it? To b corrected next year, ba? Shows how clueless and Irresponsible u and ur principal r. So had it been a matter of one time decision of national life and death, ur master can't b relied on to make smart judgement? Oh! I forgot, he only considers outside expert advises only on football matters on his  Facebook page. Mumu!

Do u realize dt ur oga is abt a year and half on throne?
Re: Okonjo-iweala Raises Alarm Over 2011 Budget by kulutempa: 9:17am On Sep 12, 2011
"No record of implementation"

No wonder she was receiving death threats after she was given the Finance portfolio. However the indictment is on all of us Nigerians, because of our silence and complacency while we are being taken to the cleaners. To those who are trying to defend the President on this one, don't even start. The buck stops with him. End of.
Re: Okonjo-iweala Raises Alarm Over 2011 Budget by Zeenet(m): 9:39am On Sep 12, 2011
Pity for the Nigerian Youth,

I read so many blind and daft comments here, how can we be future leaders when we say GEJ has done his job by presenting a budget?

Why do EFCC keep squeezing Governor and not the state assembly, LG Chairmen or Councilor when a state fund is embezzled. simply coz he is the head of the system and is answerable to the people. as the number one citizen he is responsible for all that happens to the country irrespective of which quarter it comes from.

In my place of work if i under perform in my appraisal am punished and if it continues sack follows, Until we learn to run government affairs like the public sector we will never move forward, sack a high racking officer in government others will sit up, by now Gen AZAZI, RIGMI, etc shouldn't be under any government employment. reason failure in checkmating security treats.

Nigerian youths, read and digest the constitution of our land, only then can we all collective understand the responsibilities the government officials owe the people and what the people own the government official, as a citizen what i no i owe them is pay my tax, be loyal, law abiding, and protect the constitution of our land. all these i no in my heart i do, BUT they refused to do their part in detail, am not secured, don't have good insfrastructure, no power to enjoy life, health care, etc. WE SHOULD LEARN TO HOLD OUR LEADERS RESPONSIBLE IN ALL LEVELS OF GOVERNANCE.

Our Presidents orders are not obeyed, our judiciary is being manipulated, the media houses are sold out, no one is talking tough to protect the future generation just as a few before us spoke in other for us to have a country of our own.
Re: Okonjo-iweala Raises Alarm Over 2011 Budget by Zeenet(m): 9:42am On Sep 12, 2011
smileyCorrection

In my place of work if i under perform in my appraisal am punished and if it continues sack follows, Until we learn to run government affairs like the public PRIVATE sector we will never move forward, sack a high racking officer in government others will sit up, by now Gen AZAZI, RIGMI, etc shouldn't be under any government employment. reason failure in checkmating security treats.
Re: Okonjo-iweala Raises Alarm Over 2011 Budget by Nobody: 9:52am On Sep 12, 2011
[size=16pt]DIVERSION FROM WIKI WIKI [/size] wink
Re: Okonjo-iweala Raises Alarm Over 2011 Budget by gbainde: 11:49am On Sep 12, 2011
Get a easy, accessible and understandable display  display of the Nigeria budget at yourbudgit.com
Re: Okonjo-iweala Raises Alarm Over 2011 Budget by juman(m): 12:16pm On Sep 12, 2011
Since 1999 the federal government has the habit of not implementing the budget, its always just paper work. Hope the next will be different as she said.
Re: Okonjo-iweala Raises Alarm Over 2011 Budget by akinnux(m): 12:24pm On Sep 12, 2011
That is how Nigeria has been running on auto-pilot without any accountability. In Yaradua tenure, unspent funds were returned to the treasury but now it is business as usual. I can only pray for Aunty Ngozi that 'Olorun a fun e se' (the Lord will help you to clear the rot in high places).

(1) (2) (Reply)

Stop Embarrassing Us, PDP To Members / Revealed, Those Who Betrayed Jonathan From The Inside: Allison-madueke, Kuku, Mu / Who Will Be Pdp’s Northern Presidential Candidate In 2019?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.