Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,478 members, 7,823,114 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 01:44 AM

Do I Take This UK Job Or Go To Canada With My PR - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Do I Take This UK Job Or Go To Canada With My PR (6113 Views)

Japa: Lady Relocates To Canada With Donations From Friends And Classmates / This UK Life Sef (Series) / Weekend Getaway At Niagara Falls Canada With Pictures (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Do I Take This UK Job Or Go To Canada With My PR by BigDawsNet: 6:27am On Feb 19, 2023
JayGordon:
Hi Everyone,

Your input, especially from those with first hand experience would be appreciated.

We got Canadian PR last year and are aiming to relocate to Canada this summer (family of 5).

However, got a job offer (65k GBP) per year plus sponsorship for just myself. I will have to sort of Visa fees for my family as company will not do this. So I am just thinking how much I will have to budget just for the move.

The sponsorship will be for 3 years so I need to budget for NHS surcharge (3× 600 X 4) and visa fees 600 x 4 I think. Also, I think I have to réserve a minimum balance in my account?

I visited UK last December and the cost of living is high.

Option 2 is to continue with out Canadian plan as we have PR. The thing is no job lined up. I have stepped up search though.

ILR will take 5 years while we already have PR.

Anyone with experience with having to choose from the two countries?

Regards.

Congratulations and I can see you hav already made up your mind with ur rite up

Canada is your way forward sir...
Take your family and relocate...
In the next 3 years you guys can apply for your passport... you know the benefits....

Don't worry about the job in Canada.
I won't lie... you will waka small oh... First time usually struggle to get a job at first sight... some are lucky tho... buy I can tell you... you guys will be fine ... just travel with enough funds to manage ur family while you searching for job...

Don't right off the blue collar job... Atleast it will pay bills and it will serve as work experience

Goodluck
Re: Do I Take This UK Job Or Go To Canada With My PR by Nobody: 8:00am On Feb 19, 2023
BigDawsNet:

Congratulations and I can see you hav already made up your mind with ur rite up

Canada is your way forward sir...
Take your family and relocate...
In the next 3 years you guys can apply for your passport... you know the benefits....

Don't worry about the job in Canada.
I won't lie... you will waka small oh... First time usually struggle to get a job at first sight... some are lucky tho... buy I can tell you... you guys will be fine ... just travel with enough funds to manage ur family while you searching for job...

Don't right off the blue collar job... Atleast it will pay bills and it will serve as work experience

Goodluck

Thanks for this advice - the one on getting enough funds. That's the big one because it is not easy to get an accommodation if you do not have a job I imagine.

People renting out would need proof of stable income, etc.
Re: Do I Take This UK Job Or Go To Canada With My PR by 9japride(m): 10:33am On Feb 19, 2023
A bird in hand is worth two in the bush. The Canada own is sure, think about the possibility of getting a permanent resident permit in UK for all of your family? If you need the money urgently and you are ready to wait for few more years to get a PR in UK then go for it, but if you are ready to sacrifice a few period of months before you can be able to settle down then go for the Canada. Left for me, I will choose the Canada. But everything depends on your financial situation.
Re: Do I Take This UK Job Or Go To Canada With My PR by BigDawsNet: 11:04am On Feb 19, 2023
JayGordon:

Thanks for this advice - the one on getting enough funds. That's the big one because it is not easy to get an accommodation if you do not have a job I imagine.

People renting out would need proof of stable income, etc.

That's why I said you have to travel with enough cash.

I believe your application mentioned you will be able to take care of urself for few month before you get settled in canada..

I have a female friends that relocated to Alberta 2 years ago... she had to secure her apartment right from Nigerian even before she brought flight ticket...

It was pretty difficulty for to settle at first but within some few months... she settled and she's doing great now....

If you can go alone... den its fine... u will rugged it
But pls get apartment before ur family join u...

1 Like

Re: Do I Take This UK Job Or Go To Canada With My PR by Nobody: 12:28pm On Feb 19, 2023
9japride:
A bird in hand is worth two in the bush. The Canada own is sure, think about the possibility of getting a permanent resident permit in UK for all of your family? If you need the money urgently and you are ready to wait for few more years to get a PR in UK then go for it, but if you are ready to sacrifice a few period of months before you can be able to settle down then go for the Canada. Left for me, I will choose the Canada. But everything depends on your financial situation.

Great advice there. Thanks a lot.

1 Like

Re: Do I Take This UK Job Or Go To Canada With My PR by Nobody: 12:29pm On Feb 19, 2023
BigDawsNet:

That's why I said you have to travel with enough cash.

I believe your application mentioned you will be able to take care of urself for few month before you get settled in canada..

I have a female friends that relocated to Alberta 2 years ago... she had to secure her apartment right from Nigerian even before she brought flight ticket...

It was pretty difficulty for to settle at first but within some few months... she settled and she's doing great now....

If you can go alone... den its fine... u will rugged it
But pls get apartment before ur family join u...

Thanks a lot for this advice.

1 Like

Re: Do I Take This UK Job Or Go To Canada With My PR by 9japride(m): 1:00pm On Feb 19, 2023
JayGordon:

Great advice there. Thanks a lot.
[color=#006600][/color]

You're welcome.
Re: Do I Take This UK Job Or Go To Canada With My PR by dupyshoo: 4:57pm On Feb 19, 2023
As an Engineer, you might be better off in the UK. Myself and spouse had the same issue as we are both Engineers. I even got EIT with APEGA then but it was still difficult to get a job. It is catch 22, you cannot work as an Engineer without becoming a professional Engineer and you cannot become a professional Engineer without atleast 1 year Canadian Experience.

The decision was much easier for us though as we got our ILR not long after Canadian PR, so we decided to stay in the UK.

My advice is for you to land, come back after and keep applying to Canada while in the UK. You can decide to keep your family in the UK or Canada, that is another choice you will have to make.

£65k is good money by the way, if you are not living in London. You will need 100kCAD job equivalent in Canada which you will likely struggle to get as an EIT.

JayGordon:

Thanks. I have stated the process towards becoming a professional engineer in Ontario. I have submitted my credentials to PEO and I am currently working on my experience report.

Thanks a lot for the list. I know the first and fifth.

The thing I have observed is that they live references a lot. So they love it if you have
a Canadian referee.

2 Likes

Re: Do I Take This UK Job Or Go To Canada With My PR by Nobody: 6:20pm On Feb 19, 2023
dupyshoo:
As an Engineer, you might be better off in the UK. Myself and spouse had the same issue as we are both Engineers. I even got EIT with APEGA then but it was still difficult to get a job. It is catch 22, you cannot work as an Engineer without becoming a professional Engineer and you cannot become a professional Engineer without atleast 1 year Canadian Experience.

The decision was much easier for us though as we got our ILR not long after Canadian PR, so we decided to stay in the UK.

My advice is for you to land, come back after and keep applying to Canada while in the UK. You can decide to keep your family in the UK or Canada, that is another choice you will have to make.

£65k is good money by the way, if you are not living in London. You will need 100kCAD job equivalent in Canada which you will likely struggle to get as an EIT.

Really brilliant information. Thanks. So for information, we landed last year and went back to work on strategy.

So EIT is a prerequisite to becoming a professional engineer? I have submitted my application and waiting to hear back from PEO.

In your case, it might be easier in the UK since you already have ILR and both of you work. My wife is aiming to study and so we will consider a country that will offer cheaper post study education. PR might help?

2 Likes

Re: Do I Take This UK Job Or Go To Canada With My PR by lilbro(m): 6:37am On Feb 20, 2023
seunpinky:

1. Move to UK and take up the job offer.
Good Move

2. Move my family to Canada, this will give me wife and kids access to (quality education and means of life). This will also put them on the part to getting their citizenship.
There is nothing quality about Canadian education, coming from a guy who has a family and has stayed in this country for 16yrs, education is overrated for children here UK and USA is better note i lived in the UK before. yes you guys will get your citizenship after 3yrs then what next??

3. Wifey should take up a small job that would allow her take care of the kids while studying for her nursing exams.
Good move if she is the Hustling type, it is easier said than done canada weather is not mild like in the uk

4. Wify would benefit from the child care benefits of up to 700cad per child coupled with the free education for the kids. The CCB money and her small salary can be used to take care of the home front while u work and save heavily from your UK salary.

Who is lying to you on that one? 700cad per child lol? think am now people go get baby factory and not work again, yes your kids will have free education up until tertiary institution which is not free but u payless as a citizen which is still expensive depending on your income education is not cheap in canada.

5. I would make periodic visits to my family in Canada maybe once a quarter. while working in UK, I will be actively applying for Jobs in Canada and eventually relocate to join my family in Canada.

Good/bad move, but remeber your wife will be working, is it night shift? who will cater for the kids? u may loose your kids to foster care if your neighbours find out and report you. canadians are very nosy!

However, if I were in your shoes, I wouldn’t do this because I don’t think I can leave apart from my family ( I would move with my family to Canada and keep pushing from there)… but if u are not bothered about staying away from ur family then u can go ahead with my advise.
Re: Do I Take This UK Job Or Go To Canada With My PR by seunpinky(m): 12:46pm On Feb 20, 2023
[quote author=lilbro post=121060124][/]

Re: Do I Take This UK Job Or Go To Canada With My PR by Nobody: 6:08pm On Feb 20, 2023
[quote author=seunpinky post=121069324][/quote]

Thanks a lot.
Re: Do I Take This UK Job Or Go To Canada With My PR by Nobody: 6:10pm On Feb 20, 2023
[quote author=lilbro post=121060124][/quote]

Thanks for sharing your experience. What was relocating to the UK to Canada like form your and your family.

Knowing what you do now about Canada, would you do it again?

What province did you settle in?
Re: Do I Take This UK Job Or Go To Canada With My PR by lilbro(m): 2:07am On Feb 21, 2023
[quote author=seunpinky post=121069324][/quote]

This is just generic, ask from people who've got kids and how much they make in a year determines your kids benefit. If you and your wife both each make 100k and above bye bye to kids benefit. fyi I have kids!
Re: Do I Take This UK Job Or Go To Canada With My PR by lilbro(m): 2:13am On Feb 21, 2023
JayGordon:

Thanks for sharing your experience. What was relocating to the UK to Canada like form your and your family.

Knowing what you do now about Canada, would you do it again?

What province did you settle in?

its personal preference, honestly in my own opinion the Uk is better because of proximity to 9ja, better schools and the pounds sterling makes sense. on the other hand there is a huge culture shock when you move from the Uk to Canada and even more when moving from 9ja to Canada.

No i wouldnt do it again, i setteled in Manitoba and moved to Alberta after 8yrs.
Re: Do I Take This UK Job Or Go To Canada With My PR by seunpinky(m): 3:37am On Feb 21, 2023
lilbro:

This is just generic, ask from people who've got kids and how much they make in a year determines your kids benefit. If you and your wife both each make 100k and above bye bye to kids benefit. fyi I have kids!

I concur…

Moving on, I don’t mind learning a thing or two from you seeing that you have been around for almost 2 decades.. you be OG🫡🙌🏽🙌🏽
Re: Do I Take This UK Job Or Go To Canada With My PR by lilbro(m): 4:46am On Feb 21, 2023
seunpinky:

I concur…

Moving on, I don’t mind learning a thing or two from you seeing that you have been around for almost 2 decades.. you be OG🫡🙌🏽🙌🏽

Yeah! no worries what would you like to know?
Re: Do I Take This UK Job Or Go To Canada With My PR by hayor2015: 8:00am On Feb 21, 2023
Re: Do I Take This UK Job Or Go To Canada With My PR by studyless123: 4:33pm On Feb 22, 2023
JayGordon:
Hi Everyone,

Your input, especially from those with first hand experience would be appreciated.

We got Canadian PR last year and are aiming to relocate to Canada this summer (family of 5).

However, got a job offer (65k GBP) per year plus sponsorship for just myself. I will have to sort of Visa fees for my family as company will not do this. So I am just thinking how much I will have to budget just for the move.

The sponsorship will be for 3 years so I need to budget for NHS surcharge (3× 600 X 4) and visa fees 600 x 4 I think. Also, I think I have to réserve a minimum balance in my account?

I visited UK last December and the cost of living is high.

Option 2 is to continue with out Canadian plan as we have PR. The thing is no job lined up. I have stepped up search though.

ILR will take 5 years while we already have PR.

Anyone with experience with having to choose from the two countries?

Regards.

I've had a similar experience but different circumstances.

Relocation is a serious business, consult your spouse and think about your kids in the decision making process. To me it shouldn't be about you but your kids.

65k a year is considered an excellent wage in the UK. This also puts you in your professional career if that's what you're passionate about go for it.

Your wife also gets to work and earn a living and everyone is happy.

If you move to Canada, you'll get a job and you'll be fine. The job may not be in your profession. You'll adjust and everyone will be fine.
Re: Do I Take This UK Job Or Go To Canada With My PR by Mcslize: 8:41pm On Feb 22, 2023
JayGordon:

Thanks for the headsup. So the only issue with Canada I feel is they do not appears to valorise European engineering experience. Almost feel like people have to take junior roles and have to go through the process of Foreign Credential Recognition and all.

Stepping up job search though and the ideal situation will be to get a job before landing Canada. For now, I am making the most of the pre-arrival settlement services, networking and stepping up my résumé.

That's exactly what you should be doing (the bolded). Nothing good comes easy. That doesn't mean you won't have it easy.

Networking can never be underestimated when it comes to landing a job in these foreign countties. Focus more on Networking and put up a topnotch CV that is equivalent to Canada CV standard.

If it is possible, register with jobs agencies as well if you can. Just keep applying through all those Canada job websites. Things will surely click for you. Just have a positive mindset about the whole process.

Things will come just great for you!
Re: Do I Take This UK Job Or Go To Canada With My PR by Nobody: 8:47pm On Feb 22, 2023
Mcslize:

That's exactly what you should be doing (the bolded). Nothing good comes easy. That doesn't mean you won't have it easy.

Networking can never be underestimated when it comes to landing a job in these foreign countties. Focus more on Networking and put up a topnotch CV that is equivalent to Canada CV standard. ³

If it is possible, register with jobs agencies as well if you can. Just keep applying through all those Canada job websites. Things will surely click for you. Just have a positive mindset about the whole process.

Things will come just great for you!

Thank you so much for the tips.

Much appreciated.
Re: Do I Take This UK Job Or Go To Canada With My PR by larrypourl(m): 12:03am On Feb 23, 2023
JayGordon:

Thanks. I used the Express Entry pathway. I and my wife did language tests.

If you do not mind me asking, why do you want to leave UK for Canada?

Quick one bro. Heard age is also a factor. Who was the primary applicant, you or wifey?
Re: Do I Take This UK Job Or Go To Canada With My PR by Nobody: 3:49am On Feb 23, 2023
larrypourl:

Quick one bro. Heard age is also a factor. Who was the primary applicant, you or wifey?

I was like 39/40 when I created profile and applied. I used second language to get points.

Age is a factor for sure but you can make it if you got language or rely on Provincial nomination, etc.
Re: Do I Take This UK Job Or Go To Canada With My PR by larrypourl(m): 9:20am On Feb 23, 2023
JayGordon:

I was like 39/40 when I created profile and applied. I used second language to get points.

Age is a factor for sure but you can make it if you got language or rely on Provincial nomination, etc.

Thanks for the update
Re: Do I Take This UK Job Or Go To Canada With My PR by Littlechild(m): 1:23pm On Feb 23, 2023
Remove
Re: Do I Take This UK Job Or Go To Canada With My PR by hammed71(m): 2:57pm On Feb 23, 2023
Littlechild:
I login just to write you. The entire UK will disappear into the sea. God wants to save your life. Flee to Canada as soon as possible .

Have a nice day.

lol you guys are really silly
Re: Do I Take This UK Job Or Go To Canada With My PR by godstino(m): 3:15am On Feb 24, 2023
hammed71:
grin grin I thought he/she was about to pot something reasonable!
Re: Do I Take This UK Job Or Go To Canada With My PR by FidoNido: 9:55am On Feb 24, 2023
65k GBP a year is a great pay, thats about 110K CAD. Depending on where you are going to be staying, Canada is relatively more expensive. I learnt you even pay more tax than the UK, don't compare yourself with UK residents with student visas who are always crying fowl, yet they payed just 10% of the tuition before moving to the Uk, yet they somehow pay the rest of the fees while even taken care of wife and kids and rent. In your case, you are automatically entitled to ILR after 5 years, after tax you will get over 4k pounds a month, that's easy 7k CAD. Most people I know in Canada are also doing care jobs and customer service and the pay range is usually 10-15 CAD/ hr. Getting the good jobs that pays over 100k CAD no easy at all. Don't be deceived little things like clothes,food,toys and other things we buy everyday are cheaper in the UK.

FYI, my wife and I earn about 70k pounds BTW us and we are doing fine.
Re: Do I Take This UK Job Or Go To Canada With My PR by lilbro(m): 4:56pm On Feb 24, 2023
FidoNido:
65k GBP a year is a great pay, thats about 110K CAD. Depending on where you are going to be staying, Canada is relatively more expensive. I learnt you even pay more tax than the UK, don't compare yourself with UK residents with student visas who are always crying fowl, yet they payed just 10% of the tuition before moving to the Uk, yet they somehow pay the rest of the fees while even taken care of wife and kids and rent. In your case, you are automatically entitled to ILR after 5 years, after tax you will get over 4k pounds a month, that's easy 7k CAD. Most people I know in Canada are also doing care jobs and customer service and the pay range is usually 10-15 CAD/ hr. Getting the good jobs that pays over 100k CAD no easy at all. Don't be deceived little things like clothes,food,toys and other things we buy everyday are cheaper in the UK.

FYI, my wife and I earn about 70k pounds BTW us and we are doing fine.

You said it all!

2 Likes

Re: Do I Take This UK Job Or Go To Canada With My PR by Nonexisting1: 6:48pm On Feb 24, 2023
Masterito:
Hello, I am currently in the UK. Please can you tell me the pathways to Canada PR?
Here lies your answer. Person dey UK still wan japa to Canada. I guess that clears all your doubts. I'll rather remain in Owerri than relocate to UK no matter the job offer.
Re: Do I Take This UK Job Or Go To Canada With My PR by Masterito(m): 6:54pm On Feb 24, 2023
Please don't get it wrong. UK is a nice place but I have my personal reasons for wanting to relocate to Canada.
Nonexisting1:
Here lies your answer. Person dey UK still wan japa to Canada. I guess that clears all your doubts. I'll rather remain in Owerri than relocate to UK no matter the job offer.
Re: Do I Take This UK Job Or Go To Canada With My PR by Littlechild(m): 11:34pm On Feb 24, 2023
hammed71:

It is okay for you to laugh over the word from God. I myself did not laugh when quoting the OP. Before now in 2013 I told someone that, Buhari leadership will destroy Nigeria. And now it has come to pass.

But you will come to remember this word when the UK become non Existing.

Have a nice day.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Sokoto To Lagos By Air / London Vs Dublin / Nigeria's Montage

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.