Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,596 members, 7,809,160 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:02 AM

Slain Banker's (titilayo) Husband Attempts Suicide - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Slain Banker's (titilayo) Husband Attempts Suicide (11632 Views)

Man Attempts To Molest Pregnant Woman In Broad Daylight(photo) / Edo Cult War: Members Bury Slain Victim (photos) / Man Stabs Girlfriend To Death, Attempts Suicide (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Slain Banker's (titilayo) Husband Attempts Suicide by Nobody: 5:08am On Sep 12, 2011
[img]http://api.ning.com/files/r2hSArAYVlOx5Rj7*tGCtBX5VINCBYuiu8-qcTVYfI5kvSZhzYh2eflwhypxkxQy66nCfdzWEK4Kn-Q*zAOSM8FiL8l5yGV9/AKOLADE.jpg[/img]

Akolade Arowolo, the man, who allegedly killed his banker-wife, Titilayo (Omozoje), reportedly attempted suicide at the Ikoyi Prisons last week by drinking acidic substance.

PUNCH METRO learnt that immediately after the incident, Akolade was taken to the Lagos University Teaching Hospital, Idi-Araba, Lagos, where he is still recuperating.

When our correspondent inquired from a medical doctor at LUTH, he said he could not disclose details of Akolade’s condition because he had to maintain doctor-patient confidentiality.

However, an employee of the hospital, who spoke to our correspondent on condition of anonymity because he was not in a position to divulge official information, said Akolade ingested a harmful acidic substance.

She said, “From the tests conducted, we discovered that Akolade took a substance with high acidic content.

“As I am speaking to you, he has just undergone a surgery because his stomach cannot retain solid food. So, we had to pass a tube through it so that he can eat.”

But the Public Relations Officer, Nigerian Prisons Service, Lagos Command, Mr.Chuks Njoku, denied such claims, saying that it was impossible for an inmate to get a toxic substance in custody.

He said, “The way the prison is run, I tell you that it is impossible for an inmate to get his hands on any harmful substance. The person in question (Akolade) is quite ill.

“We always search inmates before they enter or leave prison so there is no way he could have taken a poisonous substance. It is simply an allergic reaction. He just took something that he is reacting to.

“I was with him some days ago and he is responding to treatment.”

Meanwhile, the court hearing on the murder of Titilayo held on Friday has been adjourned till October 26. Akolade is being tried for alleged murder of his wife, Ttilayo, at a Yaba Chief Magistrate’s Court, Lagos.

The Magistrate, Mrs. Demi Ajayi, said the court was waiting for advice on its jurisdiction from the Directorate of Public Prosecution.

Addressing newsmen outside the court, the lawyer holding brief for the slain banker’s family, Mr. Nelson Ekoh, said the DPP had not been able to give advice because it had not received the victim’s autopsy report.

Ekoh added that the autopsy took very long because it had to be very thorough.

“The professor handling the autopsy at Lagos State University Teaching Hospital is doing it painstakingly in order to avoid any error and he confirmed to me that it is now ready,” he said.

However, the defendant’s lawyer, Mr. Olanrewaju Ajanoku, berated the slow pace at which the case was unfolding, adding that it could give room for manipulation.

He said, “If a person is alleged to have died in June, and the remains have been deposited at hospital since then, I’m surprised that the report is just getting ready. It is this delay that has handicapped the DPP, preventing it from giving advice to the court.

“Ordinarily, any corpse undergoes conclusive autopsy within a few days. So, why is this one different? In my own opinion, it gives room for manipulation.”

When asked why Akolade was absent in court, Ajanoku said he was very ill and was receiving treatment at a hospital.

Meanwhile, the Oyakhire family has decried the slow pace at which the autopsy of their daughter, Titilayo (Omozoje), is being carried out.

The remains of the 29-year-old banker, who was allegedly killed by her husband, Akolade, on June 24, 2011, had yet to be buried because of the delay in the autopsy report.

The head of the Oyakhire extended family, Mr. Shyngle Oyakhire, who spoke to our correspondent at their home in Ifako, Lagos, on Saturday, said the delay in the release of the report had prevented them from going ahead with the burial arrangements.

He said, “The autopsy is taking too long. I visited the Homicide Unit of the State Criminal Investigation Department, on Friday and the officer in charge told me that they had not yet received the autopsy report.

“The usual procedure is for the hospital to send the report to the police. The police will forward it to the DPP who will in turn give it to the court.

“But as at Friday, the report has not yet reached the police. It is agonising having our daughter’s corpse lying there at the mortuary. She ought to be given a final resting place.”
Re: Slain Banker's (titilayo) Husband Attempts Suicide by Nobody: 5:10am On Sep 12, 2011
Re: Slain Banker's (titilayo) Husband Attempts Suicide by komek(m): 5:33am On Sep 12, 2011
its quiet unfortunate u put ur sef in this mess, you want to die b4 they kill? Nice one there.
Re: Slain Banker's (titilayo) Husband Attempts Suicide by Nobody: 5:33am On Sep 12, 2011
Mods please move this to the front page because many pple have been kept in the dark about this case.
Re: Slain Banker's (titilayo) Husband Attempts Suicide by itiswell1(m): 6:22am On Sep 12, 2011
My question is 'how did he get the acidic substance inside the prison?'

1 Like

Re: Slain Banker's (titilayo) Husband Attempts Suicide by Nobody: 6:32am On Sep 12, 2011
my guy brace up and face the music since u have done the crime just do the time.commiting sucide would only end in hell.

1 Like

Re: Slain Banker's (titilayo) Husband Attempts Suicide by Nobody: 7:13am On Sep 12, 2011
pDude:

Mods please move this to the front page because many pple have been kept in the dark about this case.
and when they know more about the case, how does that reduce the cost of garri in the market?
Re: Slain Banker's (titilayo) Husband Attempts Suicide by Nobody: 7:16am On Sep 12, 2011
musKeeto:

and when they know more about the case, how does that reduce the cost of garri in the market?

The price of garri will come down to 10naira for 1 mudu. cheesy
Re: Slain Banker's (titilayo) Husband Attempts Suicide by horny4u(f): 7:35am On Sep 12, 2011
I am not sure i like the idea that I Feel sorry for him, cry cry cry
Re: Slain Banker's (titilayo) Husband Attempts Suicide by moreshow(m): 7:48am On Sep 12, 2011
Nigeria and her ill-systems.
1. Autopsy of a single soul neva ready since June?
2. Acidic substance in prison?
3. Why want to commit suicide when d case is jst alleged?

I dey w8 and laf o
Re: Slain Banker's (titilayo) Husband Attempts Suicide by oyedepo1(m): 7:58am On Sep 12, 2011
What a pity. I feel sorry for the guy.
Re: Slain Banker's (titilayo) Husband Attempts Suicide by Abayomin70(m): 8:04am On Sep 12, 2011
oyedepo1:

What a pity. I feel sorry for the guy.
y are u sorry 4 him when he was commitin d crime didt he know niiii,let him face it by him self.killer
Re: Slain Banker's (titilayo) Husband Attempts Suicide by sayso: 8:26am On Sep 12, 2011
Has he been sentenced?the guy said he did not do it.Let the court decide his case.
Re: Slain Banker's (titilayo) Husband Attempts Suicide by Odunnu: 8:27am On Sep 12, 2011
it is well:

My question is 'how did he get the acidic substance inside the prison?'
I know prisoners who have access to the internet,they use assorted kinds of fones including BBs. Our system is lax
Re: Slain Banker's (titilayo) Husband Attempts Suicide by Nobody: 8:33am On Sep 12, 2011
sayso:

Has he been sentenced?the guy said he did not do it.Let the court decide his case.

That's probably true. The lady must've killed herself and chopped herself into bite-size pieces, who knows ;p
Re: Slain Banker's (titilayo) Husband Attempts Suicide by mallorca(m): 9:33am On Sep 12, 2011
time will tell
Re: Slain Banker's (titilayo) Husband Attempts Suicide by violent(m): 9:34am On Sep 12, 2011
Abayomin70:

y are u sorry 4 him when he was commitin d crime didt he know niiii,let him face it by him self.killer

How did you know he committed the crime when the autopsy is not even out yet?

na wa o!
Re: Slain Banker's (titilayo) Husband Attempts Suicide by Okijajuju1(m): 9:38am On Sep 12, 2011
So?! Why waste tax-payers money to keep a murderer alive?!
Re: Slain Banker's (titilayo) Husband Attempts Suicide by edicolove: 9:43am On Sep 12, 2011
^^^Dud this is a husband and wife situation. Husbands don't just wake up and kill their wives. While I will not defend the guy, we must keep our fingers crossed and not pass judgement yet. I have heard some info from family sources that suggest a lot more than the stories you are hearing. Even from the girls family. And it doesn't necessarily vindicate the guy but does give a more detailed insight into the issues. This might just be a case of a fight turned sour from an husband who has been living in hell. Remember the Nigerian ambassador to Kenya case? Now that does not justify any killing but you must not conclude that the guy is just a bare faced killer which some seem to portray.
Re: Slain Banker's (titilayo) Husband Attempts Suicide by Geomel: 10:02am On Sep 12, 2011
Lord Jesus don't allow your son to commit suicide in Jesus name.AMEN
www.web4lagos.com
Re: Slain Banker's (titilayo) Husband Attempts Suicide by violent(m): 10:07am On Sep 12, 2011
How come everyone, who probably heard about the case from the newspapers written by some guy, have concluded ahead of autopsy results or conclusive investigations, that this guy must be guilty of murder?

2 Likes

Re: Slain Banker's (titilayo) Husband Attempts Suicide by doctokwus: 10:30am On Sep 12, 2011
Why not excusing d husb,murder is murder no mata d circumstances,but I wish all d details of d home circumstances dt led to dt ignomious day can b laid open because it wi serve as a textbook guide to oda couples facin similar challenges on knowing d warning signs,wen to withdraw,wen to play d fool and wen to in d extreme quit.But trust us in nigeria,majority are more interested in crucifying dan wat d larger society can learn frm d awful episode,in d process more wi fall into same cicumstances
edicolove:

^^^Dud this is a husband and wife situation. Husbands don't just wake up and kill their wives. While I will not defend the guy, we must keep our fingers crossed and not pass judgement yet. I have heard some info from family sources that suggest a lot more than the stories you are hearing. Even from the girls family. And it doesn't necessarily vindicate the guy but does give a more detailed insight into the issues. This might just be a case of a fight turned sour from an husband who has been living in hell. Remember the Nigerian ambassador to Kenya case? Now that does not justify any killing but you must not conclude that the guy is just a bare faced killer which some seem to portray.
Re: Slain Banker's (titilayo) Husband Attempts Suicide by atasteve: 10:31am On Sep 12, 2011
Why did he want to compound his case!

Taking ones life is not a solution in this case; true repentance and forgiveness from God/man is highly needed as the only way going forward.

God help us to subdue our flesh and its appetites by the power of your holy spirit.
Re: Slain Banker's (titilayo) Husband Attempts Suicide by gee2(m): 10:45am On Sep 12, 2011
a price is and will always be paid for anything we buy, get or give out.

lets hope the case isn't swept under their carpet.
Re: Slain Banker's (titilayo) Husband Attempts Suicide by claremont(m): 10:47am On Sep 12, 2011
I hope this case doesn't get swept under the carpet. This lady shouldn't be allowed to die in vain, the person who is supposedly responsible for her death should face the full wrath of the law!
Re: Slain Banker's (titilayo) Husband Attempts Suicide by bedia01: 11:00am On Sep 12, 2011
Our security system is faulty, therefore, something should be done. That is why the boko harams have taken the advantages at the borders crossing with weapons to Nigeria from neighbouring countries unchecked. Who knows whether the person who brought in the acid briebed someone to allow him in without being searched or the security men were carried away by the order of ,oga, top security officer of the prison?. Our security system is faulty.
Re: Slain Banker's (titilayo) Husband Attempts Suicide by bisiaet: 11:01am On Sep 12, 2011
So pathetic indeed. And how did he get the acidic stuffs in the first place this so strange. Either he tried to killed himself or not his case is a very sensitive case with high degree of penalty no doubt about it. It is a pity.
Re: Slain Banker's (titilayo) Husband Attempts Suicide by dabraska: 11:04am On Sep 12, 2011
i still find it hard 2 believe dat dat man wud commit such a crime! i bliv dat dere's more 2 dat story dan wat we r seeing!
Re: Slain Banker's (titilayo) Husband Attempts Suicide by baslone: 11:23am On Sep 12, 2011
Why hold on to a corpse this long? shocked

They should bury it!
Re: Slain Banker's (titilayo) Husband Attempts Suicide by showstopa: 11:37am On Sep 12, 2011
@Odunnu, how do you know prisonners?Ever been inside? grin
Re: Slain Banker's (titilayo) Husband Attempts Suicide by rocean: 11:55am On Sep 12, 2011
what a pity, cant someone do something
Re: Slain Banker's (titilayo) Husband Attempts Suicide by Kx: 11:56am On Sep 12, 2011
To the lawyers in d house;
will this in any way affect the case in court?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Meet Raymond Igbalodely (hushpuppi)- The International Yahoo Boy(Fraudster) / Woman Beats Foster-Son To Death For Stealing N50 / 10 Robbery And Drug Suspects Arrested In Borno

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.